• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: ROCK BAND 3 revealed

Rewrite said:
that'd be soooooo fucking awesome.
What's BRE?

Also, I hope that the European marketing campaign goes a little better this time round. It's near impossible to buy RB2 in stores here in Ireland.

Damn you Ireland and your inability to release independent software here... Or whatever it is that prevents indie games from being sold and that stops all access to the RBN :(

God's Beard said:
So I'll be able to plug my keyboard into my xbox and the correct tabs will pop up on screen? I'm calling bullshit until I see it.

I am not sure if RB3 will have the visual cues to denote so many octaves. You're simply being retarded if you can't see that you are, in fact, learning the songs note for note on Expert. It's a massive step up from "Here are 5 buttons to denote the ~120 notes on a guitar".

Minsc said:
I think I read here you only need to rent the discs to get the songs added? Or did they stop that (maybe I'm think of RB1 to RB2)?

- get Rock Band 1 disc
- buy the RB1 export key as DLC
- export songs from RB1 disc to the HDD (minus 3-6 tracks)
- use them in RB2, no need for the RB1 disc anymore (as long as the tracks are on the HDD)

it's the same for the RB Green Day disc and should be the same way for the export of RB2 songs.

the unique code on the manual of RB2 or RB Green Day is just for bonus downloadable songs for the respective game (to give you a benefit if you buy the games new), it has nothing to do with the export/import of songs.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Hydranockz said:
I was a drummer for a band. The only drums I had ever played was RB1 and 2. I learned Enter Sandman from the RB1 chart hahaha.

I still am a drummer for a band, learned everything I know from Rock Band. Kinda lame that it took me so long to get used to opening and closing the hi-hat, but I'm familiar with so many base patterns that it's impressed the other guys.

(Also, BRE = Big Rock Ending, a segment on the end of some songs that lets you just flail randomly for points, because what was actually played at that part is too random or convoluted to be worth authoring, or to compensate for a fade-out on the master.)

Charron said:
I still am a drummer for a band, learned everything I know from Rock Band. Kinda lame that it took me so long to get used to opening and closing the hi-hat, but I'm familiar with so many base patterns that it's impressed the other guys.
I had to leech off of so many other bands though.

"Hey can you leave that cymbal, those toms and that hi-hat there? Cheers".
Often embarassing

Apoc29

God's Beard said:
So I'll be able to plug my keyboard into my xbox and the correct tabs will pop up on screen? I'm calling bullshit until I see it.
I don't think it will work that way. You might need to put in the game disc first.

SolidusDave said:
- get Rock Band 1 disc
- buy the RB1 export key as DLC
- export songs from RB1 disc to the HDD (minus 3-6 tracks)
- use them in RB2, no need for the RB1 disc anymore (as long as the tracks are on the HDD)

it's the same for the RB Green Day disc and should be the same way for the export of RB2 songs.

the unique code on the manual of RB2 or RB Green Day is just for bonus downloadable songs for the respective game (to give you a benefit if you buy the games new), it has nothing to do with the export/import of songs.

Actually, you need an export code for LRB and GDRB if you want to import them. They are one time only codes. So getting them from rentals or used games might be difficult.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Hydranockz said:
although it could sound terrible at first :p
Well, it already sounds terrible when you're just wailing at the drums so might as well make it sound terrible for guitar too! :lol

AMUSIX

Before anyone gets too excited about using their own equipment:
you CANNOT use any MIDI keyboard.

Even though the keyboard controller can double as a midi instrument, it is still a controller (in the game sense, not the MIDI sense).

Also, as far as 'teaching you how to play the songs'. The game goes very far in the instruction of the guitar, and does very well in guiding one hand properly on the keyboard. However, it is still a truncated recreation of the skills needed. Equate the guitar and keyboard learnin's to that of the drums in RB2 (well, in RB3, since it forces correct cymbal strikes) which is quite good, but still lacks things like the high-hat pedal and certain sticking abilities.

AMUSIX said:
Before anyone gets too excited about using their own equipment:
you CANNOT use any MIDI keyboard.

Even though the keyboard controller can double as a midi instrument, it is still a controller (in the game sense, not the MIDI sense).
Why do you say this? As in, where be the proof? :p

Space Cadet said:
Actually, you need an export code for LRB and GDRB if you want to import them. They are one time only codes. So getting them from rentals or used games might be difficult.

oh, is this an additional code to the DLC songs one? If so, there is no export code for RB2 so it should work like with RB1.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
SolidusDave said:
oh, is this an additional code to the DLC songs one? If so, there is no export code for RB2 so it should work like with RB1.

If it works like Green Day does, RB3 may have a export option in the extras menu that uses a varification server (seperate from the normal Xbox / PS3 stores ones) to verify the RB2 DLC codes.

First thing I thought of when I saw how Green Day did it.

Apoc29

Hydranockz said:
Why do you say this? As in, where be the proof? :p
This really sucks, but it makes sense technically. In order for the keyboard to be recognized by the Xbox, it needs to have Guide button functionality. But then why can't they do the same thing they do with the USB microphones? i.e. just tie it with a regular 360 controller?

Apoc29 said:
This really sucks, but it makes sense technically. In order for the keyboard to be recognized by the Xbox, it needs to have Guide button functionality. But then why can't they do the same thing they do with the USB microphones? i.e. just tie it with a regular 360 controller?
Makes sense. I suppose it's just easier. If I have a midi keyboard with 12 keys, what's the game gonna do? :p

TheGreatDave said:
Scumbag Blues. Or Mind Eraser.

Although 'Dead End Friends' is my favourite song from TCV, I can see Scumbag being really cool to play. I can see them making the whole album available via DLC mind, so I'm not gonna be too annoyed about that.

Hop

Knowing how Harmonix loves both obscure stuff and Boston stuff I'm really hoping they pull in some Modern Lovers for this one. It's got future members of The Cars and Talking Heads, and keyboards and harmonies, should be an easy pick.

DukeSucks

Archie said:
All (but three) RB1 songs, all RB2 songs, LEGO, Green Day and DLC will be compatible in RB3. The Beatles songs will probably not be compatible and the old songs might not have any of the new features, but that remains to be seen.

can lego and green day be put in RB2 currently, or will that have to wait until RB3? Thinking of getting lego since it's only $20, but would like to be able to just add the songs into RB2.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
DukeSucks said:
can lego and green day be put in RB2 currently, or will that have to wait until RB3? Thinking of getting lego since it's only $20, but would like to be able to just add the songs into RB2.
Yes

fernoca

DukeSucks said:
Yeah you can use them in RB2.
But aside the code with the disc; you have to pay $10 to transfer the songs..and still, is nto an actual transfer.
With the code, after paying..you download the songs from the servers.

Hop

knee said:
Yeah-- where is it?

He runs an independent game shop, and he made it sound like he had inside knowledge a few days ago.

Could just be fucking with us, though. Not sure.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Sounds nice.
I took a break from Rock Band like a year ago, I love it but I lost interest after playing it so much.
...but I think I'm ready to get back in the game, everything in the OP looks good to me. Can't wait.
I can think of a lot of cool stuff to do with the piano, I'd like to see some funky stuff like Isaac Hayes.
Harmonix, consider this an official request for "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic."

Charron said:
He runs an independent game shop, and he made it sound like he had inside knowledge a few days ago.

Could just be fucking with us, though. Not sure.
AMUSIX previously claimed the keytar would have three buttons and David Bowie would be playable in RB3. Not reliable, please dismiss.

Zachack

If the game is going to be essentially displaying guitar tabs I'd love a practice mode where the tabs scroll slowly so I can learn a song and at regular speed with the other instruments playing so I can play along using any of my guitars.

Same with drums, really.

TheGreatDave said:
AMUSIX previously claimed the keytar would have three buttons and David Bowie would be playable in RB3. Not reliable, please dismiss.
Your avatar makes everything you post a bit creepy :p But cheers for the heads up good sir!

Top Bottom