• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: ROCK BAND 3 revealed

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
knee said:
I think it's pretty likely. Generic MIDI drivers wouldn't be to hard to include! :D

How would they interface with your PS3 or 360 though?
They would have to have separate 360/PS3 to MIDI breakout boxes so you can hook up your own rather than the built-in version as shown video preview.

Hex

Banned
Archie said:
All (but three) RB1 songs, all RB2 songs, LEGO, Green Day and DLC will be compatible in RB3. The Beatles songs will probably not be compatible and the old songs might not have any of the new features, but that remains to be seen.

Much appreciated

Oni Jazar

•Revamped song-filtering system. With the Rock Band library expected to grow to about 2,000 songs by year's end, it has grown too big for simply scrolling. With the new system, "you can say, 'only show me songs in Rock Band 3' or 'only songs under three minutes' or 'Eighties metal songs from my (downloadable) collection,' " Teasdale says. "It's a really cool way to take your full library down to a manageable list of songs."

Natal Support Confirmed.

Oni Jazar said:
Natal Support Confirmed.

Dude, no lie, if I can just literally say "'Tomboy' by Bettie Seervert" (COME ON IT'S GOTTA HAPPEN SOMEDAY FUCKIN RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!) and it just scrolls right to it. that would be the most amazing thing ever.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing about this I don't like.

$200 or less for the bundle with the Squier and I'm in.

I already have a Telecaster as a hand-me-down from my dad that I can't really use, so I might as well use video games to learn! :lol

dankir

I sold all my rock band instruments a ffew months ago.... this sounds fucking awesome though now that all the guitars have real strings and shit.

I want to see how this all works! Count me in for sure!

Ashour

The Take Out Bandit said:
Keyboard has clearly been added for one reason only!

61G2YNXF6RL._SS500_.jpg

MAKE IT SO!
You sir have my respect. /bow.

Archie said:
All (but three) RB1 songs, all RB2 songs, LEGO, Green Day and DLC will be compatible in RB3. The Beatles songs will probably not be compatible and the old songs might not have any of the new features, but that remains to be seen.
Was there a export code in RB2...?

Apoc29

HMX, if you're supporting real MIDI keyboards out of the box, PLEASE PLEASE include support for MIDI drums too. I will love you forever!

knee

navanman said:
They would have to have separate 360/PS3 to MIDI breakout boxes so you can hook up your own rather than the built-in version as shown video preview.

Sorry about that. I meant USB MIDI. :-X

Shambles

What I want to hear as an advanced calibration mode that lets you calibrate instruments independantly, and have profile independant calibrations so when I select my rocker I know that everything will feel 'right'. Also take the human error out of the calibration and include some sort of light/sound sensor on the instruments so they can adjust themselves perfectly.

MetatronM said:
There's nothing about this I don't like.

$200 or less for the bundle with the Squier and I'm in.

This.

I haven't touched new instruments since GH:WT, but I will throw all that old shit out and welcome some new shit if the bundle is priced right.

Olivero

I have waited in purchasing a rhythm based game for this very reason right here. Cannot wait. Teach me how to play, O video game.

vg260

The Take Out Bandit said:
Keyboard has clearly been added for one reason only!

61G2YNXF6RL._SS500_.jpg

MAKE IT SO!

I applaud this choice, as it's my #1 album wish, but if I recall correctly, they used guitar synthesizers on this one and didn't use actual keyboards until Seventh Son.

Minsc

Gold Member
Archie said:

I think I read here you only need to rent the discs to get the songs added? Or did they stop that (maybe I'm think of RB1 to RB2)?

Ridley327

Minsc said:
I think I read here you only need to rent the discs to get the songs added? Or did they stop that (maybe I'm think of RB1 to RB2)?

That was just for RB1. Since then, you've needed an export code, whatever fee that may apply and the game disc in order to carry out the exports for LEGO and GD:RB. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the RB2 export since it didn't come with anything like an export code. DoctorWho mentioned an interesting possibility that RB3 would come with some sort of code to export the RB2 setlist, which is something that I can totally see happening.

Ashour

2&2 said:
I applaud this choice, as it's my #1 album wish, but if I recall correctly, they used guitar synthesizers on this one and didn't use actual keyboards until Seventh Son.
Hey they charted keys to guitar before now they can do the opposite. Also I wish they complete the Seventh Son album. Infinite Dreams <3

aristotle

Shambles said:
Also take the human error out of the calibration and include some sort of light/sound sensor on the instruments so they can adjust themselves perfectly.

You obviously haven't played RB2, since those things are already included in the RB2 guitar.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Dude, no lie, if I can just literally say "'Tomboy' by Bettie Seervert" (COME ON IT'S GOTTA HAPPEN SOMEDAY FUCKIN RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!) and it just scrolls right to it. that would be the most amazing thing ever.
Singstar does this and it sucks, those microphones are presumably better than what's inside of natal.

vg260

Ridley327 said:
That was just for RB1. Since then, you've needed an export code, whatever fee that may apply and the game disc in order to carry out the exports for LEGO and GD:RB. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the RB2 export since it didn't come with anything like an export code. DoctorWho mentioned an interesting possibility that RB3 would come with some sort of code to export the RB2 setlist, which is something that I can totally see happening.

My guess is a patch to RB2 that adds an export option to the menu costing $5-10.

Drakken

As someone who skipped Rock Band 2 (and subsequent releases), this news has me legitimately excited about music games again. An actual 2-octave keyboard? Pro mode with actual guitars? Awesome.

Argyle

Ridley327 said:
RB2 came with a unique code, it was used to download the 20 bonus tracks.

I imagine they could do the export by checking to make sure you have the bonus tracks (instead of the empty package you got from say Lego Rock Band's unique code) before letting you pay the export fee...

vixlar

Power of Love!

Now we only need Johnny B Good, Mr. Sandman, Earth Angel and a plastic DeLorean... yeeeeeeeeeeeee

Seriously, Power of Love is one of my favourite songs. And Bohemian... oh my god, I'm glad HMX waited for this game to launch Bohemian...

PedroRVD

navanman said:
holy shit! my secret santa is alive!

Legendbyname

Neo Member
aristotle said:
You obviously haven't played RB2, since those things are already included in the RB2 guitar.
Maybe it was just my RB2 strat, but I tried the auto calibration a dozen times and it never gave me a decent calibration.

Had to keep doing it manually and average out my times.

25 keys? I guess if you only wanna play Evil Woman that's fine :lol

Playing hard mode is close to playing bohemian rhapsody? :lol :lol

I like Rock Band, but don't try and tell me this bullshit.

edit: nevermind you need 29 keys to play Evil Woman :lol :lol :lol

birdman

Archie said:
Guitar, drums, keyboard, bass, and 3 vocalists. You will have your own mini Bang Camaro in the comfort of the living room!

Still about 12 vocalists short, but that's what suspension of disbelief is about.

God's Beard said:

The notes will be the exact same. Only difference is the octave you play them on. Play the song on Expert, then play on an actual keyboard and all you will have to do is move your hands down/up another octave playing the very same notes you were hitting.

Try harder next time ;)

keyrat

God's Beard said:

They probably won't do it but they could have a switch to move up and down octaves.

The game will probably just have you play the right notes while ignoring that on a real keyboard you'd have to move further down/up.

edit: beaten.

Tomasooie

Shambles said:
What I want to hear as an advanced calibration mode that lets you calibrate instruments independantly, and have profile independant calibrations so when I select my rocker I know that everything will feel 'right'. Also take the human error out of the calibration and include some sort of light/sound sensor on the instruments so they can adjust themselves perfectly.
Rock Band 2 guitars have this already (light/sound sensor for calibration). My friend brought it over and the settings it gives you are absolutely perfect and fix any delays for all instruments.

Edit: Shit, beaten.

Stuck

Woah. Just when I thought I was over the music/rhythm game genre, they pull me right back in.

If it really works, I will buy RB3 just to have interactive private music lessons that could teach me things applicable to actual instruments.

Stuck said:
Woah. Just when I thought I was over the music/rhythm game genre, they pull me right back in.

If it really works, I will buy RB3 just to have interactive private music lessons that could teach me things applicable to actual instruments.
I was a drummer for a band. The only drums I had ever played was RB1 and 2. I learned Enter Sandman from the RB1 chart hahaha.

Stuck

Hydranockz said:
I was a drummer for a band. The only drums I had ever played was RB1 and 2. I learned Enter Sandman from the RB1 chart hahaha.

Well if you were able to translate the RB1/2 charts into real drumming, just imagine what you'll be capable of after tooling around in the Rock Band Pro stuff! If RB3 lowers the barrier for beginning to learn an instrument while making it fun and engaging at the same time, I'm all over that.

Hydranockz said:
The notes will be the exact same. Only difference is the octave you play them on. Play the song on Expert, then play on an actual keyboard and all you will have to do is move your hands down/up another octave playing the very same notes you were hitting.

Try harder next time ;)

So I'll be able to plug my keyboard into my xbox and the correct tabs will pop up on screen? I'm calling bullshit until I see it.

Top Bottom