• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: ROCK BAND 3 revealed

atomicgamer

Neo Member
One of the things I really like about this whole thing is that my ION Drums aren't going to be made obsolete by Pro mode. All I have to do is pick up the third cymbal add-on and I'm good to go for seven-pad action in Pro mode. I knew there was a good reason for having each cymbal recognized separately from the drums (and no, having them during fills, with the lag and the horrible sound they make during fills, was not a good reason).

Edit: I kind of wonder if the drum highways will be adjusted to make that work for previous tracks in Pro mode, though. I'm guessing not. Hell, I'm starting to doubt whether Pro mode will even work for non-RB3 tracks at all.

Ridley327

jett said:
Wait...the "pro"-guitar is just another plastic guitar but with lots of buttons? I thought it was more like a fully-functional guitar like the PowerGig thing. Guess not.

There's two guitars that they're releasing; one is that one, the other is an actual guitar.

rock-band-3-squier-controller.jpg

Of special note, though; they will be releasing a MIDI breakout box that will allow you to hook up your own instruments and use it with the game. This article has just about everything you'd want to know about the game at this point.

jett

D-Member
Ridley327 said:
There's two guitars that they're releasing; one is that one, the other is an actual guitar.

Of special note, though; they will be releasing a MIDI breakout box that will allow you to hook up your own instruments and use it with the game. This article has just about everything you'd want to know about the game at this point.

Oh all right. So the plastic thing is gonna be $150. @_@ how much is the real thing gonna be?

And why do they keep using dongles for the PS3?

That gif spells out why Pro Mode is such a niche feature that it's bizarre Harmonix are putting it at the forefront of their press.

Keyboard is the thing that everyone will be excited about. A handful of nerds are going to be excited for Realtar.

temp

posting on contract only
TheGreatDave said:
That gif spells out why Pro Mode is such a niche feature that it's bizarre Harmonix are putting it at the forefront of their press.

Keyboard is the thing that everyone will be excited about. A handful of nerds are going to be excited for Realtar.
That's me!

jett

D-Member
temp said:
Holy shit that looks impossible. How can you read the notes that fast?

Obviously you won't be able to "wing" songs in Pro mode. You'll have to learn how to play that shit.

Official MIDI box is great news.... but are they going to finally swap the snare and hi-hat position? It's been wrong for so long. I understand why they did it, but I hope they consider correcting it for pro mode.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
TheGreatDave said:

It spells out why it's called "Pro Mode."

Raistlin

I'm looking forward to some keyboard, though I'm not sure how I feel about the interface.

For pro mode, I'd rather it be horizontal like vocals - and actually show the notes.

Oh, and I'm a dork ... and will end up getting the MIDI adapter. However, I'll probably use actual MIDI instruments :\

[EDIT] - On second thought, I'd rather have pro guitar horizontal too. Currently it's 90 degree tab, which is a bit off-putting for players.

Raistlin said:
I'm looking forward to some keyboard, though I'm not sure how I feel about the interface.

For pro mode, I'd rather it be horizontal like vocals - and actually show the notes.

Oh, and I'm a dork ... and will end up getting the MIDI adapter. However, I'll probably use actual MIDI instruments :\

I do think it would be nice if playing single player they had a running track with the actual notes to help you learn to read music too.

And BOO YA to the MIDI adapter. Gonna bust out the full sized keyboard when this hits. As for the Pro guitar controller vs the Squire, I will go for the Pro. I live in fear of the price of the Squire.

spanks

Archie said:

Jeez... I hope they're not expecting us to learn through pure trial and error, never touched a guitar in my life. Extensive tutorials plz?

Excited to see what the Natal functionality is. If it's something like real-time motion capture, it could be amazingly fun with friends.

temp said:
Holy shit that looks impossible. How can you read the notes that fast?
Hyperspeed. Duh.

Kidding though. If that's not Pro Expert footage, I'll be shocked. Pro Easy will hopefully be a natural step up from regular Expert. And from there you basically start fresh and work your way from Pro Easy to Pro Expert like a boss.

Raistlin

cacildo said:
If you want it real, just buy a real guitar or keyboard or whatever. No need to buy a game along.

Not everyone has a band to play with whenever they want?

I dont know. I wanted the music genre to grow and evolve, but this seems like the wrong turn for it.

So instead of allowing you to basically play actual instruments, you'd rather they abstract things more? Might as well use a controller.

TheGreatDave said:
Realtar is realtarded. Teehee.

Ok, maybe not retarded, but they're really going after a tiny market with that stuff. Having to buy a fake (well, MIDI) guitar to learn real guitar may prove a bit too much of an expense for most people, I think.

As opposed to buying a real guitar and lessons?

Vandiger

Personally, I see quotes like this from Harmonix

"I think we're trying to answer the persistent question about music games," he remarks, "as in, 'What the fuck is the point?' You know, for people that have gotten really good at Guitar Hero or Rock Band or whatever, they're not musicians. We're trying to take gameplay in a way that actually pushes people to genuine musicianship."

And I'm like...asshole, I don't play fake guitar because I feel like a musician. I appreciate the option being there (and I'll probably buy a halftar) but don't patronise me because I dare separate a video game from real music playing. Nothing about RB has ever been like playing guitar, you can't just assume that's the logical step.

Raistlin said:
As opposed to buying a real guitar and lessons?

The halftar being $150 is a good step, but it's still $200 just to get started learning. I think the barrier for entry in that respect is very high. We'll see. I mean, I'm buying a keyboard and a halftar, so you're not going to hear me say they're bad things.

I like that they are offering options for all tastes and styles in this. We have legacy controller support and legacy gameplay. Then we have the crazy Pro mode for all the fanatics and for people that want to use a real instrument.

I also love that they are making a box to allow use of MIDI instruments as controllers. The only thing missing is upgrades for all old DLC to use harmonies and keyboard. I know some stuff will be added eventually, as it is a huge undertaking, but it is going to make for some odd song choice at parties. Just having a huge library of songs to choose from, but not everyone can play them due to the lack of keyboards.

Ridley327 said:

Something I just noticed about the Squire and Pro controllers: lack of whammy bar. Perhaps missing from early shots, or are they dropping it altogether?

Raistlin

Drakken said:
As someone who skipped Rock Band 2 (and subsequent releases), this news has me legitimately excited about music games again. An actual 2-octave keyboard? Pro mode with actual guitars? Awesome.

Me too. Granted, I've played RB 2 and Beatles at friends' houses quite frequently, but never pulled the trigger myself.

What I'm wondering though ... will fender make bass? :(

Stuck

Ridley327 said:
"If?" They have a pic of it in the article and it's going to retail for $40.

Well, I meant more that with it being announced just today and all, things could end up changing and/or getting scrapped before it's actually released. But yeah, based on that article, it looks solid and I'm mentally setting aside $40 for the box.

Stuck said:
Well, I meant more that with it being announced just today and all, things could end up changing and/or getting scrapped before it's actually released. But yeah, based on that article, it looks solid and I'm mentally setting aside $40 for the box.
You and me both, brother! Cheaper than shelling out for the keyboard controller.

Yeef

Raistlin said:
Me too. Granted, I've played RB 2 and Beatles at friends' houses quite frequently, but never pulled the trigger myself.

What I'm wondering though ... will fender make bass? :(
That's been on my mind too. There needs to be a real bass and/or a halfway-there option like lead guitar has in addition to a freestyle mode for all instruments now.

Raistlin

TheGreatDave said:

And I'm like...asshole, I don't play fake guitar because I feel like a musician. I appreciate the option being there (and I'll probably buy a halftar) but don't patronise me because I dare separate a video game from real music playing. Nothing about RB has ever been like playing guitar, you can't just assume that's the logical step.

For a large segment, I suspect it actually IS the logical step. While yes, guitar and bass are certainly the most abstracted, drums (and obviously vocals) were never far from the real thing. While I suspect casuals won't want anything to do with pro-mode, I bet a nice chunk of the hardcore players will be quite happy to learn something that actually translates to the real world.

I'm actually a bit confused why you're being obstinate? If you've spent THOUSANDS of hours playing RockBand ... why would you be opposed to learning the real thing if it's just as fun when playing the game?

Raistlin

Yeef said:
That's been on my mind too. There needs to be a real bass and/or a halfway-there option like lead guitar has in addition to a freestyle mode for all instruments now.

Fuck it

houseguitarshop-albums-squire-double-neck-guitar-bass-picture3305-front.jpg

DO IT FENDER :lol :lol :lol

Raistlin said:
For a large segment, I suspect it actually IS the logical step. While yes, guitar and bass are certainly the most abstracted, drums (and obviously vocals) were never far from the real thing. While I suspect casuals won't want anything to do with pro-mode, I bet a nice chunk of the hardcore players will be quite happy to learn something that actually translates to the real world.

I'm actually a bit confused why you're being obstinate? If you've spend THOUSANDS of hours playing the game ... why would you be opposed to learning the real thing if it's just as fun when playing the game?

I'm not opposed to it being there. I'm glad they're doing it, and I'll be playing it. I'm opposed to the idea that somebody from a company that's been making these games for years would say "what the fuck is the point of playing them". It's a dumb leap to assume everybody is playing them because they want to play real guitar.

Now me? I wouldn't mind learning guitar. But I owned (and failed to learn) a guitar before I played Rock Band and Guitar Hero, and never have those games made me feel like I'm actually playing "guitar".

Halftar and MIDI box for me. I can finally get around to learning something for the real guitar I have had for a few years. The wife got it for me and I have yet to learn anything on it. I still just play too much Rock Band, so something that actually teaches fundamentals will be huge for me.

And the keyboard she has will act as a controller, and now finally she will play the game with me while sober. She usually only gets on vocals when drinking.

Raistlin

TheGreatDave said:
I'm not opposed to it being there. I'm glad they're doing it, and I'll be playing it. I'm opposed to the idea that somebody from a company that's been making these games for years would say "what the fuck is the point of playing them". It's a dumb leap to assume everybody is playing them because they want to play real guitar.

The context of his statement came off quite different to me. It sounded like he was referring to hardcore players ... and stating that he suspects many of them have asked themselves that question. And I suspect part of the reason he thinks that is because he's been told as much :lol

Now me? I wouldn't mind learning guitar. But I owned (and failed to learn) a guitar before I played Rock Band and Guitar Hero, and never have those games made me feel like I'm actually playing "guitar".

As I said, guitar and bass are quite abstracted. I think the point here is that for people that have no issue putting in serious time, it isn't a stretch to assume they really could learn to play guitar via this game. If all the guitar exports had been playing part 3 all this time, they'd be decent on real guitar by now.

That's the reason edutainment is actually quite effective when handled well. The reward is such that you put forth a better effort than you typically would left to your own devices.

Stuck

PhoncipleBone said:
You and me both, brother! Cheaper than shelling out for the keyboard controller.

*High five*

The more plastic instruments that can be substituted for real ones at this point, the better. Lets just have Natal read everyone playing normal instruments by RB4.

Tomasooie

TheGreatDave said:

They don't mean everyone, they mean the people who spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on the plastic guitar -- the ones who have now mastered the games completely. Harmonix figure as long as it's still fun, they'll be able to give these people a new challenge that, when mastered, will give them a real skill.

If you haven't seen IGN's video, watch it.

Raistlin

What I'm wondering ... will MIDI guitars be supported? They only mentioned drums and keyboard for the breakout box.

Stuck said:
*High five*

The more plastic instruments that can be substituted for real ones at this point, the better. Lets just have Natal read everyone playing normal instruments by RB4.

This

Tomasooie said:
They don't mean everyone, they mean the people who spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on the plastic guitar -- the ones who have now mastered the games completely. Harmonix figure as long as it's still fun, they'll be able to give these people a new challenge that, when mastered, will give them a real skill.

Thank you

My wife has a keyboard cuz she wanted to learn to play piano and I just looked to see that it has a MIDI out port. Is there any reason to have the peripheral over the midi box adapter at that point for someone who is a complete beginner?

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I knew drums would have retroactive Pro Mode. Guess I'm gonna need to get a new non-busted RB2 drum kit now.

Top Bottom