• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USB and DLNA support coming soon to Xbox One - MKV Support

Spasm

I would be shocked and delighted if Xbox's MKV supported 5.1 DTS audio. Most devices on the market downmix 5.1 to 2.0. If Xbox did 5.1, I could finally ditch my Western Digital media player.

Edit: Looks like AAC only? Dang. Looks like I will still need to find another media box for the living room. Good try, though, guys.

pr0cs

I'm glad to see they've stepped up their media connectivity since the 360, I lost count how many times I had to do something goofy to get my media to play last gen.
This is what Microsoft is good at, making a usable OS with a lot of features, I hope they continue.
I'd really like to see some sort of 'remote desktop' with Win8&9, that would be awesome.

Sadly they already said it would be a 2015 feature (DNLA, media player was said to come next winter). So fucking laughable.
But yeah, we can hope it will now come sooner*

*File formats supported: MP4 (h264, ACC only)

Nice one, MS. Didn't the 360 not even support to look at photos? Sounds like a nice new all-in-one media app.

Yeah, 2015, wtf. I like my PS4, it is a great gaming machine but come on Soony...

Let me do/customize something with the OS. Like changing the BLUE BACKGROUND, fuck, this shit takes too long.

Malechai

Kudos to Microsoft for adding so much new stuff all the time and quickly. I'm starting to get pissed off at Sony and thinking I should have got an Xbox One.

The formats supported is nice but this was hidden in the same announcement:

Stream TV to SmartGlass – launching first in markets receiving the Xbox Digital TV Tuner, Xbox One owners will be able to stream their TV across their home network to their smartphones and tablets using the Xbox SmartGlass app. They can also pause, play and rewind as well as change channels, without interrupting gameplay on the Xbox One. This will work for SmartGlass apps on Windows, iOS, and Android.

Just as huge for me.

Goldrusher

Mkv is very nice

Can't see Sony going for that though.
Why not? Their BD-players support it.

http://store.sony.com/wi-fi-sup-sup...jAABvUIIJBGGPl9GYibMzh-7YidhR?_t=pfm=category

Supported Media Video

XVID : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA)
Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB)
VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB)
MPEG-4/AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB)
MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg .mpeg, .m2ts, .mts) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA)
AVCHD Disc Format Folder : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA)
WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA)
MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA)
MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS ( .mpg.mpeg, .m2ts, .mts) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB, DLNA)

Supports mkv container with VC1, WMV9 and MPEG4 codecs, stored on BD, DVD, CD, USB and through DLNA.

Derpcrawler

Which, let's keep it real, is probably why so many want it, although I use apps like MakeMKV to digitalize my Blu-Rays. It's probably not really legal as well, but I paid for the disk and I am not sharing it, so I see legitimate benefit here as well.

Well when there is no legal option to watch some of the series or movies in some countries, other than pirate them (Game of Thrones) or import BluRay which might get sent back by customs, then you can see why this format is so popular.

I am in China, and I would like to have access to HBO Go or Netflix, but they are IP locked. I still buy movies on BluRay, the ones I don't go to watch to cinema, but I have no other option than to download pirated TV series like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, which will never ever be released in China or which will probably get banned by the customs if I try to import. I think lot of people in Europe are in the same situation where they just don't have a legal option to buy/rent lot of TV series or movies.

Also to my surprise Xbox Music doesn't have any IP checks and I can pay for the sub and listen to music legally, which is why I use Xbox Music instead of Spotify or iTunes (which does work in China, but have limited selection and stupid prices).

Sure, what a nincompoop I am, I can't even find where I said Sony made MKV.

Someone talking about DLNA but not about MKV, in a thread that's talking a lot about MKV.

Of course, he maybe ONLY be talking about streaming MP3's using DLNA correct? So it's not odd right? to say that you are selling your "gaming" console and buying another one to stream MP3's. That made a lot of sense, mea culpa.

Well I mean, the guy you quoted said he's disappointed that the makers of DLNA (Sony) didn't have it out yet. He didn't specifically say MKV, only that Sony (again the makers of DLNA) who had the better idea (inventing DLNA) haven't implemented it yet ("sitting on their "Laurels"). Just saying, don't spit venom at a guy you quote for some agenda.

Nice work MS, you're really hitting some software homeruns!
I was concerned I MIGHT get to the point where I would regret jumping platforms, due to the great software experience I had with MS in the past. Updates like these aren't helping.

I would be shocked and delighted if Xbox's MKV supported 5.1 DTS audio. Most devices on the market downmix 5.1 to 2.0. If Xbox did 5.1, I could finally ditch my Western Digital media player.

Edit: Looks like AAC only? Dang. Looks like I will still need to find another media box for the living room. Good try, though, guys.

It's always half-arsed isn't it? Back to the drawing board I suppose :)

Ah, piracy. Got it! Don't see this being a deal-breaker for the masses then, but it's nice if you don't like to pay for your media I guess.

MKV is open source and the best video container format, which is why it's also used with piracy.

Not every new feature has to be implemented because it's a "deal breaker" or a "system seller for the masses" some of them are just nice to haves. Streaming MKV support has been the biggest home theater related request for consoles since the 360 and PS3 came out.

I remember early on with the 360 there were ways to stream MKV content but it required way more work than it was worth.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
qdJf1Au.png

ewCj2Zm.png

vqfKPdA.png

wwIYyhz.png

SFiTbQ5.png

wooooo where is the video for this?

Paragon Pariah

Neo Member
Sounds all well and good but I wonder if we will be able to stream music while playing games and if the games will turn off their music automatically like 360 games do. If not, then they still have a little catching up to do.

vypek

MKV support is pretty awesome. I know its great but I feel odd about its presence since many of my media is now split into different file types which I don't like. lol

see5harp

Be happy. NTFS, FAT and FAT32 devices all work for USB.

Well damn that's cool. If you can run in snap mode I guess there's a solution for custom soundtracks at least until they allow music to run in the background. I'd probably play more open world grindfests on xboxone if this is true.

Vroadstar

Gold Member
Well I mean, the guy you quoted said he's disappointed that the makers of DLNA (Sony) didn't have it out yet. He didn't specifically say MKV, only that Sony (again the makers of DLNA) who had the better idea (inventing DLNA) haven't implemented it yet ("sitting on their "Laurels"). Just saying, don't spit venom at a guy you quote for some agenda.

Sure, so disappointed that selling your "gaming" console & buying another one because it can't do DLNA "FIRST" right? Even when all along you even mentioned a Sony rep on Reddit says it'll come early 2015. By pointing it out apparently I'm spitting venom and looking for an agenda, right.

Here I am, thinking only politicians hate to be misquoted.

Well its about time!

But not really because for some reason its still seemingly far away (mkv).

Not that I planned to unhook my 360 any time soon, still got so much I want to play on it. But playing media is a huge part of it too.

Top Bottom