• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USB and DLNA support coming soon to Xbox One - MKV Support

prateeko

I don't own an XB1, but does it still allow for custom soundtrack with any game ala 360? That is a killer feature I was disappointed to not see on PS3 or PS4.

FZW

this is good news, but importantly I want to be able to push DLNA content directly to Xbox one via a controller - eg using my tablet to browse and then play on my TV. I can actually already do this direct to my Sony TV, but I think it is important considering the 'input one' nature of Xbox 1 so you can play things without having to specifically launch a separate app

this has been on XB1 from day 1... i do it everyday

sunofsam

this is good news, but importantly I want to be able to push DLNA content directly to Xbox one via a controller - eg using my tablet to browse and then play on my TV. I can actually already do this direct to my Sony TV, but I think it is important considering the 'input one' nature of Xbox 1 so you can play things without having to specifically launch a separate app

XB1 currently has "some" DLNA support using PlayTo. You pick your content on your PC and use PlayTo, You can use an android app Skifta to perform the same actions but via mobile.

The upcoming XB1 DLNA update is to allow it to Browse via DLNA.

sk3

Banned
Sony would probably support MKV as well. The PS3 had Cinavia, which muted audio if it found a "protected" audio signature, basically the same thing twitch is doing now. I assume PS4 would get the same treatment, so regardless of your codec, sony will have protective measures.

Vestal

Gold Member
The formats supported is nice but this was hidden in the same announcement:

Stream TV to SmartGlass – launching first in markets receiving the Xbox Digital TV Tuner, Xbox One owners will be able to stream their TV across their home network to their smartphones and tablets using the Xbox SmartGlass app. They can also pause, play and rewind as well as change channels, without interrupting gameplay on the Xbox One. This will work for SmartGlass apps on Windows, iOS, and Android.

Just as huge for me.

This is fucking awesome.

Microsoft on the ropes = Best Microsoft.

ph00p

Banned
AAC can do surround and also ADTS is DTS with an A infront of it. I've seen DTS pharsed as "A_DTS" in some dark corners.

watership

My most requested feature. With the huge codec support, i won't have to convert my mkvs anymore. Fantastic news. Can't wait to try it out.

Oh and MS, if you let us SNAP this app, you'll be heroes.

And while I'm talking about that.. I'd love a modified snap mode that just Picture-in-Picture's a video stream. It would be so much better than just taking that 1/4th slick out of the horizontal.

watership

The One will also gain the ability to stream TV on a local network to smartphones and tablets running the Xbox SmartGlass app.

I missed this at first. This will be perfect since I only have one tv right now.

edit: oops. double post. Didn't check before posting. I guess this thread isn't moving anymore.

Krilekk

Banned
Yeah, PiP is my most wanted feature for all video apps. X1 wins the media predominance in my living room, it's silent, it will offer every media playback I need. Back to what Xbox with XBMC once was.

Tablo

Don't have a XB1 yet, but I love seeing this commitment to added functionality, this is what adds value to a consumer product. Thanks MS. and thank you competition for probably adding to this rapid update cycle.

The TV streaming seems awesome, I wonder if it'll make its way to the US. And does it do that over your home WiFi? That would be good, could stream TV from XB1 to around the house etc
FLAC playback would be nice too, I mean I guess this is already so ahead of the competition I can't rly complain about it not literally doing everything my PC with MPC HC does xD

This was the only thing that was gonna make me jump on the x1... and its happening.

unless sony releases info and dates for their support for dlna soon

Guerrilla

nice! Finally!

TV-Streaming is also insanely awesome! I can finally watch the same in the kitchen that i watch in the living room. The Tv Streaming is only for the addon box right? No passthrough streaming, correct?

pukko

Neo Member
Yeah, PiP is my most wanted feature for all video apps. X1 wins the media predominance in my living room, it's silent, it will offer every media playback I need. Back to what Xbox with XBMC once was.

The Xbox One name finally makes sense, it is a homage to the old xbox, which was the ultimate htpc back then? Kinda sad it took 10+ years to get relatively close to the XBMC format support, but if this works well I might actually retire my htpc even if it is pretty new. Controlling a PC using a remote is a pain, and even more so if one uses netflix or other streaming services. Really looking forward to see how this will work on the xbone

The Xbone might actually be the media center that Sony envisioned when they built the PSX (ps2 pvr). I would really like to see some competition in this area, but I don't have much faith in Sonys software departement. Rumor has it that the PS4 will get mp3 support by Christmas? DLNA next year? MKV support sometime in 2017 then?

mollipen

Low file size, high quality.

MKV is a container—it is not the same thing as what codecs are inside of it.

This is the problem that I have with MKV, because a lot of people think they like MKV when they actually like the audio and video codecs inside of it that could just as easily be in a more compatible container. MKV definitely has some benefits in what it can support, but it frustrates me to no end when I see people distributing MKV files that could have just been an MP4 because there's no benefit at all gained from the MKV container (other than it being the "cool" thing to do).

KAOS

This will easily make the X1 my console of choice. I hope it's an non intrusive app that works in conjunction with others and doesn't take much real estate. In terms of playing mp3's from your usb/device I hope it's a layer interface that can pop up and disappear by choice and play in the background. Get it done MS! Been waiting toooooooo long for this!!!

I remember the days of XBMC dashboard. Still have it installed but the xbox is under my bed hibernating.

statham

Is there a program that will convert HDDVDs into mkv or another supporting file? I would love to be able to watch my 60+hddvds without having to pull out my 360+hddvd player.

edit: I also guess this would mean I need a hddvd player in my computer to convert: ah nevermind.

Whogie

Really excited by this news. I've been anxiously anticipating this since the XB1 was announced.

MKV is really surprising coming from MS! Maybe they'll throw in support in Windows 9 while they're at it :)

Is there a program that will convert HDDVDs into mkv or another supporting file? I would love to be able to watch my 60+hddvds without having to pull out my 360+hddvd player.

edit: I also guess this would mean I need a hddvd player in my computer to convert: ah nevermind.

You can hook up your Xbox 360 HDDVD drive to your computer and rip it through MakeMKV. Subtitles didn't seem to rip for me correctly last time I tried, though.

statham

sorry, but this makes me giddy, if I can finally box up all my dvds/blurays/hddvds and run everything off of one drive. I hope the interface is nice. A 5TB drive should give me alot of extra room by my quick math.

ViciousDS

Banned
MKV.............HOLY SHIT MKV!

If Sony doesn't follow suit by the end of the year the X1 will be my new media box.....damn.

(currently, still using my PS3 with PSMS or my FireTV with plex)

But MKV through USB is megaton and makes me want an xbox one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
.mkv support is actually the first thing to make me take notice of microsoft

Top Bottom