• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USB and DLNA support coming soon to Xbox One - MKV Support

Go Microsoft! Looks like the PS3 will finally be retired to the bedroom.

They genuinely are making this a pretty solid media machine when all of this comes to fruition. It's all about the delivery, and this is a much smarter method than the original "T.V Box" at E3 two years ago. Keep an emphasis on games, but make us even happier with these perks.

Improving line-up of games and solid media capabilities. Have barely touched my One since I purchased it, but it will be used in force this Fall as an exclusives/media machine.

NekoFever

Sony would probably support MKV as well. The PS3 had Cinavia, which muted audio if it found a "protected" audio signature, basically the same thing twitch is doing now. I assume PS4 would get the same treatment, so regardless of your codec, sony will have protective measures.

The Xbox One will have Cinavia as well. All Blu-ray players have to now.

This is the problem that I have with MKV, because a lot of people think they like MKV when they actually like the audio and video codecs inside of it that could just as easily be in a more compatible container. MKV definitely has some benefits in what it can support, but it frustrates me to no end when I see people distributing MKV files that could have just been an MP4 because there's no benefit at all gained from the MKV container (other than it being the "cool" thing to do).

The MP4 container is way more limited. It only supports H.264 video, only supports three audio formats (AAC, AC3/Dolby Digital, PCM), and supports a limited number of audio and subtitle tracks.

I have all my DVDs and most of my Blu-rays ripped to MKV, and it wouldn't be possible to keep the ones with MPEG-2 or VC-1 video as MP4s. Ditto for any of the wide range of audio formats in them that MP4 doesn't support - DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD, FLAC, etc. And it only supports its own subtitle format, whereas my MKVs can contain the vobsub or PGS subtitles direct from the DVD/BD.

And the fact is MKV is widely supported outside, oddly, games consoles. All software media players can handle it. I have a Blu-ray player from six years ago that supports it, and most smart TVs do now. Even Sony TVs and BD players have for a couple of years. Consoles have been lagging here for no real reason.

chugen

igUAOaFMPAvZC.gif

with DLNA support coming soon. Xbox One will support more formats than Xbox 360, including support for dozens of new file formats like mpeg 2 TS, animated gifs and mkv which will be added by the end of the year. See below for additional file formats.

3gp audio
3gp video It is used on 3G mobile phones but can also be played on some 2G and 4G phones.
3gp2
aac
adts
animated gif
asf
avi divx
avi dv
avi uncompressed
avi xvid
bmp
jpg
gif
h264 avchd
mjpeg
mkv
mov
mp3
mpeg 1 ps
mpeg 2
mpeg 2 hd
mpeg 2 ts
mpeg 4 h264 aac
mpeg 4 sp
png
tiff
wav
wma
wma lossless
wma pro
wma voice
wmv
wmv hd

Thank overdrivex and Albert Penello for the tip. And rayisbeast for reminding me to include a source :p
Source

Incompatible if old.

I wonder at all the containers and codecs supported in the Xbox1 list. MKV is a proposed open source standard container for HTML5 <video> but some of the others are just overkill. Also the requirements for DLNA CVP2 are much fewer.

Is the above an effort to make the XB1 the ultimate home console that supports every codec and container that could possibly be coming across the Internet or used by DLNA. Not in the list is VP9 or HEVC; coming in a later update? Is this one of the features that differentiates the XB1 and possibly the PS4?

For instance 3gp video is used on 3G mobile phones but can also be played on some 2G and 4G. So XB1 will transcode to or play from Phones. This is in addition to DLNA CVP2 codecs required for Phones and Tablets.

JaggedSac

any word on a plex app yet? I heard someone was building on @IDxbox

He got asked to not break his NDA. A beta was forthcoming, and presumably still is, so that is the last we have heard. He wrote a blog post about adding Kinect support to PHT and also about a Kinect game he is creating.

Plex Home Theater with Kinect

Murmur Games would like to take this opportunity to officially announce development of Kinect support for Plex Home Theater.

Those who wish to use the Kinect V2 for Windows Sensor in conjunction with their Windows 8.1 Home Theater PC will be able to make use of the following newly added functionality in the near term:
Natural Language Voice Commands
Queue Management

"Plex, Play the Sequel"
"Plex, Play the Next Episode"
"Plex, Pick a random movie from 2013 with 4 stars or more in Science Fiction"

Playback Controls

"Plex, turn on English Subtitles"
"Plex, rewind 47 seconds"
"Plex, go back 3 chapters"
"Plex, pause until I get back"
"Plex, skip the credits"

Motion Gestures
Hand Controls

As with other Kinect V2 apps, the standard controls like Clench a Fist to move, push to select, and the like are coming along for the ride. Additional gestural inputs are being designed, however will not be included in the first public release of Plex Home Theater with Kinect.
Biometric ID Profiles

Biometric Profiles makes for a really interesting add-on for Plex.

Not only does it allow for users to maintain their own separate queues that will appear as soon as they enter the room, but they can set up their own automation scripting such as "Pause until I get back" or "When I get home, play the next episode of Archer".

Beyond those details, it also opens the door to restricting library content so that parents can say "Timmy can't watch Rated R movies" and have them not even shown when he's in the room.

Details like those require collaboration and integration within Plex Media Server, however with the ease of implementation of Biometric ID with the use of the Kinect Sensor, the ability to support such functionality is going in from the very beginning in Plex Home Theater with Kinect.
Plex Home Theater is still Open Source!

Nothing that's been done here is intended to be kept secret sauce, and in fact I couldn't do that even if I wanted to. Plex Home Theater is itself an Open Source Application, and all work that I am doing to improve it is going back to the community freely.

The Voice and Gestural Plugins that I've been developing are just that, plugins. Further, they are designed in such a way that they can be multi-licensed so that their work can go into other products freely with whatever license terms you see fit.

This work was done because I am passionate about it, not to make money. Plex has provided me with supreme enjoyment for many, many years and this is a way that I can give back as well as help to make it a little better.

A git repository will be published soon so that anyone who wants to assist in development as well can do so, or you can simply pull down a copy and load it on your own computer to play. Details on binary pushes are still being worked out, but if you want to take part in alpha, keep an eye on either this page, the Blog, or the Official Plex Forums.

The knowledge gained through this project will certainly be useful in the development of my Gaming Titles over the coming months.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
^ wow great stuff.

I am currently looking for 4TB External HDD deals. I have TONS and TONS of media. This is my wet dream seriously. I was going to build a budget PC for my home theater and Xbox One is just too perfect now.

JaggedSac

^ wow great stuff.

I am currently looking for 4TB External HDD deals. I have TONS and TONS of media. This is my wet dream seriously. I was going to build a budget PC for my home theater and Xbox One is just too perfect now.

Yep, the dude has a real passion about dealing with this type of stuff and you can tell by the way he discusses it. All of this will be in his Plex app for the Bone no doubt. Definitely looking forward to it. And now that the box natively supports all of these codecs, my server won't have to do any transcoding or remuxing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Can Albert (or anyone) confirm that the MKV support will be complete?

All mine have either DTS, DD 5.1 or Master Audio as the audio codec. It's pointless if these won't work.

Not going to re-rip everything.

nib95

Banned
MKV support is amazing. If my TV didn't already support it (along with USB 3.0) this would have been a big thing for me. So much more convenient playing MKV files straight off the USB stick compared to having to connect your laptop to a TV via HDMI, or other means.

Why are people asking for Plex support when the system is going to (hopefully) support all file formats? Just get it to read your video folder so you don't get Plex destroying your quality with transcoding.

FZW

Why are people asking for Plex support when the system is going to (hopefully) support all file formats? Just get it to read your video folder so you don't get Plex destroying your quality with transcoding.

First of all, Plex is already confirmed to be coming and second, Plex isn't just about playing multiple formats. It's library management and Plex server support is a great asset for media device.

Also, Plex won't transcode formats that are already supported. So the more formats natively supported,the better plex will be.

cookienut

Banned
We still need confirmed if Cineva will be implemented here and if Dolby Digital/DTS and Dolby/DTS HD tracks within MKV will be supported. If those 2 criteria cannot be met, then it's usefulness will no where near be effective.

ohlawd

MKV support is amazing. If my TV didn't already support it (along with USB 3.0) this would have been a big thing for me. So much more convenient playing MKV files straight off the USB stick compared to having to connect your laptop to a TV via HDMI, or other means.
my TV supports it too but it's slow at it and not as robust

I'm sure MS implementation will be loads better.

Not everyone wants to have an external hard.drive hooked up to their Xbox One. Or have to use one at all.

Plus who wants to scroll through thousands of files.

Plus the voice commands will be more robust on Plex.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Fuckin' A this codec support is baller!
I'm jealous of you Xbone owners, absolutely.

Caayn

Apparently soon means really soon. Microsoft has started rolling out a the September preview update which includes USB media playback capabilities, it's lacking DLNA but that's supposed to come soon.

Source

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I bet they have a counter announcement soon just like 3D Blu Ray if even just vague bullshit like "Soon" and "this holiday".

No way in hell Sony does MKV though. lol. Smart move on MS's part with that one.

Even the cheapest Sony Blu-Ray player has MKV support. I don't see why Sony would ban MKV support from the PS4 and allow it on other products.

I wonder at all the containers and codecs supported in the Xbox1 list. MKV is a proposed open source standard container for HTML5 <video> but some of the others are just overkill. Also the requirements for DLNA CVP2 are much fewer.

Is the above an effort to make the XB1 the ultimate home console that supports every codec and container that could possibly be coming across the Internet or used by DLNA. Not in the list is VP9 or HEVC; coming in a later update? Is this one of the features that differentiates the XB1 and possibly the PS4?

For instance 3gp video is used on 3G mobile phones but can also be played on some 2G and 4G. So XB1 will transcode to or play from Phones. This is in addition to DLNA CVP2 codecs required for Phones and Tablets.

So does this announcement fall in line with your thoughts on why we hadn't heard of anything up until this point(DLNA CVP2)?

So does this announcement fall in line with your thoughts on why we hadn't heard of anything up until this point(DLNA CVP2)?
Not being done yes, no announcement I don't know. Certification starts October.

Remember the 191 Sony job postings June 2014 with 50 for SNEI and most involved with PS Now and coming network services. If Sony's internal road map requires hiring in June then when will the services being written by these hired in June be done; Late 2014 or early 2015? When does "IWORKFORSONY" on REDDIT say DLNA is coming, "late 2014 or early 2015". When does Microsoft say DLNA is coming; after MP3 and external USB drive support and soon.

Remember DLNA CVP2 at this time requires a Whole Home DVR/DLNA server to use it for the other platforms in the home (by 2017 and the transition to all IPTV it's assumed that everyone on cable TV will have a DLNA CVP2 STB and the Home DVR/DLNA server as well as Cable TV provided STB will disappear) .

How many of those DVR DLNA servers will there be in the first year? I suspect that a cheap DLNA Tuner is coming from several manufacturers. HD Homerun prime is $119 but it requires a Cable card. There is legislation to eliminate the FCC requirement for cable cards which the Cable industry and CE industry now want eliminated. If this passes then very cheap and easy to configure Cable TV DLNA/Tuners will be coming and this will accelerate DLNA CVP2 and ATSC 2.0 acceptance.

The possible low rate of adoption for DLNA CVP2 is why the XB1 has HDMI pass-through and in Europe with the majority on OTA not cable why a USB tuner is being offered for the XB1. It's also mentioned that the TV signal coming in the XB1 USB port can be streamed through the XB1 to phones with the Microsoft second screen app. So allot of the functionality coming with DLNA CVP2 is being offered now with proprietary solutions.

In 2010 the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint mentioned the HD Homerun being used for the Xbox 361 and next generation game console.

For DLNA CVP2: The FCC after multiple stumbles and disagreements between the Cable industry and CE manufacturers (from 2007 to 2010) in 2010 mandated a whole home DVR by June 2014, it must stream in a record-able format, it must work the same across all cable TV in the US and must use open source software where possible. This was also in the 2006 Hotchips video on who owns the livingroom agreeing Game Consoles would be ideal as IPTV streaming STBs years before either would support a IPTV streaming service. In 2010 Sony released the Slim and Firmware 3.0 which had a Javascript engine and Netflix started streaming using their own javascript engine and HTML for the UI.

1) Everyone had to agree on a common DRM, this includes Cable companies and STB manufacturers.
2) Everyone had to agree on common open source software (APIs)
3) Codecs had to be agreed upon and Codec license holders also agreed to not charge for non commercial use and likely the Cable TV industry - STB manufacturers and MPEG-LA agreed upon something......
4) Everyone who makes a DLNA CVP2 certified TV or STB likely had to agree to not charge Cable TV for using their embedded DRM hardware and middle ware. In return they got something.....

We are missing the discussions that went on between Microsoft-Sony and Cable TV providers from 2006 till Playready was chosen in 2011 and Sony announced they were moving from Marlin which they co-developed and was free to them to Playready (License rules for WMDRM10 and Playready changed reducing the cost). Microsoft and Sony combined had the majority of STBs that would work with Cable TV and they likely had a hand in determining key points in this agreement between STB manufacturers and the Cable industry.

It is not by accident that Comcast's RDK and Cable Labs are using Gnome Mobile Software and Rygel as the DLNA Server or that in 2007 Sony sent a PS3 to Collabora when they integrated Gstreamer with Cairo bindings into Gnome's GTK webkit to support proposals for HTML5 <video> and that Sony uses Gnome's eGlib and GTKwebkit APIs in the PS4 and Vita with the PS3 also using GTKwebkit APIs for the browser. Intel did research (2006) to determine the hardware support needed with gstreamer and Firefox uses Gstreamer with Cairo bindings. Sony used Gstreamer in TVs and blu-ray players but doesn't use Gstreamer on game consoles because the License requires disclosing the changes.

We are still missing why Comcast will not authorize Roku and the PS3 for HBO GO. Some early Roku boxes can't support playready and the PS3 was hacked....it can be this or a financial disagreement that was not outlined when Cable and STB owners sat down to create DLNA CVP2.

DLNA CVP2 is not possible without agreement between all parties on a common DRM and Common software standards. STB manufacturers CONTROL the embedded hardware and software used for DRM and TEE level financial transactions. It can not be used without their allowing it. They get something for allowing it.

Edit: AMD started adding ARM and hardware codecs in 2008? to their products.

-PXG-

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but even before this announcement, media playback via DLNA has "worked". I used BubbleUPnP with my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 from my PC to my Xbox One.

Videos play through Xbox Video. Subtitles don't work though, or rather, I didn't bother messing with them. It's pretty barebones and quite ghetto, but it's your best option at the moment until the Media Player is rolled out.

Top Bottom