• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

used ps3 won't let me make new network account

Looks like whoever had it last maxed out the associated PSN accounts you can have to one system. How do I get rid of those associations?

I set up a user account for the PS3 and I'm the only user but I can't create a PSN ID because "the maximun number of Sony Entertainment Network accounts that can be associated with this system has been reached"

jimwhat

Call them. I had to take my account off an old PS3 and all I did was call them and give them the serial number.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I set up a user account for the PS3 and I'm the only user but I can't create a PSN ID because "the maximun number of Sony Entertainment Network accounts that can be associated with this system has been reached"

Yeah, try making an account from the link above then
I forgot what the limit is, i think 100-200 or something...

Call them. I had to take my account off an old PS3 and all I did was call them and give them the serial number.

That would be to take your account off another PS3. This guy's issue sounds completely unrelated, like he just needs to delete some of the user accounts on it or format it. Or he's trying to sign into PSN on a console account that already had an account associated with it.

I had no idea there was a limit like that.

Where did you get this PS3 from? It certainly seems like it went around the block a few times.

Huh, odd. Did the last guy remember to deactivate his account before he sold it to you?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Actually, limit is 64

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/335

The maximum number of Sony Entertainment Network accounts that can be created on a single PS3 system is 64.

Things to note:

64 accounts is a lifetime maximum number associated with the system.
Any attempt to create accounts beyond 64 will result in an error message.
Terminating, deactivating, banning, or suspending accounts will not result in the ability to create more accounts beyond 64.
Deleting local accounts on the PS3 will also not allow for more account creation beyond 64.
If you have reached 64 accounts on a single PlayStation 3 system, you must create new accounts on a different PS3 system in order to create additional (new) Sony Entertainment Network accounts.

It's weird that this is a restriction

coldfoot

Banned
Limit is 64 accounts, and you have to call Sony, tell them you got your console used, give them your console S/N and ask to deactivate all accounts associated with it.

Rapstah

I imagine this scenario where the previous owner was gamesharing the shit out of his PS3, got this error too, and got scared and sold it to Gamestop.

Yeah, try making an account from the link above then
I forgot what the limit is, i think 100-200 or something...

This worked. Thanks Wario. Question though, what the hell is gamesharing. Are there people out there who are gonna be able to access games I buy on this sytem.

Mindlog

I would just take that console back to Gamestop and ask for another one. Let Gamestop sort it out and save yourself some headache if you want to create another account (or let someone else use your console) down the line.

Then again online creation is faster.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This worked. Thanks Wario. Question though, what the hell is gamesharing. Are there people out there who are gonna be able to access games I buy on this sytem.

No, don't worry about it

It's basically people making accounts to buy a game, then sharing the account with their friends to split the cost

AlexBasch

I only do gameshare with a friend, we share a PSN+ account from which we buy loads of DLC and games, but I can understand why Sony restricted the sharing of five accounts to two. Many people might not like it, but it's understandable.

It's gonna be an issue if we happen to get a Vita though. :p

Top Bottom