• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

User on Some Languag Near Spanish Forum leaked NX specs and prototype picture in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
His portuguese is also incredibly obtuse, so bear with me:
*In reply to someone calling his leak a troll*
It's not, dude.But I don't want to compromise anyone, I saw the prototype's pictures, some people also saw them but no one can leak anything.
Microsoft already knows how it's going to work, and is preparing for its future consoles to have the possibility of increasing their capacities using modules.

Another post
It's just you guys still didn't get the modular concept, understand that it's possible to increase the console's capacity upgrading the expansion modules. Basically if someone wants the "basic console" it'll play stuff at 720p and 30 fps in its portable form. If they want to play on the TV they can use the expansion module that works as an external egpu with the graphical power of a PS4. If they want something better, Nintendo may release a egpu model for 4K TVs.

Remember that current consoles are going to have different versions and the industry is going down the PC and smartphones' road, where games run at different graphical configurations.

Did you get it now, the modular concept?
The egpus are like cartridges that fit in the portable console.

You can even see that Nvidia stopped production of their Tegra chip for cellphones and there won't be a new Shield. Nvidia already released their new Pascal GPUs and didn't release their Tegra version of Pascal for their new Shield, because there won't be a new Shield as Nvidia got a deal with Nintendo.

The other point is that Nvidia has the technology already working for the concept of a egpu and that facilitated the production of the NX so it can play in portable form using inferior graphics and when you connect it to the Dock *that works like a cartridge and increases its graphical capacity*

I'll say it again that Microsoft is going to release that technology for Scorpion, that can have its graphical power increased.

I don't know if Sony will do it too with the PS4 Neo, nothing leaked from Sony. Just that it'd be more potent, but Sony changed things on Neo, I don't know if they will also use modules to increase its graphical capacity.

**I also don't know if Nintendo will really want to have different expansion modules, it hasn't been confirmed yet if it'll release day one or they'll release it when any game need it**

The idea is to use different accessories to certain games and increase the possibilities of VR, and try and make the console like a PC, as it can increase it's graphical capacities while reusing old parts.
*That read really weird for me*
**That REALLY read like a complete cop-out. Like "Oh Nintendo said nothing about it on the reveal, but I can still be right guys!".

Then the "leaker's" last post. I tried really hard, but it's like the dude was on the strongest trip while writing it so I'll try and summarize what he said:
Got some new info about NX.
Nintendo games released on Smartphone will have some kind of connectivity with games on the NX. As an example, I can catch Pokemon on my phone, or get get someone else's player info if getting close to them while on the mall, then when I get home I can use those Pokemon I got and battle those I met while walking with my phone.
And a bunch of "woahs" and "incredibles" and shit. That last one honestly is basically Streetpass, but using your cellphone.

Also, re-reading his original post, the shit he said about the screen being able to "uncouple" from the console itself, and the console being 300 bucks and the SEPARATE screen being 100-200 dollars depending on its size is just completely stupid, and the Eurogamer thing didn't say anything about it.
I don't even know why I wasted my time translating that dude's post.

Vena

So that's why Sony hasn't announced the Neo... too busy copying Nintendo again!

I'm not being serious....

Or am I?

Another post

**That REALLY read like a complete cop-out. Like "Oh Nintendo said nothing about it on the reveal, but I can still be right guys!".

Then the "leaker's" last post. I tried really hard, but it's like the dude was on the strongest trip while writing it so I'll try and summarize what he said:
And a bunch of "woahs" and "incredibles" and shit. That last one honestly is basically Streetpass, but using your cellphone.
"cartridge" is a strange term to use, but the modularity and eGPU is something I do think will become a factor going forward. We've seen Sony and MS bite the bullet on shorter upgrade cycles -- imagine if they had the capability to release the 4K or Scorpio as an addon rather than a new console, or... both as an addon, and as a new SKU?

But IMO it's easy to speculate in this direction based on what we all now know.

Orayn

Someone's gonna have to explain these "eGPU" things, how feasible and cost effective they are.

An external GPU is plenty feasible if the system is designed to support it and there's a relatively high bandwidth interface available to hook it up. It's been possible to do this over Thunderbolt on laptops for a few years now, though consumer models are just starting to trickle out.

The cost effectiveness depends on the particulars of the GPU they use, whether or not it needs an additional power supply, etc.

Proelite

Another post

Also, re-reading his original post, the shit he said about the screen being able to "uncouple" from the console itself, and the console being 300 bucks and the SEPARATE screen being 100-200 dollars depending on its size is just completely stupid, and the Eurogamer thing didn't say anything about it.
I don't even know why I wasted my time translating that dude's post.

Hmm a lot of the new stuff sounds REALLY far fetched. There is no way power increasing modules can be as efficient as system completely designed from scratch to work together.

CO_Andy

fig11_ab8jrmr.png
This patent seems relevant. So i guess there'll be a way to play console-style games with just the touchscreen.

Reteading it again, I see the prices better.

But even if they sell just a small screen for $100, thats still $100 for a device more powerful than WiiU, and also a portable.

The leak seems reliable enough but thats really, really hard to believe.

guek

Banned
Hmm a lot of the new stuff sounds REALLY far fetched. There is no way power increasing modules can be as efficient as system completely designed from scratch to work together.

It's still a mystery how all this will work but the SCD patents Nintendo filed are enough to show that rumors that some kind of modular design may not be as far fetched as we think. Patents don't guarantee anything but as always, where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Dmax3901

Dude the build-up to this console release is unlike anything I can remember in recent years. So much mystery, the stakes are so high! AH!

Krowley

Reteading it again, I see the prices better.

But even if they sell just a small screen for $100, thats still $100 for a device more powerful than WiiU, and also a portable.

The leak seems reliable enough but thats really, really hard to believe.

Lol, I used to love this stuff. Been ages since I've been on GAF, on the gaming side, following a leak from a random forum on the Internet...

Anyway, this feels like second or third-hand information. Like maybe he knows a dev who is working on it, and the dev explained stuff to him, and he started extrapolating or possibly misinterpreted some stuff.

I can't imagine that all this stuff is right, it's just too crazy. But some of the stuff is too close to just dismiss it.

That tiered pricing would be an excellent work around on not selling this at a loss. That would definitely be a marketing challenge, which after the Wii U they better nail that aspect this time around.

Instro

Don't know what to think. His original post popped up a not long after the original Nvidia rumor popped up in May. He may have just piggybacked on that rumor and gotten lucky.

People who want a graphically strong console buy the expensive version, people who want a basic portable gaming machine buy the cheap option. The best of both worlds. Would be a smart idea if real.

Good lord,i don't think I've seen more moch ups,fakes,guesses,leaps of faith and pure nonsense to any other console release.... Nintendo I congratulate you,we have not even hit peak bullplop yet.

NX couldn't be revealed any sooner to stop all the err fun

CO_Andy

Nintendo would have to sell the system for <$200 if it wants to reach the mass market, and Nvidia is more than willing to take a loss on the system's most expensive component.

Selling the screen by itself makes perfect sense since that's what casuals only care to play.

Pure. Genius.

Speely

Banned
Dude the build-up to this console release is unlike anything I can remember in recent years. So much mystery, the stakes are so high! AH!

I love it. This info in particular is interesting since of course on it's own it seems fake, but in retrospect after hearing what Eurogamer and others have stated, it's eerily worth considering. The giddy lil kid in me wants to believe that Nintendo is going all out and committing to a modular hybrid future, complete with SCDs/eGPUs, customizable controls including motion controls, and even AR possibilities with enough modular upgradablity to not rule out VR down the road if it ever saturates the market as a technology enough. It sounds mad because we have never seen it done, but there is nothing technologically holding it back from being possible, and the Tegra Next timing is too good in relation to nVidia needing to land a console deal to disregard it outright. N1 sounds real enough to be real (Jesus I sound raving even to myself...)

I always get too hype about Nintendo hardware reveals. For some reason Ninty is still magical to me.

"I got really happy with this rumour and hope that you like it. And source(s)? You will see in 2 months when it is authorized for the info to be released. Unfortunately I can't confirm the rumour due to it being obtained in a non legal way"

That's the most interesting thing about this... he got the timing right.

Nintendo would have to sell the system for <$200 if it wants to reach the mass market, and Nvidia is more than willing to take a loss on the system's most expensive component.

Selling the screen by itself makes perfect sense since that's what casuals only care to play.

Pure. Genius.
What's wrong with $250?

Griss

The guy either got some real info or is a real-life psychic.

No one could get that many guesses correct, especially when the consensus of the entire internet was that it COULDN'T be a hybrid. And even more especially not the 'all of this exact info will drop in two months' and lo and behold, two months later all the most trustworthy gaming sites are running it.

Can we get a summarized version of what he's talking about? Because some parts are fairly unclear.

Still, a system with modular components? Very intriguing, if true.

Griss

The idea that this thing is going to have modular space for some for of processing device taking the form of a cartridge is so bizarre. It's not how any of us would have imagined the SCD (supplementary computing device) to work, but that's almost what makes me believe it.

It's the return of the expansion pak. It also means that those of us willing to spend more will get a more capable console. Though he makes it sound like this isn't going to be something there at launch, but rather something there to future-proof the handheld.

So, noteworthy(?) that the 2ch thread claimed:

Which I think would put us back into "Nintendo cheaping out" territory if true.

But that was from June 2015, right? Before the NX delay. A delay which may specifically have been - as previously speculated here and elsewhere - to get a more modern custom Tegra solution from nVidia.

Speely

Banned
Question, could Tegra N1 be a codename for the Tegra Next? Or is that completely different?

It would more likely be the name/codename for a custom chip Nintendo is basing on the Tegra Next Pascal architecture SoC, which nVidia plans to use for other things like automobiles. So kinda the same, potentially, but in true Nintendo form, customized.

Question, could Tegra N1 be a codename for the Tegra Next? Or is that completely different?
My guess is that the Tegra N1 is the codename giving to the chip (a derivative/customized version of Tegra X1) , and it has no direct corelation to the Tegra Next.

Well, I'm intrigue about this rumor. It is difficult for me to simply downplay it as very lucky guesswork.

Spinluck

A $250 touchscreen that serves primarily to play videogames would be a tough sell to parents. Even $200 may be too much considering $150 is the typical price for Nintendo handhelds.

Will be interesting to see how they market this to the masses.

Handheld/Console hybrid is an interesting concept, which should be a fun sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom