• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

User on Some Languag Near Spanish Forum leaked NX specs and prototype picture in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

The prices mentioned don't really align with reports of it being "less than expected". Those prices are more in line with Nintendo's failed console than its handheld line; yet I'm not sure if Nintendo learnt its lesson.

The modular thing sounds great for geeks but for the average consumer as well as developers it sounds like a big mess. "Sorry, please buy these two components to play this game."

VanWinkle

It all seems a little farfetched, but I mean, who knows. It's totally possible, even if it's "out there." Nintendo is known to be out there. I WILL say, however, that the idea of having a certain amount of power as a handheld and plugging into a dock that acts as an eGPU would make a LOT of sense! I never even thought about it, but it would be a really good idea.

I could only see two ways to sell the thing in this case, though. As a handheld (maybe just a screen, maybe a screen and the physical controls), and a console (the handheld with the power-enhancing dock) that can also be used as a handheld of course.

Don't know. It's certainly intriguing if nothing else.

So this feels pretty fake to me. Broad strokes with the original posting and now doubling down with, "I know even more!" I don't buy it. Any reason to believe it's more? Any additional corroboration?

antonz

So this feels pretty fake to me. Broad strokes with the original posting and now doubling down with, "I know even more!" I don't buy it. Any reason to believe it's more? Any additional corroboration?

He mentions things 2 months ago that are now being reported by major gaming sites. His comments on Mobile/NX interaction seems to jive with Wall Street Journals report too. He said we would hear stuff from people in July and it happened.

Now this could point to an elaborate hoax of course. The alternative is he does in fact know someone with solid details

Instro

Inclined to agree. There's no way he would be the only person talking about modular/expandable power at this stage when EG should have the same info...but he also seems to have a lot of info in that initial post.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
People believe Nintendo would send out bare boards as development hardware?

Bitanator

Then the "leaker's" last post. I tried really hard, but it's like the dude was on the strongest trip while writing it so I'll try and summarize what he said:
And a bunch of "woahs" and "incredibles" and shit. That last one honestly is basically Streetpass, but using your cellphone.

Is this what WSJ or whoever has a thread about how the NX can and will connect in some way with cellphones and play mobile game and whatnot?

CWTRpgE.jpg

KingJ2002

although I do believe the NX will launch with a more powerful chip than the Tegra X1... the rest of this reeks of BS

kami_sama

One of the boards is a RPI, but the other one connected to the lcd, is it the NX proper?
Also, why is it displaying the RPI?

majik13

So Im still intrigued on how logistically this all works. Assuming this is indeed legit.

So its someone who is some how connected with websites like WSJ and EG, or is (one of) their potential sources?
Why was this big leak planned so far ahead of time for July (in 2 months) anyways? Who plans leaks? The leak needed to be authorized? Maybe the '2 months' info release isnt even the EG leak...

Also seemingly connected with MS and Sony somehow. Very intresting if MS is already actively copying this. But this is sort of a big red flag. Who is that well connected to know that amount of info of the big 3? As well as details like pricepoints.

Perhaps this poster is an actual game journalist? Maybe ita the orginal author or someone from EG?

In the era of digital downloads, there's no way they could have game cartridges contain new chips a la SuoerFX. There'd have to be a separate dedicated expansion slot a la... the expansion slot in the N64

Come on now, a Pi is at least two game cubes.

Lol. Actually haven't tried emulating cube on a Pi but yeah the new Rev3's are quite capable. For a $35 computer.

One of the boards is a RPI, but the other one connected to the lcd, is it the NX proper?
Also, why is it displaying the RPI?

No it's a display and IO board that interfaces the touchscreen with the RPi. The image is a product photo from an electronics reseller. It's an ad for a screen to plug in to an RPI basically. The quote from the article was along the lines if "I don't have a picture of NX but it looks something like this".

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
First of all, I'd like to get a better idea about the connection between that N1 post from June 2015 on 2ch and the posts from Uol jogos. Unfortunately, I can only go through Google Translate for 2ch, but there are references to 1080p dual screens (wut) and other things that make me doubt about the reliability of those posts from 2ch. We really need someone to actually translate the posts from the guy who originally said N1 there, because I firmly believe the connection between those 2ch posts and the brazilian ones are mere coincidence.

The link again, btw, if anyone is willing to do it (pleeeeeaaase :p)

http://wktk.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1435021072/

Now, the posts from the guy on Uol jugos...the coincidences seem too much to be "just" an elaborated fake, but the price seems to not fit with what we've heard from MCV, not even considering his enhusiastic tone and his later posts, which are...stranger.
Seriously, I'm always skeptical of people who start declaring with so much certainty the exact price of a device, especially with such precision, several months before the projected launch. The only thing I can think of to make it more "realistic" is that those were projections of how much the console (and its pieces) could've been priced in May, while now things are a bit different, and prices went slightly down (249.99 for the whole package would make more sense given Kimshima's statements and MCV latest articles).

Reallink

Not really sure what they would gain by splitting the player base into those with and without controllers...unless it's actually a phone or phone substitute. They'd just be limiting their own software sales, effectively putting most of their games behind a $100+ barrier of entry ($50+ game + $50+ controllers). Most of the blue ocean casuals they're openly courting (presumably with touch only games based on this rumor) would never pay that to (from their perspective) just play one game. They'd be much better off just bundling them at BoM cost in a single SKU, some clamp on buttons and sticks couldn't be a substantial add.

Durante

What the hell's a Tegra N1?
Well, it's not an X1 and "X2".

Which regardless of the veracity of this rumour makes a lot of sense, and is what many of us have been trying to explain for a while now: there is absolutely no need for Nintendo to go with an off-the-shelf, existing Tegra configuration for a product expected to sell millions.

That seems like the least controversial part of all this.

zeromcd73

First of all, I'd like to get a better idea about the connection between that N1 post from June 2015 on 2ch and the posts from Uol jogos. Unfortunately, I can only go through Google Translate for 2ch, but there are references to 1080p dual screens (wut) and other things that make me doubt about the reliability of those posts from 2ch.
None of those posts are by the OP of that particular thread. He only did one post, which is the first one.

Their early dev kits have all looked very rudimentary like that. You should've seen 3DS dev kits - any dev in here who knows what i'm talking about will corroborate.

Jackano

They may have been up on something regarding the form factor and Nvidia, however regarding the price part I think this fall into things they have made up/speculated.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not really sure what they would gain by splitting the player base into those with and without controllers...unless it's actually a phone or phone substitute. They'd just be limiting their own software sales, effectively putting most of their games behind a $100+ barrier of entry ($50+ game + $50+ controllers). Most of the blue ocean casuals they're openly courting (presumably with touch only games based on this rumor) would never pay that to (from their perspective) just play one game. They'd be much better off just bundling them at BoM cost in a single SKU, some clamp on buttons and sticks couldn't be a substantial add.

Mmh, yeah, there's also this part which is a bit unclear. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me to see different controllers available to buy separately, and they would represent the possibility for consumers to customise the device. Also, hypotetically, it would be possible to have different docks sold separately that could help the device with more power (like he mentioned), but I suppose those would be much better if released around the time the revision of the handheld (a New 3DS-like one I mean, with more power) is out, in order to give to the set of customers who're not ready to buy a new device yet a way to prolong its life. Or, anyway, not right alongside the launch of the normal pack. And, honestly, while I feel the dock station could allow the portable device to go at higher clocks through vents even if not mentioned by EG, I'm really skeptical EG didn't hear anything about the dock providing power on its own as well, which is opposite to what this guy is saying.

Also, I'm still baffled by people who are so doubtful about EG's report, sustained by different sources, and confirmed by other outlets as well :p
Or confused by the "brain within the controller" part: it seems obvious to me, since the author talked about "detachable controllers" at first, he was meaning the screen part of the whole thing. It could've been clearer for sure, though...unless the dock station is ALSO a terminal for signal from the portable device, and it can act as a controller as well, and this is where the slip up comes from.

spekkeh

Banned
I like how the thread title is some languag near English.

Tegra N1... the Nintendo One! This will be the console's name. Colloquially known as the None.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Skeptical of this but not of eurogamer? Even though this beat eurogamer by two months with the info.
Hmmmm

Eurogamer is a lot more credible than some guy on the net who claims to have info. Especially when they already have established track record with NEO and other things

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Skeptical of this but not of eurogamer? Even though this beat eurogamer by two months with the info.
Hmmmm

Anybody with a common sense would be more sceptical of some user on a forum that has no verified credential by comparison to a well known and proven media outlet.

At least we found out the truth about Eurogamers' potential sources.

Yeah, Eurogamer sources a full fledged article from some Brazilian forum rumour that nobody knew until now. /s

His portuguese is also incredibly obtuse, so bear with me:
*In reply to someone calling his leak a troll*

Another post

*That read really weird for me*
**That REALLY read like a complete cop-out. Like "Oh Nintendo said nothing about it on the reveal, but I can still be right guys!".

Then the "leaker's" last post. I tried really hard, but it's like the dude was on the strongest trip while writing it so I'll try and summarize what he said:
And a bunch of "woahs" and "incredibles" and shit. That last one honestly is basically Streetpass, but using your cellphone.

Also, re-reading his original post, the shit he said about the screen being able to "uncouple" from the console itself, and the console being 300 bucks and the SEPARATE screen being 100-200 dollars depending on its size is just completely stupid, and the Eurogamer thing didn't say anything about it.
I don't even know why I wasted my time translating that dude's post.

The best thing about this translation is that it is saying what I have been saying for fuckin months..

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201652714
"And the NX will be a device that supports all of these devices. Dont yall see it?

It will be a QOL, Handheld, Console, VR, AR machine. What yall think the supplemental powering device was for? Not for a console but to support all of these things combined. They struck lightning again yall! An all in one machine that is capable of doing everything aka the Nintendo HOME"

It also lines up, in my opinion with the information discussed in this same rosti patent thread.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=201652714#post201652714

Also look at the "U" controller..

Yall will keep ignoring and laughing until its revealed but thats ok.

ANYWAYS... Anyone know what happen to that XSCAPE guy or whatever who use to post in NX threads? He vanished but apparently he knew some shit and im just curious where he went.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
seems legit*

*I'm sarcastic

Cuburt

Yeah, Eurogamer sources a full fledged article from some Brazilian forum rumour that nobody knew until now. /s

No, their sources are obviously from the Japanese forum group that releases Dragon Ball Super spoilers that this guy got his info from.

Luckily we had Eurogamer to write up an article and MS paint a "mock up" to legitimize this whole ordeal.

I mean Digitial Foundry even did a break down about these forum post rumors.

Exciting times we live in.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No, their sources are obviously from the Japanese forum group that releases Dragon Ball Super spoilers that this guy got his info from.

Luckily we had Eurogamer to write up an article and MS paint a "mock up" to legitimize this whole ordeal.

I mean Digitial Foundry even did a break down about these forum post rumors.

Exciting times we live in.

This is sarcasm, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom