• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ushio and Tora TV |OT| ONE HUNDRED TIMES THE TESTOSTERONE OF DRAGON BALL SUPER

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah some stories are likely to be skipped which is fine IMO since they don't impact the major first plot much.

One thing I'm curious about though-

Was Hakumen no Mono not covered in the OVA or did he feel the OVA didn't live to his expectations?

Taking the 2nd ep. for example, I feel this one can be cut since it was more
exposition for Ushio and the girls' relationship, and unless this Youkai gets mentioned later on or has a role or something I'm curious why they decided to animate it instead of going straight to the painting story

The stone armor demon plays into the finale. They can't cut too much in the next two or three stories as it all plays into the end.

Was Hakumen no Mono not covered in the OVA or did he feel the OVA didn't live to his expectations?

The OVA was made during the middle of the manga's run (OVA: 1992-3, manga: 1990-1996). I haven't read the manga, but I suspect it hadn't reached the point of Hakumen no Mono when the OVA was being made.

Lain

Episode 2

Just as good as the first, good pacing, good action, good direction. I'm really pleased with this adaption. If they manage to keep this up, some of the bigger plot events and fights that will come up later on are gonna be such a treat.

Philippo

Glad to see a proper OT for this, Ushio and Tora is so godd it shits on a lot of its shonen competition.

Plus, it gets really violent after a while iirc

Do we know if they plan to cover all the story in 39 episodes?

Also, Opening is hype as fuck.

And last, couple of YT anime that made me lol:
OP bz 1 settimana fa
MODERN ANIME PREPARE YOUR ANUS

Double Stomp Productions 1 settimana fa
These weebs aren't gonna know what hit em this summer!

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Wait... The director for Ippo is working on this, like S1 Ippo? Wow, I thought he fell off the face of the earth. Haven't watched the OVAs but it certainly captures the artwork of the manga A LOT better than this new tv adaptation but it has yet to really insult the feeling of the source material. First two episodes were enjoyable but that whack 90s Shounen moment in the second episode when Tora suddenly wants to help Ushio without any real development prior to the fighting. Entertaining enough, I doubt I'll even read up on the manga though, I will put myself in the position of the HxH fans I used to hate on with this.

Tuck

Episode was good. Love Ushio and Tora's relationship, very funny.

Wish the action scenes had a little more oomph, and a little more actual animation, but I'm not really surprised on that front. Glad this show is gonna be sticking around for a while (though not as it actually needs to tell the full story). Hope it keeps going strong.

Philippo

Mmmh episode was good, but yiu can feel they're already compressing the source material to fit 1 ep.

I mean, this didn't even gave you the time to properly understand Hanyuu's obsession with the daughter.

Tizoc

Mmmh episode was good, but yiu can feel they're already compressing the source material to fit 1 ep.

I mean, this didn't even gave you the time to properly understand Hanyuu's obsession with the daughter.

It may have needed some more depth but you get the idea from what was shown.

Overall this episode's pace was good and I was glad they coevered it all in one ep. :p

Ushio and Tora 04

uISiLWD.jpg
PbUvWwX.jpg

Tora is so great. If they actually turn him into a good guy by feeding him burgers and the only reason he was so evil was because he was hungry I will laugh so hard

Tizoc

They skipped stuff from the manga again, but overall a good adaptation as the focus was mostly on Tora.

EDIT: Aw yeah next ep.
he's a comin!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ushio and Tora 04

Tora is so great. If they actually turn him into a good guy by feeding him burgers and the only reason he was so evil was because he was hungry I will laugh so hard

Tora was always my favorite character, he's just so great.

They skipped stuff from the manga again, but overall a good adaptation as the focus was mostly on Tora.

Well that's to be expected considering the number of episodes they have. They've still done well to cover all the major points and get the themes of the episode across.

massoluk

Banned
The pacing is really really good as expected, benefited from being adaptation of completed decade old manga. Hope they do Hokkaido trek and Ancient China arcs right.

Mista

Banned
I love this anime and its just 4 episodes. Ushio and Tora are great xD

EP4:
Tora was obviously the star of this episode. This anime brings good laugh with great classic action

Just caught up, and I'm enjoying this series a lot so far. I'm glad to see that the manga-ka is involved, choosing which stories to adapt. I'm not a fan of the decision to update the setting to modern times and thus bring cellphones into the mix, especially since that just means they have to come up with dumb excuses for why the characters can't get in contact using them, though.

Wow, that single first episode I watched was way better than all of DB Super, indeed.

I've been looking to enjoy anime again after like a decade long hiatus, but feel they just all suck these days.. I'm going follow this one though. Fun stuff.

Frog-fu

Banned
Episode 5

That was some good stuff. I hadn't notice the difference in the number scar lines. I'm assuming we'll meet the best that killed Hyō's family before long.

Nakamura maintains position of best girl. All is well.

Alric

This show is fantastic, now I want so many 90's anime brought back with todays animation. I'm looking at you Slayers.

OK. I'm on episode 4 and I'm in love. Thanks for sharing OP.

No problem.

This show is fantastic, now I want so many 90's anime brought back with todays animation. I'm looking at you Slayers.

It's been happening a lot recently, actually. We have -

Ushio and Tora
Parasyte
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (80s but whatever)
Sailor Moon Crystal, which is terrible but still counts
Dragon Ball Super (also 80s)
Hunter x Hunter 2011

Not counting reboots like Gatchaman Crowds or Yatterman of the Night. Guess there's a market for it, or some crazy dude is funding all this shit. Anyway it's been enjoyable and kind of hit and miss quality and success wise but I'm glad it's happening.

They all look pretty damn good too, Sailor Moon and certain JoJo episodes aside.

Fujita's following work, Karakuri Circus, would also be a great 90s property to animate. I'd say it has higher highs than Ushio to Tora (overall not as good though).

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Episode 4 - That proper typical Shounen nonsense "Oh no, I can't eat this human because of this, that, etc." It's like I'm in 2005 and watching Bleach again.

Episode 5 - This was MUCH better, that exorcist dude going full worldstar and beasting on the both of them.

Tizoc

Episode 4 - That proper typical Shounen nonsense "Oh no, I can't eat this human because of this, that, etc." It's like I'm in 2005 and watching Bleach again.

Episode 5 - This was MUCH better, that exorcist dude going full worldstar and beasting on the both of them.

To be fair this is based on a manga from 1990, so they stuck with it.
Did lead to some hilarious scenes though :p

Yeah Hyou's a badass, I forgot what happens after this encounter exactly but I think they'll move on ahead with the main plot at this point.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It doesn't really destroy the show for me, it's just a little bit stale but tbh I should have expected it. Episode 6 was rather generic but the same time I honestly enjoyed it, it still maintained some of that nostalgic Shounen charm seems you're right though the story is gonna begin for real with this next episode.

Hyped by secret organization of antagonist exorcists, including evil counterparts to Ushio. Does this mean we won't be seeing the school friends for a while?

Wonderful job from Nishimura & Fujise. They stroke a perfect balance between a more serious atmosphere and our weekly quota of hilarious faces.

Damn I love Fujita's tendancy, in his mangas, to start with typical shounen tropes and then morph into an epic with intertwined backstories everywhere.

Hyped by secret organization of antagonist exorcists, including evil counterparts to Ushio.

Ushio to tora going full Kujaku-oh; you can't go more 90s anime than that.

Moaradin

Just caught up. This show is great. Ushio and Tora are both really fun characters. We seem to be getting into the real meat now. Real interested in learning about Ushio's mom, and more about that exorcist dude from episode 5.

New show is great, but missing that critical bit of greatness from the old OVA that was Hyou's VA being my first introduction to The Good News that is Norio Wakamoto---compounded by the fact that I just so happened to then watch LoGH...

Just watched episode 7

As expected the dad was hiding many things form his son.

And the dynamic between ushio and tora is very strong ... loving this anime.

This show is making me wish I hadn't watched the old OVA DVDs before seeing this. So far, I feel like the show is less dark and not as violent as it used to be. But it's still good.

Ushio and Tora 08

Pretty entertaining episode, I am liking seeing Ushio and Tora's teamwork slowly and slowly develop, like how Ushio passively-aggressively told Tora to lift the airplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom