• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ushio and Tora TV |OT| ONE HUNDRED TIMES THE TESTOSTERONE OF DRAGON BALL SUPER

Status
Not open for further replies.
1129210_1200.jpg

HEY.

DO YOU LIKE MANLY 90'S ANIME AKA MANIME? THEN YOU SHOULD PROBABLY BE WATCHING THIS.

Directed by SATOSHI NISHUMARA, the director of HAJIME NO IPPO and TRIGUN, USHIO AND TORA is the story of USHIO AOTSUKI and the youkai trapped under his home he names TORA. Ushio frees Tora from the spear holding him in place, and thus begins their uneasy relationship of fighting ghosts and shit and being INCREDIBLY SHONEN.

INFORMATION

While cleaning out his family's Shinto temple, middle-school student Ushio Aotsuki stumbles upon a hidden cellar which houses a dangerous yokai. The yokai, pinned by a legendary weapon called the Beast Spear for 500 years, attracts many other supernatural creatures to the premises. Ushio is forced to free the creature – whom he names “Tora” – in return for his help in defeating them. Tora, who wishes to eat Ushio but is stalled by the Beast Spear, begins to haunt the boy in the hopes that an opportunity will present itself. However, Ushio's possession of the Spear seems to result in trouble after trouble, and Tora finds himself an unwilling ally to Ushio in his battles against various supernatural foes. Meanwhile, a greater danger lurks in the form of Hakumen no Mono, an incredibly powerful yokai with a thirst for destruction who is about to awaken from an extended slumber.

If you are wondering, yes this is the same Ushio and Tora from the 1992 OVA series adapted from the same manga. This is a 39 episode TV series with a one season break between episode 26 and 27. The series will premiere on July 3 and run for 26 episodes until December. Then, 13 more episodes will air from April to June of 2016.

The original manga ran from 1990-1996 and was published in Weekly Shōnen Sunday for 33 volumes.

Streaming here on Crunchyroll!

Official Twitter!

Official Site! (Japanese)

The OP is pretty sick!

CHARACTERS AND CAST

ch_01.png

Ushio Aotsuki - VA: Hatanaka, Tasuku (Yuma in Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, Hisato in World Trigger)

The son of a temple priest and a lady shaman, destined to wield the Beast Spear and defeat the super yokai Hakumen no Mono. He is very kind-hearted and greatly values all life and friendships. With his ideals, he manages to unite the forces of mankind and yokai against Hakumen through his example of his fighting partnership with Tora. Ushio loves Asako and cares a lot for Mayuko, and will promptly appear to save them from yokai attacks.

ch_02.png

Tora - VA: Koyama, Rikiya (Kogorou in Detective Conan, Takamura in Hajime no Ippo)

An ancient golden yokai who was released when Ushio pulled off the Beast Spear. Being trapped in the basement for 500 years, he has great curiosity over modern lifestyle and gadgets. His favourite food is hamburgers. His name is not actually Tora, it was a name given to him by Ushio because of his tiger-like appearance.

ch_04.png

Mayuko Inoue - VA: Yasuno, Kiyono (Sakura in Aikatsu!, Megumi in Saekano)

Ushio and Asako's best friend and the female lead. She is more sweet and feminine then Asako. Ushio cares greatly for her.

ch_03.png

Asako Nakamura - VA: Komatsu, Mikako (Sei in Gundam Build Fighters, Tsugumi in Nisekoi)

The hot-headed, tomboyish childhood friend of Ushio and Mayuko. She cares for Mayuko a lot and Ushio a lot. Her family owns a ramen restaurant.

ch_05.png

Shigure Aotsuki - VA: Fujiwara, Keiji (Ladd Russo in Baccano!, Hiroshi in Shin-chan)

Shigure is the father of Ushio and the head priest of the shrine they live at. He tells Ushio of the legendary spear lying beneath the house, which Ushio brushes off as a dumb old man's tale.

OTHER CHARACTERS

ch_06.png

Hanyu - VA: Yui Makino (Fumina in Gundam Build Fighters Try, Hikaru in Houkago no Pleiades)

ch_07.png

Hyo - VA: Daisuke Namikawa (Rock in Black Lagoon, Hisoka in Hunter x Hunter)

Sorry for the sparsity on a lot of these, actual info in English is hard to find for this one. This has a lot more side characters then shown here - you can check out more on the Official Site or this ANN page.

STAFF

Studio - MAPPA

Original creator: Kazuhiro Fujita
Director: Satoshi Nishimura, Director of Hajime no Ippo and Trigun
Series Composition: Kazuhiro Fujita and Toshiki Inoue
Music: Eishi Segawa
Character Design: Tomoko Mori
Art Director: Tomoyuki Shimizu
Chief Animation Director: Tomoko Mori

IMPRESSIONS

Ushio and Tora 1

If you're looking for a show charged with manly emotions, yelling, physical violence, and grotesque monsters, this is your show. Everything is turned up to 11 in this new adaptation of a shounen manga series from the 1990s. Satoshi Nishimura (Trigun, Hajime no Ippo) perfectly captures the earnest and sincere tone needed to pull off a story like this. The premise is straight out of the battle shounen playbook - Ushio discovers a secret underground chamber in the shrine in which he lives, and in that chamber resides a demon Ushio names Tora who's been trapped there by a spear for 500 years. By opening this chamber Ushio has caused Tora's anger to be released, attracting youkai to the shrine, thus necessitating Ushio to take the spear and free Tora so they can team up to fight evil. The execution is what sells it, as always. Ushio and Tora have instant chemistry, the balance between their desire to slit each other's throats and the uneasy truce they come to is delightful. In general, there's a good balance struck between humor and seriousness. The production is strong, with detailed character art, expressive animation, and engaging direction. There was one moment where the exposition started to get a little clunky, but other than that things kept moving at a good clip.

So the premise has been established in a strong manner, and I'm excited to see how things will develop from here. Especially since the original manga author is supervising the series and making sure that things will progress into what he feels are the most important and most climatic arcs of his story, I think this has the potential to be a special series if the quality keeps up.

Ushio to Tora - 1
Pretty good! Got several laughs out of me. Main character looks funny, but he's spunky. A few too many still frame shots. And those translucent bugs looked bad. Hope the story doesn't focus too much on the highschool though =/. Definitely will keep watching.

Ushio no Tora 1

I'm definitely getting my fill of battle Shonen this Summer Season, so good. I'm loving the 90s throw back this series is giving me especially since the manga was written in the 90s. I love how Mappa still kept the aesthetic of the manga while giving it a bit of a modern touch. The comedic parts are really good and I loved Ushio's transformation. Hopefully Mappa does a great job on this anime.

I thought Summer would be mediocre but it's actually turning out better than I thought.

Ushio & Tora 1

Pretty excellent so far, I like how even without knowing it's a 90's manga you can just look at it and know it's an older series based upon the art style. Liked the comedy and the action no wonder people were saying this was a future Toonami show once Sentai announced they had licensed it.

Ushio and Tora - 1

Okay, this was pretty awesome. The OP alone pretty much got me hooked. A boy and tiger monster fighting demons together? Yes please!

Ushio and Tora 1

This starts on the right foot, the mood feels right as well. Can't really complain about it. As I finished watching the episode, I got the urge to take out the manga and re-read it.

God is this season pretty good, I'm definitely getting my battle Shonen fill. I'm loving the old school feel of this series.

Mappa is definitely doing a good job, hopefully it will turn into a great adaptation.

As someone with a doctorate in Shounen, I can guarantee this is top tier.

At least the manga is. Haven't watched the first ep yet, but I haven't heard anything bad.

I can't stop watching that OP. I mean, that scene where they land and there's an explosion and then they're grinning at each other! And that song! SO GOOOOD.

Pretty good anime and I wasn't expecting anything stellar. Killer OP plus some interesting characters, definitely a shonen to keep watching.

Tuck

Loved the manga.

Is the anime going to cover the entire story?

It'd better...

I think its a 2 hour show, but I'm not sure how long the manga is.

EDIT: Wikipedia says 39 episodes? Seems like an odd number, dunno if its right.

Well the first episode was promising, but that's 1/39. If it gets sloppy I'm sure the manga fans will tell us.

This was on my to-read list for awhile but bumped it back when the news of the adaptation got announced.

Tizoc

You know what other manly manga needs to be adapted, seeing as mangas that ended decades ago can still get animes for them?
Kongou effin' Banchou, I'm still gutted this hasn't gotten an anime yet.

Back on topic though will give this show a watch when I wake up, will recommend it to my friend too.

Tizoc

sO i'm reading the first chapter of the manga and it seems more adventure-ish than manly, not that that's a bad thing. Maybe the badassary pops up in due time, but man the art is really good.

I still have the old OVA series on DVD. Much better and more violent than I was expecting. The dubbing was absolutely horrid though.

Fairly certain. The mangaka is overseeing the project as well. There will probably be stuff cut, so he is deciding what stays and goes, I believe.

Correct. From an interview with the manga author:

Fujita sensei is credited as "series structure", but what part exactly are you playing?

Fujita: I let them let me decide which parts of the the story to adapt and not adapt. I did that specifically because I wanted to see Ushio and Tora defeat Hakumen no Mono. I proposed it from the start. Cut the unnecessary episodes, and make it a story that goes directly to "Hakumen". Instead it was the anime staff who said "wait a minute"! (laughs)

They didn't want to cut it? (laughs)

Fujita: Exactly. "It's a waste to cut out stories", "I want to do it like the source material" etc. But I felt that, having such a great opportunity, with such great staff, under these circunstances, if I didn't get to Hakumen I would never get another chance for the rest of my life.
Therefore, this time, I made a structure like the Beast Spear, flying straight towards the strogest enemy. There may be fans who will think, "why didn't they do that part!?", but it's all my choice.

kurahador

Manga was 33 volumes right? Hm yeah 39 episodes does not seem like a lot =/

Suddenly concerned.

Most of the chapters are about the duo saving someone anyway. Cutting some that doesn't feature important/on-going characters arc shouldn't be a problem.

I just hope the series won't feel rushed though.

Not gonna lie, I am a bit worried with only 39 eps.

At 33 volumes, there is absolutely boring insignificant stuff that can be cut, but not what will be needed to fit into a 3 cours show. This isn't the 10 volume Parasyte, which was pretty accurately compressed into a 2 cours show, or even JoJo that managed to the same over 12 volumes.

There WILL be good stuff that's missing. Hopefully nothing that good, as I do still trust Fujita to some extent.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not gonna lie, I am a bit worried with only 39 eps.

At 33 volumes, there is absolutely boring insignificant stuff that can be cut, but not what will be needed to fit into a 3 cours show. This isn't the 10 volume Parasyte, which was pretty accurately compressed into a 2 cours show, or even JoJo that managed to the same over 12 volumes.

There WILL be good stuff that's missing. Hopefully nothing that good, as I do still trust Fujita to some extent.

I think I can picture what arcs will be cut down or condensed and I'm not too worried about losing any of them.

I'm just glad they're trying to do it justice.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT THAT OPENING IS SO HARDCORE I LOVE IT

EDIT2: HOLY SHIT THEY'RE DOING GOD'S WORK HERE. THIS IS AMAZING.

The first episode was 90's as fuck. It already has the best opening of the season.

You know what other manly manga needs to be adapted, seeing as mangas that ended decades ago can still get animes for them?

Kongou effin' Banchou, I'm still gutted this hasn't gotten an anime yet.

Back on topic though will give this show a watch when I wake up, will recommend it to my friend too.

The author's recent manga, Seven Deadly Sins, was adapted, so there might be a chance for Kongou.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The first episode was 90's as fuck. It already has the best opening of the season.

I absolutely love how it ends, with
Ushio and Tora swearing to kill each other the first chance they get.
Also, I fucking love Tora. He's absolutely amazing. He cannot tell a lie to save his life, literally.

The author's recent manga, Seven Deadly Sins, was adapted, so there might be a chance for Kongou.

Wow, how did I never make that connection. The art is so similar too. I actually liked Kongou Banchou, 7 deadly sins not so much, though.

The OP is pretty good but I think Gatchaman has it beat.

I'll give it a shot if it doesn't look as dated/80's as the OP pics imply.

That's pretty much the point. It's a manga from the 90s, it's fully embracing that. It of course uses modern animation techniques and stuff, though.

jax

Banned
Wow, how did I never make that connection. The art is so similar too. I actually liked Kongou Banchou, 7 deadly sins not so much, though.

The OP is pretty good but I think Gatchaman has it beat.

That's pretty much the point. It's a manga from the 90s, it's fully embracing that. It of course uses modern animation techniques and stuff, though.

finally watched the OP. it looks like fun. I'll give it a shot.

Mesoian

I am so fucking happy this show is happening and seems good. Ushio and Tora is one of my favorite mangas of all time and it getting a decent rendition is absolutely wonderful.

This whole season of anime is filled with heavy hitters. It's like 1998 all over again.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, I remember reading this a few years ago. Totally gotta check this out.

Mortemis

Banned
Man, that's one more anime to watch. This season went from me thinking I'm not watching anything to watching two.

This is good enough for me. Love some good 90's like anime.

Moaradin

I really enjoyed that. Was a lot more lighthearted than I thought it would be. Pretty happy it's not super edgy(yet).

Tizoc

^Yeah like I posted the manga wasn't dark or edgy and I really liked it that way, hope the keep that tone throughout but not clash with the series stuff.

I think I can picture what arcs will be cut down or condensed and I'm not too worried about losing any of them.

I'm just glad they're trying to do it justice.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT THAT OPENING IS SO HARDCORE I LOVE IT

EDIT2: HOLY SHIT THEY'RE DOING GOD'S WORK HERE. THIS IS AMAZING.

Based on what was posted, they'll focus on the major plots, which IMO is OK, so far the pacing has been good in ep.

I also agree that the OP is frikkin' hardcore, I need subs for it, ish is too manly.

massoluk

Banned
I like the first episode, really well done.

The manga was awesome, the plot just kept on escalating and escalating to a very satisfying climax. It got very emotional and Ushio was the fucking man through and through. The best fucking bro before bro was ever the word.

Ushio and Tora, BFF of all time.

Tizoc

So my friend figured it instantly when I told him the title of the show, but Ushi= Cow/Cattle in Japanese, O= King, Tora= Tiger.
So Cow and Tiger, a rather nice use of words there :p

Currently reading the manga and I am really looking forward to some of the stuff Ushio and Tora are gonna go up against animated.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty nice first episode. I'm in.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
woah, talk about lttp. Hope it's as good as the manga, but since it's got approx a trillion characters this ain't gonna be the full deal

Tizoc

woah, talk about lttp. Hope it's as good as the manga, but since it's got approx a trillion characters this ain't gonna be the full deal

Yeah some stories are likely to be skipped which is fine IMO since they don't impact the major first plot much.

One thing I'm curious about though-
Correct. From an interview with the manga author:

Was Hakumen no Mono not covered in the OVA or did he feel the OVA didn't live to his expectations?

Taking the 2nd ep. for example, I feel this one can be cut since it was more
exposition for Ushio and the girls' relationship, and unless this Youkai gets mentioned later on or has a role or something I'm curious why they decided to animate it instead of going straight to the painting story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom