• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ushio and Tora TV |OT| ONE HUNDRED TIMES THE TESTOSTERONE OF DRAGON BALL SUPER

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Ushio breakdown was a long time coming. I hope our hero will come back stronger from this!
Also ever since season 2 started I've been wondering who the guy on the left was. I literally don't remember him at all.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the anime skipped the story introducing him.

kinda hate the whole "hot blooded hero lost his cool and does something stupid" crap but I guess it's part of the package so I won't mind it too much. I have to say thou, they nailed the voice of Hakuman no Mono pretty good for the most part. got that creepiness and the dark feel to it.

Ushio was getting on my damn nerves the entire episode. I understand the selfish feelings, but damn. It wasn't Tora's fault that your friend was a treacherous asshole. You have to accept that. Oh well. Still a good episode overall.

Season 2 Episode 8
I didn't expect Tora backstory at this point, but Ushio learning about it from shards of the Beast Spear makes sense. The nonspecific Arabic setting was an odd choice. It was interesting that Tora and Hakumen were so intimately tied. I'm guessing that scene of human Tora stretching his arm randomly before getting the Beast Spear was better explained in the manga.

Season 2 Episode 9
"Now we can use the giant Kirilian device, Trump!"

I didn't expect Hakumen no Mono to actually succeed in causing country-wide destruction. Anyway, this was a pretty good "heroes regather" episode.

I really like the voice they chose for Hakumen. It's not a typical gigantic villain voice, but it sounds so sinister, sneering and so full of malice. The mix of the whispering and angry voice is great. Hakumen's design is very 80s shonen and he's just a big youkai but the voice really helps Hakumen's presence.

Season 2 Episode 11
It's nice seeing all of these things help during the fight, but I feel like the fact that their effects all boil down to "Hakumen is pushed further toward the barrier" makes it all repetitive. Earlier, people were hyping how everything comes back during the final battle, but this seems to be doing it in a way that lacks much meaning.

Still, looking forward to the final episode.

Season 2 Episode 12
OK, not the final episode after all.

Somehow I liked the "everyone coming to help" stuff in this episode more than the previous one, even though returning to fight grunts should feel less meaningful than pushing Hakumen back. I laughed at that girl's dad's ghost coming out of the gate with a giant plane somehow. I didn't remember who the monk youkai was supposed to be at first, but then I went, "Oh yeah, that guy that really hated Ushio's mother." But how did those tanks get there?

I didn't expect the azafuze to start turning into Hakumen clones, but it makes poetic sense, and it explains why Tora had to be sealed away. I liked Hakumen's reaction to this. I hadn't noticed that Hakumen is constantly depicted as looking up to Ushio and Tora, including in the ending.

Season 2 Episode 13 - FINAL
That was a pretty good ending. The idea that Hakumen can't sense the Beast Spear if it's embedded in Tora makes sense and does explain things, though I'm not fully convinced it was necessary to stab through Tora to kill Hakumen. The part with Hakumen revealing that it really wanted to become a baby the entire time was weird.

With the ghost stuff, in general, I thought it was handled really well. I liked that the ghosts only ever appeared for a few seconds and then faded away, so it didn't feel broken.

I usually don't like "the magic goes away" endings, but I thought this worked out well, particularly with how the Beast Spear had negative effects on Ushio and how the yokai allowed several to stay behind. The very last part with Tora maybe coming back, I was not a fan of, though.

I could have used more in the epilogue, though. I mean, all of that last battle should have had huge repercussions in the world.

For the series overall, it was really enjoyable, though it was was boring at points, while at the same time being rushed at others. The second season especially was very rushed at the start, and I felt like Guren in particular got the shaft because of that. If it comes to Toonami, I'll definitely rewatch it, even with the Sentai dub.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I love how beating Hakuman was a mix of the power of friendship and the art of trolling.

Haroon

Going to give this a shot, thanks for the recommendation. This better have some metal music:
153485f765efc8131b7ddc924538d0bd1459362513_full.jpg

Really nice anime and i enjoyed it a lot. I liked how they said Hakumen was actually always looking up at them as if they were his king and he was below them. All because of the Beast Spear. Nice touch. Was kinda expecting something to happen between Ushio and the girl, forgot her name right now but nope. Was also hoping that Tora would survive but i guess in the end this is how it is supposed to end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom