• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ushio and Tora TV |OT| ONE HUNDRED TIMES THE TESTOSTERONE OF DRAGON BALL SUPER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

This show is making me wish I hadn't watched the old OVA DVDs before seeing this. So far, I feel like the show is less dark and not as violent as it used to be. But it's still good.

What you see is what is in the manga, I guess because they're speeding through things, some of the horror elements are left out.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Was not a fan of the latest episode.
They had to cram in an entire book into 20 something minutes episode.

Was this episode 8 you're talking about?

Now you mention it the pacing did seem rather odd tbh, it seemed like the perfect pitch for a one off OVA episode though not sure if they covered it in the originals. It was so Shounen though right down to the final goodbye gives you the feel of the late 80s early 90s no doubt.

Huh, so those two guys that appeared in the opening not only didn't turn out to be villains, but they weren't even particularly interesting. A shame.

At what the hell @ that random guy deciding that throwing rocks at a giant weasel with a blade was a good idea.

Ushio and Tora 12

GBGvKIO.jpg

Woah, didn't expect Ushio to be a shitposter, surprising

Good to see some semblance of an overarching plot now. I hope this is the arc where Ushio and Tora stop being tsun tsun and finally just get along. The bus ride was great though

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I liked this episode. One of the "next episode title card previews" a few episodes back (I think it was at the end of the Kamaitachi episode) it mentioned the next episode would be about a Kappa. Did they screw up? It confused me when we got an episode of the Zashiki Warashi. Now in this episode we got the Kappa.

The old guy he rescues at the end
has to be a youkai right?

Does Tora get reincarnated into Work Guy in the future? That's all I can think of when I see him lol

kkWDHod.jpg

4BzGl4L.png

Was this episode 8 you're talking about?

Now you mention it the pacing did seem rather odd tbh, it seemed like the perfect pitch for a one off OVA episode though not sure if they covered it in the originals. It was so Shounen though right down to the final goodbye gives you the feel of the late 80s early 90s no doubt.

Haha sorry for the super late reply! I was talking about the episode with the plane.

Philippo

Watched the last two episodes, whoa did the show shifted to higher gears!

Many GIF worthy material in the last one.

also blonde motorcycle girl was hawt

Tora finally realized he's Tsundere.

I-it's not like i'm not eating you because i like you... you b-baka!

Trojita

Great episode.

The fuck happened to his teeth though. It looked like someone broke them all lol.

Does anyone know if there is a Japanese myth or legend that involves women combing hair to calm a dude down

Because otherwise this is really goofy lol

episode 19

lol wouldn't the Chinese have a different name for Hakumen no Mono if they have a different one for Tora? Do they even call them Youkai?

Other then that, holy shit Hakumen no Mono. How do you even fight that. The eyes in this series are so great, really felt the piercing gaze from Hakumen no Mono.

Mortemis

Banned
Episode 19

Holy shit, hakumen no mono is ridiculous. The last few minutes was super intense, that gaze froze both Ushio and me.

Trojita

Only else laugh when the Hakumen's avatar's hand went up and down when they fell to the ground? The fuck was up with that?

Also lol at Ushio walking away with his back to everyone. Like, where the fuck are you going Ushio?

I've been recommending it to people. The fact that its a straight up shonen series from the 90s is a pretty easy sell. Of course I wouldn't recommend people watch it over JoJo or HxH or anything.

Trojita

Did some of the animation seem different to you guys in this episode?

I'm not sure I like this arc. I was wondering how the scientists from the OP were going to end up being relevant on the show. It always seems like Ushio can't summon the damn spear anytime plot calls for him not to. He could have summonded it when he was strapped in the car. He could have easily called it in the room before he got tranqed. I also don't know why he didn't transform when he got shot with the darts, you'd think the transformation would hot blooded negate the effects.

Also cell regeneration is OP as fuck power for Hakumen no Mono.

Raxus

I do. Final 13 episodes correct?

It is a busy season compared to when it first premiered. Hope it doesn't get left behind.

That was a pretty good episode, though the romance situation is still weird.

Opening was alright, though not as good as the previous. Looks like some hype shit is coming up. I liked the ending, which was probably the best of the lot.

Trojita

Oh man just started the first episode of the second season and that opening song is heavy metal hype as fuck.

Trojita

Man, that first episode was crazy. Like Ushio and Tora injected directly into the veins.

didn't even know there's a second season (thou I hoped for it) and that it's started. catching up right now. I still think they're cutting a little too much in order to get the whole story wrap up this season but I suppose as long as it's done right there's not much to complain about.

this is one of my favorite manga back then and the only "hot blooded" series I ever really like. there's just something charming to the story and the style of the art to make it click with me. especially the dread, despair and terror the youkai's looks instill really translates across the pages and leap up at you.

on a side note, I don't really remember a lot of other series, Western or Eastern,
that had the antagonist to erase the memory of people about the protagonist in order to defeat him
. it really seems like such a unique and good way to break the protagonist I feel more bad guys should try it.

fake edit: just got to the episode where
Guren
appears, they REALLY are cutting big chunks of the manga stories to rush things along huh? dang...

Mortemis

Banned
Man, they're moving really fast, I never read the manga but a lot was covered in just this one episode. It's because it's a one hour season right? Wish they would just go with another two cours.

Either way, I'm loving it. I really like the idea of everyone forgetting Ushio, and not just everyone remembering the next episode. I hope it goes on for a lil while tbh, and drives for more character development for Ushio.

Man, they're moving really fast, I never read the manga but a lot was covered in just this one episode. It's because it's a one hour season right? Wish they would just go with another two cours.

Either way, I'm loving it. I really like the idea of everyone forgetting Ushio, and not just everyone remembering the next episode. I hope it goes on for a lil while tbh, and drives for more character development for Ushio.

yeah, LOTS of stuff were cut but from the looks of things at least the pay off I'm the form of that final battle will be so sweet. I'm not one for the hot-blooded stuff but this one really stand out and above your day to day hot-blooded shouen stuff.

Trojita

Ushio got an armor upgrade!

And then Tora got an upgrade too!

That Deja vu scene was super weird. Wasn't sure if they were replaying the first episode scene with the spear misplaced (where ushio threw it this episode) or whether they were playing along together lol.

Season 2 Episode 6
While it was extremely obvious that they were rushing like crazy earlier in the season, Hakumen no Mono's awakening was really well done. It was also great seeing Ushio reunite with his mother. The demons running around in giant robot suits is something that was explained better in the manga, I assume.

I'll also have to agree with people here that it's neat how everyone lost their memories of Ushio and Tora (except those who didn't), and they still haven't actually regained them.

Trojita

Not a fan of characters like monk dude and the air force guy being fucked over character wise.

Monk dude's attitude transformation was ridiculous. The only thing worth it was how much of a damn troll Tora is. Seriously Troll of the year right there lmao.

Then the Air Force guy ends up being the one that gets tricked by Haukumen to obliterate the pillar.

Season 2 Episode 7
I love Hakumen's troll faces. He was presented really well in this episode, and I'm glad the series remembered that he should have all the abilities his avatars have displayed. It's weird that he appears to be so much more powerful here than in the time travel story, but I guess that's down to him inspiring fear in more people.

Trojita

WTF at Hakuman blowing up that island. Was that Okinawa or a smaller one?

I know Ushio to Tora came first, but I can't help calling Hakuman no Mono "Crackhead Kyubey" since they were introduced.

Next episode is named Tora. Will it be about him in the present or a flashback?

That Ushio breakdown was a long time coming. I hope our hero will come back stronger from this!
Also ever since season 2 started I've been wondering who the guy on the left was. I literally don't remember him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom