• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Utopia TV series - Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pietre rocking this shit.

As for the US version I think a big part of whether it'll be good or not is how long each season is. If it goes for 24 episodes, you can guarantee there will be a lot of bullshit thrown in.

Oh God, I can't magine this strung out over 13 episodes per season, let alone 24.

6 is perfect. Gives it focus, no padding and it keeps the show and the story tightly knit.

The Becky hate displeases me.

I grew to like her, but I can understand the hate.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I think Becky is OK. Granted she isn't the best but she is OK.

Jessica was awesome.

L1NETT

Do we think
the crazy dude is anyone significant (as in related to any of the major characters) or just a mad scientist bloke

It sucks that Donaldson was recast and them discovering Carvel is still alive (assuming the old man isn't a red herring) was the one thing I really didn't want them to do this series. Other than I really enjoyed it; Arby and Jess were awesome as always, I liked the little of the torturer we got last season so I'm glad that he's back, and Wilson becoming a fedora wearing psychopath could be great. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Also I don't get the hate for Becky, as an Englishman I have no difficulty hearing her accent and she's a much more interesting character than Ian.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Do we think
the crazy dude is anyone significant (as in related to any of the major characters) or just a mad scientist bloke

Spoilers are OK once the show has aired. I think.

I think its Carvel

Spoilered just in case.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, better safe than sorry in case someone clicks on this thread by accident :)

We all thinks it's Carvel?

Hmmmm

I think that is kinda cheap, let's see how they pull it off.

Or maybe someone who did time in the asylum with him.

Just finished episode 2, great episode. I love how this show makes you so thirsty to know more. It's gonna be hard with a week in between each episode.

If they decide to make an American remake, then good luck to them casting people as good as these. Good luck especially in finding an Arby who is as compelling as this one. British shows always do a good job of casting believable characters, they just look and act (besides a few of them. Arby and Jessica, for example.) like everyday people.

The visuals style and the music might be easy to replicate (copy), but i couldn't see them doing a better job in the casting department.

squidyj

Ok so i'm going to talk about the Identity of Mr Rabbit.

So when Milner is telling them the story, why can't anyone put together that if rabbit killed everyone involved in the whole debacle, and everyone who witnessed anything, and anyone who witnessed that, that there'd be nobody who would know he had the hanzi for rabbit on his stomach, making the entire story impossible?

And now after catching up with the first two episodes....

Carvel killed a rabbit in front of his son, his son later did i don't even know what to a rabbit. The main antagonist of the series has the name Mr Rabbit. I wonder if this is leading somewhere.

It sucks that Donaldson was recast and them discovering Carvel is still alive (assuming the old man isn't a red herring) was the one thing I really didn't want them to do this series. Other than I really enjoyed it; Arby and Jess were awesome as always, I liked the little of the torturer we got last season so I'm glad that he's back, and Wilson becoming a fedora wearing psychopath could be great. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Also I don't get the hate for Becky, as an Englishman I have no difficulty hearing her accent and she's a much more interesting character than Ian.

Did they explicitly say that was Carvel? They hammered it home quite a bit last season that he was dead. I just thought that guy may help them in other ways?

homez99

Every time I look at the viewing figures for this show it makes me very sad indeed. I've noticed that I haven't seen it trend on Twitter in the UK for the first two episodes either. Why aren't people watching this? As said before in this thread, the plot/casting/cinematography/colours are excellent so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe 10PM is too late for some people or is the story just not accessible?

Even the official Twitter account for the show has a low amount of followers. There seems to be a weird thing going on where people are ignoring it for some reason. When I mention to my mates that they need to watch it, a lot of the time they agree and then don't bother. It'll be heartbreaking to see another TV show I love die just because of viewing figures.

Every time I look at the viewing figures for this show it makes me very sad indeed. I've noticed that I haven't seen it trend on Twitter in the UK for the first two episodes either. Why aren't people watching this? As said before in this thread, the plot/casting/cinematography/colours are excellent so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe 10PM is too late for some people or is the story just not accessible?

Even the official Twitter account for the show has a low amount of followers. There seems to be a weird thing going on where people are ignoring it for some reason. When I mention to my mates that they need to watch it, a lot of the time they agree and then don't bother. It'll be heartbreaking to see another TV show I love die just because of viewing figures.

Too many "reality" documentaries on at around that time, I'm guessing. I guess Utopia just isn't a priority for most.

Dash_

This is going to be cancelled after this series, isn't it? : (

Fuck people who don't support good drama in the UK.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

It is dark, unsettling, peculiar. Has no 'hot' leads, not very giffable, quite violent. The best thing the programme has going for it is the cinematography and as brilliant as that is, it isn't a great way of attracting an audience.

Generally speaking, people don't mind dark but they also enjoy comfort and this does not give you that feeling at all. The characters are unlikeable, the music is unnerving and the general atmosphere is uneasy. All of these are strengths of Utopia, but there is a reason most programmes are not like this.

It is dark, unsettling, peculiar. Has no 'hot' leads, not very giffable, quite violent. The best thing the programme has going for it is the cinematography and as brilliant as that is, it isn't a great way of attracting an audience.

I hope the American remake doesn't go overboard with this. Part of the charm about Utopia is that the majority of the cast are believable and just look like your everyday people. Casting super gorgeous/handsome people would suck, i can't relate to Hollywood-looking supermodels.

I think the lack of "hot" leads is a definite plus for the show imo.

The cast look like a bunch of everyday men and women who're indistinguishable from the general populace and this adds a nice dose of realism to the proceedings. These are folk you wouldn't give a second glance to on the streets of England.

Now the HBO remake on the other hand.....

EDIT:- Beaten by Lukas Japonicus in seconds lol.

Volotaire

Do the viewing figures count 4oD watches within the first day? That may factor into the programme's renewal chances, if the story reaches a 3rd season.

Slowdive

Banned
Every time I look at the viewing figures for this show it makes me very sad indeed.I've noticed that I haven't seen it trend on Twitter in the UK for the first two episodes either. Why aren't people watching this? As said before in this thread, the plot/casting/cinematography/colours are excellent so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe 10PM is too late for some people or is the story just not accessible?

It's a shame about the viewing figures but I did see that "Arby" was trending after the first episode so that's something. Hannibal is the same, amazing show but not many people watch it.

The cast look like a bunch of everyday men and women who're indistinguishable from the general populace and this adds a nice dose of realism to the proceedings. These are folk you wouldn't give a second glance to on the streets of England.

Exactly. Although, It's not just about the way they look, either. They also talk like "normal" people, if you know what i mean. They're just very believable in every aspect.

Hey, Jessica is fine as hell. Becky is quite nice too.

I hope the American remake doesn't go overboard with this. Part of the charm about Utopia is that the majority of the cast are believable and just look like your everyday people. Casting super gorgeous/handsome people would suck, i can't relate to Hollywood-looking supermodels.

Wilson Wilson, Arby and Jessica recasts will be interesting as those are the ones that could and probably will go wrong.

whether or not this gets renewed for a third season i think in time it will be seen as one of the GOAT sci-fi series. and a cult classic.

it's better than everything in the genre i've seen aside from BSG and X-Files tbh. there's this unsettling nature of violence with the antagonists in here. like they'll kill their lovers or shoot up a school 'for the greater good'

Hey, Jessica is fine as hell. Becky is quite nice too.

Wilson Wilson, Arby and Jessica recasts will be interesting as those are the ones that could and probably will go wrong.

Their Arby recast is going to be terrible, i can see it already. Trying to replicate the walk, the cold stare and the slow voice is going to be cringeworthy.

I think Rooney Mara would be a good choice for Jessica. Not sure who for Wilson, though. He's another recast i can see being cringeworthy.

L1NETT

Do the viewing figures count 4oD watches within the first day? That may factor into the programme's renewal chances, if the story reaches a 3rd season.

I think views on stuff like Utopia have a long tail, mainly due to 4oD and the like. I would assume stuff like this factors in to it getting renewed. Dennis Kelly has spoken about his keenness to do a third and maybe forth series.

It's just that it is well below normal C4 viewing figures for the timeslot.

whether or not this gets renewed for a third season i think in time it will be seen as one of the GOAT sci-fi series. and a cult classic.

it's better than everything in the genre i've seen aside from BSG and X-Files tbh. there's this unsettling nature of violence with the antagonists in here. like they'll kill their lovers or shoot up a school 'for the greater good'

This is also very true. Hopefully word of mouth from the critics (Andrew Collins from the Guardian loves it) leads to this series picking up more viewers though.

Yeah, i know exactly what you mean. They're really cold and focused on their objective to the point where everything would be considered an inconvenience, or disposable if the time arose. It gives the show a great sense of urgency and tension knowing that the people who are hunting the characters we like would go to such extremes to reach their goal. Like the T-1000 from Terminator 2, lol.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Definitely. But it is indisputably something that attracts viewers and importantly, brings them back and gets them talking about a programme.

I think views on stuff like Utopia have a long tail, mainly due to 4oD and the like. I would assume stuff like this factors in to it getting renewed. Dennis Kelly has spoken about his keenness to do a third and maybe forth series.

It's just that it is well below normal C4 viewing figures for the timeslot.

This is true. Quality series will be watched and re-watched for a long time after broadcast date. Plus potential DVD/digital/overseas rights sales.

You should also factor in that whilst it may perhaps lose money in the short term, committing to the production of high quality television will help improve 4's reputation. This may encourage people to try out more new series from them (In the same way that people give new HBO programmes a chance because they have a reputation for quality).

It also will improve their efforts to work with high quality talent. If they have proven that they are willing to take risks, work with skilled staff and - most importantly - will commit to these productions, then more people will want to bring their ideas to channel 4.

Ionian

I made the mistake of 'liking' the Utopia Facebook page during season 1 and they spammed the fuck out of me, it was honestly like a 13 year old girl was running the page.

Duster

Stupid question but on how the hell did they manage to get such a great baby Arby?
Was their computer trickery involved? There must have been right because there's no way you'd get such a perfect performance from a kid that age, I can't even work out how they found a kid that looked like he really would grow up to look like full-sized Arby.

While I'm asking stupid questions is there a trope for characters that have a childlike innocence despite being raised to be cold-blooded killers from a young age?
Three of my favourite recent(ish) TV characters fit that mould and I like the contrast it provides so I want to find more.

Stupid question but on how the hell did they manage to get such a great baby Arby?
Was their computer trickery involved? There must have been right because there's no way you'd get such a perfect performance from a kid that age, I can't even work out how they found a kid that looked like he really would grow up to look like full-sized Arby.

While I'm asking stupid questions is there a trope for characters that have a childlike innocence despite being raised to be cold-blooded killers from a young age?
Three of my favourite recent(ish) TV characters fit that mould and I like the contrast it provides so I want to find more.

If iI had to take a wild guess, I'd imagine they would put out casting ads requesting parents to apply their toddlers for the role that had a tendency to stare blankly at people (and have a chubby appearance). I'm guessing the scenes where he holds out his arms would be achieved by having the parents on set or something? I'm not sure. Maybe the child belonged to someone in the crew?

No idea about your second question, sorry.

Loving the show so far, I love the look of the show, the music, the moral ambiguity and the casual severity of the violence.

Spoilers ahead

The way Wilson is going to work with Lee and the Network and Arby is going to help Ian, Becky and the others makes me so excited about the direction this season is going. Past enemies working together is one of my favourite narrative devices.

My only problem with the show is Ian. I cannot bring myself to like or sympathize with him at all. I don't have much of a problem with Becky; at least she's beleivable even if her accent is a little grating.

I think it's one of these classic staples where the villains of a show are just that much more compelling and an actor playing a villain often gets to express themself on screen in a way that's more captivating. Add to that the moral grey area and I find it difficult to root for the "good guys" of this show.

Slowdive

Banned
Some interviews with the cast, Marc Munden and Dennis Kelly towards the bottom of the page that people might be interested in. Fiona seems a bit shy.

On the subject of performances, what on earth did you do to baby Arby to get those reactions in the opening episode?

Those reactions are sort of four seconds out of forty minutes of filming. We used all sorts of techniques – iPads slung underneath the camera that he’s staring at, Thomas The Tank Engine, Toy Story, all those things were going on. It was a lot of dead time and a lot of tears and mum being on set.

If you have very young children in the cast, you can only have them on the set for an hour at a time, maybe two hours, it’s very strict. We were initially promised twins and then of course when they turned up, they weren’t identical twins [laughter], so we got a lot of the rushes with a completely different looking young Arby, which we realised after a couple of days was just not going to work. We may have filmed the back of his head at some point. A lot of dead time, though, a lot of dead time.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/utopia/31294/utopia-series-2-director-marc-munden-qa#ixzz38DTJeFB8

"Surely the most beautifully framed widescreen shot of all television ever" (Andrew Collins)

ibmkkhh5VUVdMp.png

Damn right. Breaking Bad wide shots are up there, too.

L1NETT

Need more Dugdale this week

I like to think Dugdale and Jaime from The Thick of It are the same character and Jaime's career took a massive decline after Tucker left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom