• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 - Pre-TGS discussion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pureauthor said:
Ok, so my Japanese is still approximately on par with that of a goldfish's, but I don't see anything on the list that would read as 'Senjou no Valkyria 3', so... help?
Fourth from the bottom, far right column.

Annnnnd second from the bottom, far left.

kadotsu

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Ok, so my Japanese is still approximately on par with that of a goldfish's, but I don't see anything on the list that would read as 'Senjou no Valkyria 3', so... help?

16/9 @ 14:00 (It's the only thing with a 3)

While I'm happy VC 3 has been effectively announced here, one thing that really bums me out about that presentation schedule is no VF5: Final Showdown.

orz

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Volcynika said:
Sega, always expected to mess up announcements!

You say that as it was a bad thing, the only thing we don't know are game details like the setting, main cast, and gameplay additions (and hopefully some removals from VC2).

That to me is much more exciting :)

Volcynika

Infinite Justice said:
Same.

I was like WAT, then remembered Phantasy Star. I guess its there since the US release is in the same week?

it keeps getting people. :lol

No, it's there because they announced a new version/whatever of Phantasy Star Portable 2 called Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity. Right before the US release of the original game. Yep. Sega.

Ikkarus

Well I was 99.9% convinced it was VC3. After seeing that schedule it's 100%.

Can't wait for information to pop in next week. :D

Volcynika said:
No, it's there because they announced a new version/whatever of Phantasy Star Portable 2 called Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity. Right before the US release of the original game. Yep. Sega.

Wait so it really was for a new version?

I had the thought in my head since its TGS and the info is normally about Japan but i didn't think they would release a newer version so close to the EU/US release.

ezekial45

Banned
Volcynika said:

So it's an expansion of the original game? Or is it the full game, plus the expansion.

Hcoregamer00

Volcynika said:

That's Sega all right :lol

Thankfully they haven't shot themselves in the foot with Valkyria Chronicles. Of course by saying that I totally Jinxed VC3.

epmode

Hcoregamer00 said:
This thread is about gameplay, storytelling, and other speculative stuff that is actually substantive.
61vx3rq.gif

Aw, I was hoping there was new news :(

I wonder if they'll go even more wacky anime with the story than VC2.

I just got to the July pool scene. It's like a very odd situation where every passing second (or time you hit 'O') it somehow gets even worse.

Tailzo

It's a matter of taste though. Some people love their rpg portable (I do!) and other want it on a big screen (yes please to that too :)

But I do hope they'll keep the improvements for the classes though. I like unlocking them, although some of the requirements take a lot of time. + I've played VC2 until August, but the new character art still hasn't grown on me like the first game, so if I could choose, I'd like the artstyle of the first one.

I believe I've already said this, but I'd like the characters to be grown ups. This is all a matter of personal preference though. Don't arrest me ;)

Hcoregamer00

AceBandage said:
So, any speculation on a new class?
Or maybe flying/water units?

All the new classes are enough, just focus more on balancing them so that it doesn't ruin the "rock, paper, scissors" balance the OG game had. VC2 was great, but there were some very overpowered classes.

Keikoku said:
Sega announces sequels so fast :lol

They are like Capcom, ride the money train into the ground.

Not that I am saying that VC3 will be a bad game or anything, but using the "Tales" strategy of having a game a year really is the fastest way to create franchise fatigue.

Nekofrog

Banned
As someone who pretty much hates anime in general, I was pleasantly surprised at how non-anime like VC1 was, despite its visuals. Was sad to hear that VC2 went into more stereotypical generic anime schlock. Hoping VC3 is more like VC1.

Hcoregamer00 said:
All the new classes are enough, just focus more on balancing them so that it doesn't ruin the "rock, paper, scissors" balance the OG game had. VC2 was great, but there were some very overpowered classes.

VC1 was just as bad in that regard, you know. Orders + Scouts = Game win. And Lancers were next to useless.

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
VC1 was just as bad in that regard, you know. Orders + Scouts = Game win. And Lancers were next to useless.

Well, they neutered orders in VC2, so they learned that lesson. Unfortunately they added many classes and forgot to balance them out. Which is why I certainly hope for the breath of classes that VC2, but I certainly hope they balance them out so that each of them will play better.

Nekofrog said:
As someone who pretty much hates anime in general, I was pleasantly surprised at how non-anime like VC1 was, despite its visuals. Was sad to hear that VC2 went into more stereotypical generic anime schlock. Hoping VC3 is more like VC1.

Sorry to disappoint you, but VC1 was filled with as many anime tropes and themes (if not more) than a typical anime TV episode. It had its fill of moe, tsundere, mascot characters, canned character types, and hackneyed dialog.

I still love it though :)

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, they neutered orders in VC2, so they learned that lesson. Unfortunately they added many classes and forgot to balance them out. Which is why I certainly hope for the breath of classes that VC2, but I certainly hope they balance them out so that each of them will play better.

I don't know if I really agree with this. I feel that VC2 is VERY well balanced, especially compared to VC1. The balance in VC2 is actually very deliberate, and more intelligent than most people give it credit for. Instead of nerfing certain classes to make other classes feel stronger, they made each and every class strong in their own ways. If you keep using certain classes instead of others, you will definitely feel they are very strong, and possibly overpowered. But if you take a bit of a risk and try out other classes and change your strategy variety a little, you will find that the other classes have certain advantages and perks which make them just as strong and effective overall.

In VC1, not using scouts + orders exclusively is a huge disadvantage. The other classes have too many drawbacks to make them as effective, especially since many of the objectives in VC1 involved getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible. In VC2, there are certainly several advantages to using certain class combinations, but there are so many MORE combinations which are very, very effective, that it balances out because there is no real "wrong" way to play VC2. As long as your squad formation fits the style of play you want to execute, you will find that each class has a unique use.

Ikkarus

What I really want back is the massive battlegrounds. None of VC2's missions (so far) have reached the magnitude of say Mission 7 from VC1.

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
I don't know if I really agree with this. I feel that VC2 is VERY well balanced, especially compared to VC1. The balance in VC2 is actually very deliberate, and more intelligent than most people give it credit for. Instead of nerfing certain classes to make other classes feel stronger, they made each and every class strong in their own ways. If you keep using certain classes instead of others, you will definitely feel they are very strong, and possibly overpowered. But if you take a bit of a risk and try out other classes and change your strategy variety a little, you will find that the other classes have certain advantages and perks which make them just as strong and effective overall.

In VC1, not using scouts + orders exclusively is a huge disadvantage. The other classes have too many drawbacks to make them as effective, especially since many of the objectives in VC1 involved getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible. In VC2, there are certainly several advantages to using certain class combinations, but there are so many MORE combinations which are very, very effective, that it balances out because there is no real "wrong" way to play VC2. As long as your squad formation fits the style of play you want to execute, you will find that each class has a unique use.

You have a point, when I got the Fencer class I started using it and noticing its overwhelming strength. A class like this with insanely high defense and very high offense has potential for abuse.

I guess that is probably why I believe the VC3 needs balancing.

Ikkarus said:
What I really want back is the massive battlegrounds. None of VC2's missions (so far) have reached the magnitude of say Mission 7 from VC1.

I agree with Duckroll's point earlier, having larger maps from VC1 and mixing the multiple camps found in VC2 would make VC3 FREAKING AMAZING. At first I was apprehensive about the idea of multiple maps, but works wonderfully well in VC2.

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
You have a point, when I got the Fencer class I started using it and noticing its overwhelming strength. A class like this with insanely high defense and very high offense has potential for abuse.

I guess that is probably why I believe the VC3 needs balancing.

The Fencer is very powerful for what it is used for - either defending your camp from pretty much every infantry unit, or using them to capture enemy camps if it is within reach. But they're slow and have very limited movement. There are other units which can do the same thing the Fencers are good at, but there are other pros and cons.

Commandos are every bit as good as Fencers with their flamethrower, and they have the added advantage of being faster and more mobile, as well as having a sub machine gun as well, for long range shots, and interception fire.

Gunners also do the same thing Fencers do (killing multiple enemies in a clustered area) but with even longer range because of the machine gun. They also make good base defenders because of their interception fire, and they move pretty well.

Depending on the situation and your strategy, the Fencer might not always be the best unit to use for taking out a group of enemies. If you are facing heavy fire from turrets and many enemies, and you want to do a frontal assault, yes the Fencer is perfect for this. But if you need to approach a base which is a little further away, it would be impossible to use a Fencer effectively.

Alternatively, if there is an APC sitting in the enemy base area, a Fencer would not be able to take that effectively. A Mauler would, but that's a final tier class. In a case like this, running a Shocktrooper Vet from behind to take out the APC would be more effective.

Suzuki Yu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Not that I am saying that VC3 will be a bad game or anything, but using the "Tales" strategy of having a game a year really is the fastest way to create franchise fatigue.

i hate this as well but this case is exceptional .
if the new game is returning back to console ( i am not demanding here :p ) then i am sure it was under development since the release of the first one . since VCII will not take them that time/effort/money to make .

adversesolutions said:
While I'm happy VC 3 has been effectively announced here, one thing that really bums me out about that presentation schedule is no VF5: Final Showdown.

orz

FYI, there wasn't any kind of presentation for the original game when it was playable in TGS06
so there is still some hope , at least wait for the next Famitsu issue ...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
duckroll said:
Wow, people are kind to the jr today. I guess I should be kind too...

Well... At least he provided a link that proved it was VC3. :p

Hcoregamer00

Suzuki Yu said:
if the new game is returning back to console ( i am not demanding here :p ) then i am sure it was under development since the release of the first one . since VCII will not take them that time/effort/money to make .

This case is no exception, regardless of platform.

Releasing a lot of games within a short time period "will" cause franchise fatigue. Maybe it will start showing in VC3 or maybe it will show up when VC4 is announced next year or in 2012.

duckroll said:
Even if the games are being developed yearly, that hasn't seem to really had much of an impact on Ryu ga Gotoku at all. Personally, I stopped playing after RgG3 because RgG, RgG2, and RgG Kenzan year after year caused enough franchise fatigue for me. But that doesn't seem to have slowed sales. In fact, if anything, Kenzan showed that doing something different from the normal format actually meant that less people were interested or wanted to buy it. Once it returned to the "same old" setting, sales immediately returned and started rising again.

Maybe the reality is that for certain brands, the buying public just wants more and more of the same shit.

That's true, but I think maybe it has to do with the type of market it appeals to. Maybe it is just me, but a more casual fanbase may not care for yearly iterations (ala Madden). While a more hardcore fanbase may be burned out with yearly iterations (ala Tales).

As long as you keep the casual fans coming back, you have a built market no matter what you do to the franchise.

duckroll

Suzuki Yu said:

Even if the games are being developed yearly, that hasn't seem to really had much of an impact on Ryu ga Gotoku at all. Personally, I stopped playing after RgG3 because RgG, RgG2, and RgG Kenzan year after year caused enough franchise fatigue for me. But that doesn't seem to have slowed sales. In fact, if anything, Kenzan showed that doing something different from the normal format actually meant that less people were interested or wanted to buy it. Once it returned to the "same old" setting, sales immediately returned and started rising again.

Maybe the reality is that for certain brands, the buying public just wants more and more of the same shit.

ULTROS! said:
Well... At least he provided a link that proved it was VC3. :p

He didn't provide anything. We were already talking about this hours ago. :p

Acosta

duckroll said:

I feel that, for a series so "cinematic", it would be fair to compare it with TV series, with new seasons that keep the interest of people with new development, characters and so. That's probably why Kenzan wasn't so successful, people were not invested on that setting.

Suzuki Yu

Hcoregamer00 said:
This case is no exception, regardless of platform.

Releasing a lot of games within a short time period "will" cause franchise fatigue. Maybe it will start showing in VC3 or maybe it will show up when VC4 is announced next year or in 2012.

i think it's an exceptional case .
because if you have more time/effort/money to make VCIII then you will be able to make a true successor and a sequel that worth it's number .
the opposite happened with VCII , while it's a great game most of the people think that the original was better in most of the areas .

you can't compare RGG to this game .
in RGG series there was always a full blown HD game released every year . this isn't the same case here .

duckroll

Suzuki Yu said:
You can't compare RGG to this game .
in RGG series there was always a full blown HD game released every year . this isn't the same case with this series .

I don't see your point at all. He is pointing out that releasing a game every year will cause series fatigue. I'm pointing out that RgG does this to the extreme, and it doesn't seem to have suffered at all from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom