• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie: Azure Revolution will be more RPG like due to demo feedback

koutoru

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu features an interview with Valkyria: Azure Revolution director Takeshi Ozawa, who discusses the changes being made to the game as a result of the Battle Demo Ver. 1.0 included with Valkyria Chronicled Remastered in Japan.

• The battle system has changed greatly from the demo. Details will be shared on the official website, but it is more RPG-like now.
  • Since the demo battle had action elements that were too intense for an RPG, you couldn’t think through things as you fought, so we’re introducing a new action gauge for both enemies and allies.
  • It’s been changed so that players can optionally stop time when using weapons and magic.

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/valkyrie-azure-revolution-made-more-rpg-like-result-demo-feedback

lock if old.

sublimit

Banned
It's great that they have been listening to fan feedback and are trying to apply all the necessary improvements.I'm really looking forward to it if Sega ever decides to bring it to the West.

Memory

They just need to make it like the 1st one but with some of the improvements from the sequels, its not rocket science.

Corpekata

Banned
The action was hardly intense, it was just bad and didn't justify the switch to it. If you want mediocre hack n slash Japanese ARPGs, there's already a bunch to choose from, but there's not many games like VC.

If they had gone full action game with really polished mechanics I think people would have been more receptive.

I actually liked the way the battle system worked and I'm disappointed that the response I noticed a lot of people had was effectively "Just make it more like the original."

Ah well, I still have faith.

Maybe more developers should know what their fans want, first?

That's an interesting debate.

I understand the critics Azure Revolution get, but I also understand the devs desires of giving it a twist.

I'm fine with the latter. I thought the franchise was dead after VC3.

Maybe more developers should know what their fans want, first?

JRPG fans have no fucking clue what they want. Myself included.
We are not a monolith. The responses tend to be all over the board with these sort of things.
Devs aren't fortune-tellers.

I'm okay with the cycle of feedback and adjustment in development.
Be creative, then tighten the screws a little.

Aki-at

We'll see how much they've listened to feedback when the next demo launches. If they listen to it then great but I'm a bit worried since the game is meant to launch this Winter in Japan which can be anything between 5 to 7 months more development time.

Alucrid

Banned
when they say field encounters are removed, do they mean this shit?

7Vytze6.gif

Kudo

Loving the art but the demo just looked really boring?
Hopefully they can make it interesting with this.

GHound

"a new action gauge for both enemies and allies."

This shit needs to be an option and not mandatory. Personally was hoping that as a spin-off they'd double down on action and make it faster and crazier, not slower. Oh well.

If they change it and make it a VC clone I'll be pretty pissed. Its a spinoff for a reason listen to feedback but don't cave on what the team wanted to do either.,

Honestly, I would've told them to do what Mass Effect 2/3 did: focus on making the combat mechanics as good as possible, then start incorporating the RPG stuff and jettison anything that doesn't make sense. Right now the game seems like a slow, dull mess that the story might be able to elevate to being considered mediocre instead of just being bad.

I find it amusing that most "demos" are more like betas these days (in that devs actually collect feedback and implement changes to the final product from them- see FFXV, Ni-Oh, and now AR) and most "betas" are more like demos (in that they're clearly more about promoting the game than actually catching bugs/collecting feedback- see Overwatch, The Division, and Battlefront.)

And while it's nice that they've realized that this clearly isn't the game fans want from the franchise and are trying to salvage it, it's still a little troubling that it took that overwhelming fan feedback to make them realize it.

JRPG fans have no fucking clue what they want. Myself included.
We are not a monolith. The responses tend to be all over the board with these sort of things.
Devs aren't fortune-tellers.

I'm okay with the cycle of feedback and adjustment in development.
Be creative, then tighten the screws a little.

JRPG fans as a whole may not know what they want, but Valkyria fans have a pretty clear idea of what they want and an action RPG spinoff isn't it, at least not when there hasn't been a proper main-line game in five goddamned years. Had this game been announced alongside a proper VC4 reaction wouldn't be as violent, I'm sure.

It's similar to how a big part of the negative reaction to Federation Force was because there hasn't been a decent "standard" Metroid game since 2007. People don't mind spin-offs as a general rule, even shitty cash-grab spinoffs like f2p mobile games and pachinko machines, but only as long as they're actually spin-offs, which requires there to still be an active main line of the franchise to spin-off from.

Rymuth

JRPG fans as a whole may not know what they want, but Valkyria fans have a pretty clear idea of what they want and an action RPG spinoff isn't it, at least not when there hasn't been a proper main-line game in five goddamned years. Had this game been announced alongside a proper VC4 reaction wouldn't be as violent, I'm sure.
Well said.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think what was presented in the demo, if fully fleshed out, could have worked as a game. Just not with the Valkyria branding, despite the artstyle and setting elements.

Good to see feedback being considered.

Well said.
Its really not. And its happening every Thread about this game. They made it clear this wasn't a VC, its a spinoff they wanted to try new things, its only been 5 years and you guys want to know why its even been that long? Because last one didn't sell. So now they're switching it up with this SPINOFF, to not only try and give "fans" something new but to grab other audiences to expand the Valkyrie fanbase.

Falk

that puzzling face
Its really not. And its happening every Thread about this game. They made it clear this wasn't a VC, its a spinoff they wanted to try new things, its only been 5 years and you guys want to know why its even been that long? Because last one didn't sell. So now they're switching it up with this SPINOFF, to not only try and give "fans" something new but to grab other audiences to expand the Valkyrie fanbase.

And in almost every other thread, reasons why the previous two didn't sell (e.g. a lot of the charm and feel of the original wasn't present, different platform that didn't have a strong Western presence, 3 wasn't localized, all the catch 22s known to humankind, yadda yadda) were discussed.

SerTapTap

I think this "early demo that people actually gather feedback from" are a great idea. A lot of weird departures from tradition could have been improved/avoided with such "demos" last gen.

Calling them demos is a bit odd though.

Pretty sure if you screw up your last game, the solution is to make a better game not completely abandon the very concept of the original game even more but still keep the branding anyway just to be a dick.

_Ryo_

What was the battle system like before? Action/real time? And are they saying it is more like a ATB system now similar to Final Fantasy X-2 with the wait command?

Having a tactical rpg be pure action based would be a weird decision...

What was the battle system like before? Action/real time? And are they saying it is more like a ATB system now similar to Final Fantasy X-2 with the wait command?

Having a tactical rpg be pure action based would be a weird decision...
It was really really slow. Like the shooting was pretty much on par with regular Vc's but when you got close it transitioned to more like an action RPG except it felt way too damn slow to be an actual action rpg. They needed to fix the speed and tweak a couple things here and there but it had a nice setup. Idk what they're going to do with it now

Steroyd

Given that they narrowed their Valkyria PS3 fanbase by virtue of VC2 being PSP only and VC3 being PSP and Japan only. It probably would have been smarter to release a VC4 worldwide first than do offshoot spin offs because I sure as hell don't know where the fans are right now.

Given that they narrowed their Valkyria PS3 fanbase by virtue of VC2 being PSP only and VC3 being PSP and Japan only. It probably would have been smarter to release a VC4 worldwide first than do offshoot spin offs because I sure as hell don't know where the fans are right now.
They should've just said a Vc4 was coming even if it was far off that would've kept a couple quiet and calm but I mean I don't blame them for wanting to do a spinoff to capture a different audience

Your argument would hold more water if the PC port of the original didn't sell so well. People clearly want more of what VC1 was doing, VC2 and VC3 just failed to actually deliver on that, partially due to the changes they made to the gameplay/story tone and partially due to changing to a platform that was less popular everywhere outside of Japan (to the point where the third game wasn't even localized.)

Your argument would hold more water if the PC port of the original didn't sell so well. People clearly want more of what VC1 was doing, VC2 and VC3 just failed to actually deliver on that, partially due to the changes they made to the gameplay/story tone and partially due to changing to a platform that was less popular everywhere outside of Japan (to the point where the third game wasn't even localized.)
My argument still does hold water. They never said they weren't making another Vc.

Ascheroth

The PC port had nothing to do with Sega Japan.

Aki-at

Honestly think the fact it's called Valkyria Azure and not Valkyria Chronicles 4 gives me hope that the latter might be revisited down the line. This isn't a case of the Shining butchering (where they completely forgot the FORCE part of the name was meant to imply it was a SRPG) but seems to have been handled slightly better and they seem to be mindful of that in every interview.

Personally I'm up for some action RPG goodness as long as it's great to play. The demo didn't seem to be that though, it felt like a very early gameplay showcase.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I have absolutely zero confidence that this game will turn out well. That they designed such a bad gameplay system in the first place shows they really have no idea what they are doing.

I just hope the inevitable failure of this game doesn't kill the series forever.

Well Valkyrie series is a Tactical RPG, but the action elements in the demo were not tactical at all
I understand that, not that it's in my place to say but perhaps the most important thing about the valkyria series that it's RPG based, that much is still consistent with the 4th game despite its gameplay changes

Top Bottom