• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie: Azure Revolution will be more RPG like due to demo feedback

Fady K

With Nioh's feedback and now this, these demos are a game changer - literally. Amazing how much this can help both the developers and the gamers at the end of the day. Hope this becomes more of a trend, as long as the feedback is realistic enough.

With Nioh's feedback and now this, these demos are a game changer - literally. Amazing how much this can help both the developers and the gamers at the end of the day. Hope this becomes more of a trend, as long as the feedback is realistic enough.

FFXV seems to have changed a lot due to feedback too.

I agree this is great to see changes made to make for a better game.

Fady K

FFXV seems to have changed a lot due to feedback too.

I agree this is great to see changes made to make for a better game.

Yeah I was very surprised at the amount of feedback both Koei Tecmo and SEGA are taking very seriously for their demos. Both groups of gamers that played Nioh and Valkyrie Azure Revolution found plenty of problems - so this is a win win for both developers and gamers.

Aters

It was my most anticipated game of the year, and now I don't care about it anymore. RPG element? Seriously? Who says we need another RPG? You strip the unique system away from VC and all you get is a mediocre JRPG. Where the fuck is the strategy?!!! If your are not making a proper SRPG, why do you call it Valkyria? You have your crappy Shining series JRPG coming out every two years and you can shove this piece of trash into it too.

I understand that, not that it's in my place to say but perhaps the most important thing about the valkyria series that it's RPG based, that much is still consistent with the 4th game despite its gameplay changes

VC is not RPG based. There's little RPG element in the game, the customization is extremely limited. Everything is about strategy (and a little real time action). That demo has zero strategy whatsoever and from this interview I believe the director still doesn't know shit about why people like VC.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It was my most anticipated game of the year, and now I don't care about it anymore. RPG element? Seriously? Who says we need another RPG? You strip the unique system away from VC and all you get is a mediocre JRPG. Where the fuck is the strategy?!!! If your are not making a proper SRPG, why do you call it Valkyria? You have your crappy Shining series JRPG coming out every two years and you can shove this piece of trash into it too.

Tell us how you really feel. You keep referring to Valkyria Chronicles, but this has never been that. So if you were expecting that, you only have yourself to blame.

VC is not RPG based. There's little RPG element in the game, the customization is extremely limited. Everything is about strategy (and a little real time action). That demo has zero strategy whatsoever and from this interview I believe the director still doesn't know shit about why people like VC.

Strange how it can be your most anticipated game of the year and yet you were somehow blindsided to the fact that it wasn't operating like a VC game since the first article dropped.

Just strange is all.

Aters

Strange how it can be your most anticipated game of the year and yet you were somehow blindsided to the fact that it wasn't operating like a VC game since the first article dropped.

Just strange is all.

Nothing strange. Just a guy being salty that's all.

They didn't explicitly say that the game has zero strategy element. They said there's going to be changes, and I like changes. Remember the time when we knew nothing about the game except that concept trailer? That's when it was my most anticipated game. My hype went down when the first screenshot came out, and the demo killed it.

Honestly think the fact it's called Valkyria Azure and not Valkyria Chronicles 4 gives me hope that the latter might be revisited down the line. This isn't a case of the Shining butchering (where they completely forgot the FORCE part of the name was meant to imply it was a SRPG) but seems to have been handled slightly better and they seem to be mindful of that in every interview.

Personally I'm up for some action RPG goodness as long as it's great to play. The demo didn't seem to be that though, it felt like a very early gameplay showcase.

You can certainly equate the Azure series being more like the mainline Shining games and the Chronicles games being more like the Force games but Sega has largely shot themselves in the foot with this game.

After a great first game they sent it off to die on the PSP (at least in the west) then after that sold like shit in the west they decide to not even give us the third one. Despite them giving us the VC remaster (which holds up really well oddly enough) I have severe doubts that Azure will even come stateside but that remains to be seen.

Despite all of that however it just absolutely boggles my fucking mind that between Shining Force and VC Sega has 2 huge SRPG series that can rival Fire Emblem and they keep making these action RPG's that don't sell very well and they don't even try to bring the good ones to the west anymore. Fire Emblem and SRPG's in general have blown up in popularity as of late and here we have Sega just sitting on such good IP and not using it at all there is a big market that FE and games like Xcom have built up over the last several years and Sega seems just clueless when I can easily argue that both VC and SF are generally better then both of those series.

So despite some of the small good things Sega has done lately... Sega is still being Sega.

Inuhanyou

I think Azure Revolution coming west should be assumed as inevitable at this point. No dev is going to invest in a core game for Japan only, especially on a single console without looking westward at some point.

Even Yakuza which was almost never going to come west found its way here somehow. So Azure, which is a spinoff of a game they were happy to sell as a remaster just recently seems like a no brainer

I think Azure Revolution coming west should be assumed as inevitable at this point. No dev is going to invest in a core game for Japan only, especially on a single console without looking westward at some point.

Even Yakuza which was almost never going to come west found its way here somehow. So Azure, which is a spinoff of a game they were happy to sell as a remaster just recently seems like a no brainer

Yeah... tell that to every Shining game came since Exa, Phantasy Star Online 2, and dozens of others that Sega just stopped bringing to the west. Yakuza is the odd series out becuase fans complained loud enough for Sega to hear.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
That's uh... Not always a good thing.
That can just as easily lead to catastrophe honestly
It's not about it always being a good thing it's about having games that have a distinct voice. See Miyazaki, Kojima, Bioshock, Dota2 and many more.
I rather go through a few failures that at least were games that at least try to show a convictions of the devs making something that they want to play than go through anything that is design by committee.

Now, one does not have to exclude the other and creators are certainly capable of interpreting feedback in a way that does improve their vision. Doesn't mean that I don't worry when you read changes that sound big based on feedback.

Like with the Nioh survey. If we get text box tutorials based on that... urgh.... (hope tutorial is something separate and voluntary like they hinted at, or something that doesn't shove shit in your face at least)

okay well maybe sega knew what they were getting into and that be the reason why this game wasn't titled valkyria chronicles 4. there must be something that at least spiritually connects these games together which is why it's part of the valkyria franchise but just because it's different doesn't mean it will be bad.

the only thing about this game that i've seen which i don't like is that ridiculous female (villain?) character design.

Inuhanyou

Yeah... tell that to every Shining game came since Exa, Phantasy Star Online 2, and dozens of others that Sega just stopped bringing to the west. Yakuza is the odd series out becuase fans complained loud enough for Sega to hear.

But that's like Shining remasters coming west but not the new games.

I'd understand if there had been no PC western re-release, or remastering effort for PS4 complete with western re-release and special edition, but they are clearly looking western markets for this because of those things.

the only thing about this game that i've seen which i don't like is that ridiculous female (villain?) character design.

That is what selvaria has turned into since the first game, a parody of herself.

Begaria

Can't wait to see what 2.0 looks like. This new system almost sounds like a Valkyrie Profile 2 situation, except with a ATB bar.

Sou

The way these Japanese devs are handling demos and getting feedback shows that they are not only out of touch with what the fans want, but also that oftentimes they should just make a complete new game rather than trying to "innovate" on IP's with entrenched fans.

Nyoro SF

Let's see if I can add some comments now that I have some free time...

Encounters abolished
Good thing. The whole bad/good situation callout disrupted the flow of combat. With enemies just standing around waiting for you to approach them it also added to the uncomfortable pace.

Action gauge implemented
The demo had no limit previously, but it turned it into a bit of a mindless button masher. With ATB now you have to pick and choose. I don't know if this is shared between teammates or unique action gauge per character. Probably the former.

Gun position revised
I have no idea what this means but hopefully there's more strategy to the gunplay... like limiting ammo for starters if you're going to make guns stronger lol

Skills (Magic Arts, weapons, etc.) changed to time-stopped command selections
Like stated earlier in the page, hopefully like KOTOR's system of timestop. Even with KOTOR's dated graphics, it was still a cool strategy system.

There's a lot more, but I think around 75% of these "changes" feel like regular development choices that would've happened with or without. Like this list:

Story event implemented
More than 10 playable characters implemented
Difficulty settings implemented
Army, weapons, and Magic Arts enhancements
Weapon custom elements and Magic Arts custom elements
Indoor battles implemented
Day-to-night change implemented
BGM switching clarified
Dandy male character implemented
Removed Ophelia’s tights

Laughing at removing Ophelia's tights, to be honest I never noticed she had them in the first place... I'm pretty interested in the day-night shift though. Hope I can light my surroundings with ragnite tricks or something.

Teletraan1

Banned
My opinion is that you should stick to the same genre for a Series. If your intent is to have a spinoff then make it fucking clear that this is a spinoff with different gameplay. People play series because they expect a certain type of gameplay from that series. If you want to change it into something else call the fucking game something else. Some series that is only now getting a renaissance due to some ports of the first game coming to a wider audience while its sequels were shackled to a portable that was fucking DOA outside of monster hunter playing areas doesn't have the cache anyway so why co-op the brand for a totally different experience. It makes zero sense.

Chirotera

Banned
Given that they narrowed their Valkyria PS3 fanbase by virtue of VC2 being PSP only and VC3 being PSP and Japan only. It probably would have been smarter to release a VC4 worldwide first than do offshoot spin offs because I sure as hell don't know where the fans are right now.

Right here, I guess.

Thought I'd be way way quicker to buy a remastered and properly translated VC3 than I would, whatever this game is. But as someone pointed out... Sega gonna Sega.

Nyoro SF

My opinion is that you should stick to the same genre for a Series. If your intent is to have a spinoff then make it fucking clear that this is a spinoff with different gameplay.

That's the very first thing they did.... they said "This is a spinoff with the name Revolution (Kakumei), the original strategy games are under the name Chronicles (Senjou)".

You can get mad at the other stuff if you want but you probably want to do it in general VC threads and not this one.

Right here, I guess.

Thought I'd be way way quicker to buy a remastered and properly translated VC3 than I would, whatever this game is. But as someone pointed out... Sega gonna Sega.

The development of this game is not preventing a remastered VC3 from happening. What prevents that from happening is that the fanbase for this series is too niche to financially justify a remaster. If anything this game expands the universe and increases the chances for it to happen using overall series awareness, which is why they launched Azure and the Remaster as the "Valkyria Project". To move it forward as a collective and increase those chances, even though it's small.

Cyrano

I prefer auteurs. People don't know what they want.
Auteurs don't exist. Even artists who make things entirely by themselves are a product of communities. There is also no great work that basically wasn't some level of creative thievery (in some cases, it's just regular, outright thievery!). Auteur theory is popularized because it creates mythical individuals, individuals who don't actually exist. It's another modern power fantasy, and like so many, caused far more problems than it solved.

If we're just looking for mythologizing though, I personally prefer Gesamtkunstwerk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesamtkunstwerk

As for Valkyria, it's sad but also kind of expected, given Sega's track record with IPs.

That's the very first thing they did.... they said "This is a spinoff with the name Revolution (Kakumei), the original strategy games are under the name Chronicles (Senjou)".

You can get mad at the other stuff if you want but you probably want to do it in general VC threads and not this one.

The development of this game is not preventing a remastered VC3 from happening. What prevents that from happening is that the fanbase for this series is too niche to financially justify a remaster. If anything this game expands the universe and increases the chances for it to happen using overall series awareness, which is why they launched Azure and the Remaster as the "Valkyria Project". To move it forward as a collective and increase those chances, even though it's small.
They Couldn't have made it anymore clear this was a spinoff.

Any bets on E3 localization announcement?

Just thinking about it since the pace of news on this game has been speeding up exponentially the closer we're getting to E3.

Nyoro SF

Any bets on E3 localization announcement?

Just thinking about it since the pace of news on this game has been speeding up exponentially the closer we're getting to E3.

Hm... since there's no Japanese release date outside of a nebulous "2016", that would be a rare occasion.

Hm... since there's no Japanese release date outside of a nebulous "2016", that would be a rare occasion.

Well, if they've really learned anything from Atlus... It ought be that if they're going to try and bring back an IP with a flagship title after several years, they've gotta be able to build the hype with localization announcements at the ready BEFORE they enter domestic release period when a lot of people start to question if it'll ever be localized and start to tune out.

There's still people to this day who haven't gotten the memo that SMT4Final is being localized, due to expecting it to have been announced long in advance of JP release like SMT4 and Persona 5 were.

It's been discussed to death in the latest Nagoshi thread that the greatest issue hindering Yakuza's success in the west is the unfathomable gap between Japanese and English releases, where in that timespan several games in the series are released in Japan.

Also we already know Persona 5 will be at E3 (By way of Atlus of Japan's word. Don't think Atlus of America has even commented on it at all.), so who knows.

Top Bottom