• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve clarifies "Steambox", Xi3 Piston one of many prototypes/options

Unless your plan is to build a HTPC the Steambox shouldn't impact your timetable. Even if the plan is to build a HTPC, what's the worst that could happen? The thing won't be out for a year, and unless Valve heavily subsidizes the retail cost, a tech savvy user could build something similar for about the same cost.

I think I may be guilty of not fully understanding what a Steambox is since it doesn't actually exist yet. Any details on that (meaning solid predictions)?

I'm going to be building a ~$600 PC, but was holding out because the 'idea' of a Steambox in my mind seems about as attractive.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
As i said on the other thread i would probably get it no matter the hardware because valve will force developer to optimize their future steam games for the steambox.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I want games that are only on PC, but dont want to have to buy a PC.

But a PC would most probably be cheaper, and less you want to use a key board and mouse in your living (which is fine), it's overall doesn't post any real advantage to buying a pc.

Pooya

""low-cost, high-performance designs for the living room"

this comment and piston give an idea what kind of hardware they are looking at overall. high ending gaming doesn't seem to be the focus.

Steam box does seem pretty much pointless to me. You can build your own PC you can connect that PC to TV and get a controller. Why would you would to buy some company made box. It's the antithesis to PC gaming. Unless you want valve to release exclusive games for it, how is it any different from buying an overpriced alienware.

Because my pc is big, is under my desk and is hard to move. A console sized PC would fit more nicely into my living room then a tower desktop.

It does make me slightly worried about the transparency of everything. It would be hard to compare different Steamboxes and a downside is that people would still have to figure out if their Steambox can run a certain game.

Interfectum

Steam box does seem pretty much pointless to me. You can build your own PC you can connect that PC to TV and get a controller. Why would you would to buy some company made box. It's the antithesis to PC gaming. Unless you want valve to release exclusive games for it, how is it any different from buying an overpriced alienware.

SteamBox is a way for Valve to be less dependent on people owning a Desktop Windows Gaming PC. They are looking 10-20 years into the future.

And barely anyone is mentioning 'exclusive' SteamBox titles. Source Engine 2 will most likely be multiplatform from the ground up (Mac/Linux/Windows support out the gate).

Dibbz

This is better than both because it can be upgraded. Its essentially the next evolution of the HTPC.

Where did the say that they would allow you to upgrade the box? If you can then, cool I guess but still don't see why it's better than a PC. From what I can see though, there are going to be multiple versions of it from different companies, kinda like what Android and its handsets are like.

I have multiple TVs and I don't want multiple gaming desktops in my house. There are people, like me, who have a gaming PC and an Xbox / PS3 / Wii. A SteamBox could potentially wipe out my need to buy a console at all.

You clearly do want multiple gaming desktops in your house if you want a Steambox. Also I don't see how a Steambox would solve the problem of exclusives being tied to 360 or PS3. If you want to play most games you need most of the hardware. If you want to play Steam games though a PC does it already.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
What stupid gaming accessory are you going to wear so that you can distinguish yourself as Valve's Triforce Johnson?

JEF7I.jpg

Neo C.

""low-cost, high-performance designs for the living room"

this comment and piston give an idea what kind of hardware they are looking at overall. high ending gaming doesn't seem to be the focus.

Of course not. The guys with high end PCs already have Steam. And they'll have Steam even with Windows 8.

Edit:
It does make me slightly worried about the transparency of everything. It would be hard to compare different Steamboxes and a downside is that people would still have to figure out if their Steambox can run a certain game.
I bet Valve is going to define a standard. Say, "Steam Standard 1.0" has this minimal requirements, and every game which can run with this standard is highlighted. And next year they'll define "Steam Standard 2.0" and so forth.

Interfectum

You clearly do want multiple gaming desktops in your house if you want a Steambox.

No, I clearly want a main gaming hub and a secondary 'family room' setup for streaming media and playing some games. Currently my Xbox is that secondary setup but I'd replace that in a second with a Steambox. I don't want to setup another gaming desktop PC, one is enough. Something like this is perfect, for me. Obviously not every PC gamer has the same situation.

Where did the say that they would allow you to upgrade the box? If you can then, cool I guess but still don't see why it's better than a PC. From what I can see though, there are going to be multiple versions of it from different companies, kinda like what Android and its handsets are like.

The piston is a modular PC, so of course it can be upgraded.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The steambox is for people who want to pc game, but don't have the know how to build one. How is that hard to understand?

Zzoram

If they make a slick tiny form factor Steam Box that is only slightly more expensive than off the shelf equivalent parts, I'd buy it.

gryz

Banned
I think one main appeal of steambox that some of you are missing is that custom high end desktop PCs are huge and ugly. my fiancee hates having my PC in the living room and I kinda wanna get it out of there too as its a bit of an eyesore. I'd be happy to replace that giant pc with something much smaller

The steambox is for people who want to pc game, but don't have the know how to build one. How is that hard to understand?

Or already have a main rig they built and want this for under the TV. Or have techlust.

Obviously there is demand for knowledge of the product if nothing else. Their website is still pretty much borked. Anyways, their YouTube video is pretty informative.

Kite

So.. this is going to be one of those mini/shuttle/cube/small form media/gaming pcs that already exist, but with Valve's certification? meh

Xater

That was obvious. For gaming I think the Piston stuff is severely underpowered. Even the "high end" model. I guess Valve just wants to use the companies expertise in building something with a small form factor. Maybe we will get something a little big bigger (think 360 size) and it will actually have some good hardware.

Interfectum

So.. this is going to be one of those mini/shuttle/cube/small form media/gaming pcs that already exist, but with Valve's certification? meh

Valve is not going to sink the company releasing an Xbox 3 or PS4. They will help get PCs into the living room with a small form factor.

Also a key element we aren't seeing yet is Valve is working on a controller which could effect both SteamBox and Desktop PC users.

harSon

Banned
I think one main appeal of steambox that some of you are missing is that custom high end desktop PCs are huge and ugly. my fiancee hates having my PC in the living room and I kinda wanna get it out of there too as its a bit of an eyesore. I'd be happy to replace that giant pc with something much smaller

You can easily build something that's smaller, yet powerful. I'm not really in the loop with PC components anymore, so I'm not exactly sure of the cost of such an endeavor. But on the software front, you could easily mimic a console experience by forcing your Windows PC to log in to a profile automatically, using XBMC Launcher to have explorer.exe automatically disabled and instead of launching XBMC, reroute it to a batch file that launches Steam in Big Picture mode. So you'll basically have a computer that boots into Big Picture mode upon starting the computer. Get a wireless receiver + Xbox 360 controller and you're set. I'm clueless when it comes to Linux though, but I'm sure the same basic setup could be achieved.

I'm definitely interested in these Android devices though. They seem be fairly attractive in the form factor department, and while I don't PC game as much as I used to, it's potential usage as an XBMC device is definitely appealing.

You can easily build something that's smaller, yet powerful.

And I can easily grill a steak to perfection, but sometimes I want to go out and buy one I don't have to marinate and grill.

If these things feature some sort of Steam customized UI and have extra support then I'm all for it.

lefantome

I'm becoming concerned about Steambox, if it won't have a decent a standard hardware I will never buy it.

I want performance, I'm not buying and android phone on which I can play some games sometimes.
Their teasing now is no more smart marketing but ridicolous self damage.
I hope they will choose ONE hardware and it won't be piston or something similar at all.

Orayn

I'm becoming concerned about Steambox, if it won't have a decent a standard hardware I will never buy it.

I want performance, I'm not buying and android phone on which I can play some games sometimes.
Their teasing now is no more smart marketing but ridicolous self damage.
I hope they will choose ONE hardware and it won't be piston or something similar at all.

Why would they choose just one?

harSon

Banned
And I can easily grill a steak to perfection, but sometimes I want to go out and buy one I don't have to marinate and grill.

If these things feature some sort of Steam customized UI and have extra support then I'm all for it.

I'm not saying there's no market for it, or that it won't be successful. I was sort of just stating that the type of experience they're striving for with PC gaming can currently be had, for those who are interested in such things and weren't aware.

As I said though, I'm definitely interested. Considering this is a dedicated box, and they'll be handling the manufacturing of the product, Valve and their partners will likely be able to achieve a form factor/performance combination that is not currently achievable through DIY means.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Because my pc is big, is under my desk and is hard to move. A console sized PC would fit more nicely into my living room then a tower desktop.

You don't have to use your PC, you could custom build a pc to console size. Hell people are doing it right now which is my point. Buying a Steam box would essentially be no different to buying a Dell or any other manufacturer pc. Sure it's easier than the other alternative but it'll also likely be more expensive. It's not really something I see as hype worthy more oh that's nice it's another option.

lefantome

Why would they choose just one?

Because fixed hardware is the key to have better performance with a cheap hardware, make the platform be likable to developers and publishers and attract gamers as an alternative to Consoles and expensive PCs.

At the moment their idea seems:

"A new platform with the fragmentation of Android dedicated to Hardcore gamers"

It doesn't make any sense. Developers and publishers should support a NEW platform with the same problem as PCs and probably a lot less horsepower than pc and consoles?

As gamers what's the point in buying it? I can buy a htpc some time in the future, build myself a gaming righ, buy a pc in a store and/or buy a console.

Fixed and powerful hardware would have been great instead.

I don't care if it plays games. What I want is a box that I can plug into my PC and stream game video from my main desktop and control it with an XBox controller from my couch. Think OnLive, but local instead of over the internet.

Google "Nvidia Project Shield".

That was obvious. For gaming I think the Piston stuff is severely underpowered. Even the "high end" model. I guess Valve just wants to use the companies expertise in building something with a small form factor. Maybe we will get something a little big bigger (think 360 size) and it will actually have some good hardware.

That would be my guess as well.

Durante

I don't care if it plays games. What I want is a box that I can plug into my PC and stream game video from my main desktop and control it with an XBox controller from my couch. Think OnLive, but local instead of over the internet.
Good news for you (and me!), it was announced yesterday. Not really a box though.

So Valve actually wanted to promote Big Picture Mode by giving some Small Form Factor PCs recognition and we assumed that they are doing a console?

AzerPhire

So are retailers actually going to stock these things? And will it fit into the gaming or computer areas of a store like Best Buy?

I'd like it better if there was just one model, maybe two, instead of this fragmentation of many different types. Reminds me of Android

Top Bottom