• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve clarifies "Steambox", Xi3 Piston one of many prototypes/options

I have a Xbox and PS3 for gaming. MBP and iPad for everything else. I could build a PC with my eyes closed (I work in IT) but I don't really have any interest in having a "desktop" just for gaming.

However I would buy something that is nice and compact for $500 or so that can do an easy 1080p and allow me to play exclusives like Torchlight 2 or PC ports with a gamepad on my TV.

The X51 with the 660 is $1500 here which is stupid since our dollar is worth more than US

Easy_D

never left the stone age
"Oh wow I love the sound of this!"

"No you don't, get a PC"

"I already have one!"

"Then why you need a Steambox bro?"

Banned
iADGgqPAhS9qu.jpg

X51 has everything people here wanted out of the SteamBox for around $750.

Care to give a short summary?

I can't watch it again right now, but as far as I remember nothing of particular interest was said. He gave me the impression he acknowledged it's merely a machine that plays well with Steam's BPM, not THE SteamBox (if there will ever be one) or even A SteamBox that Valve particularly prefers compared to others.

Mrbob

Are we looking at this the wrong way? I know GoFreak has hinted at this, but we keep looking at this from a hardware perspective. What if we should be talking about is SteamOS, and not Steambox?

We all know how bloated Windows is, and how it affects game performance. What if Valve is making an OS that is dedicated exclusively to gaming? Finally we will be able to fully maximize the hardware that is in our computer builds. Different vendors can choose to install this OS on their devices. Steam certified, so to speak. Just a guess, nothing more.

I can see the xi3 investment angle. Gabe has talked awhile about modular computing, and this what xi3 is doing.

MasLegio

Banned
It will probably still be cheaper to build your own PC and you will probably get better performance as well. You will pay extra for the Steam license and brand use.

Are we looking at this the wrong way? I know GoFreak has hinted at this, but we keep looking at this from a hardware perspective. What if we should be talking about is SteamOS, and not Steambox?

We all know how bloated Windows is, and how it affects game performance. What if Valve is making an OS that is dedicated exclusively to gaming? Finally we will be able to fully maximize the hardware that is in our computer builds. Different vendors can choose to install this OS on their devices. Steam certified, so to speak. Just a guess, nothing more.

I can see the xi3 investment angle. Gabe has talked awhile about modular computing, and this what xi3 is doing.

the current games on Steam will run like shit on a SteamOS device because they need to run on emulated operating system as well as emulated drivers and APIs.

antonz

So in the end Valve is basically just giving a Gabe Stamp of Approval to a few manufacturers for "steamboxes"

Smells like damage control.

Also, must be swell to be Xi3 right now. Proudly show off one of your new babies at CES and then have your investing company say, "Well, actually, this isn't the only thing we are preparing."

"Wait for more," isn't really confidence-inspiring.

mephixto

Banned
"Steambox" imo is just some sort of certification for PC builders. I won't be surprised if a lot of systems come with something like "Steam powered PC" or "Steam Ready" , etc.

Valve is and advocate of open systems, I don't think they want to close themselves on just a single piece of hardware.

Boerseun

Banned
They will likely follow Nintendo's example in whittling down all the contenders to just two final options - both tied to the same core innovation but with the one powerful but expensive and the other weaker but cheap.

mephixto

Banned
Seems like their are going to be tiers of Steam Box. You will have the ability to put Windows on it if you want and Biometrics is big for them.

Gaben said:
The internet is super smart. If you do something that is cool, that's actually worth people's time, then they'll adopt it. If you do something that's not cool and sucks, you can spend as many marketing dollars as you want, [they] just won't.

Wise words

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm just really glad all this more or less confirms they're not attempting some weird console system, just trying to find ways to make gaming (but obviously not only, they can be HT, internet machines, office suites, etc) PCs aimed to the mainstream with their form factor (and I suppose ease of use once they show their Linux distro alongside Steam's Big Picture). So, not exactly for me, unless I eventually get some cheap one for the living room (though there are other options), but nothing to dislike or take from their PC gaming focus either. Though if they go that low end it's probably telling for their development future (but I'm okay with that too, Portal 2 still looks really great, they don't risk losing too much money with a flop and I'm sure there can also be meaningful improvements in production values even with that direction, for example if the various vines in Portal 2 were dangling and interacting all physics enabled it would look much better, or perhaps with a high end PC you'll get overhauled rendering like ray tracing while the low end Steamboxes wouldn't be able to pull that off). I don't know how successful they will be, they do have competition in this field (then again it could be considered cooperation, Valve remains software first and their software works on the so called competitors), but more companies attempting these things is a good thing, like all the tablet form PCs showing up. There's no reason to allow Apple to take over the mainstream technology forever when you can have more open and consumer friendly solutions like the current PCs made more mainstream friendly. Bring it on really.

Earendil

I think one main appeal of steambox that some of you are missing is that custom high end desktop PCs are huge and ugly. my fiancee hates having my PC in the living room and I kinda wanna get it out of there too as its a bit of an eyesore. I'd be happy to replace that giant pc with something much smaller

Pretty much this. I only have so much room in my media area (without taking out the fireplace, which I doubt the Mrs will go for) and a small, quiet box would be perfect.

Top Bottom