• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve clarifies "Steambox", Xi3 Piston one of many prototypes/options

Interfectum

I'd like it better if there was just one model, maybe two, instead of this fragmentation of many different types. Reminds me of Android

IMO, long term Valve probably wants two things to be consistent: Your game library and standard controls. The hardware powering those games can be a mini-PC, a desktop PC or whatever else games out as long as it supports Steam games and a standardized controller.

The fact they are diving head first in to full-on Linux support and prototyping a new controller seems to support this. They seem to be trying to straddle the fence between PC and console. We'll see if it works out for them in the next 3-4 years.

Jackl

The fact they are diving head first in to full-on Linux support and prototyping a new controller seems to support this. They seem to be trying to straddle the fence between PC and console. We'll see if it works out for them in the next 3-4 years.

In my opinion Greenlight is a way for them to shop around cheaply for promising 1st party developers. But maybe thats just me.

Pooya

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3851740/steam-box-inches-closer-to-reality-CES-gabe-newell

The company says that any of its partners are welcome to introduce their own hardware and call it whatever they like — including the term "Steam Box" (any — but its meeting with select partners to optimize the hardware.

the verge has took some pics of prototypes;
valvesteambox10_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

valvesteambox5_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

valvesteambox9_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

AzerPhire

IMO, long term Valve probably wants two things to be consistent: Your game library and standard controls. The hardware powering those games can be a mini-PC, a desktop PC or whatever else games out as long as it supports Steam games and a standardized controller.

The fact they are diving head first in to full-on Linux support and prototyping a new controller seems to support this.

Right, but if Valve is going after the console market those consumers don't want to deal with compatibility issues or messing around with graphic settings to get the smoothest experience.

This is why most mobile games are developed for iOS. There is standardization in hardware even with yearly updates. Compare that to Android where there are hundreds of phones out there with differing hardware. Developers have to choose a baseline to develop for and anything under that will either miss out completely or have a worse experience.

Interfectum

Right, but if Valve is going after the console market those consumers don't want to deal with compatibility issues or messing around with graphic settings to get the smoothest experience.

You're right and maybe Valve will hang their hat on a specific SteamBox to rise from the ranks so certain consumers have a "go to" system that will fit most of their needs. I guess we'll have to see what their overall plans are for this thing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Go Valve, Go! We are all rooting for you. Steambox and Big Picture Mode in the living room success is only going to do wonders for the future of PC gaming.

I plan on getting one of the more high-end Steambox options to use at work :p For my normal at-home gaming I'm perfectly content at my desktop.

Maybe they'll have levels which you can choose.

Steam Level 1
Steam Level 2
Steam Level 3

Each will be a guaranteed spec i.e. 720p 30, 720p 60, 1080p 60 and so on.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so to compare this with the mobile phone market...

every other console maker is apple and steam is gonna try the google approach? Tons of hardware all running the software?

lefantome

every other console maker is apple and steam is gonna try the google approach? Tons of hardware all running the software?

and game console are powerful and fairly priced at the moment and probably will be except for Nintendo.

So you can't beat them on these sides.

RiverBed

Banned
I'm thinking Valve is aiming for a streaming small set-up box like the Android solutions and nVidia's Shield as well. I would like to see an Alienware dedicated PC set up box take, personally.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maybe they'll have levels which you can choose.

Steam Level 1
Steam Level 2
Steam Level 3

Each will be a guaranteed spec i.e. 720p 30, 720p 60, 1080p 60 and so on.

This is a sort of what i was thinking too.
Imo there will be a low, a medium and a top tier model steambox and (current)games will have a label that indicates how they run on each model.
Every future steam game will be optimized for at least one of the steambox models.

Mihos

Gold Member

nah, compare it to exactly how it is now. Consoles and PC with Steam. The only difference is they will probably push to have everything controllable through a controller and some preset, preferred graphic settings to keep the need to fiddle with stuff to a minimum.

This just makes no sense to me. You have steam on your PC, you can upgrade you PC whenever you want. Having a secondary, smaller box will do what exactly? I'd understand if it were portable or some sort of netbook type thing but this I just don't get.

I have a family. The ability to put a gaming rig in my entertainment center in my living room is basically null. Give me a steam box that I can put beside my consoles and sit back with a 360 controller for PC and play most of my back catalog of hundreds of games and I'm interested.

Also, I have a family. I can't lock myself in my office on my gaming rig every night anymore. The living room gaming is my ideal gaming environment now.

What I'm getting at is it's something that takes up no more space than a Wii, plays a library I've been building for quite some time, offers me newer-ish games way cheaper than on a different device, and doesn't require my big ass rig in the living room. That's why I'm interested. Interested is the key word though. I'm not on an unlimited budget unfortunately.

Nome

This is a sort of what i was thinking too.
Imo there will be a low, a medium and a top tier model steambox and (current)games will have a label that indicates how they run on each model.
Every future steam game will be optimized for at least one of the steambox models.

I hope to god they don't do this.

PC system requirements are (or should) always been increasing, especially for "high" detail. Keeping a standardized set of requirements, and having those actually be standards means that devs will either focus on optimization as time passes by... or just stop making games look better.

I hope it's the former, but it's more likely to be the latter. I'd hate if the "high" spec of 2013 is still the standard 4 years later.

SparkTR

PC games would have to have a certification process. It's not like developers aren't used to that.

There's already a process for Steam, but they can't make those kinds of promises. You buy a cheap 'Steambox' model/brand, your get worse performing games. You buy an expensive one, you get better performing games. It shouldn't be any more complex than that. There shouldn't be any limitation to options.

I have a family. The ability to put a gaming rig in my entertainment center in my living room is basically null. Give me a steam box that I can put beside my consoles and sit back with a 360 controller for PC and play most of my back catalog of hundreds of games and I'm interested.

Also, I have a family. I can't lock myself in my office on my gaming rig every night anymore. The living room gaming is my ideal gaming environment now.

What I'm getting at is it's something that takes up no more space than a Wii, plays a library I've been building for quite some time, offers me newer-ish games way cheaper than on a different device, and doesn't require my big ass rig in the living room. That's why I'm interested. Interested is the key word though. I'm not on an unlimited budget unfortunately.

Exactly. It's a great idea.

AHA-Lambda

OK from the Verge article it sounds like anyone can make a "SteamBox" and that Valve will basically set a standard that manufacturers will have to adhere to if they want in on this. So this could be alot like Steamworks but for hardware.

I think the article implies Valve are still making their own Linux based hardware aswell. As for the Piston? I'd say Xi3 are opportunists and using the limelight to promote their product but what about the fact Valve have invested in them? Is there something still missing here?

SparkTR

OK from the Verge article it sounds like anyone can make a "SteamBox" and that Valve will basically set a standard that manufacturers will have to adhere to if they want in on this. So this could be alot like Steamworks but for hardware.

I think the article implies Valve are still making their own Linux based hardware aswell. As for the Piston? I'd say Xi3 are opportunists and using the limelight to promote their product but what about the fact Valve have invested in them? Is there something still missing here?

Valve has lots of cash. They're probably investing in a few PC makers to get the ball rolling.

This is what Im wondering as well. Either Xi3 jumped the gun and said something they shouldnt have. Or, they didnt think they were going to get the contract anyways so they decided to pull this move. But it still doesnt explain why Valve would invest money in them. This whole story is turning into a big game of Clue

PG2G

What is this 'SteamBox' doing that the Alienware X51 isn't, outside of being (potentially) more locked down and running a subset of the games? It likely won't even be any cheaper.

Great idea? It is a SFF PC...

Which if you can get for cheaper than one without having to build it yourself makes it a great idea.

Everyone said the same thing about the iPad. It's just a large phone but, you can't make calls. I have a 14 inch laptop...etc, etc. Turns out there was a space there for it.

I can't say for sure if Steambox actually is a good idea because there are basically no concrete implementation details that I have seen. I can see where it will fit in though, or where at least people will think it will fit. It's not some stupid asinine idea that is completely nonsensical.

Zzoram

What is this 'SteamBox' doing that the Alienware X51 isn't, outside of being (potentially) more locked down and running a subset of the games? It likely won't even be any cheaper.

For one, the Xi3 Piston looks way better than the X51

You're right, competition is never a good thing so all we need is one option and one option only forever.

Hopefully the X51 will never get a design change because we already have a perfect example of everything one would want so we're done here. Close up the shop, boys!

PG2G

When it comes down to it, we're talking software. We have a full up Windows box and a SteamBox running a custom Linux that runs BigPicture mode. The hardware doesn't matter and the form factor doesn't matter because neither of those are related to being a SteamBox.

So... what is compelling about the software? I guess we don't know enough about it to see, but I can't imagine it doing anything too special.

SparkTR

It'll be designed to solely play games living room environment, so provided it gets support you won't have to put up with pop-ups and launchers that aren't compatible with gamepads. The actual Steambox will most likely be more cost efficient, and who knows, we might get competing brands to drive the price down.

If you're planning on building your own PC or buying a prebuilt gaming PC from Dell, I don't think Valve cares if you buy an official "Steam Box" as long as you utilize the Steam service. The Steam Boxes just seem to be easy Valve sponsored alternatives for others to access their service.

Think Kindle. Amazon doesn't care what hardware you use as long as you buy your books from them.

Khaz

Doesn't dissuade from the idea that it's a SteamOS and these are 'just' PCs that will happen to come preloaded with it. Rather reinforces that idea perhaps.

Idea? I thought this was a fact.

I was under the impresion that SteamOS would be distributed alongside Steamboxes for anyone to reproduce the experience with their own hardware.

AlexBasch

Yeah, I don't think the main demographic of this Steambox is the 1080p+ @60 locked fps crowd, but those that might want to get into "light pc gaming" AKA better than consoles performance. For example, my Dual Core with 2.70ghz, 4GB of DDR3 and a 1GB DDR3 5670 feels like a somewhat overpowered console already on some games.

A friend wants to get into Steam and games, but she doesn't feel like building a new PC since she mostly uses a laptop and plays console games. Imagine cross gameplay/interaction between PC Steam users and Steambox players. That would be a godsend.

I think part of the interest in it is that people want the PC experience at a console price. People hear about how we get these great deals and they want in. I'm not interested because I want it to replace my desktop. I want one because I'm a techy and I like the new, cool thing. I also love Valve and think they do a great job at understanding their clientele.

angelfly

Valve taking lessons from Google. I guess they're simply doing hardware endorsement and focusing getting the Linux client developed.

Lynn616

I could be wrong, but I believe I see a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the side of that case. (It's used to provide Windows licenses to machines built by OEM builders)

Came to post this. That is a Windows Product Key sticker on that PC for sure.

Top Bottom