• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve confirms Half-Life: Alyx, full reveal coming later this week.

Romulus

This is not an announcement stream, but interesting for fans.

Talking with Alyx voice actor live

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just watching that tyler "too much hype, clickbait" guy interviewing the Alyx va... she have no idea about anything

gifgaf

Could you give me a short recap of the guys story with all this?
I don't know the back story or much of his history, I used to be subbed to his channel but not for a while. I hear he has had a shit ton of hate and pessimism over the Half Life VR thing for at least a year.

This video shows you how much pent up frustration he released after the announcement, I kinda feel for the guy, you know how shitty the internet can be.

eyefork

Neo Member
Anyone know what time the event is? Didn't see the original OP's opener as being updated yet
They said 10 AM Pacific time. I assume their twitter is a good bet for details or a link to the reveal, since that's where they announced that an update was coming.

Regardless of what the game looks like, it does feel pretty unreal that we are finally getting any Half Life content at all. I can't remember the last time Valve produced any new HL media to consume.

pr0cs

VR has always interested me to an extent, but I could never justify the price tag for 1-3 games that I was genuinely wanting to play. I just wanted there to be more games that I found interesting, or I wanted the price tag to be lower. It's not that I can't afford it, I would just be upset at myself buying something that's $200+ dollars that just sits there.
It's come a long way in the last year, there are a lot of great titles now, no longer stuck in short experiences or tech demos.
I don't use my Rift daily but it's one of those things that I jump into when I need a break from what I'm playing on consoles or pc. I basically treat it like another gaming device that I delegate time with my other devices.
I personally can't wait for the day when the screens are good enough where I don't even have to turn on my tv/monitor and all my gaming /media/work is done in VR, it's just not there yet. Oculus "goal" discussion at the oc6 event looks sublime to me

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Oculus support confirmed, yay. I mean, it was obvious, they hold 50% VR market share on Steam, followed by Vive's 35%, with Index currently at 5% (I'm sure it will jump soon, lol), but nice to have it confirmed.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
They said 10 AM Pacific time. I assume their twitter is a good bet for details or a link to the reveal, since that's where they announced that an update was coming.
Regardless of what the game looks like, it does feel pretty unreal that we are finally getting any Half Life content at all. I can't remember the last time Valve produced any new HL media to consume.

Oh man, it's going to be amazing i just know it. And if it's coop as well (not sure), it'll be a game changer far and wide. Coop, physics VR would be mind boggling and most difficult to do but i think if anyone can do it, Valve has the talent.

Solarstrike

Gold Member

Oculus support confirmed, yay. I mean, it was obvious, they hold 50% VR market share on Steam, followed by Vive's 35%, with Index currently at 5% (I'm sure it will jump soon, lol), but nice to have it confirmed.

There's a timer there. Nice. Wonder if there's a way to copy/paste that here; OP's opening post?

gifgaf

Tyler has said that he expects it to be given free to Index owners, I guess that 5% will increase.

Last edited:

Romulus

It could be coop with a non VR player somehow. Like the "gravity gloves" are reserved for Alyx and the non VR player Barney lol with no special abilities.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am an idiot... I know I've had dk1, dk2, cv1, S and I sold all in 1-2 months... but maybe it's time to rebuy S depending on what we see. I am not getting index though. It's 2.5x more expensive and has comparable screen and more analogue hands only

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am an idiot... I know I've had dk1, dk2, cv1, S and I sold all in 1-2 months... but maybe it's time to rebuy S depending on what we see. I am not getting index though. It's 2.5x more expensive and has comparable screen and more analogue hands only
index is joke price

Romulus

Maybe it'll show up on their official YT page?

Grinchy

Banned
I want it on PSVR for my own selfish reasons, but I also kinda hope it's PC-only. The days of seeing things technically possible on only a high-end PC are sorely missed.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME I CAME

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This would look so good at 4k... we will have to play this in pixelated close up with glare and sweat... ehhhh shame

Tesseract

Banned
source.gif

Romulus

This isn't just some "buy our index headset to play it" game either. Lots of options.

Free moving like a regular FPS

Full-length AAA campaign

And being an avid VR gamer, I can already see those gravity gloves are gonna feel fucking awesome

Wonko_C

The part where she quickly scrapes the uh.. furniture? (my English... it's failing! Just look at 0:57 & see for yourselves.) looking for some shells, and everything responds physically accuratedly (what is grammar? Can I eat it?). To know we'll be able to do whatever we can instinctively and organically... O.M.G.

Last edited:
Whoooooaaaa!!!!! I instinctively went straight to check PC prices after seeing the trailer. I hope, that they reveal recommended specs soon!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I have to say that to me it looks exactly as I expected it to. By that I mean there's nothing super surprising about the mechanics shown or anything else. It's very much like Half-Life 2 with improved graphics and all the great VR mechanics already seen in other games. I'm sure it will be a revelation for VR newcomers when they experience it but for me it's a little less than that, an amazing game that I knew bigger developers could make when they came in to VR after all the smaller developers and indies and smaller productions have shown us already that the medium can do. I can't wait!

Edit: super important!
A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.
Sweet, maybe a new mod community renaissance is upon us like back in the hl1 and source days.

Last edited:
Top Bottom