• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: Introducing refurbished steam decks, available now/also at select Gamestops

Oof the GameStop refurbished part sucks. I trust Valve way more then I would GameStop for obvious reasons. I doubt you even get a actually refurbished unit and it's probably just returned.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
only up to 20% cheaper for used/faulty deck.
First, it'll probably only be an issue if you're getting them from gamestop. Valve's official page says that they've really tested the devices and systems to make sure they're functional and work well, i'm sure that Gamestop does not have that sort of QA so they'll have more faulty units.

Second, if the device did ship with an issue it's definitely easier to repair than most since the Deck was designed with repairabilty in mind. a broken thumbstick here or there isn't that much of a cost. Not to mention that warranty on refurb is same as brand new, so any issue will make it easier to be sent in.

finally, 20% off on the 64gb version puts it pretty much at 20 dollars more than a normal Switch (& 30 dollars less than an OLED). That's incredibly good value for what you get.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Oof the GameStop refurbished part sucks. I trust Valve way more then I would GameStop for obvious reasons. I doubt you even get a actually refurbished unit and it's probably just returned.
You can buy directly from Valve too.

Fbh

Not interested in a Deck, but if I was then one of the Valve refurbished ones sounds like a decent deal. I trust they'll do a good job with it (it's in the interest anyway) and the 1 year warranty is nice.

Wouldn't touch one from Gamestop though.

AREYOUOKAY?

i guess they have a lot of returns to flog
Potential new model incoming? We've heard rumors of this thing already being outdated and they already had plans for a Deck 2. Not the mention all the "competitors" that keep popping up.

Of course this is just what I personally what I would want going on.

Last edited:

AREYOUOKAY?

lolwut?

Deckard comes out first.
I didn't even know what that was until you mentioned it. All I basically said was they had confirmed plans for a Deck 2 in the future and that I would like it to come out soon even if it most likely won't release anytime soon.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yep, the 64GB is the real deal here and it's super easy to swap the drives and either reload from scratch or clone the original SSD.
swapping the 64gb internal SSD with a 1tb at the refurb price point basically puts you at the original price, but with a much larger drive than any model Valve will sell you lol

Personally, i'd do that and then (if it ever comes out) replace the screen with the new "DeckHD" screen that massively improves resolution and (more importantly) colors and brightness. I don't know if it's OLED or not, but it's 100 bucks. Though honestly it'd be a better sell if it were actually OLED.

320 deck + 1tb ssd (100) and a better screen (100) and you'd basically be getting the best version of the system for around the price of the 256gb model

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
gaht dayumm
hsvlWxR.png

HTwnGxr.png

Black Friday Shopping GIF by NBC

Sorcerer

Potential new model incoming? We've heard rumors of this thing already being outdated and they already had plans for a Deck 2. Not the mention all the "competitors" that keep popping up.

Of course this is just what I personally what I would want going on.
New model won't be coming for a couple of years at least. Every model sold brings Valve more game sales. There in no rush. Every time a competitor makes a handheld that is just more money for Valve in the end. I'm sure Valve is laughing all the way to the bank with all these deck clones. It was part of the plan all along. They make money without losing money on hardware. There is no competition for Valve with this handheld business. 90 percent of the games are being sold through Steam most likely. Not Asus, not Lenovo.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
& now they're back to being out of stock. jesus lol

Who knew a 80 dollar price drop was all that was needed for interest to spike?

Last edited:

acm2000

512gb.

$399 CAD for the 64gb and then adding a 1tb ssd for around $100 or under is the move imo.
It's really isn't, 64gb storage is piss poor slow as will the SD card be, 256gb is the bare minimum spec version unless you're just gonna be playing emulators/cloud etc

Sorcerer

Re read my post.

I bought a 64gb and replaced the emmc memory for a 1tb ssd on day 1.
The same and replaced it with a 2tb ssd. There is no compelling reason for the 256 or the 512. You can just get a screen protector if you want a matte finish for the screen, and you have the option of taking it off if you hate it. You don't have that option on the 512.
Valve would be wise to offer a barebones model in the future (standard nvme slot that can be accessed by opening a hatch on the backplate). Include a thumb drive with the os install for those who don't want to get it from the website.
Also include a slot for an nvme ssd in the dock like JSaux, just make it so that you don't have to tell the system to point to the drive in the dock every bootup or retrieve some script through desktop mode to make it work.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

swapping the 64gb internal SSD with a 1tb at the refurb price point basically puts you at the original price, but with a much larger drive than any model Valve will sell you lol

Personally, i'd do that and then (if it ever comes out) replace the screen with the new "DeckHD" screen that massively improves resolution and (more importantly) colors and brightness. I don't know if it's OLED or not, but it's 100 bucks. Though honestly it'd be a better sell if it were actually OLED.

320 deck + 1tb ssd (100) and a better screen (100) and you'd basically be getting the best version of the system for around the price of the 256gb model

Goddamit I didn't need to know this existed now I've joined the waitlist.

Crayon

The 1 year warranty from valve makes this a no brainer.

Was just going to say that.

There is no hard standard for what refurnbished means, but most refurb items I've bought have come in mint condition right down to the peel-offs on screens. Often they come without retail packaging but that's about it. If you get the standard warranty and return policy with it, I'd assume it's good as new. Or better considering it probabaly got a qc check by hand. That's what you would call an individual certification vs a batch cert in some businesses.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

The ones from Valve carry the same warranty as new ones, gamestop warranty may vary.

64GB $319
256GB $419
512GB $519

Valve store purchase link:
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeckrefurbished

I worked at SCEA tech support in the late 2000s and if you bought a refurbished PlayStation, unless it was a refurb unit you got from the PlayStation factory, it would be out of warranty and you were shit out of luck.

I had so many pissed off people who bought PlayStation 3 refurbished units from GameStop only for me to tell them that we couldn't service it and it was pretty much out of warranty.

Kdad

They have sold a few million of these things... they are going to have 10's of thousands of returns if they have a normal failure rate, potentially 100's of thousands.
To add to this (old info) consumer reports in 2006 reported the following consumer electronic failure rates
ce3-1.jpg

I've read elsewhere (Squaretrade data) that you're looking at 15 percent or so for 2 year failure rates.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To add to this (old info) consumer reports in 2006 reported the following consumer electronic failure rates
ce3-1.jpg

I've read elsewhere (Squaretrade data) that you're looking at 15 percent or so for 2 year failure rates.
This data is old enough to legally buy weed where I live. I don't think it's even remotely relevant here, since the manufacturing and QA process is wildly different from how it used to be back then. Can you even buy a 25-inch TV anymore? Or a camcorder?

Anecdotal, but the electronics I've bought in the last few years (since the "chip shortage") have been far superior in build quality to the things I used to buy back in 2006. Hell, my Steam Deck is 18 months old now and still works just as well as the day I unboxed it. Well, objectively better since I installed Windows on it. I had one scare where I thought the speakers had busted, but an OS re-install fixed the issue - so it was software, not hardware, related.

I've Valve's failure rate on Steam Decks was higher than 10%, I'd be shocked.

Kdad

This data is old enough to legally buy weed where I live. I don't think it's even remotely relevant here, since the manufacturing and QA process is wildly different from how it used to be back then. Can you even buy a 25-inch TV anymore? Or a camcorder?

Anecdotal, but the electronics I've bought in the last few years (since the "chip shortage") have been far superior in build quality to the things I used to buy back in 2006. Hell, my Steam Deck is 18 months old now and still works just as well as the day I unboxed it. Well, objectively better since I installed Windows on it. I had one scare where I thought the speakers had busted, but an OS re-install fixed the issue - so it was software, not hardware, related.

I've Valve's failure rate on Steam Decks was higher than 10%, I'd be shocked.
In 2006 PS3 and Wii failure rates were estimated at 3%...good and bad manufacturing existed then...and it exists now...the pursuit of $$ will dictate and I'm not thinking the metrics on what companies find acceptable failure rates would have changed much..

The avg of 15 percent, i use that number to project what the upside availability of refurb Steamdecks may be, based on 3 million approx sold. Its a discussion point, not a statement of fact.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
In 2006 PS3 and Wii failure rates were estimated at 3%...good and bad manufacturing existed then...and it exists now...the pursuit of $$ will dictate and I'm not thinking the metrics on what companies find acceptable failure rates would have changed much..

The avg of 15 percent, i use that number to project what the upside availability of refurb Steamdecks may be, based on 3 million approx sold. Its a discussion point, not a statement of fact.
Fair enough. I know some of the hardware designers that worked on the Deck, and I know that a lot of care and attention was made in selecting component layouts and designs that would minimize hardware failures. I know that the first several batches of product (first 10,000 units or thereabouts) physically went through Valve's headquarters and were further QA'd by the hardware team - with bad units sent back to the manufacturer with notes about what not to do or where the common failures were. It's one of the reasons that the product launch was an extremely slow rollout - and it wasn't until they had enough units manufactured to the right specification that they started selling them without queues and pre-ordered batches.

The fact that it's two years later, and we're just now seeing refurbs available (as opposed to something like the Asus ROG Ally, which had refurbs and open box units available aplenty within days) speaks to this also. Even still, it seems that the cheapest model refurb sold out within hours on their own website which also says they didn't have that many of them.

I obviously don't have the hard numbers, but if I had to guess based on what I knew about how these are made, I'd estimate closer to 5% than 15%.

Puscifer

Got my 64GB today can anyone confirm if the back paddles are supposed to be THAT stiff? Like I was expecting a click but there's just movement and it's definitely responsive. Worse case scenario I was going to buy a transparent back panel, that might clear my issue up. But it's just so jarring the difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom