• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's "PC gaming is expanding" page/hub is live

Unai

What I liked the most is seeing how many games are coming to SteamOS/Linux. I might finally be able do ditch windows if/when Bethesda comes to linux.

eot

Banned
Steam doing what ms should be doing.

Rip window gaming. This is the first nail in the coffin.

When can we preorder the link? That going to sell out quick imo.

Yeah. I'm sure those overpriced pre-assembled linux machines that run a tenth of your Steam library will take over the world any day now. Just wait for it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Very excited that Valve's initiatives are finally coming to fruition. Really makes me feel good about PC gaming. This GDC has just been great, in fact. Microsoft owning up to their past failures, Windows 10 and DX12 looking awesome, Unreal Engine 4 going free-to-use and pre-alpha Unreal Tournament getting released, SteamOS getting some big games, VR coming for real, affordable and easily configurable Steam Machines, etc. etc. The future looks bright!

Bl@de

What I liked the most is seeing how many games are coming to SteamOS/Linux. I might finally be able do ditch windows if/when Bethesda comes to linux.

If they get Bethesda it's over. Looking at skyrim sales and mod community ... This would be a megaton. Hard to imagine right now, but who knows. I didn't expect WB Games on linux with their games a week ago and yet here we are ...

Compsiox

Banned
If they get Bethesda it's over. Looking at skyrim sales and mod community ... This would be a megaton. Hard to imagine right now, but who knows. I didn't expect WB Games on linux with their games a week ago and yet here we are ...

Not really hard to imagine. Valve is a huge company name these days.

oh lol, just saw Evolve in that list too. Though not surprising, 2K has been on board.

WB did announce Gauntlet last year (though that got delayed), then we had Dying Light, Mad Max, now AK.

When the fuck are we going to get a lengthy video showcasing the controller and its advantages? Are journalists fumbling for the first time with the controller for 10 minutes Valve's best foot forward?
It is like the exact opposite of the Wii U's problem.
They showed the controller for 90% of the time and then showed the console 10% of the time.

Denton

Man, when I see it all laid down like this, it all makes sense and makes me feel all tingly.
I want that controller now, it looks so damn great. Mass Effect trilogy on TV, Wasteland 2, Divinity OS and more...they do not even have to bother with traditional controller support and these will all be playable.

Tenebrous

I'm scared I'll miss out when the preorders go live... I can see Valve doing a Nintendo and severely understocking the link & controller.

Sendou

Made this yesterday. Maybe someone will find it useful. It's a sheet that contains the top 50 most popular Steam games ordered by current players (snapshot taken yesterday). I looked up which already supported Linux or had a port announced. In addition I noted which games have full controller support (going by the information available on store pages). That might give some indication about how useful Steam Controller will be.

I think Linux support is starting to be pretty decent. It's lacking some of the biggest AAA publishers but it doesn't seem to me that they make the most popular games on the platform.

Bl@de

Made this yesterday. Maybe someone will find it useful. It's a sheet that contains the top 50 most popular Steam games ordered by current players (snapshot taken yesterday). I looked up which already supported Linux or had a port announced. In addition I noted which games have full controller support (going by the information available on store pages). That might give some indication about how useful Steam Controller will be.

I think Linux support is starting to be pretty decent. It's lacking some of the biggest AAA publishers but it doesn't seem to me that they make the most popular games on the platform.

Great list. It shows that Valve knows what they are doing. And most new indies will have linux support anyway these days.

DayZ is coming to Linux? Source? And when?

wit3tyg3r

will steam link work with not steam games?

I don't think so. It uses Steam's remote streaming feature, so I can imagine it goes through Steam's DRM.

EDIT:

As long as you add those games to your library as non-Steam games yes. This includes emulators and VLC player and whatever

Oh really?... Hmm... that's interesting. That's pretty awesome if that's true!

will steam link work with not steam games?

Most probably yes, I can play the Gamecube Dolphin emulator using Steam Streaming today.

But who knows for sure how this thing is built.

Im really hoping its Android based, there would be so much we could do with that, but who knows.

Sendou

Great list. It shows that Valve knows what they are doing. And most new indies will have linux support anyway these days.

DayZ is coming to Linux? Source? And when?

I used this thread as source. Then again looking at it the second time it doesn't seem like a 100% confirmation. Especially considering how Dean Hall left the game. That said I think Valve is trying to court these kind of games. That is games that constantly have a high number of players.

DayZ on Linux? What? When?!

Edit: oh.

cyress8

Banned
I think there is a problem with my router specifically, but every 3-4 minutes it locks up for 2-3 seconds over 5GHz AC, rendering computer connected to gigabit ethernet (there isn't much radio interference here).

When it's working, it works amazing though, and is barely discernible from local play so long as you're not right up close to your TV. 2.4GHz streaming introduces too much input lag to consider as an option.
I had that lock up problem also. I was able to fix it by disabling windows searching for new wifi points. Annoyed the hell out of me when I was stuck in bed.

Sendou

DayZ on Linux? What? When?!

Edit: oh.

I'm guessing the (developer-sanctioned) moderator got their info from the first 10 minutes of this video. I guess you can draw your own conclusions.

That said I edited it into a "NO" for now. I'm pretty impressed how these half-promises have materialized as Linux ports though.

Darkroronoa

Steam link will be amazing if you can use it to stream your movies and more via steam. I dont have a living room device so this will be perfect for me.
I will pair it with a steam controller if it is good enough for 2D games, i dont like the absence of a traditional d-pad. Is that d-pad thingy gonna work like a traditional dpad?

Also, these steam machine prices are really high, i guess in the future prices will drop.

I occasionally plug my desktop into my TV and play some games that way. This will essentially be no different. Right?

I might invest in a controller though.

Where do you see Evolve? Maybe I'm just blind.

/games

scroll down till Dying Light pic

We’ve been working with the makers of the best-selling games you know and love to bring their Steam titles to your living room. Big names like Dying Light, Evolve, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Total War: ATTILA and many more are headed to SteamOS and Steam Machines this year.

Bl@de

That said I edited it into a "NO" for now. I'm pretty impressed how these half-promises have materialized as Linux ports though.

Well DayZ/Arma would be a big one. Has a big (mod) community but let's not forget the military use of the engine.
I don't know the details of VBS3 but it's tied to the development of ArmA engines and also runs on Windows. Don't know if the military would prefer Linux or not in the long term. But I don't see Bohemia Simulations/Software jumping on linux right away. Maybe the DayZ team could be a testbed. They plan to improve/change the engine in Q2/15, if we are lucky they also look at linux.

Compsiox

Banned
Days before GDC I made a thread asking how Valve's announcements would affect Oculus.

People said it wouldn't.

Now Oculus has to go back to the drawing board for some of their features because Valve destroyed everything of theirs (Tracking, rendering, lenses, ect.)

Gumbie

Days before GDC I made a thread asking how Valve's announcements would affect Oculus.

People said it wouldn't.

Now Oculus has to go back to the drawing board for some of their features because Valve destroyed everything of theirs (Tracking, rendering, lenses, ect.)

Oculus has been quiet lately and they have a shit load of facebook money. We really don't know what kind stuff they've got behind the scenes.

Compsiox

Banned
Oculus has been quiet lately and they have a shit load of facebook money. We really don't know what kind stuff they've got behind the scenes.

They did shit on Oculus's plans though. They can't use a camera anymore cause it couldn't match what the lighthouse does (without multiple). The lenses they use and their rendering are obsolete because it takes too much to power what they're doing.

If you haven't looked thoroughly at what Valve's presentations included you can't really reply to this without sounding stupid.

trinest

I'm disappointed at Steam Link I thought it would be a Steam Server.

Now that's a product I can get behind.

Top Bottom