• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's "PC gaming is expanding" page/hub is live

just went live

http://store.steampowered.com/universe/

some excerpts

This November, we're bringing everything that makes the PC great—the best games, the biggest communities, and the most exciting technologies—to new destinations.

Steam Controller

Steam Link

Steam Machines

SteamVR

Steam is always evolving and so will your living room with upcoming content like your favorite movies, TV shows and music.

With content from people like you

Hundreds of thousands of users have produced millions of pieces of new content for the games you're interested in—new units for Sid Meier's Civilization V, new gameplay experiences for Don't Starve, and game levels like Agency, for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

For the first time, all of this content, made by players like you, is available in the living room.

Simplicity

Setup is easy. Just connect your Steam Link to your TV and home network. It will automatically discover any computer running Steam on the same network.

All that’s left to do is grab your Steam Controller, kick back and enjoy your gaming rig from the comfort of your couch.

Dual-stage triggers
With a satisfying digital click at the end of the trigger pull, dual-stage triggers can be used as analog, digital, or both types of input at the same time. Put your iron-sights on the sweep-in, and then fire with the reliable feel of a tactile switch, all on the same trigger.

OpenVR

Our SteamVR APIs are free to use and come with everything you love about Steam, but they can also be leveraged without it. We call this alternate version of our APIs OpenVR. OpenVR includes all the same great capabilities, minus Steam.

Nabs

How is Steam IH Streaming over a wireless AC connection? I'll probably snatch up a Link if it's good enough.

USC-fan

Banned
Steam doing what ms should be doing.

Rip window gaming. This is the first nail in the coffin.

When can we preorder the link? That going to sell out quick imo.

Bazza

I know I'm going end up with several VR headsets the next few years. While I'm not to keen on the controller not having dual analogue sticks I know I will pick one up.

TimFL

How is Steam IH Streaming over a wireless AC connection? I'll probably snatch up a Link if it's good enough.

I tried it out in the early closed beta days and it was pretty damn good. Haven't used it since then though so I assume it's pretty smooth. Noticed zero input lag when I tried it the last time though. You could always try it yourself first?

Some say it works well for them, some say not so much. It depends.

Will the Steam Link be able to do full desktop streaming/mirroring, or only steam games?

I think if you Alt-Tab, you can stream your desktop. You can also stream non-Steam games by adding them to the library, and this also works for emulators and other non-games.

Nzyme32

Well, except for pretty much all of this stuff working across all PC platforms anyway

I tried it out in the early closed beta days and it was pretty damn good. Haven't used it since then though so I assume it's pretty smooth. Noticed zero input lag when I tried it the last time though.

Yeah, 802.11ac is a beast of a format. It's basically indistinguishable from a wired connection.

GWX

The Steam Controller page mentions GameCube-like triggers with secondary clicks. My interest for this went to the roof!

edit: damn, the controller only releases in November. Oh well!

So all we're missing is source 2 engine demo from valve yes?

Yes. Technically they today showed Dota 2 footage at the Vulkan panel, but that's not a proper reveal and this includes the Aperture demo. A proper E3 2003 esque reveal and demonstration is what we need :p Including tools and workflow.

I have wishlisted the controller that is about the only thing that interests me. I wonder if you will be able to buy this shit outside of the US ? So far all pricing is US even on the UK store.

Ploid 3.0

So with all this expanding they're doing will they be expanding their customer service?

I wouldn't even mind robot AI CS if possible. Just as long as they could take care of my problems when I ask.

Saty

Cross-posting:
Valve is the worst entertainment company ever in pushing out information. You would think when the Stem Controller is placed at the store, price tag+release date and all, that they would post a clear and professional video of the controller in action. YOU WOULD THINK. But nope. Am i supposed to watch shaky cam video from journalists who filmed themselves playing and can't show the gameplay and the controller in the same shot? Am i supposed to watch people who are trying the final design for the first time for 15mins? On what basis should i get excited about it? Where are the demonstrations that are going to win me over? Anything at all?

Remember that one single video they showed of playing different games on the controller and how they were supposed to be more? Remember they teased a solution for fighting games?

When the fuck are we going to get a lengthy video showcasing the controller and its advantages? Are journalists fumbling for the first time with the controller for 10 minutes Valve's best foot forward?

USC-fan

Banned
Since the link can only ouput 1080p/60fps, what are the chances you will be able to down sample?

Cross-posting:

When the fuck are we going to get a lengthy video showcasing the controller and its advantages? Are journalists fumbling for the first time with the controller for 10 minutes Valve's best foot forward?
Have to agree. Really like to know if it will support x360 controller also.

Zia

Steam is always evolving and so will your living room with upcoming content like your favorite movies, TV shows and music.

I'd really like them to talk about this in more detail.

HariKari

Yes. Technically they today showed Dota 2 footage at the Vulkan panel, but that's not a proper reveal and this includes the Aperture demo. A proper E3 2003 esque reveal and demonstration is what we need :p Including tools and workflow.

Yes, all we're missing is the entire sales pitch for Source 2. No big deal. The 03 E3 demo was magical, I could use another dose.

I'd really like them to talk about this in more detail.

They probably will... closer to November. Have to finalize partnerships and whatnot.

Steam Link is the only thing that's really interesting to me. I already have a PC, so I don't need an expensive smaller PC. I've been saying since their announcement that Steam Machines needed a cheap, $100~ streaming box aimed at people who already have high-end rigs but don't want to lug them to another room.

At $50, it seems like a pretty damn good deal. Hopefully it supports more than the Steam Controller, as I'd rather hook up a Wii U Pro, 360 pad, or even PS4 pad given the right drivers.

TrackZ

How does IH streaming work with regards to what happens on the running pc? Is the game displayed there when'd you're playing? Or does it run in the background?

Could my wife use the pc with the mouse and keyboard input going to IE or office while my game pad input goes to the game?

Ploid 3.0

Yes, all we're missing is the entire sales pitch for Source 2. No big deal. The 03 E3 demo was magical, I could use another dose.

They probably will... closer to November. Have to finalize partnerships and whatnot.

He could be sarcastic in context with how Xbox One was revealed. Movies TV TV Movies.

The controller is wireless proprietary format(aka usb dongle) or Bluetooth?

Don't take my word for it, but I seem to recall last year someone said the former, and that it's going to be buil-in for the Steam Machines? Again, my recall wrong.

Really like to know if it will support x360 controller also.

Linux support a dozen controllers including X360, XB1, DS3, DS4 etc

How does IH streaming work with regards to what happens on the running pc? Is the game displayed there when'd you're playing? Or does it run in the background?

Could my wife use the pc with the mouse and keyboard input going to IE or office while my game pad input goes to the game?

The host gets locked down to that game your streaming.

pswii60

But Steam runs on Windows. At least the only relevant version of Steam anyway.

USC-fan

Banned
But Steam runs on Windows. At least the only relevant version of Steam anyway.

These machines run steamos. Not windows.

Today of course windows version is the main one but i think everyone would love to not have buy windows when setting up a gaming PC. Windows is not some lite weight program.

really i just need chrome & my games working and im gtg!

Linux support a dozen controllers including X360, XB1, DS3, DS4 etc
Sorry, i was talking about LINK not the steamos. Or are you saying link will support these also? Amazing news if true!

Nzyme32

The controller is wireless proprietary format(aka usb dongle) or Bluetooth?

The prototype used a "custom Bluetooth stack" for reduced latency and stuff. You were meant to get a dongle with it if you bought the controller separately - but you can also just use traditional bluetooth with it, you just don't get the same reduced latency etc

That was the prototype though, no idea about this final version

It feels like it only got announced due to the session they had. Would have been uncomfortable to being elusive about it. "Hey that Portal footage looks great. Is that Source 2?" - "umm maybe, maybe not. More on that."; "So here's a demo of Dota 2 running on Vulkan compatible ...ummm"

Sorry, i was talking about LINK not the steamos. Or our you saying link will support these also? Amazing news if true!

If it's running SteamOS, which it probably is, then sure. Gotta wait more on that. But I don't think Valve would limit its use that way. At the least it's got to support the X360.

Nzyme32

Is SteamLink, kind of like remote play from your PC?

Pretty much. Steam in-home streaming is great but needs another computer. Steam Link is basically for the folks that just want that same streaming functionality without needing a whole new lounge PC. Don't know about VitaTV but this is 1080p 60fps and 802.11ac wifi / ethernet

I think there is a problem with my router specifically, but every 3-4 minutes it locks up for 2-3 seconds over 5GHz AC, rendering computer connected to gigabit ethernet (there isn't much radio interference here).

When it's working, it works amazing though, and is barely discernible from local play so long as you're not right up close to your TV. 2.4GHz streaming introduces too much input lag to consider as an option.

jediyoshi

Our SteamVR APIs are free to use and come with everything you love about Steam, but they can also be leveraged without it. We call this alternate version of our APIs OpenVR. OpenVR includes all the same great capabilities, minus Steam.

So much for their VR API only being able to be used on things released on Steam

Sydle

Ready to order a Steam Link. Not sure about that controller, so I hope it still allows other controllers.

GobFather

Pretty much. Steam in-home streaming is great but needs another computer. Steam Link is basically for the folks that just want that same streaming functionality without needing a whole new lounge PC. Don't know about VitaTV but this is 1080p 60fps and 802.11ac wifi / ethernet

oh wow, this is awesome. This changes everything..... hmmmmmm... definitely buying this. lol :D thanks.

Yes it uses Steam's in home streaming function.
thank you!

Nabs

I think there is a problem with my router specifically, but every 3-4 minutes it locks up for 2-3 seconds over 5GHz AC, rendering computer connected to gigabit ethernet (there isn't much radio interference here).

When it's working, it works amazing though, and is barely discernible from local play so long as you're not right up close to your TV. 2.4GHz streaming introduces too much input lag to consider as an option.

Thanks for all the impressions. I'm excited.

Top Bottom