• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's "PC gaming is expanding" page/hub is live

Moonkeis

Steam Link...sold. I've been looking for a good solution to utilize my PC upstairs since I don't have time these days to just sit in the office because of my 2 little ones.

USC-fan

Banned
They did shit on Oculus's plans though. They can't use a camera anymore cause it couldn't match what the lighthouse does (without multiple). The lenses they use and their rendering are obsolete because it takes too much to power what they're doing.

If you haven't looked thoroughly at what Valve's presentations included you can't really reply to this without sounding stupid.
Link?

trinest

Elaborate? What would the server do, in your mind.

A harddisk like device I hook up to the main area of my network and then on any PC in my house be able to use Steam Stream to aquire what is on that, heck they can even open Steam up to if your in a network and there is a stream server you can access it regardless of account or number of users, which could make lan parties epic.

I've been largely ignoring the VR train thus far, but this solution, on paper, sounds like a revolutionary experience. Must contain optimism.

Yaari

I find all the VR a little overwhelming. I know I'll probably get a Morpheus but not sure about the Steam thing and the Oculus Rift.

Oh well I really think this will get me back to pc gaming again. I might want to build a steam machine to put in the living room.

Yeah I think I should start putting some money aside starting today.

pastrami

Does Steam in-home streaming work with every game? Even non-Steam games? The Steam Link is pretty tempting. Do we have details on how Steam Link works?

Compsiox

Banned
You made some strong statements. I asked if you had any links. No need to be a bitch about it.

I sent you one. Geeeez. Can you really blame me for being upset at being accused of lying about information that was released only last night?

Compsiox

Banned
Glad I'm not the only one that seems to have upset the guy when stating opinions or asking questions

He did neither. He just wanted a link but I took it as being told im lying even though we just found out all the info last night. I'm also feeling salty right now.

Crisco

Banned
I'll be honest, Android TV boxes may have beaten them to the punch with more mature software. The major benefit of a SteamOS box is the ability to use custom hardware, and I'm not sure I care about that anymore. The controller and VR will have to be really compelling for me to consider one.

I'll be honest, Android TV boxes may have beaten them to the punch with more mature software. The major benefit of a SteamOS box is the ability to use custom hardware, and I'm not sure I care about that anymore. The controller and VR will have to be really compelling for me to consider one.

Games wise? Hell nah

A harddisk like device I hook up to the main area of my network and then on any PC in my house be able to use Steam Stream to aquire what is on that, heck they can even open Steam up to if your in a network and there is a stream server you can access it or number of users, which could make lan parties epic.
So.. a server that you access to run limitless copies of a game? Is the server rendering all that... or is each PC... If it's just to access a library, I guess... but then you have a bunch of people playing a game owned by only one account. I don't see that being something they're interested in.

Nzyme32

Asking for a source kind of infers that they don't believe what you are saying. If this wasn't the case he would have stated that he wanted a source for further information.

Just putting it out there - but I'm pretty lazy with my typing. I'd type "Source?" and I wouldn't mean any offence by it or insinuate anything. It would probably be just because I wanted to read it

Compsiox

Banned
Just putting it out there - but I'm pretty lazy with my typing. I'd type "Source?" and I wouldn't mean any offence by it or insinuate anything. It would probably be just because I wanted to read it

It's just like any type of messaging. Anything you say can be interpreted differently by anyone.

If I were to say "I hate you"

You may think I actually hate you.

In reality im jokingly saying it because something that you said was weird.

Nzyme32

It's just like any type of messaging. Anything you say can be interpreted differently by anyone.

If I were to say "I hate you"

You may think I actually hate you.

In reality im jokingly saying it because something that you said was weird.

Yeah I'm just putting it out there for the next time I speak, I use that one a lot :p

Crisco

Banned
Games wise? Hell nah

Ok, so it's actually even better than I thought. I just installed this app called LimeLight on my LG G3. It finds Steam on desktop, fires up Steam Big PIcture on my phone, I pick Dragon Age, it fires up Origin and then starts streaming Dragon Age to my phone. Worked flawlessly except of course there was no way to really control the game. If I had a Chromecast and Bluetooth controller, I'd be playing DA:I on my TV through my smartphone. That's with zero configuration and a totally free app. Pretty impressive IMO.

Roshin

Asking for a source kind of infers that they don't believe what you are saying. If this wasn't the case he would have stated that he wanted a source for further information.

What?

I assumed the "Can you really blame me for being upset at being accused of lying about information that was released only last night?" bit that you edited into your post was not directed at me, since I did not say or even hint that you were lying.

Asking for a source obviously means that I would like to see a source. If I thought you were making stuff up, I would have told you. Why you would assume anything else is beyond me.

Edit: Here's the source Compsiox provided.

http://www.roadtovr.com/valve-talks-...-blog-5pm-pst/

Not necessarily. You can't see "Link?" being shorthand for "Give me the source, I'm interested in reading more about this". Not sure why you're so defensive over it when you have no concrete proof of his intended message, which was clearly just a probe for more info. And perhaps others that might have missed it would have benefited from you posting, rather than be subjected to thread digging. I'm one of those people.

Ok, so it's actually even better than I thought. I just installed this app called LimeLight on my LG G3. It finds Steam on desktop, fires up Steam Big PIcture on my phone, I pick Dragon Age, it fires up Origin and then starts streaming Dragon Age to my phone. Worked flawlessly except of course there was no way to really control the game. If I had a Chromecast and Bluetooth controller, I'd be playing DA:I on my TV through my smartphone. That's with zero configuration and a totally free app. Pretty impressive IMO.

Oh, didn't know you were just talking about game streaming.

Seagoon

I'm keen on a controller and Steam link - depending on price and availability to New Zealand of course.

I quite like the idea of having a small box coupled with an input device that can be moved easily between rooms.

Compsiox

Banned
What?

I assumed the "Can you really blame me for being upset at being accused of lying about information that was released only last night?" bit that you edited into your post was not directed at me, since I did not say or even hint that you were lying.

Asking for a source obviously means that I would like to see a source. If I thought you were making stuff up, I would have told you. Why you would assume anything else is beyond me.

Edit: Here's the source Compsiox provided.

http://www.roadtovr.com/valve-talks-...-blog-5pm-pst/

jesus man
It works for me.
http://www.roadtovr.com/valve-talks-advanced-vr-rendering-live-blog-5pm-pst/

Bizzquik

Currently Stereo is only supported with Steam's In-Home Streaming.

Steam Link needs to get to 5.1 surround sound before release.

Nzyme32

Yeah it's the one annoying gripe I have with it. We have a great sound system, and part of wanting to be in the lounge is to take advantage of that in the games that support it. But I guess it isn't feasible right now or something? Do any other streaming solutions on PC or other platforms support 1080p 60fps and 5.1 audio?

LilJoka

Its not the problem.

At beta stage it would stream the same number of channels as the source PC was configured.
The problem was that streaming 5.1 to a 2.0 machine would mess up the audio, so its just a problem of detecting the audio compatibility and then applying the downmix. Temporary fix (i hope) that was implemented was to downmix all to 2.0 for now.

Some suggestions involve a virtual audio device which you could tell steam to stream the audio to and that can be configured on the host PC independent of the PC audio output. Problem then becomes streaming to multiple Steam Link devices with different speaker setups. Client side is obviously the best way, some sort of setting that would tell the host what number of channels to stream in would work.

Im not sure if LimeLight Pi supports 5.1 streaming, ill check at some point. I found latency consistent across limelight pi over many games, whereas Steam Streaming the latency seemed to vary.

Nzyme32

Steam Link can stream all you PC stuff:

Also, some Steam Controller info:

• Takes about 2 hours to get used to it
  • The best controller configurations were found to be the ones where you don't take your thumbs away from the trackpads - implying abxy mapped to the pads as well as the analogue stick on the other pad
  • Suggestion that the button diamond and analogue stick are just to help you transition over to the pads - which was also the suggestion when the analogue stick was first spotted by SteamDB and someone asked Valve

I am not sure I want to buy 2 steam controllers but the Link is a sure sell on day 1.

Going to have to find a 2nd xbox 360 wireless usb dongle. Anyone know if the knock off work on SteamOS?

Top Bottom