• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/

Ben Affleck has decided to step down as director of ”The Batman" and remain on as a producer and star of the project.

Affleck is still on board to play the superhero, but sources close to the talent said Affleck and Warner Bros. discussed how to make the best film possible and this was the decision both parties came to.

”There are certain characters who hold a special place in the hearts of millions," Affleck said in a statement. ”Performing this role demands focus, passion and the very best performance I can give. It has become clear that I cannot do both jobs to the level they require. Together with the studio, I have decided to find a partner in a director who will collaborate with me on this massive film. I am still in this, and we are making it, but we are currently looking for a director. I remain extremely committed to this project, and look forward to bringing this to life for fans around the world."

Affleck and Warner Bros. will now begin searching for a new director.

”Warner Bros. fully supports Ben Affleck's decision and remains committed to working with him to bring a standalone Batman picture to life," the studio said a statement.

Affleck has completed work as the Caped Crusader in ”Justice League," which opens Nov. 17, and he was preparing to go into prep on the solo ”Batman" movie this summer. Affleck co-wrote the script with Geoff Johns.

There had been rumblings that Affleck was considering not directing the film during the past month, but in recent weeks sources say the multi-hyphenate came to the decision it was best to let the directing job go and focus on playing the part.

He first appeared as the superhero in last year's ”Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice."

sad-ben-affleck.gif

Fedelias

Maybe because his recent film bombed hard? Doesn't sound necessarily related to the rest of the DC universe collapsing (though that certainly seems to be happening).

kevin1025

Banned
Wow. Slightly expected news because of the snippets going around, but still fairly surprising. Part of me wonders if Live by Night was a little (or a lot) involved with this decision, though.

I've lost any and all excitement/hope for the DC movie universe getting any better. I just really don't give a shit about it anymore, and I wish they'd scrap it.

Of course people are already in here, dicks out ready for the circle jerk.

OT: best decision imo, if he feels that he couldn't do it justice, especially with his recent flops, let someone more capable do it instead. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

caliph95

Oh wow, i'm pretty sure this is the movie everybody been waiting for even non-fans of dceu.

Well aquaman still has James Wan but this is disappointing as hell.

Matt

That's too bad. From the moment he was announced as Batman I thought him directing the solo film was the most exciting part.

Ross61

This may sound bad at first, but he comes to the realization that everyone in this forum wanted right? That he shouldn't be in front of and behind the camera anymore. So what's really the problem.

On one hand, that's too bad because I was interested in seeing how he'd tackle it. On the other, he'd probably know more than most if that would have been a detriment to the project.

SaviorX

Seems to me he just wants to give the "acting" portion it's due diligence and doesn't want to spread himself too thin with the directorial side of things.

Might delay the filming process but it doesn't sound too bad to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom