• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Ben Affleck steps down as director of 'The Batman'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
If he doesn't feel like he can direct and star in it, better to step back and re-evaluate. He's still going to produce and star. I don't really see a down side to this as of now. Take your time, get it right.

Cipherr

Holy fucking shit....

What in the fuck is going on over at DC.

Affleck started reading that script like:
sD6KXkS.gif

Tankard

That's what happens when you are doing something just as a counter and to also get your piece of the money pie.

The DCCU should take the evergrowing L's and step back.

I'm DC fanboy by the way, not hating on it, DC to me has the better universe, they are just doing it all wrong in the cinematic side.

What circle jerk? The one that thinks DCU movies are trash? Not exactly a stretch of the imagination. Affleck is better than that.
The one where ANY news automatically means "it's bad, reboot, burn it down"
That's a circle jerk.

Affleck's directorial endeavors haven't been going so well recently
His prior DC movie has already been poorly received.
He makes the decision to let someone more capable than he currently is to do it justice and everyone is jumping to their favored conclusions.

Strimei

This may sound bad at first, but he comes to the realization that everyone in this forum wanted right? That he shouldn't be in front of and behind the camera anymore. So what's really the problem.

Eh, maybe. I really did enjoy Argo, but looking back, the one thing I didn't like was his role, so maybe it is for the best.

Sure doesn't look good though.

ezekial45

Banned
How's Aquaman coming along? That's the only movie they've got in production now, yeah?

It really sucks to see DCEU struggle like this. WB totally squandered such amazing talent, too.

jrush64

Banned
Well this topic is going as expected. Obviously it could not be the pressure getting to him and he just wants to focus on acting.

Neogaf experts have surmised that he wants out.

It sucks but I think this is a good thing. Something like this is a whole different beast than the type of films he was doing on his own, I wanted to see if he could pull it off but this definitely would have spread him thin.

Besides all WB needs to do to get everyone nutting again is get someone big to direct it.

I'd bet that the performance of Live By Night probably factored into this. After that bombed hard (REAL HARD) for Affleck, I'm sure Warner was less confident in giving him the director's chair.

Spaghetti

This could go either way.

On the one hand, scripting, starring, directing is pulling Affleck in too many directions. He may have gotten lucky with Argo and The Town, but Live By Night is clearly an example of how you can only stretch yourself so far.

On the other, it could spell a lack of confidence in the project, and WB could put any old hack in as director just to get the picture made.

Hope it works out okay. A solo Batman movie is the only DCEU movie I'd pay to see in the cinema right now.

caliph95

Aquaman's really gonna be the best DCEU movie, isn't it?

What a world we live in.

That would be Hilarious that the best dc movie is Aquaman at least the stale aquaman jokes is going to die.

And from what I saw many people were tired of Affleck in front of and behind the camera. And he realized it too.

But i'm sure there are bigger fans of his directing than his acting. Weren't people saying they want to focus on directing than acting no matter how good he was as Batman.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Again, he still wrote it, will star in it, and will produce it. It's not the end of the world, jesus christ. The hyperbole in this thread already, yeesh.

Why would he kill himself trying to direct and act in this if he doesn't feel he can do it? Now he can focus on just the one thing and hire a director he trusts to deal with all the other shit.

ShadyK54

Oh fucking boy. I'm sure the reception to Live By Night didn't help, either. Hope they're able to find someone capable.

Fuchs

Yeah, that's an unfortunate turn of events, but as long as Batfleck stays on as producer it'll be alright I hope.

So, who'll step in then?
I'd like to see another David Fincher Collab including a soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

But my guess is, WB wants a more lighter tone for the film, so they'll probably get a more conventional filmmaker.

The one where ANY news automatically means "it's bad, reboot, burn it down"
That's a circle jerk.

He makes the decision to let someone more capable than he currently is to do it justice and everyone is jumping to their favored conclusions.
It's not exactly just "any" news though. He's stepping down from a rather important role in the film's development.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. You can't blame folks for being sceptical of the quality of future DCU films.

Prompto

Banned
I'd bet that the performance of Live By Night probably factored into this. After that bombed hard (REAL HARD) for Affleck, I'm sure Warner was less confident in giving him the director's chair.
And yet they still let Snyder direct Man of Steel after Watchmen and Sucker Punch bombed? And then let him direct Batman v Superman and Justice League as well?

Sesha

That's disappointing. I hope it happened because Affleck himself felt it was best.

They should delay the stand-alone Batman movie while they search for someone with the vision and the will to make this movie. But I fear they won't or can't.

I wish DC/DC would throw money at someone like Denis Villeneuve, Gareth Evans, Pete Travis or Alex Garland or whomever, and tell them they can do whatever they want in order to have this film come out in reasonable amount of time and be as good as possible.

Cipherr

People keep saying it's over, but the movies keep doing gangbusters?

This is because people that aren't receiving residuals for these films want the movies to be enjoyable more than they want them to be profitable. Making a bunch of money doesn't impact me because none of its going into my pockets. But wasting my time watching Suicide Squad is annoying when the movie is hot garbage. Especially considering the squandered potential.

Again, he still wrote it, will star in it, and will produce it. It's not the end of the world, jesus christ. The hyperbole in this thread already, yeesh.

Why would he kill himself trying to direct and act in this if he doesn't feel he can do it? Now he can focus on just the one thing and hire a director he trusts to deal with all the other shit.
Because this is supposed to be going into production within a month and now it doesn't have a director. So now they need to find one that not only can provide a good film, but work within what Afflecks Vision for it is.

That's not some easy thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom