• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various eShop software download sizes for Nintendo Switch games

Bluth54

This.. Also the majority of people complaining are never going to buy a Switch...

Jesus Christ people. Stop feeding the trolls. If the switch came with more space then the same people would be complaining about the price.

Just be glad you aren't paying up the ass for proprietary shit that's prone to failure.

I mean if you want I can post a screenshot of my Amazon preorder for a Switch and the Zelda master edition.

I really love Nintendo. I want to see them do well, but the lack of storage given the increasing size of patches, DLC and indie titles (completely throwing out buying retail games digitally) and the low price of flash memory just seems like one more mistake out of many that Nintendo is making for the Switch.

Curious to see where 1-2 Switch sits. I would imagine it's on the smaller side, but each of those 28 games having an HD intro video makes me wonder if that'll cause the size to balloon.

All digital over here.
The system storage size is irrelevant, that's just to hold the OS and save data.
All game data goes on SD.
Buying an SD is simpler and cheaper than others consoles methods of expanding storage.
I have no issues... just hoping the eShop downloads are a lot faster than on the 3DS and Wii U!

nubbe

Curious to see where 1-2 Switch sits. I would imagine it's on the smaller side, but each of those 28 games having an HD intro video makes me wonder if that'll cause the size to balloon.
The videos shouldn't be large if they are encoded with VP9

Your response was simply very odd to me simply pointing out that it's very odd that the Switch is not a smartphone or tablet. And the form factor would cause no problems in terms of storage sizes of 64GB or 128GB, those would have been well possible with the current design (at a small cost to Nintendo). Nothing is trollish there.

They have 32GB in there because they can get away with that. Business is about maximizing the shareholder's equity so companies will do the least they can. They could have used the faster Samsung eMMC but Toshiba was probably cheaper.

There are other expected utilities they cannot do without (like the touchscreen) or those they view as major selling points (like the Joy-cons and HD rumble).

In the end, you have a limited budget to design with so choices are limited. Sacrifices had to be made. Who knows, maybe they went with only 32GB so they can free up some of the budget to increase the RAM in order to appease developers?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
One game can surpass the entire internal memory. Going forward even a pricey 256mb card won't really be enough if you really want to go digital.

They have 32GB in there because they can get away with that. Business is about maximizing the shareholder's equity so companies will do the least they can. They could have used the faster Samsung eMMC but Toshiba was probably cheaper.

There are other expected utilities they cannot do without (like the touchscreen) or those they view as major selling points (like the Joy-cons and HD rumble).

In the end, you have a limited budget to design with so choices are limited. Sacrifices had to be made. Who knows, maybe they went with only 32GB so they can free up some of the budget to increase the RAM in order to appease developers?

Yep, the reality of the situation is that for the vast majority of owners, the folks who buy 1-4 retail games a year at their local Walmart, the included 32 GB will be enough for save data and patches.

For the core audience, the group who is going to be downloading smaller eShop titles and also digital versions of retail games, there isn't an amount of storage that would be satisfactory to them or affordable for Nintendo to include without raising the price of the unit. It makes more sense for them to just allow those users to purchase whatever sized SD card they want, rather than bumping the price of the Switch up to $400 so you can have 256 GB included.

We still have no idea besides generic micro sd hc/xc support correct?

Getting ready to bite the bullet on a 128gb card, but want to get the fastest version supported. Should there be any reason if I went with UHS 3 instead of UHS 1? As in if 3 isn't supported will it be at less speed than the 1 version?

Can you hot swap SD cards on Switch?
I think unlike similar devices this may be possible, because saved games (unless I'm misremembering) are always stored on internal memory, with just read-only data such as games and patches being stored in external storage. A setup like that should make unplugging the SD just as safe as unplugging a cartridge, unless you're downloading a game or patch (and even that should be detectable if designed properly).

But we'll see what happens, perhaps it'll complain about it just like on 3DS and Vita.

mrk8885

Banned
I'm ecstatic with the majority of these game sizes. Looks like my 200gb card will last a while.

Major releases like zelda and Mario odyssey I'll get digital and it'll live in my machine. But I'll be happy to have a library of lots of other smaller games with me at all times: puyo puyo, snipperclips, MK8, etc.

Excited!

Krakatoa

Before I decide on Digital or Carts. I need Nintendo to talk about how the digital content licenses work. Will I be able to play it on a friends system if I log in? Will I be able to transfer the game easily if I lose, or sell the system? If they stay silent then I will be getting carts.

mrk8885

Banned
Yep, the reality of the situation is that for the vast majority of owners, the folks who buy 1-4 retail games a year at their local Walmart, the included 32 GB will be enough for save data and patches.

For the core audience, the group who is going to be downloading smaller eShop titles and also digital versions of retail games, there isn't an amount of storage that would be satisfactory to them or affordable for Nintendo to include without raising the price of the unit. It makes more sense for them to just allow those users to purchase whatever sized SD card they want, rather than bumping the price of the Switch up to $400 so you can have 256 GB included.

Agree 100%. Keep costs lower. Let the digital crowd upgrade easily. Let physical only people have a lower price point and enough for saves. Easy decision.

Agree 100%. Keep costs lower. Let the digital crowd upgrade easily. Let physical only people have a lower price point and enough for saves. Easy decision.

Yup. Keep costs as low as possible for the vast majority physical crowd, and let the digital-only hardcore crowd pay the luxury tax for their caprice.

mrk8885

Banned
Yup. Keep costs as low as possible for the vast majority physical crowd, and let the digital-only hardcore crowd pay the luxury tax for their caprice.

Lol. Well I'm a member of that mostly digital for Switch crowd. I'm using it primarily as a portable so want most games on the system. But with SD card capability I don't mind at all. I'm a 64gb Vita card owner; ive felt the pain.

The difference in large scale manufacturing costs between 32GB and 128GB internally is around $5.

This is just another classic Nintendo fumble.

I think unlike similar devices this may be possible, because saved games (unless I'm misremembering) are always stored on internal memory, with just read-only data such as games and patches being stored in external storage. A setup like that should make unplugging the SD just as safe as unplugging a cartridge, unless you're downloading a game or patch (and even that should be detectable if designed properly).

But we'll see what happens, perhaps it'll complain about it just like on 3DS and Vita.

There's no reason save games wont be on the SD card if necessary, think you might be misremembering the thing about no saves on the cartridges

Malick[AI];230659643 said:
The difference in large scale manufacturing costs between 32GB and 128GB internally is around $5.

This is just another classic Nintendo fumble.

On 20 million switches thats 100 million bucks

Malick[AI];230659643 said:

Source? Because every other device that comes with internal storage of that type sees a $50 per 32GB increase in price.

asagami_

Banned
SD cards aside, has there been talk about external HDs? Worked pretty well for XCX.

Nintendo is thinking about it. But I hope it happen but just allow "to store" your games there. Nothing about let you play from a game installed in a HDD.

BlitzKeeg

It's 2017 and a major video game console is coming out without enough space to hold one of it's very few launch titles without the consumer having to buy external storage.

And we're calling the people who complain about this entitled and trolls? Are we serious?

The fact that Nintendo is doing this is pathetic. Why are you people supporting this?

This is so clearly short sighted and anti-consumer. We already have enough problems with console patch sizes and data caps.

I won't be buying the Switch day one specifically because Nintendo has been doing the same dumb crap for years and I'm tired of it. I can understand why you people are excited, which means that you should also be able to see why others are upset.

Soroc

It's 2017 and a major video game console is coming out without enough space to hold one of it's very few launch titles without the consumer having to buy external storage.

And we're calling the people who complain about this entitled and trolls? Are we serious?

The fact that Nintendo is doing this is pathetic. Why are you people supporting this?

This is so clearly short sighted and anti-consumer. We already have enough problems with console patch sizes and data caps.

Btw I'm a Nintendo fan. As if that matters.

I personally don't see Nintendo giving a consumer non proprietary options of expanding the storage space to their own custom tailored needs as anti-consumer, if anything that is pro-consumer.

I haven't bought a SD card in years.

Is this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010Q57S62/?tag=neogaf0e-20 going to work with the Switch?

Yes it seems that is a good card, most people seem to be purchasing the 200GB version of that card (including myself)

There's no reason save games wont be on the SD card if necessary, think you might be misremembering the thing about no saves on the cartridges
Nah, looks like I remembered right: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953

If no microSDXC card is used, everything is stored in internal NAND memory. If a microSDXC card is used, game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card. Nintendo Switch game cards are non-writable; game save data is stored in internal NAND memory.

There's a space it'll fit into without having to buy anything extra
the cartridge slot

The consumer doesn't have to buy anything if he buys the game in physical form, which the very vast majority will.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Complaining is fine... But people have to realize that every increase in storage space would have increased the systems price. So you really wouldn't have saved anything at the end.

Sure they could sell a Switch Pro bundle including a 128 or 200gb card for 350...but what's the point when most people already own cards or can easily buy one for themselves.

Do people really think this system would cost $300 if they went 128GB?

64GB would have been almost as useless as 32GB if you planned on going digital only so the minor cost for Nintendo to eat there probably wasn't worth it for them, and the additional storage isn't really that much better for the consumer. As someone who plans on going mostly physical (I had a 200GB card on order but I think I will cancel), I find this to be pro-consumer if anything. *shrug* I don't want to deal with increased console cost when I will buy a SD card regardless if I really need one down the road.

I won't be buying the Switch day one specifically because Nintendo has been doing the same dumb crap for years and I'm tired of it. I can understand why you people are excited, which means that you should also be able to see why others are upset.

"Pathetic"

I can triple the storage for like $20. Come off it.

Most people will be buying most games at retail. Retail games on Switch DO NOT require installation. Increasing the console's cost by $50-$100 so that a very small percentage of gamers can buy a digital copy of a single launch title out of the box just isn't worth it.

I don't need to spend a penny, as I already said. Something doesn't need to effect me directly to be dumb. How many iPhone games can't fit on an iPhone?

People run out of space all the time on their phones. Hell, Apple sells 16gb capacity iPhone for $400 that have 11.5 GB of usable space and NO ability to increase that storage.

I just think it is really silly to argue over 32GB of onboard storage when the capacity is easily expandable.

Did you get this upset about the 3DS or Vita for launching with no/low onboard storage?

BlitzKeeg

Digital purchasing is an incredibly popular form of purchase for many people, and it is just as valid as people buying physical.

Forcing the consumer to buy external storage to fit a downloaded launch title is anti consumer because it requires them to spend more money on something that should be included in the original purchase.

Most people will be buying most games at retail. Retail games on Switch DO NOT require installation. Increasing the console's cost by $50-$100 so that a very small percentage of gamers can buy a digital copy of a single launch title out of the box just isn't worth it.

This will not be understood at all for whatever reason unfortunately.

Digital purchasing is an incredibly popular form of purchase for many people, and it is just as valid as people buying physical.

Forcing the consumer to buy external storage to fit a downloaded launch title is anti consumer because it requires them to spend more money on something that should be included in the original purchase.

No. Retail is still the most common way of buying games. Increasing storage and then increasing the price of the console is anti-consumer if anything. You and a few people in this thread have it completely opposite.

Having 32GB and then making an exclusive SD card format would have been anti-consumer. This is the complete opposite of anti-consumer because it allows the greatest range of choice to the consumer.

Top Bottom