• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo details how physical games bigger than 32GB will work on Switch

I didn't expect people to be freaking out this hard about the Switch's memory. Is buying an SD card that huge an issue? It's not a secret that 32 GB isn't a lot. And as of now we don't have many examples of games with partial data on the card ao I dunno, is this a big deal?

This is not the issue.

rudger

dq3ADaw2RNiFeruVufzgVw.png

That changes literally nothing about the post I was responding to which said how clear the rep's own words were. The rep said "may" repeatedly. We have previously seen label issues like these that have caused confusion like when Lego City Undercover came out. That also took a while for the confusion to clear up.

Chindogg

You got me, I don't play games designed for children because I am an adult and like spending my money on things I support, which doesn't tend to include gimmicky shit.

And we've finally reached Ninjablade's Law where we talk about "adult gaming" and other Console Warz bullshit and disregard every other intellectually dishonest, goalpost moving, concern trolling post made by this guy.

Move along folks.

Chindogg

Again.there is no such version announced. If it was a download code in a box, they'd release it in September and not October.

Best Buy's saying September for that release.

They never updated the release date. And they also don't list any seperate retail version for October.

GameStop, which has updated the releasedate before, also lists no seperate download only SKU. Just as all other retailers they replaced the boxart with the updated version on the page selling the card version.

Also, if it suddenly just was a download code, wouldn't retailers inform their customers? After all, preorders were placed for a card version.

Why is there an Early Tip-off version of the game when it's supposed to be released in October? They have a Collector's Edition also in September.

Shiggy

They never updated the release date. And they also don't list any seperate retail version for October.

GameStop, which has updated the releasedate before, also lists no seperate download only SKU. Just as all other retailers they replaced the boxart with the updated version on the page selling the card version.

Also, if it suddenly just was a download code, wouldn't retailers inform their customers? After all, preorders were placed for a card version.

That quote repeatedly says "may" require an sd card depending on the system's current available memory and the amount of memory required by the game. You are speaking as though it is absolutely required to buy an sd card. This is just like how it "may" require an additional hard drive to play a PS4 game if your hard drive ran out of space.
I am at the hair pulling stage. The NBA 2K18 box literally says "Internet download and microSD required." What exactly do you think the word "required" means. If it were optional, the notice would not be needed.

As for why a physical version would need more than 25GB of download space, I don't know, but here are a couple of guesses.

1) Just one of NBA 2K17's patches was 7.64 GB. Note that on the XB1 and PS4, the disk image of the game can be updated directly. On the Switch, the ROM can not. That means patched files need to be copied from ROM to updatable memory in order to patch them. That could ultimately mean copying most of the game over if a large percentage of the files need to be patched. In addition, the act of patching a game typically requires more space than the final file size. That is because temporary files are often used for things like uncompressing a downloaded file. All of this could easily use up more than 25GB and Nintendo does not want players to get into a position where they can't patch their game.

2) The Switch simply might not allow a single game to take up most of its internal memory. If it did, then that game could prevent other games from running even if they only used mostly ROM. That is because their saved data and patches still need to use internal memory. For this reason, there is likely a maximum size of internal memory that a game is allowed to use that is less than the total memory available.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I would like to know what I`m missing out on by buying these games. Is there a story mode? Is the story mode complete? Are teams missing? How much of the offline features are missing, or is it multiplayer only?

Gamezone

Gold Member
That changes literally nothing about the post I was responding to which said how clear the rep's own words were. The rep said "may" repeatedly. We have previously seen label issues like these that have caused confusion like when Lego City Undercover came out. That also took a while for the confusion to clear up.

Didn`t IGN update their article with confirmation from Nintendo that this actually is legit with NBA2K18? I don`t think there`s much doubt this time.

rudger

I am at the hair pulling stage. The NBA 2K18 box literally says "Internet download and microSD required." What exactly do you think the word "required" means. If it were optional, the notice would not be needed.

As for why a physical version would need more than 25GB of download space, I don't know, but here are a couple of guesses.

1) Just one of NBA 2K17's patches was 7.64 GB. Note that on the XB1 and PS4, the disk image of the game can be updated directly. On the Switch, the ROM can not. That means patched files need to be copied from ROM to updatable memory in order to patch them. That could ultimately mean copying most of the game over if a large percentage of the files need to be patched. In addition, the act of patching a game typically requires more space than the final file size. That is because temporary files are often used for things like uncompressing a downloaded file. All of this could easily use up more than 25GB and Nintendo does not want players to get into a position where they can't patch their game.

2) The Switch simply might not allow a single game to take up most of its internal memory. If it did, then that game could prevent other games from running even if they only used mostly ROM. That is because their saved data and patches still need to use internal memory. For this reason, there is likely a maximum size of internal memory that a game is allowed to use that is less than the total memory available.

Then why didn't you quote the image rather than quote somebody repeatedly saying "may"? Also check my other reply as I point out that there have been instances of mislabeled or unclear boxes before - and related to storage size no less. So it means nothing until the game comes out and we see how it actually behaves. People mislabel or write unclear things on game boxes all the fucking time. Again, I was responding to your use of the rep's quote as proof.

The notice is likely there because no matter what, to access a large (or not large - this part is a bit vague, but let's assume large) part of the game, a decent amount of additional storage is required. This is unlike other physical games for the system, so whether you have to buy an additional piece of hardware or not, you as a consumer should be informed of this.

As for whether the Switch limits how much space a game can take from the internal memory - I do not know. I believe Zelda is 13gb and runs on the internal memory. I am unsure if there are examples of larger games (and can't connect my system to the internet right now or I'd check). It seems possible but I don't recall any such restriction with the Wii U and that had games that could swallow up almost the entire internal memory.

Edit: looks like I'll be proven very wrong. Damn phone acted up and wouldn't fully load article for a bit and was relying on quotes from posters

Ninja Dom

👆🏾I have an 8GB Wii U and nearly all games later on could take up the available storage. Of course I have an HDD attached.

Then why didn't you quote the image rather than quote somebody repeatedly saying "may"?
I mentioned the image because it directly contradicts your use of the word "may." Do you somehow doubt the image exists? It is in that article we are talking about. The very same Sept 1 article that still says "A representative for Nintendo of America confirmed that box art, like that for NBA above, will have notices of this memory card requirement on the front and back of packaging." So please tell me how an internet download has front and back packaging.​

Also check my other reply as I point out that there have been instances of mislabeled or unclear boxes before - and related to storage size no less.
This isn't a mislabel. This is an entire article specifically on this subject. It only exists because Nintendo just made an announcement about it. Someone can mess up box art. They don't make a press statement with wildly inaccurate information. And note that in the article a reporter got confirmation from Nintendo on this point.​

The notice is likely there because no matter what, to access a large (or not large - this part is a bit vague, but let's assume large) part of the game, a decent amount of additional storage is required. This is unlike other physical games for the system, so whether you have to buy an additional piece of hardware or not, you as a consumer should be informed of this.
Well at least you now sound like you admit this is for the physical copy. If this was just an advisory then it wouldn't have the word "required". We have now come full circle to my last reply to you.​

It seems possible but I don't recall any such restriction with the Wii U and that had games that could swallow up almost the entire internal memory.
Obviously NBA 2K18 is the first of a new class of larger sized games. That is the whole reason for this microSD announcement. I'd also wager that NBA 2K18 will have larger patches than other games too.​

I want to end by noting that your entire argument boils down to you saying that you don't want to believe what every single bit of evidence says is true. And what do you use to back up that extraordinary claim? Nothing. You just think/hope that Nintendo, IGN reporters, and gaming outlets all made multiple mistakes with specificity days ago...and no one but you has since caught it.

rudger

I mentioned the image because it directly contradicts your use of the word "may." Do you somehow doubt the image exists? It is in that article we are talking about. The very same Sept 1 article that still says "A representative for Nintendo of America confirmed that box art, like that for NBA above, will have notices of this memory card requirement on the front and back of packaging." So please tell me how an internet download has front and back packaging.​

This isn't a mislabel. This is an entire article specifically on this subject. It only exists because Nintendo just made an announcement about it. Do you think Nintendo PR has not read this 3 day old article? And note that in the article a reporter got confirmation from Nintendo on this point.​

Well at least you now sound like you admit this is for the physical copy. If this was just an advisory then it wouldn't have the word "required". We have now come full circle to my last reply to you.​

Obviously NBA 2K18 is the first of a new class of larger sized games. That is the whole reason for this microSD announcement. I'd also wager that NBA 2K18 will have larger patches than other games too.​

I want to end by noting that your entire argument boils down to you saying that you don't want to believe what every single bit of evidence says is true. And what do you use to back up that extraordinary claim? Nothing. You just think/hope that Nintendo, IGN reporters, and gaming outlets all made multiple mistakes with specificity days ago...and no one but you has since caught it.

I almost feel bad you wrote such a long message for something I already acknowledged I messed up - though I will point out that Wii U absolutely had external game storage. It had it at launch even. No clue why you would think it didn't. I'll also add that once again I was responding to your post which quoted a rep repeatedly using the word "may" as evidence of a definitive thing. It made no sense. Even rereading it knowing that this is a true thing it makes no sense how you used the quote in your argument. That was how I jumped into this. I read your post assuming that quote was what you were basing your argument on and it seemed very obvious how it could be misconstrued. The article had failed to load for me at the time so i was going off your post.

Then the whole image debate began and I was reminded of the premature freakout from Lego City Undercover. I don't really think I was unclear and again already acknowledged my mistake.

Ninja Dom

How do the Switch normally handle large patches? Is an SD card required for them too?

There are no real large patches for the Switch currently that I'm aware of. The biggest I think, is Zelda with the DLC. I have Zelda physical. The patches take up 200MB on my Switch internal storage. The DLC takes up 1GB on my Micro SD card.

The reason for the split is that when the first patch for Zelda launched, I never had a Micro SD inserted. So the internal storage is the default location for Zelda patches.

Gamezone

Gold Member
There are no real large patches for the Switch currently that I'm aware of. The biggest I think, is Zelda with the DLC. I have Zelda physical. The patches take up 200MB on my Switch internal storage. The DLC takes up 1GB on my Micro SD card.

The reason for the split is that when the first patch for Zelda launched, I never had a Micro SD inserted. So the internal storage is the default location for Zelda patches.

With games like DOOM, Gears of War, and various sports games, patches are usually huge, but most of the chunk is multiplayer related. I hope they'll provide us with information on what these downloads are. I don't want incomplete single player.

With games like DOOM, Gears of War, and various sports games, patches are usually huge, but most of the chunk is multiplayer related. I hope they'll provide us with information on what these downloads are. I don't want incomplete single player.

Fucking this. Makes us download the entire multiplayer, I don't care.

Just put single player in the fucking cart.

Turrican3

Again.there is no such version announced. If it was a download code in a box, they'd release it in September and not October.
My two cents: the fact they state an SD card is required might, in fact, suggest we're actually talking about a digital code in a box (since the game is supposed to be about 25GB large it's easy to see it would likely NOT fit into the built-in flash of the Switch, even brand new ones since they have roughly... 25GB free)

Gamezone

Gold Member
My two cents: the fact they state an SD card is required might, in fact, suggest we're actually talking about a digital code in a box (since the game is supposed to be about 25GB large it's easy to see it would likely NOT fit into the built-in flash of the Switch, even brand new ones since they have roughly... 25GB free)

It's fucked up if true. Retailers have to inform their customers. Can't some website just contact 2K as they contacted WB during the Lego City mess?

Shiggy

Well, assuming that I am right I would put a HUGE "Digital download - no cart included" disclaimer, that's for sure!

This way feels (okay, would feel) quite ambiguous to say the least. :-\

It would be really deceiving here.
To compare, this is what these code-in-a-box cases looked like before:

There were always big disclaimers on the front of the box, and I'm pretty sure that Nintendo would require third parties to follow similar standards on Switch.

Turrican3

To compare, this is what these code-in-a-box cases looked like before:
[...]
There were always big disclaimers on the front of the box, and I'm pretty sure that Nintendo would require third parties to follow similar standards on Switch.
Yeah, I remember about those.

I don't know what to think anymore, I guess I'll wait for further clarification/investigations.

Gamezone

Gold Member

What was the Lego City label all about? Why was it there in the first place?

Gamezone

Gold Member

My guess is that the full game is in the cartridge, but the updates might be massive, so it might require an SD card in order to get those working properly.

rudger

What was the Lego City label all about? Why was it there in the first place?

I'm confused by the question. One of your earlier posts in this thread on this page or appears to mention it. Here is an article on it:

http://me.ign.com/en/m/nintendo-switch/131150/news/lego-city-switch-download-requirements-clarified

Basically the label said that you needed to download 13gb to play the game and an sd card might be required in order to play it.
Not exactly the same wording, but very similar type of label and situation and the whole thing ended up being a mistake.

It seems the lesson from that mistake was that they were working out wording for these types of situations and were expecting it at some point. Which frankly shouldn't come as a total shock but it's a little weird it appears to be first for a game that can technically fit on an existing cart size.

mario_O

There's a big difference between mandatory installations with discs, and this. The full game is on the disc. And you'll always be able to install it, even if you dont have an internet connection, or in 10 years time. It's there, forever.
The good thing about carts is that they're fast, and there is no need for installations. With this bullshit, Nintendo is making this advantage irrelevant. In a system that has an abysmal storage capacity. Many people were thinking, "all go full physical media with the Switch" And now they're forcing everybody to buy more storage; making the price of the console more expensive. It's now 330 + game + sd card, if you want to play these large games. This doesn't happen with the other consoles that have a much larger capacity, and many people stick with the default hard drive for all the generation.

shanafan

There's a big difference between mandatory installations with discs, and this. The full game is on the disc. And you'll always be able to install it, even if you dont have an internet connection, or in 10 years time. It's there, forever.

Like any current generation game, the patches and bug fixes are not on the disc and do require a day one download. If 20 years from now those servers go down, then you may be playing a game that could have a game-breaking glitch and you can't do anything about it.

This doesn't happen with the other consoles that have a much larger capacity, and many people stick with the default hard drive for all the generation.

I think most people have purchased additional storage for their Xbox One and/or PS4. I personally bought a 2 TB for my Xbox One, and 4 TB for my PS4, because the default hard drive in the console just isn't large enough.

Rolf NB

That quote repeatedly says "may" require an sd card depending on the system's current available memory and the amount of memory required by the game. You are speaking as though it is absolutely required to buy an sd card. This is just like how it "may" require an additional hard drive to play a PS4 game if your hard drive ran out of space.
It "may" because the Switch comes with 32GB (minus OS requirements) built in. It absolutely does require storage. There is no "may" about that. Only way around the SD card is enough free space on the built-in storage.

rudger

The good thing about carts is that they're fast, and there is no need for installations. With this bullshit, Nintendo is making this advantage irrelevant. In a system that has an abysmal storage capacity. Many people were thinking, "all go full physical media with the Switch" And now they're forcing everybody to buy more storage; making the price of the console more expensive. It's now 330 + game + sd card, if you want to play these large games. This doesn't happen with the other consoles that have a much larger capacity, and many people stick with the default hard drive for all the generation.

This isn't true though. Many games on PS4 and Xbox one have come out that require gigs of additional data to access certain features on day one. It is stated in the article that the game is playable without the download but that some features are missing. We need more info to know how bullshit that is - as somebody else pointed out, if it's online multiplayer related then it doesn't really matter since that feature wouldn't work without online anyways. I doubt they are being so considerate (or that the online portion can really be sectioned off that easily), but we can hope.

And when developers do this on the other systems, Sony and Microsoft are usually not the ones taken to task for it - I have seen some posters call them out, but it's not the general sentiment. So why is this instance on Nintendo? I'll again bring up the rather extreme example of tony hawk which I believe only had the tutorial on the disc.

Edit:
It "may" because the Switch comes with 32GB (minus OS requirements) built in. It absolutely does require storage. There is no "may" about that. Only way around the SD card is enough free space on the built-in storage.

I later clarify myself. My issue is with the use of the quote as definitive evidence of a requirement. They say "may". I didn't say it! It turns out they should have been far clearer, but the rep says "may" which is the height of meaninglessness. Honestly, it's not important and wish we could move on.

jmizzal

And we've finally reached Ninjablade's Law where we talk about "adult gaming" and other Console Warz bullshit and disregard every other intellectually dishonest, goalpost moving, concern trolling post made by this guy.

Move along folks.

hahahaha a guy that doesnt have a Switch and has no interest in a Switch is in a Switch thread complaining about something Switch related, hilarious I figured that, thats why I said that to him

I would like to know what I`m missing out on by buying these games. Is there a story mode? Is the story mode complete? Are teams missing? How much of the offline features are missing, or is it multiplayer only?

Nothing is missing, its the same game as the PS4, Xbox one and PC versions, thats whats great about 2K18 on Switch

rudger

And here is the Canadian release:
vxsGvZc.jpg

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N7XL3RH/

Lol. I've apologized for this post a few times and now I don't know what to think. Your Canadian image clearly says "may" - meaning you may need a card if you don't have enough internal storage. If it absolutely required it, the wording should reflect that. Still, I don't even think this is a big deal. My issue has been with taking the reps words as a definitive answer when they clearly weren't - and damn you for muddying the waters cause I honestly thought this was settled.

Edit: I actually do think this is a big deal if it says "may" and under no circumstance can you play it without needing a card. That's just misleading. I hope the file size is clearly written on the box somewhere.

Gamezone

Gold Member
This isn't true though. Many games on PS4 and Xbox one have come out that require gigs of additional data to access certain features on day one. It is stated in the article that the game is playable without the download but that some features are missing. We need more info to know how bullshit that is - as somebody else pointed out, if it's online multiplayer related then it doesn't really matter since that feature wouldn't work without online anyways. I doubt they are being so considerate (or that the online portion can really be sectioned off that easily), but we can hope.

And when developers do this on the other systems, Sony and Microsoft are usually not the ones taken to task for it - I have seen some posters call them out, but it's not the general sentiment. So why is this instance on Nintendo? I'll again bring up the rather extreme example of tony hawk which I believe only had the tutorial on the disc.

Edit:

I later clarify myself. My issue is with the use of the quote as definitive evidence of a requirement. They say "may". I didn't say it! It turns out they should have been far clearer, but the rep says "may" which is the height of meaninglessness. Honestly, it's not important and wish we could move on.

If they are using 16 GB SD cards on 25 GB games, I have reason to believe much will be missing. But how much? It's a damn sports game. If the sound and arena is there, how much could be missing?

jmizzal

If they are using 16 GB SD cards on 25 GB games, I have reason to believe much will be missing. But how much? It's a damn sports game. If the sound and arena is there, how much could be missing?

We have no idea what size cart they are using now, we have not seen the box art for the retail version with a cart, only the download only box art.

Maybe the reason for the delay for cart version is that they had to get 32 gb carts and didnt know until late.

Gamezone

Gold Member
hahahaha a guy that doesnt have a Switch and has no interest in a Switch is in a Switch thread complaining about something Switch related, hilarious I figured that, thats why I said that to him

Nothing is missing, its the same game as the PS4, Xbox one and PC versions, thats whats great about 2K18 on Switch

How do you know that? If they are saving money by using 16 GB cartridges, stuff is obviously missing. PS4 and XBO has 50 GB discs that might store everything on them.

Glass Joe

It's like the people saying this isn't true refuse to read the article. I don't WANT it to be true, but with quotes like these, I don't get why people are saying otherwise:

"While revealing a new partnership with SD card maker SanDisk, Nintendo has also revealed that, moving forward, some Nintendo Switch games will require a MicroSD card in order to experience the full content of certain upcoming games."

"At least one upcoming release, NBA 2K18, will be such a game requiring a MicroSD card in the system, as evidenced by the game's updated box art."

"A representative for Nintendo of America confirmed that box art, like that for NBA above, will have notices of this memory card requirement on the front and back of packaging."

"Nintendo also clarified that games requiring the additional space of a memory card will still allow those without a microSD card to play portions of those games."

This is a terrible solution. What point is there is having the cart at all if you need a micro sd card to get the rest? Also, this might force people to buy a micro sd card even when their internal storage is not full yet, and therefore they will waste all that internal storage. Also, why can't they use internal storage for the extra data? I suppose the only perk is not needing to download 32+ gb of data, but it all seems kinda pointless if you already going to have a micro sd card anyway.

Gamezone

Gold Member
This is a terrible solution. What point is there is having the cart at all if you need a micro sd card to get the rest? Also, this might force people to buy a micro sd card even when their internal storage is not full yet, and therefore they will waste all that internal storage. Also, why can't they use internal storage for the extra data? I suppose the only perk is not needing to download 32+ gb of data, but it all seems kinda pointless if you already going to have a micro sd card anyway.

I`m not going to consider buying an Switch as long as Nintendo accept this.

Top Bottom