• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vegan mock meat restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
you guys try this before? i've eaten at a chinese place like this, gonna try a vietnamese place this friday night. crazy shit they can do with tofu these days; shape, texture, and flavor close to the real thing.

mock ham rolls
HAM%20SPRING%20ROLL%20%20%244.00.jpg

mock calamari and shrimp
SEAFOOD%20FRIED%20RICE%20%20%20%249.00.jpg

mock duck
Yellow%20Noodle%20with%20Bean%20Curd%20and%20Deep%20Fried%20Duck.jpg

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I'm starving now, great.
Edit: How the hell do they get the texturing and colors to look so similar to meat? I ate a vegan burger one time and I didn't even know it was tofu until somebody told me. Is it chemicals? Or are they seasoning it REALLY well?

I totally read this as "Vegans mock meat restaurants" and was infuriated that some punk ass vegans would mock my favorite meat-serving dining establishments.

Most misleading title in the history of GAF...

but pleasantly surprising. Mock duck looks impressive. But... how does it taste?

clockpunk

As a convert-vegan, the range of flavours they can produce with Tofu and Quorn is amazing. Plus it is:

a) Cheaper
b) MUCH less fat
c) Healthier
d) Can be cooked straight from frozen
e) Harms no animals whatsoever.

Much better than meat, and just as tasty and versatile. Some of us just don't like the texture, feel and origin of meat. Or will this be another area of closed-midedness of Gaf?:lol

Dresden

They look good, but imitation ducks and hams based on tofu taste like rubber coated in soy sauce. I'd much rather just have tofu, as it is, if I wanted to avoid meat.

Zeppu

lol silly vegans being stubborn and saying they don't want meat but waiting meat shaped food.

/turns around and engorges himself in bacon,fillets and fried rabbits and chicken wings.

face_777 said:
As a convert-vegan, the range of flavours they can produce with Tofu and Quorn is amazing. Plus it is:

a) Cheaper
b) MUCH less fat
c) Healthier

Much better than meat, and just as tasty and versatile. Some of us just don't like the texture, feel and origin of meat. Or will this be another area of closed-midedness of Gaf?:lol
I have no problem with people going vegetarian/vegan, but the idea that mock meat tastes anything close to the real thing is ludicrous.

And I believe Quorn is not vegan.

Fake meat?

I never tasted tofu so i wouldn't know.

face_777 said:

a) Cheaper
b) MUCH less fat
c) Healthier

Hahah oh man. Poor animals but oh, so tasty!

EmSeta

face_777 said:

a) Cheaper
b) MUCH less fat
c) Healthier

Quorn is generally low fat, yes, but Tofu? Not really.

Zeppu

1. If God/Nature didn't want us to kill/harm animals he/it wouldn't have made them so damn tasty.
2. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU GUYS HAVE AGAINST PLANTS? WHAT HAVE PLANTS EVER DONE WRONG, YOU WANKERS?? Sure I eat animals, and I eat plants. But I don't discriminate! You're just specifically saying that you don not mind that plants are killed for your enjoyment and sustainment. As for me, I don't care either way.

face_777 said:

a) Cheaper
b) MUCH less fat
c) Healthier

a. I suppose. I've never looked into the price. But quality meat is worth the cost.
b. Not sure why you're touting this as a benefit, but okay.
c. Manufactured, processed food product healthier than actual food? No.
d. If you have the time, fresh is always better anyway.
e. Soy crops rob the soil of nutrients, create insane levels of runoff, and how do you think they clear the land in order to plant the massive amounts of soy? Entire ecosystems (full of wildlife) are destroyed in order to make way for soybeans. Anyway you put it, industrial agriculture (and yes, that includes soy/corn, along with factory farmed livestock) is bad for animals.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Mock-meats are the worst of the vegetarian food world. The higher quality stuff is a bit better but it's the stuff that doesn't try to replace meat that tends to be the best. No mock-hamburger I have ever eaten has topped a good black bean burger.
My stint as a vegetarian was good for opening my eyes beyond eating mostly meat but it's a lifestyle not worth the effort.

Nilla

Banned
Is this stuff all tofu-based? I've always avoided it because I had heard there was usually some mushroom component to it (I have an allergy to pretty much anything fungal).

Natetan

buddhist vegetarian resturants are really fun. i went to one in hong kong where i had 'shrimp' with broccoli. i also went to one in beijing (two actually) where i had 'chicken' katsu. it was pretty good! the second one i went to in beijing, called wo xing wo su, was not very good. i got a whole 'fish' and it was just not very tasty.

i wouldnt really call these 'mock meats' like quorn and the like. these dishes have been around for centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_cuisine

Chinese-buddhist-cuisine-taiwan-1.jpg

clockpunk

Price Dalton said:
a. I suppose. I've never looked into the price. But quality meat is worth the cost.
b. Not sure why you're touting this as a benefit, but okay.
c. Manufactured, processed food product healthier than actual food? No.
d. If you have the time, fresh is always better anyway.
e. Soy crops rob the soil of nutrients, create insane levels of runoff, and how do you think they clear the land in order to plant the massive amounts of soy? Entire ecosystems (full of wildlife) are destroyed in order to make way for soybeans. Anyway you put it, industrial agriculture (and yes, that includes soy/corn, along with factory farmed livestock) is bad for animals.

a) Student, Economy, and I'd rather spend my money on games and holidays.
b) You can't see the benefits in less fat? O...K.... There's too high a fat-content in foodstuffs generally these days. A balance is important.
c) You define 'actual food' as hormone-laced and artifically fattened chemical processed muscle-mass? Doesn't sound healthy to me
d) That I agree with - more locally sourced organic vegetables for the win!
e) Not as bad as battery farming, and either starving or gouging them depending on the end product.

Any system of mass food production is going to be harmful, which is why this world is in such a effed up state. There are quality vegan foods which are strictly regulated as being organic and eart friendly, that is their growth does not impede on ecosystems.

Anyone who isn't a fructarian (is that the spelling?) harms the planet, but I don't want to harm my body so I'm glad for al the choices available of foodstuffs.

clockpunk

Nilla said:
Is this stuff all tofu-based? I've always avoided it because I had heard there was usually some mushroom component to it (I have an allergy to pretty much anything fungal).

Quorn is mushroom-derived, and some people have had bad reactions, but Tofu doesn't seem to be.

face_777 said:
a) Student, and I'd ratheer spend my money on games and finer things.
b) You can't see the benefis in less fat? O...K....
c) You define 'actual food' as hormone-laced and artifically fattened chemical processed muscle-mass? Doesn't sound healthy to me
d) That I agree with - more locally sourced organic vegetables for the win!
e) Not as bad as battery farming, and either starving or gouging them depending on the end product.

Any system of mass food production is going to be harmful, which is why this world is in such a effed up state. There are quality vegan foods which are strictly regulated as being organic and eart friendly, that is their growth does not impede on ecosystems.

Anyone who isn't a fructarian (is that the spelling?) harms the planet, but I don't want to harm my body so I'm glad for al the choices available of foodstuffs.

a. Makes sense.
b. Not really. I eat most of my calories as fat, and I'm healthy as can be. As long as you eat real food and avoid excess sugar/vegetable oils, you're gonna be okay.
c. I agree, which is why I don't eat factory-farmed, "hormone-laced muscle mass." Strictly local, pasture-raised stuff for me.
d. Hell yeah.
e. I agree that the way we raise most livestock (on unnatural diets and in cramped, cruel conditions) is terrible, but there are humane ways to eat meat. Death is a necessity for life.

Yes Boss!

I'm vegetarian and I would not go anywhere near this stuff. Far better to just cook properly with fresh ingredients. The whole idea of having a vegetarian lifestyle and attempting to replicate meat products is so off-putting.

mrkgoo

pizzaguysrevenge said:
I have no problem with people going vegetarian/vegan, but the idea that mock meat tastes anything close to the real thing is ludicrous.

And I believe Quorn is not vegan.

I side with this. Nothing wrong with tofu. I love the stuff. I've eaten my fair share of it fashioned into meat wannabe. Pretty good sometimes. But to say it's a perfect substitute? Nope.

Zanmato said:
I don't get it. Vegans are against eating meat right? Why eat something that looks or taste like it?

Missing the entire point of not eating meat.

Well, at least the point most people are trying to make.

They don't do it because they don't like the look, feel, or taste, they don't do it because vegans do not eat or use anything that's made from an animal, including dairy products.

Natetan

Zanmato said:
I don't get it. Vegans are against eating meat right? Why eat something that looks or taste like it?

part of it i suppose is that rather than having to think up a whole new range of dishes specifically for vegetarians/vegans, you can just replace the meat with analogues.

I thought this was an interesting quote as well

"Buddhist vegetarian chefs have become extremely creative in imitating meat using prepared wheat gluten, also known as "seitan" or "wheat meat", soy (such as tofu or tempeh), agar, and other plant products. Some of their recipes are the oldest and most-refined meat analogues in the world. Soy and wheat gluten are very versatile materials, because they can be manufactured into various shapes and textures, and they absorb flavourings (including, but not limited to, meat-like flavourings), whilst having very little flavour of their own. With the proper seasonings, they can mimic various kinds of meat quite closely."

Zanmato said:

It's not that vegans or the like don't like the taste/look of meat (though I have known vegetarians that do not like or care for it). It's a moral issue concerning animal rights.

mrkgoo

CrystalGemini said:
It's not that vegans or the like don't like the taste/look of meat (though I have known vegetarians that do not like or care for it). It's a moral issue concerning animal rights.

But wouldn't supporting the taste of meat be kind of supporting eating meat? Isn't it like saying "Well, I admit, meat tastes good."

mrkgoo said:
But wouldn't supporting the taste of meat be kind of supporting eating meat? Isn't it like saying "Well, I admit, meat tastes good."

That's one way of looking at it. But why not have your cake and eat it too? I believe that is the general thought process when pursuing new creations of this nature.

OnPoint

mrkgoo said:

Most vegetarians I know admit that freely. Taste isn't the reason the stop eating it.

mrkgoo

OnPoint said:
Most vegetarians I know admit that freely. Taste isn't the reason the stop eating it.

For some it is. For others it isn't. I'm not sure you can make a generalisation.

Although we once got a Muslim to eat some bacon, and he said it was pretty good.

That's one way of looking at it. But why not have your cake and eat it too? I believe that is the general thought process when pursuing new creations of this nature.

I guess so.

Arjen

Zanmato said:

This!
Maybe we should make some meat shaped Carrot's to mock vegans.

Yes Boss!

CrystalGemini said:
Exactly. As I have stated before. It's a moral issue. If you can have something that tastes good but does not involve pain to another living being, why not?

Not just a moral issue. I'm a vegetarian and strictly do it for health reasons, no problem with eating meat or those who do. But if I'm gonna eat tofu or seitan I'm not going to eat it formed into meat-like shapes, I'm eating it as tofu and seitan.

Gotta admit that the Quorn stuff is pretty tasty...but not too healthy.

Zanmato

Banned
mrkgoo said:
Although we once got a Muslim to eat some bacon, and he said it was pretty good.
I don't see it as the same though. If their religious doctrine didn't say that eating certain foods was wrong. I don't think they would be against eating white meats in their everyday lives.

OnPoint

mrkgoo said:
For some it is. For others it isn't. I'm not sure you can make a generalisation.

I can't make generalizations about the vegans I know personally? I'm joking of course, and I understand that my small sample of the population doesn't repersent the whole.

itxaka

Defeatist
Yes Boss! said:
They don't do dairy either. That would be too much for me...gotta have milk.

wait what? No milk? WTF that is a goddam crime for your health for sure. So what is the reason they don't? Because it comes from a cow?

OnPoint

itxaka said:
wait what? No milk? WTF that is a goddam crime for your health for sure. So what is the reason they don't? Because it comes from a cow?

That, and for some it's how they treat the cows/get them to produce the milk. I have heard chocolate milk refered to as "chocolate cow rape"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom