• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vegan mock meat restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
optimiss said:
I would totally switch to lab grown meat should it become available. My girlfriend however thinks the thought it utterly disgusting.

I fucking love mock meat vegetarian places. I have tried just about every one I can find in the Bay. My faves are Merit in Mountain View, Tofoo Com Chay in San Jose and this Chinese place in Berkeley.

Happycow.net is a great place to find mock meat restaurants in your area.

I also cook a lot of mock meat dishes at home. There are lots of little tricks to making the taste/texture seem real but it is worth experimenting with. My GF is vegetarian and she loves being abel to have some of her fave meat dishes without allt he guilt.

Lab grown meat high five!

Better for the animals (what animal? it's just meat in the most literal sense!), better for the environment (biochemically compositing meat directly, versus feeding animals, creating waste, using grain and other food resources to feed them, over a prolonged period of time... in order to indirectly biochemically create the meat...)

But your girlfriend sounds like a dumbass. It's not only better than mock meat (which she doesn't seem to mind eating) nutritionally speaking, it's better than real meat as well (seeing as they can engineer out the fat, or even engineer in good fats like omega oils).

Still... we'll have to wait a while yet. Until then, I'll stick to eating meat, mercilessly, and assauging my cognitive dissonance with awesome taste. :p

Munch

Up here in Philadelphia, there is this tiny place called Gianna's Grille. Awesome fake chicken cheest steak. They call it a free bird~

It tastes like the regular chicken cheese steak (I switch back and forth depending on my mood of the day), but looks slightly different. They also have vegan cheese, but I haven't attempted that one yet.

Mudkips

Banned
methos75 said:
I rather choke a chicken...

ivwh9x.png

methos75 said:
...to death, than see that happen.

2w2fqjo.gif

thirty

Banned
so i went to the famous vinh loi restaurant in reseda california last night and i have to say that the food was better than i thought, and i'm a meat eater.

me and my girlfriend tried the seafood salad, which included mock shrimp, crispy calamari and fish cakes, over various chopped veggies including sprouts, lettuce, carrots, peanuts, and mint leaves. i have to say i really enjoyed the mock seafood as they each and varying flavors and textures. we also tried their ham rolls which were delicious, the ham was spot on tasting really close to spam, frightening. lastly, tried the fried rice with grilled bbq duck. the duck was exquisite, i was in awe and the details as each duck piece had replicated not only the meat but the skin as well. the duck skin even had a nice char-grilled texture/flavor while the meat was very tasty absorbing much of the bbq sauce.

we did try desert, the pandan pudding, a warm soy custard topped with coconut sauce and a sweet ginger syrup. although good, my girlfriend didn't like the idea of warm desert. she even told the extremely friendly owner kevin that when she comes back she'd like to see a chocolate desert on the menu, which kevin said he has created but has yet to add to the menu yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom