• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vegan mock meat restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

nakedsushi said:
Oh nice! If you can handle spice, ask Kevin (the owner) for his special chili paste. It's always a pleasant surprise b/c he makes it differently each time. My favorite thing there is the House Special Seafood noodle w/ thin rice noodles like in pho. Get a pandan soymilk while you're at it to cool your tastebuds from the spice if you do end up getting the crazy chili paste.

But uh...the MSG. Although he *claims* there's no MSG, both me and the BF get SUPER thirsty right after eating there. Maybe he claims there's no "added" MSG, but man, the broth sure taste delicious enough to have tons of MSG in it. You'll also notice in the back he sells lots of veggie broth boullion cubes that have tons of MSG. Hmmm...

Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely not on the anti-MSG bandwagon. I figure, if MSG was that bad, there wouldn't be so many Chinese people alive in China, right? They use MSG as a spice there! I just think it's a wee bit deceptive to advertise your restaurant as no MSG if you're not.

MSG isn't bad for you as many people claim to it to be, its nothing like high fructose corn syrup. If you get headaches from food with MSG its actually from the sugars in it and you may be a celiac or so I've heard.

Mudkips

Banned
^Wut.
If anything, MSG is worse than HFC.
There are demonstrable effects of bad shit from MSG, and many people are in fact allergic.

They're both safe in any sane quantity though. I wouldn't worry about either, nor would I suggest anyone else worry about it.

Then again, I'll always prefer no-MSG (because I think it's cheating, and it because gives all the stuff a similar flavor that diminishes the actual food's flavor), and no HFC, because sugar is awesome.

I buy the "NO SUGAR ADDED" juices because they actually contain MORE grams of sugar, and taste sweeter! :lol This is true (at least) for some Juicy Juice flavors and some V8 stuff I believe.

etiolate said:
There are certain cell walls which your stomach and body do not break down well. This is why you should always chew your corn well. This is why you have corn and nuts in your poop.

Only one enzyme has been found in any animal to fully break down corn - it's only in the stomach of some termite.
No other animal is known to be able to completely digest corn.

Bullshit, I had a friend who was vegetarian, eating with him was such a pain in the ass because it the place had to have fries/potatoes/vege burgers/pasta.

I live in Cali and even sometimes there are some places I just can't go with him. Does that mean I'm not his friend? No I consider him my best friend but I'm not gonna let him get in the way of my gastronomical enjoyments, he can either sit there and watch me or I'll just not call him up.

Point is that you don't go out of your way to not invite him. Again, this really isn't a problem in So Cal. Just about all the good places have stuff. Even Fogo De Chao's has great salad, cheese bread and mashed potatoes, while you can devour meat.

Sounds like you haven't looked around enough, but you didn't say where in Cali, so where are you located? So Cal in particular doesn't really have this problem. Hell, evenout in Julian they have "Natural Apple Pies" (also delicious)

Has anyone made their own mock meat? I'm not crazy about some that I have tried in Asian restaurants (over seasoned),but it seems like it would be fun to try and make it from scratch.

Zyzyxxz said:
ugh. IMO the worst kind of vegan. I'm all against animal cruelty and all but I will never place an animal's life above any human, unless the person was a real monster.

I don't see why we have this moral dilemma over whether its right to eat animals since no other creature in nature ponders this.

No other creature in nature (as if we live in "nature") ponders anything.

Lelielle

I'm a lacto-ovo and sometimes fish eating vegetarian, I'm not against the eating of meat -I would just hope that people would eat less and eat meat from ethical sources (free range, grass fed beef, oceanwise fish types etc.). We are sharing the planet with a ton of other animals, and we are all connected and each one plays a role in keeping things balanced. Even though they might not have the same intelligence/self awareness they are all important and deserve our respect- I mean, look at bees, they are an insect.. but without them we would be pretty screwed.

tenritsu

Banned
Jake. said:
mock chicken > real chicken.

Dude, I've had fake chicken before, or at least it's called vegetarian chicken. They don't make it the same consistency or even taste remotely like chicken, but it's so god damn tasty.

Crap I want some now :(

Russell

josephdebono said:
1. If God/Nature didn't want us to kill/harm animals he/it wouldn't have made them so damn tasty.
What a stupid thing to say.

josephdebono said:
2. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU GUYS HAVE AGAINST PLANTS? WHAT HAVE PLANTS EVER DONE WRONG, YOU WANKERS?? Sure I eat animals, and I eat plants. But I don't discriminate! You're just specifically saying that you don not mind that plants are killed for your enjoyment and sustainment. As for me, I don't care either way.
Yet another stupid thing to say.

Look, it isn't right to kill conscious entities for food. Really, it's as simple as that. If you cannot grasp why, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

derder

YES!!!

I've been to one. My little bro was diagnosed with vegetarianism about a year ago. I have to say... they have it figured out. Its definitely worth trying, although I don't think I could afford to eat it exclusively.

Zyzyxxz

Boombloxer said:
Point is that you don't go out of your way to not invite him. Again, this really isn't a problem in So Cal. Just about all the good places have stuff. Even Fogo De Chao's has great salad, cheese bread and mashed potatoes, while you can devour meat.

Sounds like you haven't looked around enough, but you didn't say where in Cali, so where are you located? So Cal in particular doesn't really have this problem. Hell, evenout in Julian they have "Natural Apple Pies" (also delicious)

well you dont have my vegetarian friend who happens to be a pretty shitty vegetarian. One who doesn't eat his veges.

Let me break it down for you:

Fries, pasta, pizza, vege burgers. His palate is quite limited so when he finally gave it up at so many years at it I was rejoicing.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
The pics in the OP look delicious. I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I'd like to try that. Do those restaurants have any specific name or something? I want to look for one around my city.

Russell said:
What a stupid thing to say.

Yet another stupid thing to say.

Look, it isn't right to kill conscious entities for food. Really, it's as simple as that. If you cannot grasp why, then there is something seriously wrong with you.

Unfortunately what a lot of vegans don't grasp is that consciousness and sentience are emergent properties of the brain, and if its exclusive to humans, then you can't really make an ethical objection to the consumption of other animals.

Mudkips

Banned
Russell said:
:lol

It's not only right, it's delicious.

Also - plants aren't conscious entities?
They react to external stimuli just like many other entities.
They do so in an active manner in order to survive.

Are virii conscious entities?
What about cultures of bacteria (yogurts, cheeses, leavened breads, alcohol)?
What about small parasites?
What about large parasite?
What about insects?

Where do you draw the line?
Let me guess: At some arbitrary point that provides a balance between your guilt and your convenience?

Mudkips

Banned
MaestroRyan said:
Question: Why do vegan restaurants do this? I mean, isn't the point of the vegan lifestyle to not eat meat? I mean, those who choose to be vegans are certainly opposed to it. So why would you want to pretend to eat meat?

Answer: So they can drag their friends out to eat with them, so they can post threads on the internet using pictures as a defense, etc.

Russell

You know that one thing that most distinguishes human beings from animals? Well, it seems clear to me that some of you are on the lower end of the development scale in that department.

It's a good thing there's something called karma. If you don't correct your ways, you'll get what you deserve.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Russell said:
How do you define 'conscious' and how do you determine that animals have it? [and that plants do not]

why is it wrong to eat clams or scallops, for example?

Russell said:
It's a good thing there's something called karma. If you don't correct your ways, you'll get what you deserve.

i've got bad news champ.

MaestroRyan said:
Question: Why do vegan restaurants do this? I mean, isn't the point of the vegan lifestyle to not eat meat? I mean, those who choose to be vegans are certainly opposed to it. So why would you want to pretend to eat meat?

Question: do these meals have any meat in them? Jesus people, it's not that hard. At all.

Mudkips

Banned
Russell said:
You know that one thing that most distinguishes human beings from animals? Well, it seems clear to me that some of you are on the lower end of the development scale in that department.

What is that one thing? Tell me.

DemiMatt

this reminds me of that Ghost In the Shell SAC episode.

We were actually talking about this at work today during lunch. My co worker says it still tastes like meat flavoured tofu.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Mudkips said:
What is that one thing? Tell me.
usexl.jpg

Russell

On this planet, the lives of living entities must be taken by the lives of other living entities in order to live. The problem is human beings are taking the lives of the wrong entities (animals), when they should only be taking the lives of the right entities (plants).

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
MaestroRyan said:
Because they like meat? I'm sure most vegans despise the slaughtering of animals, not meat as food. This way they can be coherent with their stance and still enjoy a varied cuisine. I'm sure if somebody managed to grow pork meat in the form of watermelons they wouldn't have any objections eating it. The main point is to avoid killing animals. No offense but as a normal omnivore like the rest of you I can't understand why people are so obnoxious and (intentionally?) fallacious when talking about vegetarianism.

KHarvey16

Russell said:
On this planet, the lives of living entities must be taken by the lives of other living entities in order to live. The problem is human beings are taking the lives of the wrong entities (animals), when they should only be taking the lives of the right entities (plants).

Russell said:
You aren't going to change any of their minds. Don't bother arguing stuff like this.

Russell

blame space said:
You aren't going to change any of their minds. Don't bother arguing stuff like this.
They're free to do whatever they want. However, in the end, they're not going to be able to escape the consequences of their choices.

Russell said:
They're free to do whatever they want. However, in the end, they're not going to be able to escape the consequences of their choices.

If you're referring to the superior musculature, robust skeletal system, formidable immune system, and excellent dental health that come with a healthy omnivorous diet, I'm prepared to live with those consequences.

Ripenen

Russell said:

What about carnivorous animals? They choose to eat other animals, so is it OK for us to eat them as a sort of retribution? Could I eat a diet of wolves and sharks and bears and still be safe karma-wise?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Price Dalton said:
If you're referring to the superior musculature, robust skeletal system, formidable immune system, and excellent dental health that come with a healthy omnivorous diet, I'm prepared to live with those consequences.

kpop100 said:
Next up is a mock of this

funny-pictures-huge-burger-F27.jpg

:lol This reminds me of my once vegan friends. They constantly went to In-n-Out and ordered a cheese burger with no meat. They thought they were clever till I told them that the grill the burgers were used still had the grease from the meat. They stopped eating there for a year or so before ending their vegan ways. :lol

Also, why attempt to imitate meat?
tofu.jpg

Stuff like this looks so much more appetizing then the fake meat wannabes.

Russell

Price Dalton said:
That's what you think.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Russell said:
That's what you think.
25gsze1.jpg

it must really burn you up that meat eaters live long, healthy and happy lives enjoying the finest of foods while you're stuck chewing beans.

methos75

Banned
Its a scientific fact that the consumption of meat leads to the development of intelligence, if we were to go to an all Vegan diet, sooner or later this would lead to the actual decrease in intelligence of our species. I rather choke a chicken to death, than see that happen.

andycapps

Russell said:

I'm trembling in my shoes for the days when animals all over the world unite to to kill all of us omnivores. Problem is, they're going to first have to kill a vast amount of themselves that also eat meat. I think we should be able to take on the remainder.

In relating to the topic, I actually like some vegetarian stuff and even some vegan stuff as long as it's done right, which usually to me means that I don't want it imitating meat. I like a lot of Indian food that is frequently vegetarian and don't miss the meat at all due to the excellent flavors. Some of the imitation meat in the frozen section that imitates chicken patties is ok. There are some black bean burgers that I like as well. Made some awesome Pad Thai a few weeks ago that had chicken and some tofu in it, and it was good. I'm fine with tofu as an extra protein source but it doesn't have much taste on it's own, you have to flavor it pretty well with spices and such.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
face_777 said:
Much better than meat, and just as tasty and versatile.

I doubt you could make stock from it

blame space said:
No other creature in nature (as if we live in "nature") ponders anything.

apes certainly ponder things

Esperado

Rorschach said:
Except the ones whose homes are destroyed/burned to clear a path to grow the soy. Your mere existence as a consumer will harm animals, sorry.

And the animals that the guys and gals who pulled the crops eat and have eaten. The machinery also killed some stray animals too. Not to mention all the meat that probably went into the bodies of those creating that machinery. Hell, the guys who built your house ate meat. Everything ever created by man has the involvement of meat somewhere directly or indirectly. Our brainpower was a direct result of eating animal proteins. You wouldn't be able to make the choice not to eat meat without it. Hell, the ability to design your house, car, television, vcr, etc. all came from the consumption of meat. You're living a lie.

Kinitari said:
Shit like that upsets me, because you know NO one ate that. That could feed me for weeks! Or at least 2 days. Better hope that didn't go in the trash.

I went to the link and found out that some of it wasnt even cooked all the way. That does more than upset me. It upsets my stomach

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not eating animal protein on moral grounds I can empathize with, even if I disagree that bodies evolved to eat a range of foods are not in some way being shortchanged by a true vegan diet.

However, the no milk thing is just hyperbolic craziness and hyper cartoon liberal conditioning that makes people despise, at some level, existing at all and being human.

If the cow is being treated nicely* and having is freaking tits squeezed, it does not matter if it's a calf or another animal drinking the milk.

*I do however dramatically disapprove of the mechanized animal farms that do abuse cattle. FYI, I can at least rationalize my conscience in that I live in a rural area and tend to buy a brand of milk that's regional. The farms around here are oldschool and pretty nice. In fact, my house borders a free range cattle ranch and when we take walks, we get to visit the cows at the fence.

tenritsu

Banned
beelzebozo said:
the idea that fake chicken tastes better than real chicken is so laughable. fucking stockholm syndrome.

Have you ever had fake chicken of the chinese variety? It's got like bamboo shoots in the middle and such. It is fucking tasty. I'm no vegetarian/vegan, so I eat both, and both are delicious.

Most people who bag on chicken are probably preparing it incorrectly aka cooking it so the meat is too dry.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
tenritsu said:
Most people who bag on chicken are probably preparing it incorrectly aka cooking it so the meat is too dry.

yep. a chicken breast, cooked correctly, is a beautiful thing. overcook it, and it's a chalky mess.

optimiss

Zaptruder said:
In the future when vat grown meat becomes common place... I wonder if there'll still be such things as vegans.

I would totally switch to lab grown meat should it become available. My girlfriend however thinks the thought it utterly disgusting.

I fucking love mock meat vegetarian places. I have tried just about every one I can find in the Bay. My faves are Merit in Mountain View, Tofoo Com Chay in San Jose and this Chinese place in Berkeley.

Happycow.net is a great place to find mock meat restaurants in your area.

I also cook a lot of mock meat dishes at home. There are lots of little tricks to making the taste/texture seem real but it is worth experimenting with. My GF is vegetarian and she loves being abel to have some of her fave meat dishes without allt he guilt.

andycapps

tenritsu said:
Have you ever had fake chicken of the chinese variety? It's got like bamboo shoots in the middle and such. It is fucking tasty. I'm no vegetarian/vegan, so I eat both, and both are delicious.

That sounds freaking awesome. Had some form of Thai curry with bamboo shoots in it last weekend, freaking incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom