• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2x - Review thread

v1perz53

Glad to see this getting such universally good reviews, it really deserves it. I wonder how being on PS+ affected the sales of the DLC, if at all. I know I personally bought the DLC because it was free and I may not have otherwise, wonder if others did the same.

SerTapTap

I was having the same issue but that didn't help.

Is your TV set to No overscan/Justscan/1:1 pixel ratio? If you can, set that and max out the image size in the PS4 menu, should look good. Unless your TV is underscanning somehow. Ridiculous overscan still exists these days. Glad Sony at least made it a universal setting on PS4. Wii U does too and I think Xbox one?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Incorrect, actually.
-_-
We'll never know, will we?
Which means, it's speculating time. They said on the livestream about something about Sony providing the money to make the game (they were answering a DLC question "Why doesn't more copies = more DLC?") and how when it's used up they need to move on to the next game. Maybe it was Pub Fund or maybe it was a direct exchange. Maybe the compensation for Futurlab getting the money to be able to make the game was that it would be a PS+ title. The only hint I can think of of the situation is that when asked about a PC version, the response was "No plans" and not "No". But all that means is that Sony didn't traditionally publish the game.

I'm leaning towards the game existing because of PS+. If I could get a response on just that statement that'd be nice ;)

Jachaos

From what I recall, PS+ compensation varies on a case by case basis. I talked with the head of a studio that had its game featured for free on PS+ and he said they got a fixed amount of money up front that really helped finance the game while they were looking for ways to add to their funding. The simple fact it got featured on PS+ was what was missing for them to also be able to access some governmental fund.

So sometimes, the simple fixed amount + rise in other console sales or PC sales from word of mouth and new articles on the game + if the game has DLC, those all can make sense for a studio to feature their game on PS+.

Wow excellent review scores. Never seen this game before today, but all I remember is people complain about how bad ps+ was this month. Looks like a blast, downloading now.

From what I recall, PS+ compensation varies on a case by case basis. I talked with the head of a studio that had its game featured for free on PS+ and he said they got a fixed amount of money up front that really helped finance the game while they were looking for ways to add to their funding. The simple fact it got featured on PS+ was what was missing for them to also be able to access some governmental fund.

So sometimes, the simple fixed amount + rise in other console sales or PC sales from word of mouth and new articles on the game + if the game has DLC, those all can make sense for a studio to feature their game on PS+.

The DLC is angle I find fascinating. Like Resogun probably had a very successful DLC launch I would imagine. Plus brings huge exposure and enables the dev to sell some DLC to rake in some extra cash. I know some may see that in a cynical light, but I think it is smart so long as the core game is complete and doesn't need the DLC.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
After playing the first 15 stages or so I'm not quite getting how this is getting such high reviews. It feels weirdly disjointed between the side scrolling and shoot them up parts, and aside from the teleport mechanic, feels a bit rote.

Nice scores. Velocity Ultra wasn't my bag but I'll of course check this out thanks to Plus. Congrats to the devs, Shahid and the team.

Amir0x

Banned
Glad I got my vita with me at times like this.

Vita is like a swan song of all gaming dedicated handhelds for me

I feel like when I put it to rest I can put the gaming dedicated handheld chapter of my life peacefully to a close, since I doubt these sorts of handhelds will exist for many more gens hehe

Vire

Holy crap, amazing reviews. I can't say I'm crazy about the art for this game, but I'd be crazy to not at least try it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Vita is like a swan song of all gaming dedicated handhelds for me

I feel like when I put it to rest I can put the gaming dedicated handheld chapter of my life peacefully to a close, since I doubt these sorts of handhelds will exist for many more gens hehe
Agreed. Its hit a nice stride of games that are not a 'home console feel' but something I can pick up and play wherever. Which is what it should be.

I'm without my ps4 on this deployment and vita is hitting all the right notes as of late. Just beat hotline miami yesterday and looking forward to the sequel.

After playing the first 15 stages or so I'm not quite getting how this is getting such high reviews. It feels weirdly disjointed between the side scrolling and shoot them up parts, and aside from the teleport mechanic, feels a bit rote.

You're killing my hype! Though seriously - anyone else feel similarly?

Another 12 hours to go!

Thought they went up as soon as it turns AM. Oh well.

You're killing my hype! Though seriously - anyone else feel similarly?

Thought they went up as soon as it turns AM. Oh well.

Um no. Game is fantastic. Both aspects are done extremely well and you are moving at break neck speeds to get perfect scores. There is some adjustment to be made between modes but you get used to it.

Amir0x

Banned
Um no. Game is fantastic. Both aspects are done extremely well and you are moving at break neck speeds to get perfect scores. There is some adjustment to be made between modes but you get used to it.

Yup. It's astonishingly well made.

People who hate hard games which test you if you want to score high need not apply. I know people hate when games require skill and all that, so fair warning to those who haven't played it yet.

I cannot get over how impressed I am with this game, and i own both versions of velocity. I'm glad this is getting some coverage. No one I know has heard of the first.

oggob

Damn EU store updating a day later... fuck being in Australia which means it could be midnight when it goes live...

This will dominate my Vita until Danganronpa drops next week.

Yup. It's astonishingly well made.

People who hate hard games which test you if you want to score high need not apply. I know people hate when games require skill and all that, so fair warning to those who haven't played it yet.

That is true. It is a game that rewards skill and in a very satisfying way. However, if you don't care about getting all trophies or collecting everything it is very forgiving at the same time. Anyone that plays it will be able to beat it, just not be able to perfect it.

Fantastic scores. Is this game PlayStation exclusive for now? I'd love to play it but I only have a decent PC. I noticed that Velocity and Velocity Ultra both got PC releases but checking the wiki only PlayStation platforms are listed for 2X. Anyone know if this is also coming to PC?

cafemomo

Nice to see others enjoy Velocity.
Yeah velocity 2x was a good game. was surprised to see myself enjoy a indie game :p

My friend enjoyed reviewing it, and I also gave a very favorable 2nd opinion towards it.

If we gave out scores, it would of have been a 5/5.

Ya'll peeps with PS+ better get it.

Damn EU store updating a day later... fuck being in Australia which means it could be midnight when it goes live...

This will dominate my Vita until Danganronpa drops next week.
Earliest we have had since daylight savings change is 11pm AEST, some games tend to slide up onto PSN early though, hope this is one of them!

Fantastic scores. Is this game PlayStation exclusive for now? I'd love to play it but I only have a decent PC. I noticed that Velocity and Velocity Ultra both got PC releases but checking the wiki only PlayStation platforms are listed for 2X. Anyone know if this is also coming to PC?

Highly likely to hit PC eventually. They are only a small dev studio so even going PS4/Vita at launch is a big step up! I doubt Sony have them locked up for eternity.

Highly likely to hit PC eventually. They are only a small dev studio so even going PS4/Vita at launch is a big step up! I doubt Sony have them locked up for eternity.

Ah okay awesome. Thanks for responding. I guess I can look forward to this in the future then. In the meantime I guess there's always the original Velocity and Velocity Ultra; both of which are available for PC. Just looks like an awesome game with some amazing review scores and I don't want to miss out. It looks like exactly the kind of game I would love.

Vire

Played it for a bit and can't say I'm completely understanding the scores. Environmental diversity is next to none, we are treated to the same bland lab interiors over and over and I don't really like the mechanic of controlling how fast the screen scrolls in the shmup portions. I'd prefer if the screen just auto scrolled incredibly fast at all times, forcing the player to make split second decisions. As it stands now, the levels don't feel designed in a way where you can constantly hold the boost down and still get perfects and instead forces the player to do a more stop and start play style. The on foot sequences are a lot more fun in my opinion, but that too isn't ideal with the control setup. I don't like constantly taking my thumb off the right stick to teleport with square. It would be better if that was mapped to left trigger instead, maybe something takes that place later on, but I didn't see the ability to remap.

Also, this is a bit nitpicky but they should definitely show you the time needed to get a perfect on the heads up display. Instead, the player is left to guess what kind of time is needed to get the highest possible score.

At least I like the music... I'll keep trucking along though!

EmmaExegames_

Neo Member
Hey everybody, first post!

Sorry for the self plug, but I got a review code a couple weeks ago and reviewed the game today :)

My review on youtube: http://t.co/Mh6CNvRQdv

Really really enjoyed it and gave it a 4/5, but probably translates to a 9/10 on the traditional rating scale.

Looking forward to pushing towards the platinum!

Gray Matter

Man oh man this game is awesome.
as expected.

For some reason, I prefer playing it on the PS4 instead of my vita.

So if you're only on PSN, that can be a problem to get more? Interesting. I'm not sure why there hasn't been some journalism on this, while we've had plenty on other digital game buying outlets.

Top Bottom