• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venture Beat: Nvidia CEO believes Switch will blow you away

Scrawnton

This thread is full of everyone pointing out the negatives in everything. Wow. I guess Switch recently murdered half of the posters' extended family members to get this type of response.

..............wat

-researches-

uh yeah your right.

Why did i think the Shield handheld and Shield TV were similar??

The handheld predates x1 by a few years.

Funny thing is the Sheild TV's tiny motherboard looks like it's been ripped out of an ergonomic handheld that was never announced.

Davey Cakes

Sounds like Switch will be a fun system to play games on.

That's all you have to take away from it.

People read too much into things and get all cynical. Just expect some simple and good Nintendo entertainment, and accept anything "impressive" about the hardware as a bonus. YMMV anyway, since gaming is an enthusiast pastime and is wholly subjective.

Plum

"This is just a PR statement, you shouldn't read too much into it."

*GAF proceeds to read everything negative from it*

I mean come on, it is just a PR statement, you shouldn't take anything from it good or bad.

Soroc

and safe for young people,

This is my only concern. I sure hope Nintendo figured out Parental Controls finally and won't obstruct and wall off communications or make you jump through ridiculous hoops to be able to communicate as an adult with friends on this thing.

Don't screw up your online Nintendo, I'm all for the safety of children but there are better ways then what they have executed so far.

Kimawolf

there are some cynical bastards in this thread. come on now lets not turn this positive statement into something negative.

oh seems im too late.

DJIzana

This is my only concern. I sure hope Nintendo figured out Parental Controls finally and won't obstruct and wall off communications or make you jump through ridiculous hoops to be able to communicate as an adult with friends on this thing.

Don't screw up your online Nintendo, I'm all for the safety of children but there are better ways then what they have executed so far.

SHOULD that actually be true, this is why I'm glad I also own a PS4. I don't play on my PC much so I don't have to spend on a 3rd system yet, luckily but having both PS4 and Switch, I think, will cover the best of both worlds. ;D

Cuburt

I'm surprised by the amount of stuff they've crammed into the device, going by the patents, and I think I could be surprised by the power for the form factor combined with the price point. Considering a lots of details were already leaked about the device before the Switch reveal and I wasn't really impressed to see those things, but have come around to even be impressed by aspects of it nf how it all comes together.

I don't expect to be wowed by some secret functionality or the power beyond whatever we already know about it.

AzaK

Luckily we have alot of not so silly hype on the software part, which obviously is hard to believe for people like you who only like to focus on hardware power.

But the software is always a given. Any Nintendo console will have Mario, Zelda and now Pokemon, Animal Crossing etc. There's no real surprises there. The hardware capabilities are what's actually interesting. Whether that be POWA level or direct-to-brain-comms or whatever.

For me I couldn't care less whether it's portable, or what the clocks are undocked. I want a beefy, interesting console that plays Nintendo and third party games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
For me I couldn't care less whether it's portable, or what the clocks are undocked. .
Don't buy it.
I want a[n] interesting console that plays Nintendo and third party games.
Switch will likely be an interesting console by design, with few AAA 3rd party games, most middle tier 3rd party games from 3DS, indies and mobile games with proper controls + all Nintendo games on a single system, powered by all the control schemes you can think of.

You may have a pleasant surprise.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The CPU in the Air 2 eats Switch's/X1's for breakfast, but yeah, the GPU in the Switch is waaaay better.

The iPad Pro would be a better comparison - but even then the X1 has a better GPU (marginally). Falls short on CPU again.
Yes, got confused.

Shield Portable: Tegra 4
Shield Tablet: Tegra K1
Shield TV: Tegra X1

iPad Air 2 SoC compares to the K1; the iPad Pro compares to the X1. The thing is that the iPad Pro is a device that costs $700, so again, a really unfair comparison. And you get two small controllers with every device.

As a handheld the Switch is really impressive, let's hope the battery life is good (who am I kidding, we will get 3 hours...), but not Xbox ONE impressive.

hatchx

Banned
Although this sounds like obvious PR-speak, I cannot contain my excitement. I am so hyped. I don't think we've ever had a Nintendo reveal this big, this secretive, with games/console coming 2 months after reveal.

Hold me.

Knobiwan

Neo Member
To be fair, you didn't hear IBM go on about the WiiU or make page filling posts about the tech on their website. Nor did you hear DMP go on about the 3DS in a similar fashion. NVidia is admittedly a more show-offy company but still if there were embarrassing tech inside the Switch they wouldn't be saying squat.

Should be a remarkable piece of engineering that is more up to date than any Nintendo Console, however still falling short of the home console due to limiting tech. I have high hopes it impresses us in some way, though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think it shows extreme confidence in your product to call it Switch. Cause you know, if it doesn't live up to the hype it will forever after be known as the Bait and Switch.

Yes, got confused.

Shield Portable: Tegra 4
Shield Tablet: Tegra K1
Shield TV: Tegra X1

iPad Air 2 SoC compares to the K1; the iPad Pro compares to the X1. The thing is that the iPad Pro is a device that costs $700, so again, a really unfair comparison. And you get two small controllers with every device.

As a handheld the Switch is really impressive, let's hope the battery life is good (who am I kidding, we will get 3 hours...), but not Xbox ONE impressive.

Yup, iPad Pro is more expensive, though I wouldn't really use that as a comparison. The A9X in the iPad Pro (or A10 Fusion in iPhone 7, which seems to match or exceed A9X in performance) would probably cost as much to manufacture as the X1 in the Switch, and would be significantly cheaper than an equivalent Intel Core M if Apple were to use that cheap for instance in the Pro.

The problem is how Apple designs best-in-class mobile CPUs for performance and lack of throttling, but Apple only designs them for themselves -- theoretically Nintendo could stick an A9X into their own Switch device and it would still retail for $250. Nintendo's business model with Switch isn't going to afford them the same high margins as Apple can command with their devices (and Apple's progress is mostly enabled by economies of scale, DCI-P3 wouldn't have come to iPhone last year otherwise).

zeioIIDX

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/08/n...ng-vr-autonomous-cars-and-shield-tv/view-all/

The only Nintendo question in a press event about Nvidia's keynote at CES.

Huang: Nintendo Switch is a game console. It’s very Nintendo. That entire experience is going to be very Nintendo.

Will you say wow?

mugDz5m.jpg

Hindl

If Nintendo were smart they'd give Huang a time slot at the reveal Thursday to just evangelize about the tech. Dude really knows how to sell shit

Dr. A

Literally, blow you away.

HMKxp44.gif

if this GIF was reversed, the caption would be "Nintendo Switch sucks" 😁

On topic: it's best to be stay grounded and not get too hyped about the quote. As it has been stated before, Nvidia is invested in the Switch so they would obviously praise it. The use of the word myopic is bad though, he should have just said "narrowly focussed" instead

Top Bottom