• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Facebook says that Sony won the E3 conference war

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I saw a load of threads about hardware and the like, loads of Scorpio, a bit of PS4.5 stuff. Maybe I'm reading a different GAF, but very little stood out as interesting in terms of games for any of the conferences. At least from thread titles. Spiderman is a thing then?

I mean I guess its possible but really? Its E3 week and the entire front page is full with nothing but new consoles, big reveals, and previews of all these games from every studio and publisher. So yeah I'm not sure what GAF you're reading, even right now the front page is full of threads about E3 games and such.

Edit: Or did I take the bait?

MacTag

Banned
But I don't see any relevant data on Twitter about what was the most talked about conference or if more people talked about the conference there, so why even bring that up?
Because this chart doesn't seem to measuring actual conference responses but just general pre-E3 response. Otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be included as they had no conference or even pre-E3 press outside a couple newswire text blurbs.

timlot

Banned
Would love to know who's leading conversation post conferences. Just cruising through forums and gaming sites there "seems" to be some anecdotal evidence of whats being talked about.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sony save E3, it went from disappointment after disappointment to people jumping out there seats with joy multiple times throughout Sony's conference.

Petrae

Sony's event was the one I preferred. More show, less tell. Despite the VR stuff (which I have less than zero interest in), there were decent new reveals and stuff that genuinely surprised me.

Microsoft, meanwhile, went from having me on the hook to upgrade from my 360 to an Xbox One S in the opening minutes of the show to making me not want one with the Scorpio reveal just 80 minutes later. That's some pretty shitty salesmanship. Microsoft's event also lost points with me because there were no surprises (the whole thing was leaked) and the constant cutaways from direct full- screen footage to shots of the stage/crowd/players/other crap.

Nintendo's thing did zero for me. Pokémon segment went on way too long, new open/empty world Zelda was not appealing to me at all.

Walshicus

I mean I guess its possible but really? Its E3 week and the entire front page is full with nothing but new consoles, big reveals, and previews of all these games from every studio and publisher. So yeah I'm not sure what GAF you're reading, even right now the front page is full of threads about E3 games and such.

Edit: Or did I take the bait?

No bait. That's what I mean, I'm seeing hardware stuff we already knew about, system updates and a handful of B tier games.

I thought E3 polls were binary on GAF. As in you just check the box for the company you're voting for at the top of the page. I didn't remember it being a situation where you vote in your post and explain why like Game Of The Year GAF.
If its an open poll and an open thread, you get an opportunity to discuss your opinion on why you voted as such. It wouldn't be about Facebook or Twiiter, or other websites; It would be GAF exclusive, which is more important/useful to that effect.

In my universe/mind, ideals can be swayed by facts and good opinions. Maybe I'm in the minority in that regard, but maybe thats just me. I know why Sony won in my and other's head, but I want to go further, deeper than that.

Edit: Admittedly, after the initial crop of GoW4 gifs and posts on my Facebook feed, I saw A LOT of positive Zelda: BotW feedback. It definitely deserves it; its was visually stunning, and the new concepts (Freezing water into blocks to crosses lakes/rivers, using the environment to attack enemies, HANG GLIDING!!!) were awesome. It made me want to grab a Wii U for it, and a N64/SNES to revisit my childhood. Nintendo always gets me in the feels department.

Jeffrey

it's a strange metric, there are more ps4 owners than wii u or xb1, kinda makes sense more folks were engaged in conversation with the sony conference?

Also the timing of the Sony conference happening after the work day is over in America helped.

It's not like your average ps4 owner is going to skip a day of work to watch the MS conference.

Prophane33

Was Facebook watching the same conference as I was? Sure, Sony wasn't the worst, but it was far from the "winner". Microsoft finally convinced me to buy an Xbox One; whereas, Sony made sure I didn't regret being a PS4 owner, and I applaud their trailer heavy conference, but the ending came across like a fart in church.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
No bait. That's what I mean, I'm seeing hardware stuff we already knew about, system updates and a handful of B tier games.

I'm not sure what to say. I'm looking at the front page now and can see a thread about Death Stranded, A Horizon Zero Dawn thread, a God of War thread, a Zelda thread, and thats at just a glance of half the page. Plus all the other E3 news. It moves fast of course but I see a lot of topics on the big games constantly.

I'd say just do some searches perhaps, there is a ton of info out there about so many games. Really one of the best E3's in terms of real meaty info about so many different games!

Asd202

it's a strange metric, there are more ps4 owners than wii u or xb1, kinda makes sense more folks were engaged in conversation with the sony conference?

Also the timing of the Sony conference happening after the work day is over in America helped.

It's not like your average ps4 owner is going to skip a day of work to watch the MS conference.

That works both ways because it middle of the night in EU (3 a.m) as opposed to late evening for MS.

jaypah

If its an open poll and an open thread, you get an opportunity to discuss your opinion on why you voted as such. It wouldn't be about Facebook or Twiiter, or other websites; It would be GAF exclusive, which is more important/useful to that effect.

In my universe/mind, ideals can be swayed by facts and good opinions. Maybe I'm in the minority in that regard, but maybe thats just me. I know why Sony won in my and other's head, but I want to go further, deeper than that.

Well for you and the sake of those like you I hope the mods open a voting thread. If not, this thread seems to also function as a "why Sony won" thread, like many other E3 threads. The "poll" aspect just seems trivial for what your end goal is. You could have a general E3 discussion thread and have the same debates and conversations.

nynt9

Take 10 steps back, it was still a much stronger conference. Sony put on a show, MS replicated what they did last year and fumbled throughout. And some games were not even displayed well. It was messy.

- GOW was leaked
- Spider-Man was leaked
- Sony bend was leaked
- Neo was announced not to be there
- Somehting from Capcom was leaked

None of it mattered because Sony just had a superior presentation, and frankly what seems like more interesting games. Without leaks, you could have predicted over 50% of MS conference.

More so than that, even though some of the games leaked, we didn't know what they would play/look like and the end result was really surprising and impressive.

GOW4 with bearded Norse kratos was known, but not the tonal shift.
Spider man was known, but the trailer looked amazing.
Days Gone was Dead Don't Ride which sounded really stupid but the gameplay reveal was very convincing.
RE7 took everyone by surprise with the big direction change.

Games from MS were all either known or looked exactly how we expected them to look. Also, as per the other thread, Sony's games and presentation had more weight.

What I don't get is why they include Nintendo, yet the cut-off point is most likely right at or before Nintendo's E3 show even started. Why not gather data for the entirety of E3, as the "war" inevitably continues after the cameras stop rolling?

(Besides, Nintendo didn't even hold a "conference" in the first place)

Strange article/study.

Javelin

Neo Member
Would love to know who's leading conversation post conferences. Just cruising through forums and gaming sites there "seems" to be some anecdotal evidence of whats being talked about.

If you go past just Facebook it appears to be Microsoft with Zelda being the most talked about game.

That's odd. I've seen more thorough analysis that say Microsoft won conference-wise with Zelda being the most talked about game. https://www.brandwatch.com/2016/06/react-e3-2016-social-data-live-blog/

Conference-Comparison-12-15-June-1024x514.png

TOPGAMESUPTO15JUNE-CHART-771x1024.png

Though this is supposed to be more comprehensive of social media than just Facebook.

It's just a Facebook analysis people..all these charts and Twitter and all this other stuff is severely unnecessary. This pertains to Facebook only. They say Sony was most talked about on their site so by their logic they won e3. They were clearing justified in using the word war..jeez

Well for you and the sake of those like you I hope the mods open a voting thread. If not, this thread seems to also function as a "why Sony won" thread, like many other E3 threads. The "poll" aspect just seems trivial for what your end goal is. You could have a general E3 discussion thread and have the same debates and conversations.
I guess we are just mis-communicating. I don't want a Sony echo-chamber, I want to hear about what people liked, and why they liked it, that differs from my opinion. We aren't exactly getting that in this thread. A general E3 thread would suffice as well, but I like polls, too. Is that wrong? Have I done something to draw your ire? I apologize if so.

Sorry if I took up your time. Have a good day, good sir.

Well, Microsoft won. Surprising, because the exclusives didn't chart too high. Scorpio effect I gather? Is the consensus that they've 'begun' the next generation?

_Legacy_

Is it weird to anyone else to see sound reasoning why Sony held a better conference (Better pacing, more games, less filler, new IP, exclusives, Spider-Man(!!!)) but nothing of the sort for why either of the other two may have held one (More release dates)?

Do you really believe these games are not coming out? I would love some more information from the detractors. Zelda looked good as hell, but what did the MS conference show that was amazing/fresh/exciting? Sea of Thieves was good, but not that good.

Are we not doing a poll this year?

Case in point. You state your complaints about MS' show, but nothing about what excited you. Not even what you liked.

What did you like?

Bish always has the most interesting tags.

I loved Gears, Sea of Thieves and Forza. Forza in a very big way and I'll probably revisit the franchise, the maps and graphics looked gorgeous. Gwent reveal was cool and I was impressed by ReCore, admittedly not knowing what to expect.

What I don't get is why they include Nintendo, yet the cut-off point is most likely right at or before Nintendo's E3 show even started. Why not gather data for the entirety of E3, as the "war" inevitably continues after the cameras stop rolling?

(Besides, Nintendo didn't even hold a "conference" in the first place)

Strange article/study.

Yeah a few people have asked that but no one seems to try to answer...

Very strange methodology.

NolbertoS

Didn't know there was a conference war now, gonna have to conscript soldiers to do their patriotic duty for their consoles and dig in :D

But seriously, E3 was OK to me, there was some interesting games to be shown and nobody is willing to release Scorpio or Neo this year, it's like Nintendo first said, we'll pass NX for next year and Spny and MS followed. Guess all players are weary of being labelled old tech.

jaypah

I guess we are just mis-communicating. I don't want a Sony echo-chamber, I want to hear about what people liked, and why they liked it, that differs from my opinion. We aren't exactly getting that in this thread. A general E3 thread would suffice as well, but I like polls, too. Is that wrong? Have I done something to draw your ire? I apologize if so.

Sorry if I took up your time. Have a good day, good sir.

Well, Microsoft won. Surprising, because the exclusives didn't chart too high. Scorpio effect I gather? Is the consensus that they've 'begun' the next generation?

Lol, ire? I was just trying to figure out why have a poll. You said for debates and opinions and ideas and I still figured you could get that without a poll. Then you finally said you just like polls, which is absolutely fine and the answer that I had been asking you for. Nothing wrong or anything to apologize for. I swear E3 makes shit extra weird 😂

I loved Gears, Sea of Thieves and Forza. Forza in a very big way and I'll probably revisit the franchise, the maps and graphics looked gorgeous. Gwent reveal was cool and I was impressed by ReCore, admittedly not knowing what to expect.
I haven't checked out Gwent, as I haven't been interested in card games since Yu-Gi-Oh on PS1. ReCore looks awesome, I would love to try it. I have never liked Gears, I will admit, but I didn't put much time into it.

Forza, though. I like Forza a lot. The rewind feature in particular, because I'm a shitty sim driver. I've only tried the demo of Horizon 1 (where you race the plane; I won, first try :) ), and it was pretty fun. I haven't checked out the trailer, though. Haven't played many arcade racers since Burnout: Revenge and NFS:MW, but I'll check it out now.

Thanks for humoring me. I appreciate your opinions.

Lol, ire? I was just trying to figure out why have a poll. You said for debates and opinions and ideas and I still figured you could get that without a poll. Then you finally said you just like polls, which is absolutely fine and the answer that I had been asking you for. Nothing wrong or anything to apologize for. I swear E3 makes shit extra weird ��
Doesn't everyone like polls? I see less reason against it than for it. It draws people into a thread and brings about discussion. Not many people arguing not to have one. :/

E3 does make it weird, indeed.

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

I'd personally place it 3rd.

MS covered every base, and well
UBI (was a bit annoying, basically here because of For HonoUr.
SONY orchestra was a cool idea but the intro dragged...we were all bored, should have played into the game quicker. Horizon was the best thing.
BETHESDA cool Prey trailer, not much else
EA why did you even have an event? Why use time of it for Battlefield 1 if you have a stream of it after? Titanfall 3 should havr had more, the Mass Effect and Star Wars...too short, and pointless.

who goes to conferences to hear about what you already know?

Javelin

Neo Member

I don't think consensus has gone so far as to call it the next generation, but the new consoles were definitely big buzz drivers.
Most-mentioned-moments-Microsoft-1024x514.png

Starting with the Slim turned out to be a good move as it grabbed a lot of attention early on and Scorpio kept people talking.

I don't think consensus has gone so far as to call it the next generation, but the new consoles were definitely big buzz drivers.
Most-mentioned-moments-Microsoft-1024x514.png

Starting with the Slim turned out to be a good move as it grabbed a lot of attention early on and Scorpio kept people talking.
Wireless controller design made a huge spike, relative to the games at least. Is that the "Build A Controller" thing? That did seem pretty cool. (I liked the SNES controller scheme suggestion)

Something Sony should take note of, with complaints of build issues and battery life. Could be good for them.

Also, annoying that ReCore was so low relatively. That game looked great. I'm hoping for some kind of Voltron mode, to make things even more bombastic. Its gonna be a sleeper hit, definitely.

amdb00mer

So was it only capturing data for conference day, June 13th, or multiple days. If it was multiple days, then that is kind of skewed data, is it not.
"Facebook worked with Pulsar to track conversations about E3 on Facebook from June 7 to June 14."

Wagram

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

SONY orchestra was a cool idea but the intro dragged...we were all bored, should have played into the game quicker. Horizon was the best thing.
EA why did you even have an event? Why use time of it for Battlefield 1 if you have a stream of it after? Titanfall 3 should havr had more, the Mass Effect and Star Wars...too short, and pointless.

There's nothing quite like wanting to hear about Clubs on an E3 stage. You would need John Carmacks fake excitement for something like that. Keep that stuff to the blogs.

I like to look at the youtube vid views.

I am really shocked at how damn popular God of War is. The new trailer sits at 6 Million views already. It's crazy to think that NeoGAF was saying "We dont need another God of War". Detroit and Days Gone are close to crossing 1 million, while Horizon is past 1 million. The trailer from last year is around 4-5 million.

Zelda sits at around 5 Million views.

The biggest Xbox news is the Xbox One S, which has 7 million views, while Halo Wars has 4 million.

Though, Gears' trailer from like 2 months ago has a staggering 16 million views.

Hoo-doo

Banned

No, I don't get it.

You watch E3 for OS updates? Are you serious.

Sony's show was games from start to finish with zero bullshit in between. None. Kinda refreshing.

No, I don't get it.

lol we were all bored? haha no not me, i was not bored

Gurish

No, I don't get it.

Why? easy, cause Sony showed the best and most impressive line up of games at E3, that's what people care about, that they will buy or have the console with the best games regardless of waiting time.

And saying you were bored tells me you aren't objective in the slighest.

They absolutely killed E3.

They continued to provide exceptional value to existing PS4 owners. The fact that they did so well without talking about NEO is impressive.

Horizon continues to impress.
God of War caught people by surprise.
The Kojima game is early, but a megaton.
Sony Bend's game was a nice showing, too.

Sony killed it just because of presentation style.

Dark screen
some gameplay / CGI
... who is this? .what is this? ...
Title reveal
back to black, next game

It just built up hype after hype, I mean everyone was going nuts thinking "WAIT IS THIS LAST OF US 2????" during dam power center scene, and the entire Resident Evil 7 reveal was nuts.

By contrast, Microsoft was soooooooo corporate:

Lame random joke
"Here is Fred Guy from GameStudio"
"Hi, I'm Fred Guy from GameStudio here to talk about Game"
show game
"Well, thanks for that Fred Guy we look forward to seeing more about Game on the floor! Now lets bring out Frank Guy from StudioGame!"

No buildup, no hype, felt like you were scanning groceries at a checkout.

Yeah, the arbitrary cut-off is an inherent bias, IMO. Zelda's stats on Twitter dwarfed everything else, I can't imagine the same thing didn't happen on Facebook.

Not really. Facebook is larger than Twitter.

And yes, Sonys was head and shoulders above everyone else. Zelda isn't changing that for most people, especially when not enough of them have a WiiU anyway.

I was surprised to be on Facebook and seeing crash get shared over and over people I didn't even know played games.

Yup my girl. Who cares about the latest makeup from kylie jenner... loves Crash. As every single person in my family that dont play games because they have a connection to it when they were younger.

But I dont have faith in Activision at all.

Sony killed it with Spiderman.

Also I dont see how Zelda is hotshit. Looks like a inferior open world game. I think Horizon looks more impressive. Btw im not sure if its the YouTube quality but the art style hurts my eyes.

NastyBook

Sony resonated with people because a lot of people watch E3 to get a peek at what's coming in the future. They watch E3 for the surprises and spectacle. Sony gave us surprises and showed us actual gameplay, and that gets people excited. The dates do not matter for a lot of people.

They showed a new God of War going into a completely different direction. We got a date for The Last Guardian, confirming that that game is indeed finally coming out. They showed Resident Evil 7, also a game going in a new direction compared to its predecessor. We got VR games. We got a demo for Infinite Warfare that surprised / blew away a lot of people after the initial negativity. They had Kojima on stage showing his new project. It does not matter that Kojima's project is still a long way off; the point is that he is back and that he is doing something new, something unique, something he wants to do.

These are exciting things; big franchises going in new directions, a highly anticipated game finally getting a date, them showing confidence in VR, turning around public perception on an initially disliked game, a great creator showing of his new project after all of the shit he went through. Add to that excellent gameplay slices from stuff like Horizon and Detroit and a high-profile Spiderman game announcement, and I just find it hard to understand how you can't understand that people are excited for this stuff.

I have no issue with you personally not liking it, but I don't really get why you don't 'get' why this resonated so well with others.
I was gonna laugh at the dude, but I'll just quote this post and keep it moving instead.

Though, Gears' trailer from like 2 months ago has a staggering 16 million views.

Any trailer is that 1 minute long or less have view counts that can be somewhat deceptive, because their views are inclusive of pre-roll ads that did happen for Gears.

Another important thing to compare is the length of trailer. Generally speaking, the longer the trailer, the higher the chances that it gets lower views because it's not as bite-sized and easy to just go through at a glance.

Top Bottom