• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Facebook says that Sony won the E3 conference war

wachie

Surprisingly Microsoft still lost out to Nintendo. Sony won, that was obvious and no surprises there.

5jzJVZC.png

j0hnnix

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

I'd personally place it 3rd.

MS covered every base, and well
UBI (was a bit annoying, basically here because of For HonoUr.
SONY orchestra was a cool idea but the intro dragged...we were all bored, should have played into the game quicker. Horizon was the best thing.
BETHESDA cool Prey trailer, not much else
EA why did you even have an event? Why use time of it for Battlefield 1 if you have a stream of it after? Titanfall 3 should havr had more, the Mass Effect and Star Wars...too short, and pointless.

I must agree. While i loved the games showed nothing secured me in a purchase for a PS4 right now. I was ready to go out and buy one next day if i saw new games that made me want it more.. but no release dates/years killed the enthusiasms i had. While the MS Show was great it kind of left me re-thinking my console/pc decision and if i should ignore the new console revisions and just finish up my gaming pc. I might put MS on top and Sony #2.

Elios83

For what it's worth there wasn't a huge competition.
Nintendo focused on Zelda and Microsoft on the already announced games + hardware news.
Sony was the only one to bring surprises to the show this year.

Sjefen

One of the best thing with Sony's press conference was the absent of: exclusive content, exclusive dlc, play it first etcetc. The trailers did all the talking, I even got hyped for fucking Cod and I never buy cod games

Copenap

I'm not sure if this really is an indication of the quality of the conference (thiugh I agree that Sony easily was the most exciting) or if it's just a result of the PS4 being the market leader by far.

Salz01

I totally agree. I think Sony killed it this year. They did less talking, and did more showing. And what they showed looks great. And their overall presentation was top notch and very cinematic. I felt like they pushed the industry and medium forward.

EA doesn't get it. It's like they are trapped in the 80's with their presentation. I was so hyped for their show and left totally disappointed.

AmuroChan

I must agree. While i loved the games showed nothing secured me in a purchase for a PS4 right now. I was ready to go out and buy one next day if i saw new games that made me want it more.. but no release dates/years killed the enthusiasms i had. While the MS Show was great it kind of left me re-thinking my console/pc decision and if i should ignore the new console revisions and just finish up my gaming pc. I might put MS on top and Sony #2.

No release dates? TLG, Resident Evil, Horizon, Batman VR, COD all had release dates.

aBarreras

i cant read the article right now, but seeing that chart, they only took into consideration june 13 and a little bit of june 14, considering how the line is moving towards the end, ill like to know how is the chart for june 15 and posibly june 16

i mean, is obviously that nintendo wont get too much fuzz a day before their "presentation"

MacTag

Banned
Bigger is better when you are characterizing the conversations of the public

What does Twitter's results even say?
It's only better if it actually represents more of the engaged public on the specific issue. Even if Facebook is bigger it doesn't matter if more people on twitter were actually talking about E3. And that may have been the case given demographics though it's hard to know without solid numbers over a comparable window.

Zelda resonated with people by itself far more than Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, etc. etc.
Technically no, just the idea of Zelda by itself resonated more than GOW4, Forza Horizon 3, etc, etc. The facebook chart cuts off before Zelda was actually shown.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's only better if it actually represents more of the engaged public on the specific issue. Even if Facebook is bigger it doesn't matter if more people on twitter were actually talking about E3. And that may have been the case given demographics though it's hard to know without solid numbers over a comparable window.

Technically no, just the idea of Zelda by itself resonated more than GOW4, Forza Horizon 3, etc, etc. The facebook chart cuts off before Zelda was actually shown.

I'm fairly sure that line for Nintendo on the chart will keep going higher if we add on the next few days. You can even see far more chatter on GAF, there are tons of threads about Zelda and I've seen like a thread or two a piece for Forza Horizon 3 or Gears of War 4.

driver116

Im still shocked that Sony fanboys arent raging about Crash.. there was so much hype before E3. People believed Naughty Dog was gona make a new Crash game.

What they get is some remasters probably made by some poor activision studeio and Skylanders content.. and everyone seems ok with that lol.

Just bizarre..

Check out the "Crash Bandicoot Remastered" thread if once you've finished flamebaiting in this one.

_Legacy_

I'm not entirely convinced that is the best way to measure who won, the way I see it, there are nearly three times as many PS4 owners than XB1, so I'd expect to see more chatter about PS4 conference.

Personally, my only complaints about the MS conference were the Minecraft bit which lasted way too long for me and replaying the Battlefield 1 trailer which everyone had already seen, that made no sense.

Also, we need to remember the MS conference had the show line-up leaked (with 100% accuracy) and no one knew what to expect for Sony apart from a few rumours. Whether this is down to the Zheng Twitter guy having an agenda for Sony or he honestly did not receive any leaks for Sony, we'll never know I guess.

Sony conference was great, GoW is different, Horizon looks good and I liked the Detroit game. Spiderman exclusive is awesome and I still think Days Gone looks boring and was a weird way for Sony to end.

I personally think Sony edged it but it was closer than people think if you take a step back.

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

I'd personally place it 3rd.

MS covered every base, and well
UBI (was a bit annoying, basically here because of For HonoUr.
SONY orchestra was a cool idea but the intro dragged...we were all bored, should have played into the game quicker. Horizon was the best thing.
BETHESDA cool Prey trailer, not much else
EA why did you even have an event? Why use time of it for Battlefield 1 if you have a stream of it after? Titanfall 3 should havr had more, the Mass Effect and Star Wars...too short, and pointless.

Try to be less transparent.

Sotha_Sil

Not going to lie, Bethesda disappointed me. Even if they've got a small number of studios, it's a damn solid lineup (MachineGames and Tango Gameworks had very strong first game releases, Arkane is back from the dead with two full offices/teams, and Id is back to its former glory). That was my most anticipated show, and it was junk.

-BGS showed 2 item DLCs and virtually nothing of Nuka World. Todd Howard not even there.
-Prey was just CGI
-No Tango Gameworks
-No MachineGames
-No new side projects like TES Legends or Fallout Shelter, just updates on those two
-No DOOM single player expansion
-Quake is MP only, and sub'd out to an external group
-Talking about Blink 182 and free T-Shirts? Common, Pete.

+Dishonored 2 looks awesome, even if presented slowly
+Prey looks like an interesting idea (and we later found out MCA is somewhat involved, even if only peripherally!)
+Battlecry is no longer a game (it just wasn't coming together)

TheBeebs

Neo Member
This isn't surprising to me. I personally felt Sony kicked major ass this year.

Even though Nintendo had Zelda, it was probably the worst out of all of them.

I think gamers won. This console war crap is ridiculous.
Yea..staying on GAF all the time, you really can lose sight of this. People wanting to see new hardware and spec sheets versus amazing games, so backwards. New hardware, specs, VR, all of that is just tools to bring new software experiences to you.

I felt Sony, and Nintnedo really treated games as an art form, they both did something very unique and celebrated the medium in a way that brought fresh eyes to the scene. MS keynote style presentation didn't do anything for me.

Is it weird to anyone else to see sound reasoning why Sony held a better conference (Better pacing, more games, less filler, new IP, exclusives, Spider-Man(!!!)) but nothing of the sort for why either of the other two may have held one (More release dates)?

Do you really believe these games are not coming out? I would love some more information from the detractors. Zelda looked good as hell, but what did the MS conference show that was amazing/fresh/exciting? Sea of Thieves was good, but not that good.

Are we not doing a poll this year?

I'm not entirely convinced that is the best way to measure who won, the way I see it, there are nearly three times as many PS4 owners than XB1, so I'd expect to see more chatter about PS4 conference.

Personally, my only complaints about the MS conference were the Minecraft bit which lasted way too long for me and replaying the Battlefield 1 trailer which everyone had already seen, that made no sense.
Sony conference was great, GoW is different, Horizon looks good and I liked the Detroit game. Spiderman exclusive is awesome and I still think Days Gone looks boring and was a weird way for Sony to end.

I personally think Sony edged it but it was closer than people think if you take a step back.
Case in point. You state your complaints about MS' show, but nothing about what excited you. Not even what you liked.

What did you like?

Bish always has the most interesting tags.

Take 10 steps back, it was still a much stronger conference. Sony put on a show, MS replicated what they did last year and fumbled throughout. And some games were not even displayed well. It was messy.

- GOW was leaked
- Spider-Man was leaked
- Sony bend was leaked
- Neo was announced not to be there
- Somehting from Capcom was leaked

None of it mattered because Sony just had a superior presentation, and frankly what seems like more interesting games. Without leaks, you could have predicted over 50% of MS conference.

jaypah

Is it weird to anyone else to see sound reasoning why Sony held a better conference (Better pacing, more games, less filler, new IP, exclusives, Spider-Man(!!!)) but nothing of the sort for why either of the other two may have held one (More release dates)?

Do you really believe these games are not coming out? I would love some more information from the detractors. Zelda looked good as hell, but what did the MS conference show that was amazing/fresh/exciting? Sea of Thieves was good, but not that good.

Are we not doing a poll this year?

Read the thread. Read GAF for the last 2 days. I mean, sure if they hold a poll it'll certainly be Sony's win. They have my vote. But I'm not going to act like it wouldn't be redundant. Sony had a killer conference and there are more Sony supporters (supporters, not fanboys, though fanboys are here too) than any other console brand. I just don't see the point unless a person absolutely needs to see it written down. Which would be....yeah.

THIS IS WAR!

I do think Sony hit it out of the park and loved their new approach of just showing games/trailers, not much talking. No need to introduce such & such person and just show off the games.

There is a problem people have that state well the games Sony showed off who knows when they are coming out, for most of them while Microsoft shows off games that are available much sooner. They each have different takes on what E3 is for them and there is nothing wrong with either approach. Microsoft shows off the goods that you will see soon, year after year they do so while Sony shows off goods that you will see eventually. Again both have different formulas that work and their is nothing wrong with each.

And two of those are multi-plat. TLG is a niche group. Batman VR - remake with a headset(cool but not a whole new game).
Wtf type of reasoning is that? TLG is niche group? What does that even mean in relation to this discussion? Lol...never change GAF.

RE7 will be heavily tied to PS as well as it being the only place to play it on VR, which was kinda the whole point of it being at Sony's conference.

jett

D-Member
Sony resonated with people because a lot of people watch E3 to get a peek at what's coming in the future. They watch E3 for the surprises and spectacle. Sony gave us surprises and showed us actual gameplay, and that gets people excited. The dates do not matter for a lot of people.

They showed a new God of War going into a completely different direction. We got a date for The Last Guardian, confirming that that game is indeed finally coming out. They showed Resident Evil 7, also a game going in a new direction compared to its predecessor. We got VR games. We got a demo for Infinite Warfare that surprised / blew away a lot of people after the initial negativity. They had Kojima on stage showing his new project. It does not matter that Kojima's project is still a long way off; the point is that he is back and that he is doing something new, something unique, something he wants to do.

These are exciting things; big franchises going in new directions, a highly anticipated game finally getting a date, them showing confidence in VR, turning around public perception on an initially disliked game, a great creator showing of his new project after all of the shit he went through. Add to that excellent gameplay slices from stuff like Horizon and Detroit and a high-profile Spiderman game announcement, and I just find it hard to understand how you can't understand that people are excited for this stuff.

I have no issue with you personally not liking it, but I don't really get why you don't 'get' why this resonated so well with others.

Adding to this, it was just a really entertaining show. It moved at a breakneck pace showing game after game with very little downtime and almost no "talking heads" moments. I wouldn't even quality it as a conference. It was a show designed to entertain the viewer from start to end.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Also, we need to remember the MS conference had the show line-up leaked (with 100% accuracy) and no one knew what to expect for Sony apart from a few rumours. Whether this is down to the Zheng Twitter guy having an agenda for Sony or he honestly did not receive any leaks for Sony, we'll never know I guess.

Eh the MS conference was a slog to get through and even if it was leaked, none of the announcements were anything on the par of a Spiderman exclusive or a huge different and interesting looking God of War. Also how they revealed their new consoles was a bit of a misfire in my opinion and I think its as fair to criticize them as Sony for announcing a console a year and a half out.

sheamus

Most families only buy one game console. And Sony is the market leader in the world. It would be shocking if they didn't win.

Hell Microsoft went H.A.M last year and it still wasn't enough.

Read the thread. Read GAF for the last 2 days. I mean, sure if they hold a poll it'll certainly be Sony's win. They have my vote. But I'm not going to act like it wouldn't be redundant. Sony had a killer conference and there are more Sony supporters (supporters, not fanboys, though fanboys are here too) than any other console brand. I just don't see the point unless a person absolutely needs to see it written down. Which would be....yeah.
Sure, but at least REAL opinions could be stated, what games were exciting, getting down to the nitty-gritty. An open poll would be good to get the opinion of GAF, instead of downplaying the importance or relevance of Facebook's demographic.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. Its not up to me, though.

jaypah

Wtf type of reasoning is that? TLG is niche group? What does that even mean in relation to this discussion? Lol...never change GAF.

RE7 will be heavily tied to PS as well as it being the only place to play it on VR, which was kinda the whole point of it being at Sony's conference.

Speaking of such, will there be a PC version of RE7? If so I wonder why it wouldn't have VR support? Unless Sony paid for them to not include it, which would be a super bummer.

Sure, but at least REAL opinions could be stated, what games were exciting, getting down to the nitty-gritty. An open poll would be good to get the opinion of GAF, instead of downplaying the importance or relevance of Facebook's demographic.

I thought E3 polls were binary on GAF. As in you just check the box for the company you're voting for at the top of the page. I didn't remember it being a situation where you vote in your post and explain why like Game Of The Year GAF.

Walshicus

Are you serious? Did you even glance the page 1 of the gaming side of GAF in the last 3 days? Its been plastered with all the big Sony games and announcements.
I saw a load of threads about hardware and the like, loads of Scorpio, a bit of PS4.5 stuff. Maybe I'm reading a different GAF, but very little stood out as interesting in terms of games for any of the conferences. At least from thread titles. Spiderman is a thing then?

The Lamp

But I don't see any relevant data on Twitter about what was the most talked about conference or if more people talked about the conference there, so why even bring that up?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I saw a load of threads about hardware and the like, loads of Scorpio, a bit of PS4.5 stuff. Maybe I'm reading a different GAF, but very little stood out as interesting in terms of games for any of the conferences. At least from thread titles. Spiderman is a thing then?

I like your gimmick.

Top Bottom