• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Facebook says that Sony won the E3 conference war

I'm not being facetious, but I'm surprised by this as I'd not seen any conversation or discussion on Sony's conference. Did they announce anything?

God of War
TLG release date (October 25th)
Days Gone (New Sony Bend IP)
Showed some new Horizon gameplay
Resident Evil 7 that's fully playable in PSVR
Some new VR titles
Crash for Skylanders & Crash 1,2 and 3 remasters from the ground up on PS4
Death Stranding (New IP from Kojima)
Detroit gameplay
Spider-Man from Insomniac

I think that was everything? Bar the CoD: IW gameplay.

God of War
TLG release date (October 25th)
Days Gone (New Sony Bend IP)
Showed some new Horizon gameplay
Resident Evil 7 that's fully playable in PSVR
Some new VR titles
Crash for Skylanders & Crash 1,2 and 3 remasters from the ground up on PS4
Death Stranding (New IP from Kojima)
Detroit gameplay

I think that was everything? Bar the CoD: IW gameplay.

Spider-Man!

sheamus

Microsoft had a very good press conference but it was super safe and had to much PR talk.

Sony was all killer no filler

I'm not being facetious, but I'm surprised by this as I'd not seen any conversation or discussion on Sony's conference. Did they announce anything?
All their stuff is literally on the first two pages of gaf. Unless you were living under a rock,came up for air to watch everyone else conference went back into ya rock Patrick star style and came back up to click on this specific thread I don't see how you possibly don't know what they announced

Guess the Zelda/Ninty fans are more on Twitter? I actually wonder what the breakdown for this stuff was on Twitter as well. It always interest me to see what catches the general public's attention though its not that surprising, Elder Scrolls, God of War and Titanfall haha.

Look at the chart end date. It's literally the day of the Treehouse event. Nintendo didn't anything before the 14th and was trending upwards based solely on hype. It's a bit odd this didn't extend throughout the duration of E3. The trend lines being cut off arbitrarily are just odd, especially since they ignore talk from show floor demos

But yeah in terms of conferences I can see how Sony's won over MS's

Obvious. The conference/console that showed the most games, existing and new IP, multiplats and exclusives, had people talking the most. Take a poll on GAF, the results would concur.

Daedardus

Bit unfair that it ended on the start of June 14th, as that was the date of the Treehouse conference. They should have lengthened it to at least 15th/16th.

Phediuk

Best conference ever imo, from any company, and I've watched them all for as long as they've been streamed. Pretty much the only one in history where I haven't been bored at any point.

Navid

People have asked for less PR speak and just more games being shown at these press conferences for a long while and Sony delivered on that... so I'm not surprised that people liked it. Plus great looking games being shown off doesn't hurt either.

Sony needs to start a conference coordination division and sell their services to the other presenters in the future. That's two years in a row they unquestionably had the better show.

Atomski

Im still shocked that Sony fanboys arent raging about Crash.. there was so much hype before E3. People believed Naughty Dog was gona make a new Crash game.

What they get is some remasters probably made by some poor activision studeio and Skylanders content.. and everyone seems ok with that lol.

Just bizarre..

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the consensus is that Sony's conference was not only the best, but generated the most buzz.

It's because of their presentation. It's one thing to have content, it's another to know how to present it.

When people list the games shown, what's amazing is that that was literally the layout of the show. There was no bullshit, and it was games. Games, games, games. That's what we come to E3 for. Microsoft had talking, are you fucking kidding me with that Minecraft segment, for example? Now, MS wasn't as bad as some of their terrible conferences in the past, but in light of Sony's show, it pales.

"I'm tired of talking, show us games." - this is how a lot of people feel and Sony captured that.

Im still shocked that Sony fanboys arent raging about Crash.. there was so much hype before E3. People believed Naughty Dog was gona make a new Crash game.

What they get is some remasters probably made by some poor activision studeio and Skylanders content.. and everyone seems ok with that lol.

Just bizarre..

Most people don't care about Crash. Probably why it's just a remaster and not an actual new title. Maybe if sales for it indicate people care then Sony will consider a new entry.

The Lamp

Facebook also says Bernie Sanders won the election, I'll wait for a better source.

That's a bad comparison. With politics you're introducing the needed step of voting. With E3 conference comparisons, it's all about buzz and opinions.

Considering Facebook is the largest social network, it is the best metric for looking at this.

I caught bits and pieces of the Microsoft conference and it seemed like your typical E3 press conference, stark contrast to what Sony did this year. Very little talking, live orchestra, very artful, minimalist stage design, reel after reel of upcoming and unannounced titles.

Don't care who "won" because I was more interested in Sony's offerings to begin with. However, its very clear that these two companies have very different approaches to attaining the very same goal.

Competition is good.

Just bizarre..

Probably because most of the "Crash hype" was people clearly taking the piss.

Wait this chart is seriously tracking Facebook "volume" up to June 14th? As in, it ends the tracking before Nintendo's presentation even happened? Well then of course Twitter has different results, that was tracking including the day of June 14th!

Sony likely "won" with most people because they presented a very nice variety of games which for sure resonate with a lot of people, but I think that chart would look a bit different for Nintendo if you include the actual DAY OF THE ZELDA PRESENTATION.

Also to those of you who were claiming E3 would be disappointing well before E3 started, do you still feel that way? This E3 was better than last year's IMO, and last year's E3 was arguably the best ever.

I don't understand why...so many games shown that aren't released this year, have no release dates or years. No upgrades to the OS (which it doesn't get anyway) and a poor end (RDR3 trailer rumour is probably true though).

No, I don't get it.

I'd personally place it 3rd.

MS covered every base, and well
UBI (was a bit annoying, basically here because of For HonoUr.
SONY orchestra was a cool idea but the intro dragged...we were all bored, should have played into the game quicker. Horizon was the best thing.
BETHESDA cool Prey trailer, not much else
EA why did you even have an event? Why use time of it for Battlefield 1 if you have a stream of it after? Titanfall 3 should havr had more, the Mass Effect and Star Wars...too short, and pointless.
lol what? Dude Sony has released more games in the first half of the year and will release more games in the second half of the year as well over Xbox. This is a nonsensical narrative. Is the straws people are seriously grasping at? It's not even close that Sony had by far the best E3.

Just bizarre..
Sony fanboys...o boy, I guess Facebook was right in using the word war. The thread has 18 pages with no info and nothing to show for it besides a announcement.

Wollan

Sony showed tons of PlayStation exclusive games non-stop, several surprises, where a good amount of them was of very high quality, some absurdly so. The conference format was devoid of marketing speak (and pretty much any speech) which sent a strong message. Probably the most focused and condensed E3 presentation of all time.

Microsoft talked visions and promised a machine that's up to date with its release period 17 months from now (unlike XB1 which was severely underpowered fall-2013). Their games not very impressive and overshadowed by the competition.

Ck5qiMwWEAAjNE2.jpg:large

Ck57X6KWsAAHAYx.jpg

Just bizarre..
I'm annoyed tbh. It's annoying that Activision has this franchise. IMO Sony made a dumb decision here. I would have done to them what Marvel is doing with Xmen, let that franchise have 0 hype and then buy at some point when Activision raises their hands and admits it has no value. Sony will just raise its value and they will take it back again to ruin it like they did last time. Awful.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nearly twice as many people own PS4s, it's not really surprising that twice as many people were talking about Sony's show.

Look at the chart end date. It's literally the day of the Treehouse event. Nintendo didn't anything before the 14th and was trending upwards based solely on hype. It's a bit odd this didn't extend throughout the duration of E3. The trend lines being cut off arbitrarily are just odd, especially since they ignore talk from show floor demos

Yeah, the arbitrary cut-off is an inherent bias, IMO. Zelda's stats on Twitter dwarfed everything else, I can't imagine the same thing didn't happen on Facebook.

Top Bottom