• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vergil teased for DMC4:SE! (Also, DmC Definitive Edition trailer)

Neither did DMC3 though. They just let you pick Vergil when you hit New Game, and he kept his own saves. Cue another round of people overwriting their main saves.

I just don't see Capcom giving him his own campaign. It's expensive compared to just creating one character. They're better off (and more likely) pooling their resources to giving Vergil his own game. I can imagine DMC5 being about Vergil's downfall. Or maybe pre DMC3 showing how Vergil became obsessed with power.
I could see them doing it. They gave dMc a vergil campaign, and dmc4 has not gotten any dlc.. They could make it about vergil getting out of hell leading to dmc 5.. Otherwise I don't see many people buying dmc4 for 40 bucks just for vergil who aren't die hard fans.. I need more info capcom...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can't say I had much of a problem with the orb requirement in DMC4, it was simple in that the requirement was for only those orbs found in a level.

So it is pretty easy to get a good rank consistently and help prop up the rest of the score if you are lacking a little in time or style for a level.

Oh and I really, really hope they continue grading the entire level as they have been till now. Can't stand seeing a score screen pop up after every freaking fight in PG games.

Hunting for orbs, sometimes invisible orbs, is just not a good ranking requirement.

Did they fix that in the HD collection?

Since you have to select "New Game" to choose Vergil, I figured that everything was tied to the particular save. It sucks that people lost progress, though.

Astarte

I had a dream that Dante just puts on a VR helmet to play as Vergil and that there actually are new levels added for Dante. I think I'm losing it.

Astral Dog

It has to be something good, why update the game after all these years, for new consoles and not before?
They could had released it between DMC 4 and DmC.

But maybe that image is a bit too much, a Vergil campaign is not necessarily a "good business decision" .

Edit: Dante trolling Vergil fans with some VR shenanigans? i would be ok with that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It has to be something good, why update the game after all these years, for new consoles and not before?

But maybe that imagine is a bit too much, a Vergil campaign is not necessarily a "good business decision" .

The way I see it, this is a love letter to Japan and the fans worldwide. Vergil is a popular character in Japan, but I don't know if he alone is moving a ton of units in the states.

Akiller

I could see them doing it. They gave dMc a vergil campaign, and dmc4 has not gotten any dlc.. They could make it about vergil getting out of hell leading to dmc 5.. Otherwise I don't see many people buying dmc4 for 40 bucks just for vergil who aren't die hard fans.. I need more info capcom...

Yep, DMC3SE came out just one year after DMC3 but this time it's been Seven Smokin' Sick years, they can't just add PC version features+playable Vergil and call it a day.
They can.

Maybe Capcom said Itsuno:"Look, i know you want to make DMC5 but we don't want to risk for such a project and we don't exactly how to proceed after the DmC mess.I propose you this:come back to DMC4,try adding some ideas you had designed for it back then,make a sort of DMC4SE.Oh and Vergil of course,fans really love that guy.If the game will sell well and will be well received we'll talk about a sequel."

But maybe that image is a bit too much, a Vergil campaign is not necessarily a "good business decision" .

They obvious answer is DmC, despite being critically well-liked, did damage to the series with the fanbase and thus sold worse than DMC4. They also didn't make up what they lost with new fans like they expected with a western Devil May Cry game in the first place. So the only obvious answer is to make nice with the new fans.

A DmC remaster, even with fixes, isn't going to heal those wounds on its own. A new game is too expensive to make outright just to smooth things over. So port up DMC4, add a fan-favorite character, prep the brand for rehabilitation regardless of whether the next game is DMC5 or DmC2 (because now the fanbase is happy knowing DmC is not wholly replacing the main series), and everyone's happy for relatively cheap.

I expect Capcom has a new DMC game in development, but damned if I know which direction it will go.

Edit: Additionally, DMC4 PC exists, so it's not even that hard a port overall.

BadWolf

Maybe Capcom said Itsuno:"Look, i know you want to make DMC5 but we don't want to risk for such a project and we don't exactly how to proceed after the DmC mess.I propose you this:come back to DMC4,try adding some ideas you had designed for it back then,make a sort of DMC4SE.Oh and Vergil of course,fans really love that guy.If the game will sell well and will be well received we'll talk about a sequel."

That would be terrible.

If DMC5 isn't already in the works then we won't see it till the end of the generation, if at all.

Astral Dog

The way I see it, this is a love letter to Japan and the fans worldwide. Vergil is a popular character in Japan, but I don't know if he alone is moving a ton of units in the states.
It could be, we can only wait,at least they are planning something, my cynical side says they are testing for how viable a DMC 5 would be, if the DmC sells much more, they may reconsider using NT again. although DMC 5 is more likely.

Sephzilla

I think DMC4SE is most definitely a pacifier to hold us over until DMC5 is ready to be revealed. I'm willing to bet that Capcom was all set to go all-in on the reboot franchise (remember that old "every 2.5 years plan?) but then DmC tanked in sales so they had to go back to the drawing board, erase what they had, and wrote "Devil May Cry 5" on it in big letters.

gunbo13

Jez, posted some combo videos in "played at a high level" thread and got the thirst. Might be time to train some DMC4 Dante.

Not intimidated by Vergil in DMC4SE. Capcom can't design a game where Vergil isn't completely OP. He absolutely shreds in DMC3SE.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That would be terrible.

If DMC5 isn't already in the works then we won't see it till the end of the generation, if at all.

If DMC5 is in the works, it's in the very very early stages. We're going to be waiting for a couple years at least.

They obvious answer is DmC, despite being critically well-liked, did damage to the series with the fanbase and thus sold worse than DMC4. They also didn't make up what they lost with new fans like they expected with a western Devil May Cry game in the first place. So the only obvious answer is to make nice with the new fans.

A DmC remaster, even with fixes, isn't going to heal those wounds on its own. A new game is too expensive to make outright just to smooth things over. So port up DMC4, add a fan-favorite character, prep the brand for rehabilitation regardless of whether the next game is DMC5 or DmC2 (because now the fanbase is happy knowing DmC is not wholly replacing the main series), and everyone's happy for relatively cheap.

I expect Capcom has a new DMC game in development, but damned if I know which direction it will go.

Edit: Additionally, DMC4 PC exists, so it's not even that hard a port overall.

You mean make nice with the old fans? I agree that both remasters are clearly leaning that way. The casual and new fanbase really doesn't care about any of the changes in the DmC remaster. Their only concern is the uprezzing, the framerate, and the inclusion of DLC. The gameplay mechanic changes are clearly geared towards appeasing a disenfranchised fanbase.

I'm frankly surprised at the amount of work they've committed themselves to doing on both remasters at this point. No other remaster to date has had the same volume of significant changes. The fact that the main teams are back and reworking each remaster also shows how serious they are. It's cheaper than developing a new title, but it does feel like they're going all in.

Sephzilla

If DMC5 is in the works, it's in the very very early stages. We're going to be waiting for a couple years at least.

Most likely. It really depends on (assuming it's in the works) how quickly they scrapped any future DmC plans and decided to return to the original series. At the absolute most DMC5 might have a year of development time on it which means 2016 could be possible but it would more likely be 2017.

BadWolf

But wouldn't that mean that Itsuno and his team sat on their hands since finishing Dragon's Dogma?

They seem to be pretty consistent:

Devil May Cry 3 2005
Devil May Cry 4 2008
Dragon's Dogma 2012

Him and Kobayashi teasing something for 2015 also fits with the above intervals.

Red orb hunting for scoring is almost as bad as DmC's cumulative collectibles counting towards scoring. At least in DMC3, they weren't specific red orbs you needed to find. That's something I could absolutely do away with.
I prefer DmC's approach here to DMC4's - yes, it inflates scores, but it means you can just play through levels and ignore hunting for shit and focus on combat and completion time rather than having to find hidden orb caches every playthrough.

DMC3's approach is the fully superior one, though, since getting a high Style rank basically guarantees a high orb score as well by making enemies drop more.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
But wouldn't that mean that Itsuno and his team sat on their hands since finishing Dragon's Dogma?

Devil May Cry 3 2005
Devil May Cry 4 2008
Dragon's Dogma 2012

Itsuno's probably been working on this Dragon's Dogma Online as well, whether it's an online remaster or an entire new entry.

And it was suggested that he was involved in some mobile development. To what extent, I don't think we know.

I'd like to think you're right, I'm just not expecting something anytime soon.

Sephzilla

Devil May Cry 3 2005
Devil May Cry 4 2008
Dragon's Dogma 2012

Him and Kobayashi teasing something for 2015 also fits with the above intervals.

Itsuno's probably been working on this Dragon's Dogma Online as well, whether it's an online remaster or an entire new entry.

And it was suggested that he was involved in some mobile development. To what extent, I don't think we know.

I'd like to think you're right, I'm just not expecting something anytime soon.

Honestly it might be possible that Itsuno jumped right back into DMC after the first release of Dragon's Dogma. DD came out roughly 4/5 months after DmC released, so Capcom already had a lot of the underwhelming sales data on hand. They might have green lit DMC5 not long after

Akiller

If DMC5 is in the works, it's in the very very early stages.

Do we know how big the DMC team is?(D'sD one was 150 people more or less, but we know that game was huge)
Because i think porting DMC4 PC to PS4/ONE would not that difficult at all , i recall Rising PC was made by a very small team(maybe less than 10 people) and consider that PS4/ONE architecture make PC ports easier to make so i think the team could split up between SE and DMC5 early dev stages,but the latter will go in full development only if SE will perform well, because i feel there's no other reason why Capcom made DMC4SE happen.

Showing Dante LITERALLY taking two strippers back to his trailer for sex is not innuendo, there' nothing coy about it and it leaves nothing to imagination. So yes, execution is everything.
At first you were talking about "I have a bigger dick" joke and now you're talking about the strippers in the intro? As I said, both games made a joke about dicks and DmC is the bad one.
Also, what's wrong with strippers? I mean DMC4 had a boss called Bael with 2 naked looking tendrils. Dante flirts with 'em.

This is my beef. Everything DmC does different is somehow worse, going as far as pretending it's as if it's a 4/10 game and ignoring all the positives it did. Unless you're someone who already has spent hundreds of hours mastering the previous game, you'll just get told to "git gud". I am already "gud". I've probably done more than a great majority of people here (Beat New Game Bloody Palace, invented/beat New Game DMD, probably the first to show you can beat certain bosses without hitting the ground, etc). But do those matter? It isn't everything. Newcomer input would matter just as much as old hat input, otherwise we'll just get the same old game just slightly better.

Pretty much. I still play DMC4 practicing combos while there are people who can't jump cancel telling me I'm wrong. It's not just about that though, it's how I can be a fan of what each game brings to the series.

Amazing player indeed. Unfortunately Dango passed away a few years ago. Truestyle scene definitely lost an amazing player.

So I've never played these games before. In prep of this, I got the DMC HD Collection. Which games should I play and in what order, and is there a recommended difficulty setting?

Play them all in order. DMC1 is average, DMC2 is meh but not as bad as people make it out to be. DMC3 is rockshitawesome. Play them all on Normal/Medium difficulty to familiarise yourself with the game and then go through again on harder. It's not until DMC3 does the combo system really actually count for anything. So that's when you wanna look up combo videos and learn the tech involved.

Not intimidated by Vergil in DMC4SE. Capcom can't design a game where Vergil isn't completely OP. He absolutely shreds in DMC3SE.

I'm hoping he's much more like he is in UMvC3.

Sephzilla

At first you were talking about "I have a bigger dick" joke and now you're talking about the strippers in the intro? As I said, both games made a joke about dicks and DmC is the bad one.
Also, what's wrong with strippers? I mean DMC4 had a boss called Bael with 2 naked looking tendrils. Dante flirts with 'em.

DMC4's jokes are more just comical innuendos that are designed around being comic relief. Dante being sexual isn't the point of those scenes, it's about Dante acting like a complete goof because he's making silly innuendos while throwing demon spears into a heart shape with mariachi music in the background. Same with the Bael scene in DMC4 with Dante, it's about Dante acting like a goof again because he sees two cute girls and completely disregards the fact that they don't look remotely human. It's also a payoff joke because Nero earlier in the game sees completely through that bait while Dante immediately gets suckered into it.

DmC's are literally about making Dante seem like some fucking sexually triumphant alpha male and have no humor to them at all.

DMC4's cutscenes are night and day different from DmC's in literally every single way.

Unit24

Same with the Bael scene in DMC4 with Dante, it's about Dante acting like a goof again because he sees two cute girls and completely disregards the fact that they don't look remotely human. It's also a payoff joke because Nero earlier in the game sees completely through that bait while Dante immediately gets suckered into it.

Actually, he didn't get suckered into it at all. He immediately saw through it and was clearly just playing with Bael. He even pointed out how he knew it was a trick

Your point still stands though.

Dumb question, but anyone know if the DS4 is compatible with DMC HD collection? It doesn't seem to be working and I wanna start a second playthrough of DMC3.

Edit: Looks like only DMC1 HD is compatable and DMC3 HD isn't....that seems really odd that only some games in an HD collection are compatible and others aren't.

I doubt those include the Steam sales or digital sales.

Dumb question, but anyone know if the DS4 is compatible with DMC HD collection? It doesn't seem to be working and I wanna start a second playthrough of DMC3.

I remember having to jump through hoops to get the 360 controller to work on DMC3. It was...annoying.

Quick question, I figure here is the best place to ask:

How do you unlock all of Nero's skills at once? Do you need to S rank every mission to obtain enough proud souls? Until then, are there any skills that are pretty worthless to purchase?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

How do you unlock all of Nero's skills at once? Do you need to S rank every mission to obtain enough proud souls? Until then, are there any skills that are pretty worthless to purchase?

It's a pretty long grind to get enough Proud Souls to max every skill. As I recall, the most efficient means of doing it is either completing Bloody Palace over and over, or doing Mission 20 over and over (since it's super quick and yields a good number).

As far as a purchase tier list for Nero, it kind of depends on your playstyle. Pretty much every skill has a purpose.

Streak, Split, Calibur, EX-Act, Exceed 2, Snatch 2, Charge Shot, Enemy Step, and some ground combos should probably be priorities at first.

BadWolf

If I were to start from scratch I would get these first:

- Charge Shot 3
- Air Hike
- Streak
- EX Act
- Aerial Combo
- Snatch
- Exceed

In all my time of playing Devil May Cry 4, I've never used charge shots because I can't figure out a good controller setup to always be charging.

I'm pretty sure that is foolish of me

BadWolf

In all my time of playing Devil May Cry 4, I've never used charge shots because I can't figure out a good controller setup to always be charging.

Not really necessary with Dante but Nero's Charge Shot 3 is overpowered as heck.

I map it to R2 and charge all the freaking time.

Monocle

Charge shot is way good. Just swap the gun and Devil Trigger buttons.

yeah but with gun charge, lock on, and revving, at some point you gotta get used to using index + middle finger on bumper/trigger, no? That's where my problem seems to lie

Monocle

yeah but with gun charge, lock on, and revving, at some point you gotta get used to using index + middle finger on bumper/trigger, no? That's where my problem seems to lie
Yeah. I got used to holding charge shot with my left index finger and revving with my middle finger. That's the best solution I could come up with.

BadWolf

Yup.

Just map the buttons and roll with it, you'll get accustomed faster than you think.

The soft lock on isn't bad in this game so if you don't won't to hold the shot and lock on at the same time then let the lock on go for a while.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If ya dont use charge shots you are handicapping yourself. The level 3 damage is nice, the passive buildup is nice, and the delayed second explosion can be REALLY nice.

Akiller

Merry Christmas bitches
tumblr_m8mmsbGiRE1qda2s4o2_250.gif

Man, DMC1's art direction is even more godlike than I remember. Playing the HD collection, and it still looks pretty decent, especially considering it's a first gen PS2 game and all.

Might as well finish up this DMC3 run, too.

Defcon_2Fast4u

Neo Member
I will admit when I saw DMC, I was torn. I refused to play the game. I refused to pay for it. And then one month it was free on PSN with Plus. I gave it a try, and was actually hooked. I finished and was overall satisfied. Now Since it has been so long since I played 4, I can not wait to get my hands on it. I super excited for them.

I just ordered Devil May Cry HD collection. Kind of really late on that I know, but better late than never.

I still hope that in a new installment, they can make the old hairstyle match the face, because classic Dante skin sucks on the new younger face.

Top Bottom