• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vermont’s Black Leaders: We Were ‘Invisible’ to Bernie Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The problems Bernie has are in terms of rhetoric. Policy wise, he has a better record than Hilary and even several members of the Congressional Black Caucus. But early on, he gave way too many economic answers to questions on social issues, and the result was a perception that he just didn't care about the plight of black people, and this perception has become a monster that is out of his control now. .

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The problems Bernie has are in terms of rhetoric. Policy wise, he has a better record than Hilary and even several members of the Congressional Black Caucus. But early on, he gave way too many economic answers to questions on social issues, and the result was a perception that he just didn't care about the plight of black people, and this perception has become a monster that is out of his control now. .
Did you just repost that comment to get on the new page?

In most of his speeches I've watched, he consistently brings up:

- Mass incarceration rates in the US, disproportionately black and latino. Blacks getting arrested for mild crimes such as marijuana possession. Advocates legalizing marijuana and reducing incarceration rates.

- Black people getting shot by cops, and the need to hold the police accountable. Also advocates bringing more diversity into the police force, and disarming the police.

- High unemployment rates among black youths, something like 51%. Advocates getting them jobs through infrastructure spending, and education through free college.

Although I haven't watched as many of Hillary's speeches, I almost never hear any of these issues addressed. Mostly just some passing lip service about "she will fight for equal opportunity for all people" and "body cameras."

Look, no president, not Bernie, not Hillary, can solve the racism in this country. It's ultimately up to each American to fight against the racist attitudes that pervades many citizens. When a black person is stared at in a store by others for fear of shoplifting, there's no president who can do anything about that. But, when looking at things a president could get accomplished to help fight against systemic racism, I don't see how Hillary comes out way ahead of Bernie on the issues.

Yes but the whole point of the article was that he is only delivering these points as part of his stump speeach, while his actual black constituents paint a very diffrent picture according to their interactions with him, especially in comparison to their other senator.

Did you just repost that comment to get on the new page?

Let's dispel this notion that GaimeGuy doesn't know what he's doing; he knows exactly what he's doing.

Yes but the whole point of the article was that he is only delivering these points as part of his stump speeach, while his actual black constituents paint a very diffrent picture according to their interactions with him, especially in comparison to their other senator.

Assuming Hillary gets elected President, I just sincerely hope people bookmark that speech she gave in Harlem and see how sincere she was about what she was saying a few years into her term.

That's a fair criticism, although the black population in Vermont is what, 1%? I do think black issues are more prominent on a national stage than in 96% white Vermont and so he's spending more time highlighting these issues now than when he was a Vermont Senator.

Let's dispel this notion that GaimeGuy doesn't know what he's doing; he knows exactly what he's doing.

Assuming Hillary gets elected President, I just sincerely hope people bookmark that speech she gave in Harlem and see how sincere she was about what she was saying a few years into her term.

If people have instances of Hilary being ureseptive to minority constituents while senator of New York they can make a thread. This is about the black residents of Vermont saying Bernie never listened to their issues.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
So Bernie and his supporters answer to his standing among AA is 'but Hillary?
It's ridiculous. Like when one of my kids gets in trouble and immediately tries to deflect to his siblings. Boy, if you don't take responsibility for your own mess...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Actually I don't know what I'm doing. I'm trying out a new speech to submit post program on my phone, and my connection dropped so I thought my original post didn't go through, and it looks like I added a stupid bug which adds A period every time it submits.

If people have instances of Hilary being ureseptive to minority constituents while senator of New York they can make a thread. This is about the black residents of Vermont saying Bernie never listened to their issues.

In fairness to King Tubby's point, Clinton did kinda explicitly call for people to try to hold her feet to the fire about what she was saying in that speech on Tuesday.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's ridiculous. Like when one of my kids gets in trouble and immediately tries to deflect to his siblings. Boy, if you don't take responsibility for your own mess...

I just flat out do not understand this line of thinking. This is an election. We're choosing between two different candidates. What's with the insistence on viewing one of them in a vacuum?

Amir0x

Banned

Many Bernie supporters are simply not equipped to view the world in shades of grey. They make these grand proclamations about Bernie and all the things he has not even a one percent chance of ever passing thanks to the make up in Congress, but many actively refuse to even acknowledge that their candidate is, ya know, an asshole on some issues. Just like Hillary, just like every candidate. And so many use that cringe worthy line, "well if Black folk only took the time to get to know Bernie..."

how condescending can you get, ya know?

That's a fair criticism, although the black population in Vermont is what, 1%? I do think black issues are more prominent on a national stage than in 96% white Vermont and so he's spending more time highlighting these issues now than when he was a Vermont Senator.

It's just troubling that his answer to the question in 2006 was similar to his answer in the South Carolina debate.

That's absolutely fair, I was more responding to the whole stump speech notion and the person earlier in the thread who linked her speech in Harlem.

I feel like your post puts the bar fairly high in that department.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Sure. But the same standard applies to Bernie's "sincerity" and his ability to implement single payer, free college, and break up the banks

Lol. Taking a lot of liberties there, per usual. Black voters can, obviously, vote for whomever they choose.

Its what the argument boils down to. I've seen black voters explain criticism of Bernie and the response is essentially either "but hillary.." or the same sort of argument that Bernie supports kill Hillary/her supporters for. "What, you are seriously hoping for that? that isn't possible. There's no way for practical legislation that would fix problem like that to get through", while at the same time arguing for a candidate who bases nothing on the practicality of his legislation. It isn't a good sell as to why they should jump ship and vote for him.

noshten

Acknowledging the issues are not simply a financial one.

Him and Hillary don't actually differ greatly in terms of Criminal Justice Reform. There is also the issue of reclassifying Marijuana and pro-legalization, while lowering the resources spend in pursing non-violent drug offenders.
Also this is the first time I've heard someone say he hasn't acknowledged that racism isn't just a financial issue.

foxtrot3d

Banned
In most of his speeches I've watched, he consistently brings up:

- Mass incarceration rates in the US, disproportionately black and latino. Blacks getting arrested for mild crimes such as marijuana possession. Advocates legalizing marijuana and reducing incarceration rates.

- Black people getting shot by cops, and the need to hold the police accountable. Also advocates bringing more diversity into the police force, and disarming the police.

- High unemployment rates among black youths, something like 51%. Advocates getting them jobs through infrastructure spending, and education through free college.

Although I haven't watched as many of Hillary's speeches, I almost never hear any of these issues addressed. Mostly just some passing lip service about "she will fight for equal opportunity for all people" and "body cameras."

Look, no president, not Bernie, not Hillary, can solve the racism in this country. It's ultimately up to each American to fight against the racist attitudes that pervades many citizens. When a black person is stared at in a store by others for fear of shoplifting, there's no president who can do anything about that. But, when looking at things a president could get accomplished to help fight against systemic racism, I don't see how Hillary comes out way ahead of Bernie on the issues.

You are talking this big pile of shite I have ever heard.

First, Bernie wasn't talking about those issues at the start of his campaign it took BLM and the media constantly asking, "WHY THE FUCK aren't you addressing minority issues?" Before he finally decided it was time to stop pivoting back to billionaires and trillionaires every time the question was raised.

Second, Hilary has been speaking and fighting for minorities issues for a LONG time. She supported BLM at the start and didn't hand wave it away or talk about how "All lives Matter." I don't remember Bernie Sanders making a statement when Trayvon Martin was shot and killed:

Hilary Clinton said:
"In a week that I know has brought heartache - deep, painful heartache - to many across our country, the solidarity and solace you find here is all the more important," Clinton said. "My prayers are with the Martin family and with every family who loves someone who is lost to violence. No mother, no father should ever have to fear for their child walking down a street in the United States of America."

In the same speech she made that statement she went after the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down sections of the Voting Rights Act, saying the law is in “real jeopardy.”
“The Supreme Court struck at the heart of the Voting Rights Act,” Clinton said. “For more than four decades this law has helped overcome constitutional barriers to voting. Again and again it has demonstrated its essential role in protecting our freedoms.”

Oh and here is her in 2014 talking about what was going on in Ferguson:

Washington Post said:
At her speech at the Nexenta OpenSDx Summit in San Francisco, she said “we cannot ignore the inequities that persist in our justice system.” And then she did what few of her prominent fellow white Democrats have done in the context of Ferguson–she acknowledged the well-known statistics that show that blacks get treated differently than whites when it comes to everything from traffic stops to sentencing. But rather than just listing the statistics, she got personal by asking whites to put themselves in the shoes of black Americans:

"Imagine what we would feel and what we would do if white drivers were three times as likely to be searched by police during a traffic stop as black drivers instead of the other way around. If white offenders received prison sentences ten percent longer than black offenders for the same crimes. If a third of all white men – just look at this room and take one-third – went to prison during their lifetime. Imagine that. That is the reality in the lives of so many of our fellow Americans in so many of the communities in which they live."
This is just one minor example about how she is has been talking DIRECTLY about these issues since before this campaign even started. Bernie had to be dragged into speaking about this stuff, Hilary was already there.

EDIT:

I just want to reiterate the clear difference between Hilary and Bernie at the time with situations like Ferguson, Hilary speaks directly to the issue of systemic police discrimination but here is what Bernie said AT THE TIME about Ferguson:

NYT said:
In the wake of continuing unrest in Ferguson, Missouri, Sen. Bernie Sanders said on Wednesday that he will introduce legislation to address the national crisis of black youth unemployment. In a letter to Senate colleagues, Sanders called for a thorough federal investigation of the Aug. 9 death of an unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown, who was shot by a police officer in the St. Louis suburb. “We also must recognize, however, that there is an economic crisis facing our nation’s youth, particularly young African-Americans,” Sanders said. In the St. Louis metro area, almost half of young African-American men are unemployed, Sanders said. Nationwide, the youth unemployment rate today is more than 20 percent and African-American youth unemployment is nearly 35 percent.

“If we are going to address the issue of crime in low-income areas and in African-American communities, it might be a good idea that instead of putting military style equipment into police departments in those areas, we start investing in jobs for the young people there who desperately need them...If we are going to reduce youth violence and instill hope and a bright future for the young people in this country, we have got to provide them with the jobs and the skills they need to move up the economic ladder,” Sanders said.”

Sound familiar?

Zona

Segregation was everywhere just in the south it was written down. Most of everywhere else it was implied. Up north you still have a lot of segregation in neighborhoods to this day.

Yup. Admittedly this is from the 2010 census, but look at Chicago. Hell try any major city, or look at Long Island.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Its what the argument boils down to. I've seen black voters explain criticism of Bernie and the response is essentially either "but hillary.." or the same sort of argument that Bernie supports kill Hillary/her supporters for. "What, you are seriously hoping for that? that isn't possible. There's no way for practical legislation that would fix problem like that to get through", while at the same time arguing for a candidate who bases nothing on the practicality of his legislation. It isn't a good sell as to why they should jump ship and vote for him.

Well, when you view this discussion in the context of an election, I don't think "but Hillary" is that crazy of a response. I'm constantly hearing "but Republicans" from Democrats. That's essentially been their main draw for a while now.

Also, I certainly think talk of mentioning "ending racism" is way more of a nebulous goal than general progressive economic policies. The makeup of Congress and the Senate needs to change to make these things happen. The only people who think Bernie Sanders hasn't addressed that are people who haven't paid much attention to his campaign.

Jams775

Many Bernie supporters are simply not equipped to view the world in shades of grey. They make these grand proclamations about Bernie and all the things he has not even a one percent chance of ever passing thanks to the make up in Congress, but many actively refuse to even acknowledge that their candidate is, ya know, an asshole on some issues. Just like Hillary, just like every candidate. And so many use that cringe worthy line, "well if Black folk only took the time to get to know Bernie..."

It's about as condescending as lumping all Bernie supports into 1 entity and taking at them like a dumb child. There's a lot of condescension and ignoring good points to go around here.

Him and Hillary don't actually differ greatly in terms of Criminal Justice Reform. There is also the issue of reclassifying Marijuana and pro-legalization, while lowering the resources spend in pursing non-violent drug offenders.
Also this is the first time I've heard someone say he hasn't acknowledged that racism isn't just a financial issue.

He brings it up whenever he is asked about racial issues. It's so not the answer he needs to give, because giving every black person $100k will not do a damn thing about the institutional racism that is present in this country. And to keep referencing it (since 2006 apparently) makes me question his sincerity on the issue.

Amir0x

Banned
It's about as condescending as lumping all Bernie supports into 1 entity and taking at them like a dumb child. There's a lot of condescension and ignoring good points to go around here.

Do you know what the phrase "Many Bernie supporters" means? It means many of them, but not all of them. Thus, not lumping them all into 1 entity. Try again.

phanphare

Banned
Yes racism is booming business, but it not some cabal doing it all

yeah true. I've got nothing to counter that because human beings can just be fucked some times. most of the time, really.

I guess what I'm saying is that by improving income inequality and other things that would give poor and working class people a better standard of living you'd be doing away with a lot of the factors that allow for racism to perpetuate itself. I think the fact that the wealthy elite would actively try and keep the poor and working classes divided against each other through manipulation and propaganda (which is still seen today) gives some credence to it being an effective way of solving some major problems in our country.

Mael

What exactly are you trying to ask?

The leader of a black organization involved in social, political and/or community issues. Pretty straightforward.

No but you see since he's criticizing Sanders he's not really a leader and part of the establishment.

Slayven

yeah true. I've got nothing to counter that because human beings can just be fucked some times. most of the time, really.

I guess what I'm saying is that by improving income inequality and other things that would give poor and working class people a better standard of living you'd be doing away with a lot of the factors that allow for racism to perpetuate itself. I think the fact that the wealthy elite would actively try and keep the poor and working classes divided against each other through manipulation and propaganda (which is still seen today) gives some credence to it being an effective way of solving some major problems in our country.
Nope we have centuries of people being racist Dicks just because they can. Like I said war of the classes means very little to blacks because we will always be seen as the bottom.

atr0cious

This makes no sense since Blacks will always be a small minoirty. If he can't even pretend to listen to the vocal few in his state, what chance do the rest of us have?

Jams775

Do you know what the phrase "Many Bernie supporters" means? It means many of them, but not all of them. Thus, not lumping them all into 1 entity. Try again.

I'm not trying for anything. I just want to see real discussions to inform myself better. Not people talking down to or trying to one up each other.

What exactly are you trying to ask?

The leader of a black organization involved in social, political and/or community issues. Pretty straightforward.

Are we going to let two people represent the entire black population of Vermont? There are even two "Black leaders" who support him, not that their opinions are the same as every other black person either. Just because a "black leader" says something doesn't mean it's representative. (like those Black pastors that were about to endorse Trump).

Now the only thing missing from this thread is some link to some conspiracy-friendly site stating that the guy is payed by Wall St.

Real mature. Keep the my team vs. your team democracy menality going bro.

When a bunch of people have a problem, there's nothing wrong with lumping them into groups. Either fix the massive problem of ass backwards racial views from bernie supporters or deal with the much more minor problem of having your feelings hurt on the internet for being one of the few bernie supporters that does not espouse dangerous ideals.

Well, when you view this discussion in the context of an election, I don't think "but Hillary" is that crazy of a response. I'm constantly hearing "but Republicans" from Democrats. That's essentially been their main draw for a while now.

Also, I certainly think talk of mentioning "ending racism" is way more of a nebulous goal than general progressive economic policies. The makeup of Congress and the Senate needs to change to make these things happen. The only people who think Bernie Sanders hasn't addressed that are people who haven't paid much attention to his campaign.

The "But Hillary" deflection would only work if she and her policy suggestions worked against minorities in the same way republican policy would. That is clearly not the case no matter how much some want to phrase it in that way.

It isn't enough to simply address the issues. Bernie has gotten the support he has gotten because his policy suggestions excite the white liberal youth. The practicality and the likelyhood of him being able to accomplish it doesn't matter, they are excited someone is suggesting policy they agree with and would like to see.

Policy that would likely have excited the black youth in the same way would have been something along the lines of reparations. But he wasn't willing to promise that. On issues regarding what black voters tend to care about, Bernie has not done enough to excite them. Which is why the polling sits where it is. It isn't due to low information voting or them not paying attention. He has not made similar dreamer like policy proposal that has been adequate enough to get black voters to be willing to take the risk, dump hillary and side with bernie, in any sizable numbers.

Cyrillus

They're not really painting any different a picture than has been described of Sanders' campaign since the beginning. It's the same "he's deaf to issues of racism and thinks it's just a symptom of income inequality" that has been levied at Sanders since Netroots or the BLM activists interrupted his speech in Seattle.

I don't think anyone here (even honest Sanders supporters should admit this) should disagree that Sanders has been "missing the point" when it comes to racism, even in his home state. I think Sanders believes in racial equality and certainly thinks it's deplorable the way people of color have been and continue to be treated in this country, but he's clearly over-attributing income inequality as the main cause of racism.

This article doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. The real question is whether he's learned from that, and will he start to recognize that there's more at play than income inequality in the issue of racism in America. I'd like to think his speeches/debates have shown that he's getting the message, but then again all presidential candidates have a tendency to offer "pie-in-the-sky" rhetoric.

Sure. But the same standard applies to Bernie's "sincerity" and his ability to implement single payer, free college, and break up the banks

Assuming Bernie were to get elected, absolutely you would have to judge him like any other candidate, whether he achieved his campaign promises or failed, and the reasons why he failed. I would suspect in Bernie's case it would not be for lack of trying, but that's just an assumption on my part. I think we'll actually be evaluating Hillary.

Not even remotely. When certain Bernie supporters stop acting that way, people will stop calling them out for it. Full stop. Get on top of that and insert a filter.

Sorry for being hostile, I am just frustrated with a lot of the venom being spewed by Sanders and Clinton supporters towards each other, pretty much always dripping with condescension on either side.

He brings it up whenever he is asked about racial issues. It's so not the answer he needs to give, because giving every black person $100k will not do a damn thing about the institutional racism that is present in this country. And to keep referencing it (since 2006 apparently) makes me question his sincerity on the issue.

Why don't you support reparations, soundscream? /s

Pastry

Banned
Are we going to let two people represent the entire black population of Vermont? There are even two "Black leaders" who support him, not that their opinions are the same as every other black person either. Just because a "black leader" says something doesn't mean it's representative. (like those Black pastors that were about to endorse Trump).

Real mature. Keep the my team vs. your team democracy menality going bro.

Your profile indicates you're Canadian, so who is "we"? Is their opinion on Bernie not valid because some say otherwise?

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not trying for anything. I just want to see real discussions to inform myself better. Not people talking down to or trying to one up each other.

I agree with the goal, but this is politics. When something is a problem, it needs to be hashed out in intense political debate, because should this person get nominated, he is going to have to deal with attacks 10x as severe. Bernie literally has no clue how bad it is going to get, given Republicans have all but entirely ignored his candidacy. If he and his supporters can't take hard talk about his failings with minority groups or some his supporters insultingly petty attitude toward black folk supporting Bernie, then he should not be nominated.

BowieZ

Banned
What kind of reductionist bullshit is this?
Just as reductionist as Sanders critics saying he has only one issue: income inequality.

Maybe he hasn't done a good job of soundbyting more complicated racial issues better, sure, but if you've listened to even one of his rallies, he constantly brings up a multitude of policy proposals, many of which touch on improving fairness for blacks.

Now, he certainly hasn't brought up any tangible solutions to racism itself (is there any?) but in the meantime he seems damn passionate about improving wealth, health, and education among poor black communities, and this passion I think was represented in his civil rights activity in youth, but of course less so while governing his lily white state.

Those are definitely valid topics for debate, but this reductionist handwaving of Sanders as only interested in income equality is a shortcut to stifle positive conversation about what Sanders could bring to the table.

Arkeband

Banned
Which she immediately retracted and reiterated that Black Lives Matter and has never used the phrase since.

Just keeping you honest with your revisionism.

It's interesting that when Bernie adjusts his message, that's seen as a mark against him, but when Hillary adjusts her message, you know, she really gets it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
What qualifies as being responsive enough? Do people want him to attend X number of meetings hosted by black leadership? Are there very specific policy concerns that a politician is not not explicitly for is labeled not responsive?

His voting record and economic policies look like they would be fantastic for minorities.

Amir0x

Banned
but this reductionist handwaving of Sanders as only interested in income equality is a shortcut to stifle positive conversation about what Sanders could bring to the table.

ok so let's talk about this. President Sanders has been elected, and has just been sworn in. What can he bring to the table at this juncture?

atr0cious

It's interesting that when Bernie adjusts his message, that's seen as a mark against him, but when Hillary adjusts her message, you know, she really gets it.

Lol if you think this is at all how the world is working. Anytime Hillary does anything, its labeled as pandering and being dragged by bernie to the leftt. You're the one doing the revising.

Berrnie apparently has been right(left) since birth.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Adjust what message? Hilary used BLM exclusively before that statement. She said the phrase, "All lives matter" once in the context of a story regarding her religion at a talk she was giving at an all black church. She immediately after retracted that she in any way meant she was downplaying BLM or that ALM should be a talking point. She has never used that phrase since that talk.

What makes someone a Black Leader?

The ability to have influence w/ large amounts of Black people and to use that influence to make deals or influence policy with the White power structure.

Unfortunately communities that don't have their own base of power or their own home country specifically tend to utilize leaders in their communities to speak for them as a whole.

A more apt term would be "Black negotiators".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom