• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

GavinGT

Banned
So let's say i want to buy old xbox 360 games (i haven't had one this gen) and i buy some from the store, how do i transfer the discs over to this new smaller B/C box? or will most of the games be available for download? but then won't the prices be ridiculous if they're download? Because you can buy year old disc-games for 10 bucks

I imagine they'll try to get most of the games up on Xbox Live. And they'll probably still be overly expensive.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The way I understand it:

Durango: new console, plays games without requiring an online connection

Stingray: ad on device which allows IPTV type features and backwards compatability with 360 games

Correct?

I'd put it more like this:

Durango: the new console.

Can act as a hub for 360 hardware connected on the same network to play 360 'through' your Durango. Makes it more convenient to use your old machine.

Stingray: new DVD-less 360 revision in its own right. Happens to be ideal in terms of styling/stackability as a companion 360 for Durango, but I'm thinking it's not the only option for that.

Why? I guess I have trouble understanding why buying additional $150 hardware would be better than built in streaming BC if they both require a broadband connection anyway.

True enough, I prefer the idea of hardware based BC.

Rumour is that it costs $150...

For that price, its as bad IMO.

Cheaper to get an actual 360.

Maybe, but I have precious little space under the TV, so if the mini is indeed a mini device, not unlike the HD-DVD add-on, this is great news for when I jump to next gen consoles in a few years and means I won't have to worry about losing my content.

Foxix Von

Huh, I wonder if that's what that whole Stingray mini xbox for $100 rumor was in reference to. It's supposed to come out in conjunction with the 720 right? Although $100 would be a hell of a premium for BC.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Something doesn't add up.

The new cheaper 360 plays 360 games via Durango? Does it work stand alone or not, does it have HDMI? If so, then why not put a disc drive into it call it a 360? I guess they just want to milk people by selling them the old 360 games via DD or sell them a Durango to play discs?

Doesn't exactly pass the sniff test does it? There's an important detail or two missing still.
Yeah, exactly. Still doesn't explain the need for a persistent internet connection. Are all original 360 games going to be streamed ala Sony's Gaikai ambitions? If the disk goes into the Durango but is handled by the attached box, why would an internet connection be required?

Or is the entire online connection required thing bogus? For both pieces of hardware?

So let me get this straight, you have to buy this mini 360 at $99-$149. Then you buy the Durango at $349-$499, so this ends up costing more in the end. Why not just keep your 360 then and use that as this sounds kind of an insane approach.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Not a perfect solution, but nice enough. I can wait to get the add on for a year or so before I retire my 360 into the bedroom or computer room.

AzaK

Interesting solution to BC. Quie cool but I hope it works with all 360's and people don't have to buy a mini for it.

GavinGT

Banned
So let's say i want to buy old xbox 360 games (i haven't had one this gen) and i buy some from the store, how do i transfer the discs over to this new smaller B/C box? or will most of the games be available for download? but then won't the prices be ridiculous if they're download? Because you can buy year old disc-games for 10 bucks

I imagine they'll try to get most of the games up on Xbox Live. And they'll probably still be overly expensive.

You can get a used Xbox 360 for like $80 these days, so this add-on is really just about convenience and interfacing with Durango.

PG2G

I actually think this (or two SKUs) is the proper way to do BC if it can't be done without additional hardware. The people that don't want it don't pay for it and the people that want it do.

I think this sounds pretty fucking cool, but people are free to disagree. If you want BC, then you pay for it by getting that optional device.

How is this cool when BC was supposed to be a given in the first place?

Now having to buy a second Xbox to sit next to your 720 is considered BC?
Wow. It's amazing how people's expectations get warped by these media leaks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Something doesn't add up.

The new cheaper 360 plays 360 games via Durango? Does it work stand alone or not, does it have HDMI? If so, then why not put a disc drive into it call it a 360? I guess they just want to milk people by selling them the old 360 games via DD or sell them a Durango to play discs?

It sounds like 360 will be marketed as a set-top box post-Durango, and they want total control over the software distribution. Hence no drive, everything off the network.

MaulerX

The PS4 has BC in the same way Durango has BC (is this rumour is true): Keep your PS3 or buy one.

Except that if I have a 360 downstairs in my bedroom, I'll be able to play my 360 games upstairs in my game room without moving things around or being confined to my bedroom.

larvi

Yep, these leaks are definitely damage control by MS to counter the negative rumors as they quickly try to shoe horn in backward compatibility and offline game play.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
so this makes total sense and therefore is believable - a 2nd unit for BC makes sense - options are a good thing. For me its worth it to buy another add on for BC because I don't want a whole other 360 in my cabinet

OSHAN

So let me get this straight, you have to buy this mini 360 at $99-$149. Then you buy the Durango at $349-$499, so this ends up costing more in the end. Why not just keep your 360 then and use that as this sounds kind of an insane approach.

I really have no idea.

You're paying 100-150 dollars for BC.

Interfectum

You don't have to do anything. This is for people who don't want two completely different xbox's hooked up to play both generations of games. It's a bit inelegant but it's better than nothing.

sunnz

True that it IS better than the PS4's planned BC ( even if the streaming is good, cannot be used offline) although could be a little expensive.

Actually, does this also mean that no internet= no BC? or am I overthinking it for the Nextbox

Now the MAIN question is, will it be small enough to pay more to get this than to get a cheaper 360...

Considering this and the Verge's rumour kind of complete each other:

New 360 is always online, also to play games
Durango requires connection due to cable functions, but games don't rely on connection (i.e.: if connection has problems, games won't stop or anything).

This is what I understand.

Yep, this is my understanding of it also. An internet connection will be required for some features, but you will be able to play offline/play if your connection drops.

mavs

I can't help but personally laugh at Xbox 720 having backwards compat. as a selling point with this as a solution there is little to no benefit over just keeping your old console plugged in.

I don't get it, I really don't.

I guess you could sell your 360 now for $150, then later on get a smaller version that doesn't take up a HDMI slot on your TV? This doesn't seem to be intended to provide BC anyway. It's a reason for people without a 360 to get one (Trojan horsed in by an Apple TV competitor), and then once they have that 360 TV device it makes it easy for them to upgrade to Durango.

C4Lukins

This makes a lot of sense and is probably the best we can hope for when it comes to BC. If they could make it work with Durango where it did not need a harddrive, or wireless, or direct video connection, or even HDMI ports it could end up being dirt cheap. Hopefully you could access everything using the Durango UI without having to boot up into your mini 360, but I am not sure how all of that would work. Basically the HD-DVD add on but hopefully for 99 dollars or less.

syllogism

I can't help but personally laugh at Xbox 720 having backwards compat. as a selling point with this as a solution there is little to no benefit over just keeping your old console plugged in.

I don't get it, I really don't.
It's not intended to be a a selling point to anyone who already has a 360. It's a minor feature which main function is likely to encourage new customers who buy the new cheaper 360 to eventually move on to durango.

Interesting that this challenges the current rumors. I would love to see this sort of BC add-on for PS4 as well. There are more than a few games I'm going to miss out on over the next 9 months, and I'm not interested in buying a whole new system to play them.

MechDX

I'd put it more like this:

Durango: the new console.

Can act as a hub for 360 hardware connected on the same network to play 360 'through' your Durango. Makes it more convenient to use your old machine.

Stingray: new DVD-less 360 revision in its own right. Happens to be ideal in terms of styling/stackability as a companion 360 for Durango, but I'm thinking it's not the only option for that.

Makes sense. Not like MS doesn't have a history of this sort of thing:

dvd.jpg

PG2G

potentially brilliant, sales-wise.

You make MS supporters essentially:

-buy their brand new console
-buy a new (mini) 360 with no disc-drive so the new console can play old games

And people are applauding this?

What is a better option for BC? Put teh 360 hardware in every SKU of the console so that everybody pays for it? No thanks

Its for people who are gonna buy a Durango, who doesn't have a 360 already or wants to get rid of it, since its cheaper to buy the mini 360 than a normal 360.

It's not intended to be a a selling point to anyone who already has a 360. It's a minor feature which main function is likely to encourage new customers who buy the new cheaper 360 to eventually move on to durango.
No its for people who are getting the Durango with it, since you can't use it without the Durango. Unless there's a hard drive on it and you can download games.

Foxix Von

Ah, I literally just thought about this in the other news thread, considering we just had news about a hundred dollar stingray unit.

Huh, I wonder if that's what that whole Stingray mini xbox for $100 rumor was in reference to. It's supposed to come out in conjunction with the 720 right? Although $100 would be a hell of a premium for BC.

Yeah, like the price of 1.6 new games. Outrageous!

My backlog of Arcade games is at least $500 MSRP.

surly

Banned
So some of the rumors were complete bullshit? You don't say. Not to say that this rumor couldn't be complete bullshit as well.

Can't believe everyone gets up in arms before knowing anything. People never learn I guess.
But this rumour could be complete bullshit as well. I agree with your last 2 sentences though. :D

EDIT - I really should read posts more carefully before responding, lol. Sorry dood.

Top Bottom