• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

GavinGT

Banned
If the add-on doesn't have a disc tray, could you use the disc tray for the Durango to put in your old games?

I really don't get the purpose of all of this.

Just hook up your old 360 to the TV.

You'll probably be able to hook up your old 360 to your Durango, so you don't have to buy anything new and you have BC on your new console.

What is a better option for BC? Put teh 360 hardware in every SKU of the console so that everybody pays for it? No thanks

No, but there could be more elegant solutions. I think the Sony patent was more of a small box containing only the custom parts required for BC while the main console handled the rest. This Durango rumour just sounds like a 360 without a disc drive. The end result may actually be closer to the Sony idea (we'll see), but if this rumour is true their solution to BC is to just buy a separate console, and that's not really BC to me.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
potentially brilliant, sales-wise.

You make MS supporters essentially:

-buy their brand new next-gen console
-buy a new (mini) 360 with no disc-drive so the new console can play old games

And people are applauding this?

you make no sense - nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think this is a reasonable interpretation of the rumors, makes more sense than not letting you play games if your internet is down.

If this is the case, there's still a major problem in the end: the amount of consumers that can be reached. I.e. a lot of people who don't have online connections / have limited connections would still be put out of the possibility of buying Durango.

I think this is a reasonable interpretation of the rumors, makes more sense than not letting you play games if your internet is down.

I bet it will be something like this:

1. Must have a working internet connection + Kinect 2.0 enabled to start up Durango

2. Must have a working internet connection + Kinect 2.0 enabled to start a game

3. When you're playing the game, the always-online connection is lifted, but you still have to have Kinect 2.0 enabled at all times

JaggedSac

Microsoft’s delay in announcing these products from April goes more inline with not having a physical set of devices to show (among specification updates), which should be ready by May or June when this information is officially released.

Spec updates you say?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Buy our new system and this add on so you can play old games on your brand new console.... I don't understand the need for BC really other than convenience and space factor. Why would you buy a new console and want to play old games? Why not just keep your console. I guess if you don't have the console already and you wanted to catch up with 360 games you missed, its a good idea. I guess it really matters what the price is, they cant make it more expensive then the 360 so thats good news i guess.

The price goal of the smaller Xbox is $149 or lower and it is likely to not have a disc drive and would require a network connection.

This from another thread, if its 149 for the smaller xbox with no disc drive, how much do yall think this add on will cost!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So are we talking smaller, standalone Xbox 360 for $150, or Durango attachment is $150?

It's not an attachment.

It's a new standalone 360 revision. Durango can 'control' it (and, I guess, other 360s) to let you play 360 software on the new 360, through your Durango. So if you want to play 360 software, you go to your Durango, and it will show you 360 games installed on the 360. Select a game, and it will play. It's actually playing on the 360, but the user has the convenience of operating through Durango only for both their Durango and 360 software.

Think of it like cloud streaming or remote playing of games. Except instead of the game running on a remote server in the cloud, it'll be running off your locally connected 360.

Raide

Sounds like an interesting plan. I know I will get laughed out of GAF for this but what are the chances of MS letting us use the current game disc to get a code for the DD version? Kinda like what Sony did for some of the Vita stuff.

TBH it's quite a stupid solution but its better than wasting money on including BC on Durango.
I've got no problem with handling backwards compatibility through an optional secondary device. Just still confused how all of this ties together.

In my case MS has replaced my cautious pessimism with outright confusion. I guess that's an improvement. Hah.

I have no interest in their TV/Cable services though, so I wonder what hoops if any the core gamer has to go through to use this next gen setup purely for games.

Sony should have made you buy another PS3 Minimini so you can hook it up to PS4 just so you can play PS3 games on PS4 when you in fact already have a PS3.

Yea thats soooooo much better.

It is. Now I don't have to worry about losing my content when my 360 dies and MS have stopped making them/they are extremely hard to find on the market.

It's also better than a streaming solution for the exact same reasons people don't want an always online console. Spotty connection, data caps, etc.

Zeppelin

*hardware architect mode on*

Couldn't they just have put this mini-360 or whatever it is in the Durango and made another more expensive SKU? Just tack it on as a daughter card or something!

Well, it puts everything in its place if true. New Xbox and PS4 will be pretty much comparable devices and things such as price, exclusive games and other factors will define the leader (but I think that WW picture won't change much - Xbox for US/UK, PS4 for the rest of the world).

flattie

This is the dumbest idea ever. Buying a console that piggybacks off another console to give me BC from my last console doesn't sound like the best way to go about this.

Really? Sounds like a decent solution. This way would mean no elaborate work around and inevitable compromises to the system proper in order to satisfy the minority, while still offering the option to those who find high value in BC.

This makes complete sense to me.

Backward compatibility is important to me but will come at an additional cost where as that cost doesn't immediately exist for someone who doesn't care about BC.

This is actually a brilliant strategy.

May 21 is soooo ffaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr aaaawwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

I wonder if the power bricks are only going to get larger this generation. I mean, the previous ones were already bigger than some consoles.

And having one for the Durango AND the add-on? Whoowee.

Kyoufu

I'm thinking this hardware solution is better than Gaikai's streaming solution. Gaikai will probably take a long time to get a decent amount of PS3 games on their network, right?

With add-on hardware we can play every 360 game on the Durango UI, which would be great if you could use software features like streaming.

MechDX

What is even more confusing than this whole Durango issue is that there are 4 threads about the same thing and I am getting confused. lol

HT UK

This makes sense really.

It offers BC to those users that want it, without increasing the price of the system for everyone else.

I'm not exactly sure why the mini 360 requires internet connection in the first place.

It's not an attachment.

It's a new standalone 360 revision. Durango can 'control' it (and, I guess, other 360s) to let you play 360 software on the new 360, through your Durango. So if you want to play 360 software, you go to your Durango, and it will show you 360 games installed on the 360. Select a game, and it will play. It's actually playing on the 360, but the user has the convenience of operating through Durango only for both their Durango and 360 software.

Think of it like cloud streaming or remote playing of games. Except instead of the game running on a remote server in the cloud, it'll be running off your locally connected 360.
Hows it not an attachment if its useless without the Durango?

Yes, that's along the lines of what I'm expecting. I also expect that you won't need to have the new Xbox mini for that functionality, Durango will connect to Xbox 360 S, too.

For people wondering what's the point of the add-on if you can just plug in your existing 360, outside of obvious convenience, it provides a way for consumers new to the Xbox ecosystem to enjoy last gen games without having to buy a separate machine to do so - not unlike buying a PS3 to play PS2 games (in addition to PS3 games obv) if you never owned a PS2 before.

Of course this is assuming the add-on is cheap.

Foxix Von

While I hate the way this would operate, at the very least it pushes sony to release that weird patented USB BC dongle thing. That would be much more functional. I just want these companies to properly compete with each other.

syllogism

No its for people who are getting the Durango with it, since you can't use it without the Durango. Unless there's a hard drive on it and you can download games.
It's possible, although very unlikely, that you can't play 360 games with it without Durango, but there is no way you can't use it for other functions as it's specifically touted as the apple tv competitor. It's not just an addon for Durango.

Rhindle

The rumors of “always online required” comes from the smaller Xbox unit which may not have a disc drive and like Apple TV it would require a network connection and internet to provide any real functionality. It may be possible they will design both consoles to be stackable.
This actually makes a lot of sense. We've known for while now that they're planning on releasing a drive-less set-top box that plays XBLA and media content.

I do think the main Durango SKU will be designed to be "always on" to use a lot of its features - but then again, that's no different than the current 360 interface.

What is a better option for BC? Put teh 360 hardware in every SKU of the console so that everybody pays for it? No thanks
I'd rather they include BC hardware and leave out Kinect 2... let Kin2 be an additional $100-150 purchase for those who want it.

GavinGT

Banned
It's a cheap standalone 360 that also interfaces with Durango. It plays retail and XBLA games, so long as they're downloaded from the store. I don't know why "add-on" is being bandied about. And if any 360 interfaces with Durango, you're essentially calling the Xbox 360 a Durango add-on, when it clearly also functions as a standalone device.

JaggedSac

I have no interest in their TV/Cable services though, so I wonder what hoops if any the core gamer has to go through to use this next gen setup purely for games.

Plug into electricity, plug into tv, place game in disk tray. Enjoy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've got no problem with handling backwards compatibility through an optional secondary device. Just still confused how all of this ties together.

In my case MS has replaced my cautious pessimism with outright confusion. I guess that's an improvement. Hah.

So far the only stuff we're looking at it being able to run multiple games at once and hot swap them. This doesn't appeal to everyone though, and is again something that's probably more suited towards apps/app pinning Windows 8 style.

In another thread I suggested this functionality could be used to make cross-game invites faster. For instance, you could always have Halo MP selected to be on reserve on the RAM and so when someone invites me to a game it goes straight into the MP and into lobby. I'm not sure if that's actually possible but that's my idea on how they can make use of that for gamers.

Top Bottom