• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Leaks: BC for NextBox to be an add on, can play offline

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Providing the option for BC is always better than none. Can't believe its even a debate.

As always, options are viewed as a bad thing - personally I'd be up for selling my 360 and buying a mini so I can fit it all. Forcing BC on the early PS3 created high costs - people should get the choice.

lockload

lol title doesnt mentioned the main point of all that the console will not require being online to play games and will also play used games

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How is this cool when BC was supposed to be a given in the first place?

Now having to buy a second Xbox to sit next to your 720 is considered BC?

I wouldn't consider this backwards compatibility, but it is a nice way to make using your old machine more convenient*. It actually seems like a pretty obvious idea to me, that if your new machine cannot play old software, allow it to act as a hub for your old machine, so people can play old software on their old machine by interfacing with the new machine...keeps the point of interaction with the user in one place instead of two. Maybe that seems like a small convenience but I think it's a good one.

* I am assuming this will work with existing 360s too. Would be crappy if not, since I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't work with existing machines over the network.

That's nice, if true. Can't wait for this thing to be revealed -- let's set the record straight and see what's what.

Complete opposite from previous rumors, so now I have no idea what to think. Wish the official reveal was sooner. 6 more weeks or rumors could get crazy.

Recall

It's an interesting way of doing it, different architecture needs different hardware. I like that they at least have thought about offering a choice to those who want it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yep, this is my understanding of it also. An internet connection will be required for some features, but you will be able to play offline/play if your connection drops.

What needs to be known now if: is online connection required to start Xbox or not? Given the big focus on TV/Cable functions and all the other rumours, I'm thinking so, but let's see.

What is a better option for BC? Put teh 360 hardware in every SKU of the console so that everybody pays for it? No thanks

Keep the 360 you already paid upwards of $200-300 for and continue to use it.

There's that option.

I can only see this as a benefit for those that never actually got a 360 to begin with.

keit4

Banned
potentially brilliant, sales-wise.

You make MS supporters essentially:

-buy their brand new next-gen console
-buy a new (mini) 360 with no disc-drive so the new console can play old games

And people are applauding this?

Why not? If you already have a 360, you can play games on it, but if you don't you can solve this problem buying a cheaper add on for Durango.

GavinGT

Banned

Wow. It's amazing how people's expectations get warped by these media leaks.

We've known for fucking years that BC wouldn't be feasible. It was never a given on PS4 or Durango.

Vire

If the add-on doesn't have a disc tray, could you use the disc tray for the Durango to put in your old games?

I really don't get the purpose of all of this.

Just hook up your old 360 to the TV.

Yeah, but why? The example in the text has you putting a physical 360 disk into the Durango.

It's an odd requirement for sure. Perhaps some sort of verification process? Maybe, although this is more of an 'out there' idea, you can download the digital version of whatever disc you put into the Durango?

MechDX

I wouldn't consider this backwards compatibility, but it is a nice way to make using your old machine more convenient. It actually seems like a pretty obvious idea to me, that if your new machine cannot play old software, allow it to act as a hub for your old machine, so people can play old software on their old machine by interfacing with the new machine...keeps the point of interaction with the user in one place instead of two. Maybe that seems like a small convenience but I think it's a good one.

I think its more of a selling point to the hardcore crowd. Casuals wont give a damn but the dedicated people will just stare at that dangling carrot and try to bite sooner or later...

I really have no idea.

You're paying 100-150 dollars for BC.

potentially brilliant, sales-wise.

You make MS supporters essentially:

-buy their brand new next-gen console
-buy a new (mini) 360 with no disc-drive so the new console can play old games

And people are applauding this?

So what happens here is this mini has no disc drive so people have to rebuy everything off of Games on Demand making their 360 discs useless taking this approach. Sony got the same flack for PSP games having to be rebought to work on Vita. This is going to go over very well.

UberTag

Would be hysterical if the "always online" rationale was configured into the Stingray 360 remodel and not the Durango.
BC through an add-on accessory makes sense too provided that it's not cost-prohibitive.

As it is, I'm not putting much stock into a bunch of rumors that fly in the face of everything we've had leaked thus far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, but why? The example in the text has you putting a physical 360 disk into the Durango.
Some sort of DRM to prevent emulation from other sources probably. Also consider the Xbox mini has no disc drive and is DD only so it's probably their form of DRM to avoid manipulation. Depends on the connection type.

TBH it's quite a stupid solution but its better than wasting money on including BC on Durango.

whitehawk

Banned
Durango itself will also always be online like any other device (correct with rumors), but it will not be a requirement to play local content and it will not prevent playing used games.
Why are they calling it always online then? The reason we were worried about it is the possibility to block local content and used games. This is just always online like we have with the 360 and PS3 already.

Tripolygon

Banned
Better than no or streaming BC. I love this approach, Sony should have followed suit.

Sony should have made you buy another PS3 Minimini so you can hook it up to PS4 just so you can play PS3 games on PS4 when you in fact already have a PS3.

Yea thats soooooo much better.

Foxix Von

Yeah, exactly. Still doesn't explain the need for a persistent internet connection. Are all original 360 games going to be streamed ala Sony's Gaikai ambitions? If the disk goes into the Durango but is handled by the attached box, why would an internet connection be required?

Or is the entire online connection required thing bogus? For both pieces of hardware?

I thought it was because of kinect? They were shooting for natural speech recognition and that type of function uses servers to process the voice info right? Someone correct me if that rumor was debunked.

Sendou

Why are they calling it always online then? The reason we were worried about it is the possibility to block local content and used games. This is just always online like we have with the 360 and PS3 already.

If that's the case then I don't understand how it's "(correct with rumors)". Wouldn't that rather directly contradict all the rumours?

You don't have to do anything. This is for people who don't want two completely different xbox's hooked up to play both generations of games. It's a bit inelegant but it's better than nothing.

They're basically offering the hardware that they would have to put in the durango to get BC as a stand alone sku to keep the price down.

stackable?

32x.jpg

Weren't the Xbox and Xbox 360 originally "stackable"? the old 360 had that inhale design and the xbox had a kind of convex top.

Zabka

If the add-on doesn't have a disc tray, could you use the disc tray for the Durango to put in your old games?

I really don't get the purpose of all of this.

Just hook up your old 360 to the TV.

Less stuff hooked into my TV and I can retire my ancient Elite that has a hard drive that is starting to chug.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So what happens here is this mini has no disc drive so people have to rebuy everything off of Games on Demand making their 360 discs useless taking this approach. Sony got the same flack for PSP games having to be rebought to work on Vita. This is going to go over very well.
This isn't marketed towards existing 360 owners but it does fuck over the retail 360 market if they flat out replace the 360.

Sounds disastrous if you ask me. But it's at the end of the gen. Anyone who has a 360 isn't going to buy a mini unless they want BC REALLY bad. And anyone who wants to buy a console will be buying the subsidized Durango or the Durango itself.

Considering this and the Verge's rumour kind of complete each other:

New 360 is always online, also to play games
Durango requires connection due to cable functions, but games don't rely on connection (i.e.: if connection has problems, games won't stop or anything).

This is what I understand.

I think this is a reasonable interpretation of the rumors, makes more sense than not letting you play games if your internet is down.

TriGen

I now wonder if the $500 or $300 sub rumor is wrong. The way it's worded is that Microsoft is doing this to control costs. It seems like Durango could be less than $500 without the BC add-on/set-top feature stuff. Maybe $400, then another $100 for the add-on? That would be nice. Though, I guess pricing will depend on competition, so maybe nothing's set in stone.

Wow. It's amazing how people's expectations get warped by these media leaks.

You're assuming it has to sit next to your 720. The optimist in me thinks it's similar to what gofreak is saying: it's a networked device that can plug into any TV (like an AppleTV or Roku), plays 360 games, and somehow streams those games back to the 720 (giving it BC). The idea would be that the 720 becomes a sort of media hub and Stingrays are media extenders.

If you're a single-tv household it loses some value, but if you're in the market for a Roku or whatever then if priced right this could hold a lot of value. It would also align with the cable integration rumors because I think most methods being pushed out now are a master, hdd-equipped cable box and networked boxes for other TVs.

What needs to be known now if: is online connection required to start Xbox or not? Given the big focus on TV/Cable functions and all the other rumours, I'm thinking so, but let's see.

Agreed. I think there will be a requirement whereby it needs to have an online connection when booting, perhaps for verification purposes (ties in with the rumour that games install to the hard drive and no longer use the disc).

Vire

For me it would mean I can move my 360 to the bedroom, but still be able to play 360 games in the living room.

Right, but how is it any different than just buying a second 360?

This isn't coming with the system, it's a separate add-on.

My understanding of the devices;

XBOX360 Mini device
- No disc drive, so it's essentially useless as a standalone XBOX for gaming, but good for TV functionality alone
- Requires an internet connection to function
- Access to the XBL marketplace and whatnot (so it can play downloadable titles)
- Will share some features of the Durango TV (IPTV) functionality (to combat Apple TV)
- Required to play 360 games, when connected with the Durango, can NOT play 360 discs when not connected

Durango
- The new 'new' XBOX
- Plays Durango games etc, uses Kinect functionality
- Will not play 360 games, you must hook up the Mini device once you insert a 360 disk to play (you put the 360 disc in the Durango disc tray, but it runs only when connected with the Mini)
- Requires an internet connection for TV functionality
- Plays used games
- Plays offline games

Top Bottom