• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG Tech: Dark Souls 3 Patch 1.11 PS4 Pro Frame Rate Test (Unlocked Frame-rate)

Source (Video)
Stats

A frame rate test showing the performance of Dark Souls 3 on Patch 1.11 running on PS4 Pro.

Performance ranges from 33-60 fps throughout the whole video, with performance mostly in the mid-high 40s, with the 30s as the absolute lowest in two parts of the video. Overall performance averages around 50 fps.

In areas such as
the High Wall of Lothric, Undead Settlement and Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
the performance ranges around 45-50 fps.

Please watch the video if you can, the performance isn't as bad as it may sound in this thread, having a frame-rate in the mid-high 40s provides a lot more fluidity to the visuals and gameplay experience.

EddvMkp.gif

Card Boy

Banned
Do they at least give you the option to lock it to 30FPS or you screwed like FF15?

edit: looking at the video it isn't that bad. Mostly sits at 50 fps.

Foxxsoxx

Hmm I might be okay with this.

Resolution was the safe bet, it just depends on how much this fluctuates. I'd love to replay the game if it stayed 50-60 most of the time.

Guymelef

I knew it...
Why bother?

I'm not mad about unlocked framerate, but frame pacing still present.

Some day Platinum and From will be competent on the tech side...

That HQ mode is bad compared to the previous lite mode it had.
It's really not that bad. I played 60 hours on it. Anyways opinion and all but I feel it is always exaggerated.

really not a fan of this trend of unlocking framerates without giving us option to cap it to 30fps..
The issue here is that they just unlocked the frame rate. Improvements to visual or resolution would have been more welcome.

I don't get Gaf sometimes. While not perfect and with its own set of problems the unlocked solution still offers a lot of benefits.

Unless it is 60fps, with highest settings and 4K resolution the game is ruined.

*shakes head*

Im very ok with the latest DS3 patch.

I don't get Gaf sometimes. While not perfect and with its own set of problems the unlocked solution still offers a lot of benefits.

*shakes head*

The issue steams from not having an option to lock at 30.. since the current framerate is all over the place.

raven777

*shakes head*

There are people who prefer solid locked 30fps over variable fluctuating 40~60fps.
I don't mind these variable unlocked framerate as long as they give an option for locked 30fps which I would chose over this 60fps.

There are people who prefer solid locked 30fps over variable fluctuating 40~60fps.
I don't mind these variable unlocked framerate as long as they give an option for locked 30fps which I would chose over this 60fps.
The game in your avatar has frame rate fluctuating to 40-60 fps though ;)

Ellite25

What's wrong with a variable frame rate? I play some games on PC and it's always a variable framerate, doesn't bother me at all. I thought DS3 looked good in that video.

raven777

The game in your avatar has frame rate fluctuating to 40-60 fps though ;)

yea I wish Nier would have option for solid locked 30fps as well. The only pass I give is that the frame seems more stable during battle and fluctuates in weird places that matters less(non-battle). I still would prefer solid 30fps if they couldn't do solid 60fps of course.

Tagyhag

What's wrong with a variable frame rate? I play some games on PC and it's always a variable framerate, doesn't bother me at all. I thought DS3 looked good in that video.

Some people are ok with playing wildly fluctuating framerates, but that's not everyone. Especially when it messes with the timing in games like Dark Souls.

What they should have done, is have this, but ALSO add a 30FPS cap.

Ellite25

Some people are ok with playing wildly fluctuating framerates, but that's not everyone. Especially when it messes with the timing in games like Dark Souls.

What they should have done, is have this, but ALSO add a 30FPS cap.
Yeah, more choices are always better. I played DS3 on PC and the framerate varied, didn't bother me in the least though.

convo

really not a fan of this trend of unlocking framerates without giving us option to cap it to 30fps..

This is bizarre but maybe not strange for their first attempt at the pro. Getting dlc for the first dark souls seemed like some magic trick From wasn't capable of but at least they got sort of better at it.
Developers should be following Nioh's example for the future. This is a weird surprise,i think this requires more feedback from the community.

Vuze

Fluctuating framerate is perfectly fine when FreeSync or Gsync are used but no thanks to that without this tech. Atleast PS4 Pro Plus can potentially push it further it then.

Planet

It's like they are mentally incapable of comprehending "smooth". They look at the words of the angry mob and have no clue at all why they are upset. "Look here, we gave you more FPS! More is better, isn't it? Frame Pacific what? Bloodborne is 30 FPS slready!"

Top Bottom