• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Sony can say whatever they want but if PS4 is 6+ months, after nextbox I am out. Not waiting this time

If the PS4 is launched 6+ months after the next box and is not as powerful, a lot of people will feel the same.

The PS3 has a strong 2013 lineup unlike the 360 which is a ghost town.

Hydrargyrus

Sony can say whatever they want but if PS4 is 6+ months, after nextbox I am out. Not waiting this time

Same here.

I expect, at least, for PS4 to be released at the same time WW with similar power to xbox8 or, if it's released after 6+ months, there should be a huge leap...

DBT85

ROFLMAO. Sony patents the most insane shit. They really do.

Why doesnt sony ever patent anything that makes sense?

MS patented in game music and cross game chat and the driving line in Forza. Nintendo patented that awesome D pad.

Sony patents this weird shit.

Sony were granted over 2,000 patents in 2011 & 2010, over 1,500 in 2009 & 2006, just under 1,500 in 2008 & 2007.

Suffice it to say we get the tiniest of glimpses of what else they are toying with.

That's the point. They haven't said anything yet they're getting all the headlines and column inches.

Well there haven't been many legit leaks on the PS4. With durango, we've had the whole D@E thing, the crytek dev tweet, the official doc leak, etc. PS4? Nothing concrete other than the code name and the Sony patent with the APU + GPU tech. I'm actually impressed with how close Sony has kept with this whole thing, so far.

Until maybe like a PS Meeting or E3 or something, where they actually start showing cards I don't think the whole "hype" battle means anything.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Well there haven't been many legit leaks on the PS4. With durango, we've had the whole D@E thing, the crytek dev tweet, the official doc leak, etc. PS4? Nothing concrete other than the code name and the Sony patent with the APU + GPU tech. I'm actually impressed with how close Sony has kept with this whole thing, so far.

Until maybe like a PS Meeting or E3 or something, where they actually start showing cards I don't think the whole "hype" battle means anything.

if they are making a ps4,then they really managed to keep it under wraps

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
i feel like ms is again running away with hype while sony is still focused on ps3

What are you basing this off of though? A thread of Chinese rumors and some other speculation thread?

360 has a huge install base, by that nature alone there will be hype. PS3 has a following of its own.

Let's wait and see what's there for both before soiling our pants for any of these systems. I refuse to be be over hyped based on name or past successes.

I'm definitely interested to see these systems shown so these rumor threads about their existence come to and end though.

if they are making a ps4,then they really managed to keep it under wraps

maybe they're in such bad shape they won't be able to mass produce a ps4 :p

not really indeed, we know nothing on PS4, I mean nothing.

Other then devs(those that he contacted) are less confident in PS4 (because they know nothing)- from aegis.

With all due respect to Jeff, his posts are not source, rumor or leak. just speculation.

just because some polygon dude doesn't know what's going on with the ps4 doesn't mean it's not happening, it's under/overpowered, or anything else.

Globox_82

Banned
Not really. If you've been following on more hardcorish places like GAF then the writing is pretty visible on the wall. They just haven't had any high visibility stuff.

Other then devs(those that he contacted) are less confident in PS4 (because they know nothing)- from aegis.

With all due respect to Jeff, his posts are not source, rumor or leak. just speculation.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
We had a run of PS4 rumours with some that were very very specific, during a time when things were pretty quiet about 720 and relatively non-specific.

You're not always going to have matching rumours arriving at the same time for each.

We had a run of PS4 rumours with some that were very very specific, during a time when things were pretty quiet about 720 and relatively non-specific.

You're not always going to have matching rumours arriving at the same time for each.

This is true, but of late I'm hearing nothing about PS4 and floods of new info on Durango. Odd.

I would say that there's some fire behind that APU+GPU rumour, considering that patent.

Peaks and valleys my friends peaks and valleys.

Aren't there new dev kits going out this month? Maybe we might hear something by the end of this month.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is what I fear, that PS4 is 6+ months after nexbox. Sometime in 2014. Hope not
I've said it before but I have a feeling that Microsoft is going to aim for September for an early fall launch while Sony is likely aiming for November. Those couple months of finalization involve a lot more developer communication.

Sony has to target this year or early next .

I think they should leave their played out FUD marketing campaigns that they love to do, and did do the DC and Xbox 360 with varying degrees of success, and just give US what we want and on time.

And I still believe they will, why release all their games in the 1st half of the year?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

now I'd normally say you're being a bit silly for the sake of a short delay - but I'm seriously getting blue balls from waiting for the next gen so I'd probably be the same.

You're right. I said almost exactly this in another thread. All we know is that Sony is going AMD. Nothing more.

I believe it's natural for the western company to dominate the leaks in the west.

Around this time in 2011, Vita leaks were all over the place. We had specs, pictures of prototypes, the whole nine. And the Vita didn't even make it to store shelves that year. I don't buy this idea that "western companies dominate leaks in the west."

Might as well just call this right now. There will be no PS4 released in 2013. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

I don't mind an additional six month delay if the tech is more advanced. And I'm not just talking graphics and game tech.

Sony has the Gran Turismo series. I will get the next PS whenever it comes out.

You're right. I said almost exactly this in another thread. All we know is that Sony is going AMD. Nothing more.
Not true at all. We knew they were originally targeting Steamroller and have now moved onto Jaguar for CPU. We know they were originally targeting 2-4 GB of GDDR5, but are probably now going for DDR4. The 18 CU, 1.8TF number has been thrown around a lot for the GPU. There have been plenty PS4 rumors.

iceatcs

There is different kind of rumours made people have different opinions.
for example it seem that people willing to believe more if the leak came from friend/family of fake/wannabe/less real developer (no real devs will share NDA to others), than the leaks from some paperworks.

One thing I remember was that there was a Pastebin post from someone (probably from a development studio or publisher) that said "Orbis" was indeed the codename/name of PS4 (together with some specs) and I think this was in December of 2011. News about Orbis being the PS4 codename/name only surfaced at around March of 2012.

Not true at all. We knew they were originally targeting Steamroller and have now moved onto Jaguar for CPU. We know they were originally targeting 2-4 GB of GDDR5, but are probably now going for DDR4. The 18 CU, 1.8TF number has been thrown around a lot for the GPU. There have been plenty PS4 rumors.

We know that they changed ram (or the amount). And honestly we are guessing Jaguar. We don't have anything definitive pointing to that. Last rumor is that they were using an A10 for some kits.

Well those have been rather vague and unreliable leaks. If a member from NeoGAF, B3D, etc. would start hinting, confirming, etc on certain rumours that would be different. 2-4GB DDR4 would be really disappointing and even if GDDR5 will someday be out of the mainstream focus it will take a while until DDR4 can takeover the place - until then any medium/top GPU will use GDDR5. Furthermore any DDR4 solution needs eSRAM/eDRAM and this is expensive and puts future revisions in jeopardy aswell.

I sincerely doubt that Sony could mass produce PS4 in time if they started customizing Steamroller from the scratch at this point. Jaguar centric design is probably finished by now (at least on "paper") and to start all over with Steamroller would delay PS4 to at least summer 2014. And since we all know summer isn't really a popular time to be launching anything, PS4 would end up being delayed until fall 2014. giving X720 a year head start again.

Do we even know if there is so much customization? I always assumed that the approach is to use "off shelf" components and I doubt there is much difference between putting a Jaguar or a Steamroller core into your console especially if you have still a lot of time - surely Sony got the information about a delay/on-schedule Steamroller sooner than the CES presentation yesterday.

We know that they changed ram (or the amount). And honestly we are guessing Jaguar. We don't have anything definitive pointing to that. Last rumor is that they were using an A10 for some kits.

We do hope they upped the amount. Since there is no Kaveri plattform a A10 might be the closest there is - especially if there are devkits this month and the (final) next iteration comes this summer according to rumours we will get more information or at least updated rumours.

One thing I remember was that there was a Pastebin post from someone (probably from a development studio or publisher) that said "Orbis" was indeed the codename/name of PS4 (together with some specs) and I think this was in December of 2011. News about Orbis being the PS4 codename/name only surfaced at around March of 2012.
http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0
So, apparently, a lot of game developers have recently received the new PS4 and XBox 3 specifications so they can be ready when the prototype devkits drop. And I got ahold of them.

I tried to leak them to Engadget, but they weren't going to print it without independent confirmation, and no one is going to confirm this shit because they like their jobs. But being a jobless student, I figured someone should get some laughter out of this. So, here's the rundown.

No firm date has been set for either, but currently they are stating that they are both setting to launch for the Holiday season in 2013. Codename of XB3 is "Durango". PS4 Codename is "Orbis".

Both consoles are going to have Blu-Ray, with support for Single-Layer and Dual-layer, and higher-fidelity versions of their current motion control systems.

The X-Box 3 is going to have an 8-core 64-bit processor (assumedly an i7 or similar design) rated at 1.2 Teraflops. The PS4 will feature a 4-core 32-bit processor. XB3 will be using a GPU running support for DirectX 11, while the PS4 will be using an OpenGL 4 GPU. XB3 is specified to use 4 GB RAM, and the PS4 will be shipped with 2GB.

Specifications state that the PS4 will have *NO* hard drive by default, while the XB3 will come with a 500GB Hard Drive with 8GB of Flash memory. The XB3 will also have a 24/7 connectivity system which has not been entirely elaborated on, with coming support for cloud-based connectivity in 2015/2016.

Why do I have this? Well, let's just say that some major developers like EA games are currently very pissed because the PS4 specs are shitty compared to the next XBox and besides limiting their abilities in making more impressive games for the new Playstation, it's also going to shit up cross-platform titles in the same way that the lack of Blu-ray and Standard Hard Drive did with the XBox this generation, and Sony's not listening to their pleas for less shitty hardware. Right now, programmers are pretty much looking at it and comparing the two consoles like one is a high-end gaming PC and the other's a piece of shit eMachines unit from Walmart's $200 special (including monitor).

EDIT: The prototype PS4's will start hitting developers around Q3 2012.

i-Lo

http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0
So, apparently, a lot of game developers have recently received the new PS4 and XBox 3 specifications so they can be ready when the prototype devkits drop. And I got ahold of them.

I tried to leak them to Engadget, but they weren't going to print it without independent confirmation, and no one is going to confirm this shit because they like their jobs. But being a jobless student, I figured someone should get some laughter out of this. So, here's the rundown.

No firm date has been set for either, but currently they are stating that they are both setting to launch for the Holiday season in 2013. Codename of XB3 is "Durango". PS4 Codename is "Orbis".

Both consoles are going to have Blu-Ray, with support for Single-Layer and Dual-layer, and higher-fidelity versions of their current motion control systems.

The X-Box 3 is going to have an 8-core 64-bit processor (assumedly an i7 or similar design) rated at 1.2 Teraflops. The PS4 will feature a 4-core 32-bit processor. XB3 will be using a GPU running support for DirectX 11, while the PS4 will be using an OpenGL 4 GPU. XB3 is specified to use 4 GB RAM, and the PS4 will be shipped with 2GB.

Specifications state that the PS4 will have *NO* hard drive by default, while the XB3 will come with a 500GB Hard Drive with 8GB of Flash memory. The XB3 will also have a 24/7 connectivity system which has not been entirely elaborated on, with coming support for cloud-based connectivity in 2015/2016.

Why do I have this? Well, let's just say that some major developers like EA games are currently very pissed because the PS4 specs are shitty compared to the next XBox and besides limiting their abilities in making more impressive games for the new Playstation, it's also going to shit up cross-platform titles in the same way that the lack of Blu-ray and Standard Hard Drive did with the XBox this generation, and Sony's not listening to their pleas for less shitty hardware. Right now, programmers are pretty much looking at it and comparing the two consoles like one is a high-end gaming PC and the other's a piece of shit eMachines unit from Walmart's $200 special (including monitor).

EDIT: The prototype PS4's will start hitting developers around Q3 2012.

Yea, I remember this and it smelled like a massive load of BS apart from the RAM figure at that time.

The only set of rumours I remember that made headway in recent time on this forum were how every iteration of dev kit grew more powerful, how there was supposed to be a second last iteration of PS4 dev kit made available to the devs in January (this is what I am hoping would be the big source of leaks by the end of this month) with the final kit being available in summer and finally, two dev kits, featuring 8GB and 16GB were shipped to devs which could indicate Sony's flexibility on RAM amount based on third party feedback.

Maybe Sony considered going the Wii U route, but pressure from developers and competition from MS and others made them reconsider it.

Good choice.

I wonder if Sony will go with less ram with higher BW and clock speeds and use that rumored 16gb that we heard for a while as a onboard flash used specfically for data caching and context switching.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Agreed... there hasn't been as specific or comprehensive a rumour for any of the systems as this one. If it was legit, we know more about what's inside PS4 (or was planned to be at that point) than we do about either Durango or even Wii U! There's been plenty of reports and whispers about it. I've no idea what's real and what's not among those, but they're there.

Elios83

Don't forget that these are just rumors and even if somewhat accurate (read: not completely made up) at the time, the situation evolves and changes pretty quickly. Also it's not clear if they refer to the dev kit, current working specs or target specs. So they cannot be taken for granted.
Rumors about PS4 started talking about a single APU with 2GB of unified GDDR5, now the latest rumors talk about a CPU with GPGPU and a discrete (desktop part) GPU, RAM has been upped but we still don't know anything about the memory system (unified or split memory? DDR3/4+GDDR5 or DDR3/4+embedded?).
Although I understand that people are really looking forward to have more infos it would be better not to fall into the trap of people 'publishing' new rumors every week.
Also about the release date I think that PS4 will definetly be released worldwide during the 2013 fiscal year which ends in March 2014. But Sony also knows that in the US they cannot afford to be last to the party, I think that internally they must be doing everything they can to release at the end of the year, although a release in March wouldn't be the end of world considering the first months sales are basically determined by supply. Different case for 6+ months delays compared to the next Xbox, in that case they would just lose a lot of potential customers who are not going to wait this time.

Gorillaz

I would say leak wise Sony is most likely only talking to first party and a few key 3rd party companies like EA.

So unless someone here is working close with AMD, Naughty Dog or EA then we aren't hearing shit for awhile

Tho I am a little surprised if the "sony ninja's" manage to seriously keep it all under wraps leading up to E3. They kind of did it with The Last of Us but that is a little different since it's software.

Didn't someone in this thread post something and that shit got removed within seconds/minutes?

Taken from semiA:

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130109_581168.html

DeadMeat from SemiA said:
There is a long interview with Sony CEO Hirai Kazuo(The former president of SCEI) on the future direction of Sony and SCEI.

He spells out two principles that will direct the path that Sony will take.

1. Cutting loss is much more important than holding onto market share. <= This would mean all future Sony hardware will be sold at a profit.

2. Gaikai streaming is at the center of Sony's content strategy, where Gaikai streaming will be made available to Bravias and Blu-Ray players. This is a shift away from "Dedicated gaming hardware" to "Casual streamed gaming everywhere on any device".

I'm quoting because I can't read Japanese.

Can anybody dig in?

TEXAN

Banned
http://model4.wordpress.com/2013/01...eport-orbis-and-orbi-joint-sega-sony-project/

MODEL4 can today exclusively reveal the Playstation Orbis (Consumer) and Sega Orbi (Amusement) are the same chipset.

Sega Orbi is set for reveal first at JAPEA in Chiba, Tokyo, Japan on the 15th of February with the PlayStation Orbis reveal to take place in Arizona on the 25th 10 days later.

AMD is set to provide the CPU & GPU for both platforms.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1691250&postcount=17510

07-Jan-2013, 01:25 #17510
Sonic

I'm lead to believe one new arcade hardware from SEGA will be based off of one of the two next gen consoles and AMD is providing CPU & GPU. That and it has no "ring" in its name.

Elios83

Taken from semiA:

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130109_581168.html

I'm quoting because I can't read Japanese.

Can anybody dig in?

The comment about market share and losses is made in reference to the TV business.
He says that they had to lose market share in the TV business to have chance to return to profitability in that business, hence there are fewer Sony TVs on sale these days.
Also at a global level he thinks that Sony needs to shrink and refocus around core business to be able to grow again.

About Gaikai he says that although it's a SCEJ acquistion in reality it will be benefit the whole Sony corporation, they plan to use to bring contents across many different products. It won't be just a Playstation thing.
That was expected considering that the same Playstation Network has been changed into Sony Entertainment Network.

Are these guys legit? New thread worthy if so.

Sega and Sony sitting on a three...

He also said to the verge that gaming is very important to them, and that PS3 is one of their most important devices that give them incredible reach to the consumers.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852976/sony-ceo-kaz-hirai-interview

Yeah I watched it but he just dodged it like he had cat reflexes. Pulled the 10 year Ps3 card so quick.

I love the way he laughs.

Are these guys legit? New thread worthy if so.

Sega and Sony sitting on a three...

Yeah I watched it but he just dodged it like he had cat reflexes. Pulled the 10 year Ps3 card so quick.

I love the way he laughs.

amn36.gif

Top Bottom