• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

The comment about market share and losses is made in reference to the TV business.
He says that they had to lose market share in the TV business to have chance to return to profitability in that business, hence there are fewer Sony TVs on sale these days.
Also at a global level he thinks that Sony needs to shrink and refocus around core business to be able to grow again.

About Gaikai he says that although it's a SCEJ acquistion in reality it will be benefit the whole Sony corporation, they plan to use to bring contents across many different products. It won't be just a Playstation thing.
That was expected considering that the same Playstation Network has been changed into Sony Entertainment Network.

Thank you. Glad the other guy also doesn't know how to read japanese. If there's one area where Sony has to press on, is on their stronger areas. Ps4 is a flagship project.

For example, James Bond was a flagship project for MGM even though they were financially in doubt, regarding their future. Imagine if they had decided to spend less on Skyfall, or on The Hobbit? They would be done by now.

With that I mean, Sony's best interest is to make PS4 as strong of a product as they can. Not cut corners.

amn36.gif

It just brings a smile to my face.

So the Sega and PS4 thing wasn't legit?

Neither was the Dreamcast 2.

Skip to about the very end. PS4 may not be out until 2016? Yes, I realize that they could still support the PS3 for 10 years while launching the PS4 before that time is up, but from the way it was said makes my gut say the PS4 is a long way out.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852976/sony-ceo-kaz-hirai-interview

Then Kaz did his job. There can't be any type of hint, especially from the CEO, about new hardware.
That PS4 talk is just bull. There is nothing to decipher from it.

Skip to about the very end. PS4 may not be out until 2016? Yes, I realize that they could still support the PS3 for 10 years while launching the PS4 before that time is up, but from the way it was said makes my gut say the PS4 is a long way out.

I remember Iwata or some other Nintendo executive said they wouldn't think about a new console until after the Wii had sold something like 50 million in the U.S. They then announced Project Cafe (now Wii U) very soon after saying that.

ps4 will come out this year or in 2014. they've stopped making ps2's, internal developers have hinted at big news this year, small hints of ps4 projects (like planetside2) and some other stuff.
he's not gonna tell everyone "yeah guys, ps4 is coming this year" without showing the hw and the games in a dedicated event just for that.

tipoo

Banned
ps4 will come out this year or in 2014. they've stopped making ps2's, internal developers have hinted at big news this year, small hints of ps4 projects (like planetside2) and some other stuff.
he's not gonna tell everyone "yeah guys, ps4 is coming this year" without showing the hw and the games in a dedicated event just for that.

I mean, I didn't expect him to announce it right then and there, but Josh didn't say anything about the 10 year lifecycle, Kaz volunteered that. Why would he do that if that topic wasn't even hinted at on a question searching for any details on the PS4? It was so open ended, he could have gone with anything, even just a "no comment", but he went for the ten year life cycle instead...

params7

Banned
I mean, I didn't expect him to announce it right then and there, but Josh didn't say anything about the 10 year lifecycle, Kaz volunteered that. Why would he do that if that topic wasn't even hinted at on a question searching for any details on the PS4? It was so open ended, he could have gone with anything, even just a "no comment", but he went for the ten year life cycle instead...

Don't worry about that is expected talk. Its because he still wants people to buy ps3's and get last of us on it instead of drooling over ps4. He knows even THE slightest hint from him will be torn apart by all major gaming press but he doesn't want next-gen hype clouding PS3 just yet.

There's also no way studios like GG are going to stay silent for 2+ more years. Something big is definitely abrewin and we'll know about it midyear this year.

you don't understand the concept of 10 year lifecycle, do you?
they've always talked about 10 years lifecycles for their consoles, even for the psp!
ps2 10 year lifecycle in 2005
psp 10 year lifecycle in 2008
ps3 10 year lifecycle in 2011
ps3 10 year lifecycle in 2007

Mario007

you don't understand the concept of 10 year lifecycle, do you?
they've always talked about 10 years lifecycles for their consoles, even for the psp!
ps2 10 year lifecycle in 2005
psp 10 year lifecycle in 2008
ps3 10 year lifecycle in 2011
ps3 10 year lifecycle in 2007
PSP might actually get those 10 years...only 2 more years to go and that 99 euro model seems to still be selling enough to warrant PSP production.

But you're right. They've also recently talked about Vita 10 year life cycle.

tipoo

Banned

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So in that AV Watch interview, his main 'game' answer seems to be addressing a question about where the game business is going, now that PS3 is getting on in age, and about Vita and its weak start. This is a wobbly interpretation of a wobbly machine translation, so if a human can fully translate the answer it'd be great :p

There's some of the usual '10 year cycle' stuff, and he makes the same comment he made to other journalists about Vita's sales.

He reiterates the same point about game being a core business for Sony.

On general trends he talks about how more and more people are enjoying games on devices like phones and tablets, and how alongside creating a gaming device in Vita, they started Playstation Mobile. And that it's still early but something they're building on.

He then goes on to mention how they also acquired Gaikai. He says that how they will take leadership in 'the age of streaming' is a big issue for them.

He says some stuff then that Google Translate can't get around at all.

But he seems to talk a bit about PS3 and Vita and the network, and suggestions of business models from publishers. And that they're now in a period of transition. He says something about 2013 in that context.

The first thing to do is use Gaikai's technology for business model transformation. He says the first priority is 'how do I change the business model of SCE'. In the future he says that 'Playstation' can be streamed to Bravia, blu-ray players and other devices. While SCE has acquired Gaikai, things won't necessarily end at SCE, but Sony too.

But the priority is to take advantage of it in SCE's business first and then look at others.

He says he thinks that how we enjoy games in the future will become increasingly diverse. Maybe it's streaming, maybe it's PS3, maybe its on Vita, or maybe something else. It'll spread.

He then seems to just talk historically more on the 10 year cycle stuff and how it was too early to judge PS3 back in 2007 (with an eye on Vita now etc.)

The first thing to do is use Gaikai's technology for business model transformation. He says the first priority is 'how do I change the business model of SCE'. In the future he says that 'Playstation' can be streamed to Bravia, blu-ray players and other devices. While SCE has acquired Gaikai, things won't necessarily end at SCE, but Sony too.

Business model transformation? 'Playstation' will be streamed to TV's and other devices? This could mean several different things, but it almost makes me think there might possibly be some truth to that rumor we heard a while back that one of the big three will not be releasing a new console. Could they be betting on streaming as the future? Are there some major advances in streaming tech in the works?

From a long-term strategic perspective, not releasing a console might actually make the most economic sense. We are already hearing arguments that with the onset of stacking tech, console hardware could become outdated very quickly. The physical, hardware-based home gaming console might be well on its way to becoming obsolete within a few years. The PS4 could become obsolete before it's even on the market long enough to manage turning a profit.

Nothing to do now but just hope for more leaks and wait and see what happens.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Business model transformation? 'Playstation' will be streamed to TV's and other devices? This could mean several different things, but it almost makes me think there might possibly be some truth to that rumor we heard a while back that one of the big three will not be releasing a new console. Could they be betting on streaming as the future? Are there some major advances in streaming tech in the works?

They need a local box also for a good long time to come.

However I think it's clearer now that they're probably not going to be just streaming demos...

It'll be another way to play 'playstation' alongside boxes like ps3/ps4/vita.

This is a huge shift on its own though if they do go the whole hog with it.

I think they'll finally unify playstation across their devices in the way they started doing with movies and music.

By the way, I would make a new thread about this...but it's probably better to wait for a proper translation...

meta4

Thank you. Glad the other guy also doesn't know how to read japanese. If there's one area where Sony has to press on, is on their stronger areas. Ps4 is a flagship project.

For example, James Bond was a flagship project for MGM even though they were financially in doubt, regarding their future. Imagine if they had decided to spend less on Skyfall, or on The Hobbit? They would be done by now.

With that I mean, Sony's best interest is to make PS4 as strong of a product as they can. Not cut corners.

It just brings a smile to my face.

Neither was the Dreamcast 2.

Skyfall is produced by Sony Columbia right? If there is one division of theirs that has churned huge hits its their movie business this year. Almost every alternate film that is coming out seems to be produced or distributed by them.

Gorillaz

^Skyfall does fall under Sony Columbia. Remember someone mentioning it here.

How did this get overlooked?

This along with Guerilla Games claiming it'll be their biggest year ever, makes me think PS4 is coming this year.

GG showing off Killzone 4? Or their new IP. Hyped as fuck especially if it is Killzone 4/ps4. Shit would look amazing.

tha_devil

From a long-term strategic perspective, not releasing a console might actually make the most economic sense. We are already hearing arguments that with the onset of stacking tech, console hardware could become outdated very quickly. The physical, hardware-based home gaming console might be well on its way to becoming obsolete within a few years. The PS4 could become obsolete before it's even on the market long enough to manage turning a profit.

Nothing to do now but just hope for more leaks and wait and see what happens.

Not going to happen, they will release a ps4.

But i could see them also offering ps4 through streaming, with a subscription plan, playing unlimited games for a said amount of money. That would be awsome. Especially if you could stream it to multiple devices like vita, bravia, xperia or vaio, all your save games are synced and you can just play it on any device that you want.

Skyfall is produced by Sony Columbia right? If there is one division of theirs that has churned huge hits its their movie business this year. Almost every alternate film that is coming out seems to be produced or distributed by them.

Not really no. It's a MGM production really, Sony was the distributor.

How did this get overlooked?

This along with Guerilla Games claiming it'll be their biggest year ever, makes me think PS4 is coming this year.

That's because it is, road to E3 will be glorious!

Because he's bragging that sony is actually still supporting ps3 at the end of its life... Like they did with the ps2.

Amazing that after 6-7 years some people still don't understand what ten year lifecyle means.

I asked this a while ago, but I'm really wondering how much worse the CPU will be if it's Jaguar vs Steamroller.

I'd hate for them to rush the gun, even if it meant making a 2013 release date, but maybe it's not that big of a deal...perhaps they can increase the jaguar cores to 8

I asked this a while ago, but I'm really wondering how much worse the CPU will be if it's Jaguar vs Steamroller.

I'd hate for them to rush the gun, even if it meant making a 2013 release date, but maybe it's not that big of a deal...perhaps they can increase the jaguar cores to 8

I wouldn't worry about it, Sony knows hardware, it will be a BEAST

Globox_82

Banned
I wouldn't worry about it, Sony knows hardware, it will be a BEAST

I hope so. I don't mind paying 599 euro for a beast tbh. I want those sony devs to have a beast to work with. Just no gimmicks this time. Just give us a beast ( i wrote beast 3 times) with regular DS (can be remodeled a bit) and BR. I don't want 4k, move, screen on DS and other trash.

Globox_82

Banned
i'm not doubting you or anything, but i think this is ban worthy if nothing happens, is it not?

lol it's sarcasm. Have you seen his question?

Some random joke post(sega thing) on the Internet and he asks if it is legit. Of course it isn't.

Can't believe you all thought I was being serious :X

For the record I don't even have a house lol

I am hyped for the PS4. Sony has never done me wrong as a gamer in the past so I'm going to stick with them for the next gen too. Crazy to think we will be playing PS4 games probably by this time next year.

I am hyped for the PS4. Sony has never done me wrong as a gamer in the past so I'm going to stick with them for the next gen too. Crazy to think we will be playing PS4 games probably by this time next year.
same here, they have kept me happy since 1998 ;) looking forward to psnext

Globox_82

Banned

Same here. Loved my time with PS1,PS2, and PS3(not over yet). So I am going with PS4, unless it turns out crap and nexbox is so much better. Even if PS4 ends up being a little weaker I am still going with PS4.

Second part agree as well. It crazy how 6 years have passed by....

Top Bottom