• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So from all the rumors taken together its seems 4GB of GDDR5 is most likely at this point?

4 GB of GDDR5 would be amazing, but I don't fully believe it. Seems 2 GB is all that's feasible right now.

Especially if you take into account some of the 2.5D stacking rumors.

What would be the point? The GDDR5 would be used for games. The stacked memory would be dedicated to OS features. 4 GB of unified GDDR5 it is.

That would be the point -- 2 GB for the GPU as VRAM, the stacked RAM as a cache and OS features.

I hope the 4 GB of GDDR5 rumor is true. That amount of extremely fast RAM would be beastly. But I wonder why people thought that this wasn't feasible? Something about the number of chips. Is stacking possible with GDDR5?

Proelite

That would be the point -- 2 GB for the GPU as VRAM, the stacked RAM as a cache and OS features.

I hope the 4 GB of GDDR5 rumor is true. That amount of extremely fast RAM would be beastly. But I wonder why people thought that this wasn't feasible? Something about the number of chips. Is stacking possible with GDDR5?

Either 16 chips clamshell or higher density GDDR5.

thuway

Wouldn't it be a waste of money and watts to use GDDR5 RAM for the OS?

I'm not the person making decisions, but I would believe Sony is avoiding adding to board complexity, programming for two OS's, and saving where they can. In the long run, it'll be like this generation where they are going to have to work hard to reduce that overhead. If I were making decision I would chuck in 1 GB of LPDDR3 like the one in Vita, but the additions to the board is probably a hindrance.

About that engadget amd interview: It's pretty impressive that they're running a pc game on it. Seems like it should help them gain some marketshare with something as awesome as that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeap + 1.84 TF GPU.

I wonder if it's 1.84 discreet with a .5 Tflop APU GPU. 2.34 total would be amazing and right about in line with what Epic wants. Combine that with a nice processor and 4Gb of fast RAM and they system will be damn nice.

Proelite

I wonder if it's 1.84 discreet with a .5 Tflop APU GPU. 2.34 total would be amazing and right about in line with what Epic wants. Combine that with a nice processor and 4Gb of fast RAM and they system will be damn nice.

It's APU only, 1.84 total, about 20-33% better than Durango.

thuway

No. Just one large APU customized to Sony's needs.

fake edit: beaten by Proelite :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's APU only, 1.84 total, about 20-33% better than Durango.

OK, cool. After reading what some B3D devs were saying about possible shader optimization as long as there is proper RAM numbers I'm OK with the 1.84 number.

What's the rumored Durango number again? 1.5?

If it's really APU only, with those specs, it shouldn't cost more than $399 at launch.
I've been expecting $399 for launch for a while. Maybe a bigger HDD option for $449. If they're not bundling with anything as complex as Kinect 2 they could really undercut MS in price.

Elios83

I'm not the person making decisions, but I would believe Sony is avoiding adding to board complexity, programming for two OS's, and saving where they can. In the long run, it'll be like this generation where they are going to have to work hard to reduce that overhead.

1GB of RAM will have to be dedicated to the OS and multitasking.
Wasting 1/4 of the whole memory for that and then be left with 3GB for games is not really efficient, they're wasting money there.
A more efficient approach is to have a lot of cheap memory for OS,multitasking and datas which don't have to be accessed really quickly and then reserve a pool of fast memory to be used for games.
Considering they'll have a discrete GPU it makes more sense to have split memory, 4GB DDR3/4 for CPU and 2GB GDDR5 for graphics.
Microsoft is supposed to go unified, but they're also supposed to go embedded :D it's kinda different from their situation.

Interesting thought they were persuaded to up the ram?

2GB looked really weak up against Xbox's rumored 8GB. Even if it was faster ram, that's a large deficit to overcome and would probably have made it challenging for multi-platform porting from PC/Xbox to PS4. I think I heard the rumor almost a year ago they were at 2GB but some internal teams like Naughty Dog/SCE Santa Monica were pushing the Sony corporate bean counters to include 4GB. So I'm not surprised at all. PS4 would be screwed with only 2GB.

Isn't 4gb bad news when the next Xbox is rumored to be at 8gb of ram?

Not really, quality of ram > quantity of ram.

Read a post on B3D where a developer was explaining that having slower RAM bandwidth means that GPU will be sitting in an unoptimized state. 40% of shaders won't even be in use as a result. You really need FAST RAM so that the GPU can operate at a maximum capacity.

4GB of GDDR5 is far better than anyone here imagined, and I would argue that it'll be much better than 8 GB of DDR3/4 w/ EDRAM

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Isn't 4gb bad news when the next Xbox is rumored to be at 8gb of ram?
Durango is rumored to have 8Gb of DDR3, which is slow. It'll also have a much larger OS overhead. Orbis is rumored to have 4Gb of fast RAM. Depending on how optimized the OS is is could beat out Durango in terms of RAM bandwidth available to games.

What about the CPU? Bulldozer cores or Steamroller cores?

How powerful is the CPU going to be in terms of flops?

Probably Jaguar cores.

Hum...Goes against credible rumours stating Durango is more powerful. If I were to bet on which hardware would be on top, I would not go with Sony's, imo.

There aren't any credible rumors stating Durango is more powerful. Just that Microsoft spent a lot of money making the architecture different. Why it needs to be so different, I have no clue, but the rumors have always been that on paper PS4 looks a bit more powerful in the GPU area, but there were also rumors that PS4 would be RAM limited with only 2 GB. This looks like it's not the case anymore, thankfully.

Durango probably will have a more powerful CPU based on the rumors, though.

Top Bottom