• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

i-Lo

With MS going big on PSU, I doubt Sony, with their placed importance on being #1 in hardware, will cut down on their console by only having a 125W Max system.

The first generation PS3 had a power supply of 380W (same as rumoured XB3 spec) and peaked at about 209W. It'll most likely be the same thing with XB3 as well as for PS4. The PSU for PS4 will very similar to PS3 in capacity and perhaps will peak between 210 and 250W.

wsippel

Banned
With MS going big on PSU, I doubt Sony, with their placed importance on being #1 in hardware, will cut down on their console by only having a 125W Max system.
From the document, it would seem Microsoft is targeting 50W, $50. An A10 would be a bit above that, actually. Basically, PS4 would be three Wii Us duct taped together, and Xbox 3 would be somewhere in-between. Still, the systems would be all in the same ballpark. 1TFLOPS tops. If the rumors/ leaks are correct.

Massa

If its strictly a PS4 accessory it could be like Amazon kindle and lock itself out of Google services and apps. If its only going to exist as a PlayStation device/accessory then it won't need the Google ecosystem. It could stick to PSN and PS Mobile access only.

It could, but then Sony as a whole would also be locked out of Google's ecosystem. That's how their Android licensing works, if you fork Android for one device you're automatically locked out for any other device. This would affect the entire Sony Mobile line-up of phones and tablets.

AzaK

From the document, it would seem Microsoft is targeting 50W, $50. An A10 would be a bit above that, actually. Basically, PS4 would be three Wii Us duct taped together, and Xbox 3 would be somewhere in-between. Still, the systems would be all in the same ballpark. 1TFLOPS tops. If the rumors/ leaks are correct.

If so, that'd be even better news for Wii U's prospects of "downports".

AOC83

Banned

What a load of bullshit.

It could, but then Sony as a whole would also be locked out of Google's ecosystem. That's how their Android licensing works, if you fork Android for one device you're automatically locked out for any other device. This would affect the entire Sony Mobile line-up of phones and tablets.

I don't think it works like that.

wsippel

Banned
What a load of bullshit.
You're obviously free to believe/ hope for whatever you want, but I didn't make that stuff up. I'm just working with current rumors and leaks. I don't even give a fuck. PS4 could be matchbox-sized, $99, 18TFLOPS and come with a built in coffeemaker for all I care. Probabably slightly less realitstic, but who knows, right...?

You're obviously free to believe/ hope for whatever you want, but I didn't make that stuff up. I'm just working with current rumors and leaks. I don't even give a fuck. PS4 could be matchbox-sized, $99, 18TFLOPS and come with a built in coffeemaker for all I care. Probabably slightly less realitstic, but who knows, right...?
Saying MS and Sony will give Nintendo a 1 or 2 years headstart, only to release a console that's in the same ballpark is not something I can call realistic either.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Lol this thread always good for some laughs
It can also be stacked easily if they decide to go that route and that would allow for performance greater than GDDR5 and a significantly lower cost. I don't think 2.5D or 3D RAM stacking will be ready in time for the PS4 but if it is DDR4 would probably be the best choice for that.
I talk to someone who does 3D RAM engineering. Sooner than expected if things go smoothly.

i-Lo

M°°nblade;44086662 said:
Saying MS and Sony will give Nintendo a 1 or 2 years headstart, only to release a console that's in the same ballpark is not something I can call realistic either.

Precisely. People claiming that Sony and MS should if they haven't already, follow Nintendo in terms of HW power (perhaps Nintendo over enthusiasts feel insecure) fail to think logically about the fact that it doesn't make sense to release a console with similar spec at least one year later.

StevieP

Banned
DDR4 is stated to consume 40% less power than DDR3 and about twice as fast. It makes all the more sense for a closed system with power constraints and performance requirements.

Twice as fast? No. First DDR4 is going to be fairly similar to DDR3 outside power consumption. It's still not going to be GDDRx, which GPUs seem to like a lot when it comes to things that matter for graphics chips.

In the "gaming" part of the PC-World you have GPUs with GDDR5 RAM and the DDR3 is used for the system. A console with only DDR3 would be seriously limited in bandwith and speed. I rather have less GDDR5/XDR2/DDR4 than triple of your cheap DDR3.

Unfortunately, people (including some console makers) prefer to be wowed by big numbers rather than speed.

M°°nblade;44086662 said:

It will be a 1 year head start, and even with a 100w power envelope it's going to be more powerful than the Wii U, obviously. Nothing to worry about in that regard.

Ashes

Banned
It'd be funny if Sony made a mouselike device that works on any surface. Or got rid of the ds3.

Now that would be a radical.

All you need is movement, eyes, and interaction buttons.

M°°nblade;44086662 said:

Stranger things can and will happen. But wsippel is fairly unbiased and well informed based of known data and leaks. I would trust him in his views and opinions in general.

You have no idea what you're going on about do you?

StevieP

Banned
You have no idea what you're going on about do you?

He was talking about the leaked 2010 MS planning document, I presume. Surely things have changed since that document, but that was the direction MS was originally headed. To a certain extent, I believe they still are doing many of those things in one form or another.

You can take a few things from below:

1) Wide I/O memory is tied to next generation Fusion and Stacked Logic.
2) Test equipment is being developed now but won't be ready for 2013. Custom test equipment (pre assembly) for very large production runs (game console volume) is possible now but expensive. Certain select parts may be pre-tested, others will have redundancy built in that allows bad circuits to be fused off.
3) Next refresh will be cheaper with yield testing before assembly.

https://www.advantest.com/aac/News/06072012_2.html said:
TOKYO, Japan, June 5, 2012 - Advantest Corporation (TSE: 6857, NYSE: ATE) today announced that a new product line of fully automated and integrated test and handling solutions for TSV based 2.5D and 3D products is under development. The concept model test cell dubbed, DIMENSION, integrates a high parallel test cluster along with singulated die and 3D die stack automated handling capabilities. At the ADVANTEST EXPO 2012 taking place on June 6-7 at the Tokyo International Forum, Advantest will display the concept test cell solution for die handling, test, and production line integration. From wafer to Known Good Die (KGD) and Known Good Stack (KGS), the DIMENSION concept shows the direction of 2.5D and 3D production-capacity, specification performance, and superb yield.

Enabling 2.5D and Partial Stack
2.5D and 3D-stack technologies offer outstanding improvements to density, power and performance. The primary concerns of this emerging architecture are 1. Delicate and thin die handling, 2. Active thermal management, and 3. Overall yield management. The DIMENSION concept addresses these issues with SmartDieCarrier (SmtDCTM) technology. SmtDCTM solutions provide die pick & place plus very fine pitch contact with both extreme precision and delicate soft touch handling. And Active Thermal Control (ATC) with real time power management achieves yield and specification compliance. Adding confident yield to the 3D equation the Dimension concept enables stacked device commodity.

Wide I/O DRAM
True TSV 3D applications deliver outstanding performance with superb power reduction and physical density benefits. The JEDEC Wide I/O Mobile DRAM provides 8X the bandwidth with 1/4 to 1/2 the I/O power of conventional DRAM architectures. But today’s market also demands highest yields with commodity class economy. Wide I/O DRAM and future 3D TSV heterogeneous devices will depend on KGS and superb productivity. The DIMENSION concept demonstrates KGD and KGS solutions for smart phones and tablets of tomorrow as well as the telecom routers and super computing CPUs now under development.

It will be a 1 year head start, and even with a 100w power envelope it's going to be more powerful than the Wii U, obviously. Nothing to worry about in that regard.
Do you have any specific information that would point to an end 2013 launch rather than a 2014 release?
I may have missed some info but I'm starting to doubt end 2013 because we still haven't heard anything officially from MS or Sony. The timespan between the announcement and a potential end 2013 launch is starting to get rather short to generate enough hype and I wonder if there will be enough next-gen worthy content ready to show.

I don't exactly worry that isn't not going to be more powerful. I expect it to be. But I do worry that it's not going to have enough oomph to decently run UE4 games with high IQ.

Stranger things can and will happen. But wsippel is fairly unbiased and well informed based of known data and leaks. I would trust him in his views and opinions in general.
Oh you

You're awfully pessimistic about MS/Sony's offering and optimistic about the Wii U. Leaks suggested a 360 with a 380W PSU. That document is years old. it's been pretty thoroughly discredited as no longer being the plan, if it ever was.

A 2010 document is not "current".

StevieP

Banned

It is (I think) the last legitimate *actual* leak outside some of those dev kit photos. Edit: When I say legitimate, I don't mean forum/grapevine stuff that we're accustomed to here at gaf (of which some is accurate and some isn't). I mean verified MS document - an actual leak.

Based on what?

The grapevine rumours suggest MS' console is further ahead in the pipeline. Though I fully expect both to release next holidays in some form.

wsippel

Banned
You're awfully pessimistic about MS/Sony's offering and optimistic about the Wii U. Leaks suggested a 360 with a 380W PSU. That document is years old. it's been pretty thoroughly discredited as no longer being the plan, if it ever was.
That particular leak also mentions a CPU that would consume 300W and cost about as much as a small car. To put it bluntly: It's fake.

And this really isn't about optimism or pessimism. I'm just looking at what we have and try to extrapolate from there. I don't know what either company is really up to. Maybe I'm completely wrong. But there are a few things people tend to ignore: Sony, and especially MS, focus heavily on media and services. Features where small, quiet and affordable is far more important than raw power. Then, there's physics: No current GPU achieves more than 20GFLOPS/W, and neither Sony nor MS have access to some sort of physics-defying alien technology.

Again: I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen. I'm just saying that the more believable leaks and rumors point at conservative hardware. It's also worth noting that there are no "OMG awesome monster hardware" statements from developers. Instead, we hear that the systems will be "very affordable" and "good enough".

It'd be funny if Sony made a mouselike device that works on any surface. Or got rid of the ds3.

Now that would be a radical.

All you need is movement, eyes, and interaction buttons.

It already exists ;)

images

McHuj

If the rumors are true that the the PS4 (and next xbox) will be based on Jaguar cores, I think it's a really smart move.

I think 8 Jaguar cores will be physically smaller than 4 Piledriver cores. Thanks to the lower clock the power consumption of 8 Jaguar cores should be substantially lower than a 4 core Piledriver.

Look at the TPD of a A10-5800k vs A10-5700, the clock difference is small ~11% (3.8 vs 3.4 GHz for the CPU) and ~5% for the GPU (800 vs 760 MHz), yet the TPD is about 50% worse for the 5800k compared to the 5700 (or 5700 is 35% better depending how you look at it)

In a 50W SOC, I wouldn't expect a huge generational jump, in a ~100W SOC, I think that's possible.

Jburton

Banned
That particular leak also mentions a CPU that would consume 300W and cost about as much as a small car. To put it bluntly: It's fake.

And this really isn't about optimism or pessimism. I'm just looking at what we have and try to extrapolate from there. I don't know what either company is really up to. Maybe I'm completely wrong. But there are a few things people tend to ignore: Sony, and especially MS, focus heavily on media and services. Features where small, quiet and affordable is far more important than raw power. Then, there's physics: No current GPU achieves more than 20GFLOPS/W, and neither Sony nor MS have access to some sort of physics-defying alien technology.

Again: I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen. I'm just saying that the more believable leaks and rumors point at conservative hardware. It's also worth noting that there are no "OMG awesome monster hardware" statements from developers. Instead, we hear that the systems will be "very affordable" and "good enough".

In recent times MS and Sony have added more services and media apps to their machines but to say that is their 'philosophy' when creating machines is an outright lie.

Both the 360 and the PS3 where very powerful when released, in so much as a closed box design ..... Nothing about small, quiet and affordable about either of those machines.

So what are you talking about?

In your quest (as it seems) to fool yourself into believing that the Wii U spec indicates the rough ballpark the other two consoles will inhabit (small, quiet and affordable) the very idea that the next machines from MS and Sony will be again going for a higher level of tech seems to not rest with you so well.

Do I believe that we are going to see something that resembles a fully specced cutting edge PC in a box for $350 - $400 dollars? ...... No.

But I fully expect those two machines to easily surpass the Wii U and for launch titles on both to display a jump from last gen that will give them that certain wow factor ....... something that is sorely missing on the Wii U and to its detriment I may add.

That Wii U thread about lack of hype smacks to me of a console lacking that wow factor.

And I think he's right but a little low on performance estimates. Looking back to 2001 when the PS3 was being designed: A 2001 study pointed to performance for XTV and Blu-ray players which were speculated to support it. This set a min performance spec for the PS3.

In 2010 AMD posted this article Part the Clouds: AMD Fusion APUs Ideal for Cloud Clients and this continuation of the article. Lots there that applies to us and it's an easy read. After reading think about Zlib having hardware support in AMD APUs and the W3C supporting WebCL and Zlib compression as the standards to be used by web browsers. Think about AMD also including a ARM A5 for DRM and more in their APUs.

Now in 2011 Sony presented this slide show which points to min specs for the PS4. Naked-eye S3D 10x Render Performance 5 2 eye views 300FPS Interesting, rumors are 300FPS (from Sony CTO) 10 eye views (5 S3D) at 30 FPS each and the target of 10X GPU performance. I guess this is where the specs for next generation come from for Sony. They want to support glassless 3-D on 4K TVs with the PS4. 10X = 1.8Tflops and 300FPS requires the memory bandwidth of GDDR5 or more likely Ultra wide I/O DDR4 with eDRAM L3 cache.

The entire CE industry is taking us for a technology ride. They look 10-20 years down the road to see what might be possible and develop roadmaps for new TV resolutions and features. Due to chicken and egg issues they release features like 1080P and blu-ray, which requires 1080P, years before it becomes an accepted by the FCC standard for Over The Air broadcasts. Smart TV started in ?2009? but won't be officially used in the US till 2013 with ATSC 2.0 but was implemented 2011 with hbbTV DVB in the EU .

Sony was criticized for including blu-ray and 1080P in the PS3 as it added to the costs. Why introduce 1080P in 2006 and 3-D in 2010, no one had a 1080P TV in 2006 and no one had a 3-D TV in 2010, who would watch it? 3-D is going to be part of ATSC 2.0 along with 1080P and XTV in 2013 (6 years after the first blu-ray and 1080P TVs released). See the 2001 study and ATSC PDFs

ATSC 3.0 in the US is going to follow the international standard to be implemented (hardware) by TVs produced starting 2018. Since it's an international standard, the TVs we buy from Korea, China or Japan will already have ATSC 3.0 tuners and CPUs that can handle downconverting or displays that can handle 4K to 8K resolutions. To Chicken and egg prepare for this like we had with; 1080P, 3-D and blu-ray, a 4K blu-ray is going to be released next year (2013) and the PS4 will support 4K blu-ray, 4K and possibly 8K video streams as well as new HDMI port resolutions that will be standards for next generation TVs. (6-7 years after 4K blu-ray is released we will see the FCC authorize ATSC 3.0 (2020)). Lots of assumptions in the dates above.

Some are now knocking Sony for supporting 4K in the PS4 as who has or can afford a 4K TV and it adds to the cost of the PS4. IF you understand the above, the reasons for a VERY expensive launch PS3 become clear and the reason for including 4K in the PS4 is obvious. This time 4K blu-ray is going to cost only a few dollars more than 2K blu-ray in a game console. The added speed/FPS needed for 4K blu-ray can also be used for multi-view "Eyefinity view" or to support Head mounted displays, TVs and handhelds at the same time.

The leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint @ 6X can be accurate if it did not take into account the efficiencies of HSA and GPU prefetch which equal about 2X or 2.4Tflops total including efficiencies. Anywhere in the 1.8Tf (10X) to 2.4Tf (2X6) would work for next generation.

The grapevine rumours suggest MS' console is further ahead in the pipeline. Though I fully expect both to release next holidays in some form.

We've also had grapevine rumors that the 720 design had a huge set back which required AMD to "start over" earlier this year, and that Sony in private has said they are doing everything in their power to beat Durango to market. Point is, we don't have any credible reason to discount one possibility over the other. Mostly the idea that the next Xbox will launch first seems to come from the fact that the 360 launched first, and nothing else. There isn't even an actual pattern to go on, since the PS2 was out well before the original Xbox. For the same reason tons of people on this forum assume the PS4 will be more expensive than the 720, but there's no real reason to believe that either. All actual information suggests that this generation will play out very different from the last, so it's pretty absurd so many are locked into these kinds of baseless assumptions.

20nm Quarter 1 2014 wafer pricing available here. And a PDF explaining the chart and why is here.

and http://www.globalfoundries.com/newsroom/2012/20120920.aspx

The 14nm-XM offering is based on a modular technology architecture that uses a 14nm FinFET device combined with elements of GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ 20nm-LPM process, which is well on its way to production. Leveraging the maturity of the 20nm-LPM technology will enable a smooth transition for customers looking to tap the benefits of FinFET SoCs as soon as possible. Technology development is already underway, with test silicon running through GLOBALFOUNDRIES’ Fab 8 in Saratoga County, N.Y. Early process design kits (PDKs) are available now, with customer tape-outs expected in 2013.
My understanding is 20nm then 6 months or more later 14nm-XM on a 20nm plane. If 14nm is taping out in 2013 then it supports 20nm in the 2011 Roadmap I previously posted is accurate. 20nm is possible for the PS4.

From the SOIconsortium which contradicts the above as to time to market and the choice to use bulk vs. SOI. Leakage appears to be the issue and is not as much of a factor for low power handheld SoCs. Will a Game console SoC be a low power design?

Summary http://www.soiconsortium.org/pdf/Economic_Impact_of_the_Technology_Choices_at_28nm_20nm.pdf
 Bulk HKMG CMOS will have low parametric yields at 20nm, and the rate of ramp-up to 90% of D0 yields will be 24 to 36 months.
 20nm FinFET structures will be high-cost to manufacture, and parametric yields will be low. The time to ramp up to D0 yields will be 24 to 36 months. Also, the operating voltage of FinFETs is likely to be 0.9V or potentially 1.0V.
 20nm FD SOI gives the lowest wafer cost even allowing for the $500 price of the SOI wafer. Parametric yields for FD SOI will be 63% higher than bulk CMOS at 20nm for die size 100mm². Power/performance characteristics of FD SOI will be 30% to 40% superior to bulk HKMG CMOS at 20nm. Analog porting of FD SOI will be easier than with the other options because of the superior sub-threshold characteristics. While the real competition is likely to be between FinFETs and FD SOI at 20nm, FinFETs are a new technology (high-volume production perspective), with significant cost penalties even in Q1/2016. Multiple factors need to be considered with the migration to 20nm, and the highly visible experience to date in attaining high yielding, volume production on 40nm and 28nm from the industry’s largest players provides visibility into what is likely to happen at 20nm bulk. Cost per chip or per function is a key factor in deciding which technology to adopt at 20nm. The IC industry is highly cost-driven, and it is critical to have good baseline data for costs. The semiconductor industry will, however, face additional challenges at 14nm and for sub-10nm technologies, but there is the near-term need to make the correct decision at 20nm. The costs associated with making the wrong decisions can be billions of dollars.

@ 28nm the following was calculated by a BY3D member for a APU.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1677711&postcount=15376 said:
$46.50 + 12.00 + 1.50 (packing) = $60 per APU (CPU+GPU).
I'd guess with memory, transposer, support chips and case = $260.00 which just about matches the Leaked Xbox powerpoint. (bottom of the slide) Notice also in the slide that the process could be 22nm SOI or 28nm G (High Power).

Slide9.jpg

FD-SOI is aimed at both low-power and high-performance.
"G" or HP/HPP @ 0.85V Vddnom is outperformed by FD-SOI @ 0.9V Vddnom
"LP" or SLP @ 1V Vddnom is vastly outperformed by FD-SOI @ 0.8V Vddnom

The choice to use bulk vs. SOI. Leakage appears to be the issue and is not as much of a factor for low power handheld SoCs. Will a Game console SoC be a low power design? Notice also in the slide that the process could be 22nm SOI or 28nm G (High Power). From the above and previous articles it appears that there are issues at both 28nm (TSMC not using the same gate first till 20nm) and 20nm (GloFlo and TSMC using the same process) but high power designs having problems with leakage.

The A10 is a High power design, Kabini (jaguar CPUs) is a low power design with lower clocks. So if the PS4 is a SoC following the A10 in a later 2014 design it will be high power and 28nm and only produced by GloFlo and IBM and if following the Kabini design but more 2014 features, it will be either 28nm or 20nm and at 20nm could be produced by IBM, GloFlo and TSMC. To confuse the issues even more, ST microelectronics transferred SOI technology to GloFlo to allow them to make STMicroelectronics SoCs.

IF a low power design then the chance of backward compatibility is much less. A PPU4SPU MPA CPU package would still need to run at 3.2 Ghz to provide the performance to support Backward compatibility. That is not possible in a low power design unless it's made with a 22nm SOI process and 2.5D attached to the AMD core chip.

The above are the choices and Sony must make a choice based on yield/cost. A low power design requires a lower clock and to get the same performance, more CUs which impacts yield with more elements that can fail. A High performance SoC can have a higher clock and fewer CUs which can increase yield. Sweetvar26 leaked Jaguar CPUs which indicates a low power design which also would be needed if Microsoft is serious about using the SoC in Cable Boxes.

With SOI the design could be high power (faster clock) and 20nm but only GloFlo using the ST microelectonics tech or IBM - GloFlo with technology they have not announced for any other product (Game Console volume can justify this especially if microsoft-sony.com applies to this).

yurinka

M°°nblade;44086662 said:
Not 1 or 2 years of difference with consoles that are in the ssame ballparks, 360 and PS3 were released 6 or 7 years ago.

Activision: Another Next-Gen Console Will Challenge Wii U Next Year – PS4 or Next Xbox Incoming?
http://gamersyndrome.com/2012/video-...i-u-next-year/.

Jeff, who do you think it is? PS4 or nextbox?
I don't know. IF there is no Xbox 361 then Sony is in slightly better shape to support XTV with true 1080P. Microsoft is in better shape with APPS for Windows 8 but the Industry standard will be Java and HTML4 (maybe HTML5 by 1st quarter 2013 when the standards are final) for XTV apps.

The better question is why no Xbox 361 which would have true 1080P and HDMI pass-thru. If you think of the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint, Microsoft made a big point of stating the reasons a Xbox 360 could not support XTV coming in 2013 in all it's forms. That has not changed and the FCC is on track as far as I can tell.

Possibles:

1) The economy won't support it.
2) Xbox 720 can be produced so cheap that there is no need for a Xbox 360 price point.
A) QOS allows two SKUs with the cheaper filling the 360 price point and it has BC.
B) binned SoCs with too many GPU elements bad or too much memory on the MCM carrier bad, or Jaguar CPUs bad can be Xbox 360 only SoCs.

Who knows.....

I had a weird dream and one of the many things that randomly happened in it is the 720 launched with a SKU that was $199 and included only 96GB in storage for some reason.

From the PS3 4K thread:

Sony PlayStation 3 Gets China 3C Certificate which is the first step in selling the PS3 to China.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/11/07/researcher-confirms-sony-playstation-3-remains-banned-in-china/ said:
According to foreign media, the PlayStation 3 game console developed by Sony Corporation (NYSE: SNE) has obtained the China Compulsory Certification (3C) certificate from the China Quality Certification Center (CQC).

This has aggravated outsiders' speculation that PlayStation 3 will enter Chinese market and break China's ban on game consoles.

Sony obtained the China Compulsory Certification (3C) in July 2012 for the PS3, but this in no way means it has bypassed the ban on consoles or that the ban on consoles has been overturned. A 3C is issued by the Certification and Accreditation Administration, which ultimately falls under the State Council. A 3C is required if a product is to be manufactured, sold, imported and used in China.

The ban on consoles refers to game machines. There have recently been several mentions of a related segment that Niko calls “game console alternatives.” These are TV-based, local multiplayer games controlled by a controller, but they run from a system on chip (SOC) or from a set-top box. This is a nascent segment but growing, and it seems that the console ban does not apply to it nor does it apply to PC gaming.
In any case the PS4 could be classified as a PC which is allowed in China. A PS3 fully supporting Linux and the PS4 supporting Linux is supposed to happen at the same time just after the PS4 is released. So first step is the China 3C certification and then fully supporting Linux on the PS3.

Foxconn Coming to the U.S.

Sina News reports that Foxconn, which makes components for Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) products among others, may open a factory in the United States. Among the sites being evaluated are Detroit and Los Angeles. Since labor is so cheap in China, it is hard to see why Foxconn would make such a decision and hurt its margins.

A SoC in a PS4 reduces the motherboard complexity and reduces Sony's need to have it produced in China. With that comes leverage, continuing to produce in China may be tied to a relaxing of restrictions.

With 3D stacking more and more will be packaged in one IC reducing labor costs and shifting where it might be economical to produce. TSMC in Taiwan may be further from the Manufacturing next generation and not as much of a factor.

i-Lo

Probably for the best. This could allow Sony to put in a better GPU and take advantage of full 3D stacking.

Or they'll simply go with Jaguar. Given that most of the hard hitting computational element may be handled by GPU, Sony may not hold back for Steamroller. That said, I am not expecting PS Orbis to debut next year, rather Q1 2014 and as such perhaps it's quite possible that the first customized version of Steamroller or an aged and highly modified variant Jaguar would be integrated into it.

KageMaru

Well some people keep referencing that old document here, so why can't he? =P

Look at how people here hang on Jeff's every word and he's referenced back to that document plenty of times.

If I understood one of the more recent rumors correctly, the PS4 is supposedly still ahead even after a 6 month delay. IIRC according to the rumor, Sony has already sent chips out one or two times while MS was just getting ready to send out their first chips.

Top Bottom