• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

If they are in fact going with a more services-oriented approach and do little or nothing to improve the European offering *AND* are less powerful, then they've already lost Europe to both the casuals and the core. It's hard to imagine them doing that, but they're the same people that released the Kin and Vista.

Yup, if they don't improve their services in PAL then they have lost Europe before they even launch there.

derFeef

And Samaritan doesn't even look that much better than what we currently have. Games like Beyond Two Souls and GoW Ascension look almost indistinguishable from Samaritan.

Diminishing returns...

Uhm... I know this thread is already a bit weird, but wow.

this is what I meant. epic lobbied microsoft this gen to up their ram, so why haven't they lobbied them to make sure durango runs their engine at max?
They realize that its not feasible. These consoles are likely being produced at 28nm and at least for the foreseeable future 22nm and below seem to cost more due to yield problems. So releasing a 600 dollar money losing behemoth would be terrible business since it would be that price for 6-7 years.

Drek

I will be shocked if we see games for either consoles running in sub HD.

That's my assumption, but then you could have said the same this generation and the best selling franchise has been sub-HD the entire time.

This is why 720p will likely wind up being standard. The average consumer didn't mind CoD's sub-HD res. Bumping everything to a minimum of 720p with less tearing/better IQ will still wow them, and give more system power for the bells and whistles.

Alucrid

Banned
Yep, I remember this. At the end of the day BOTH of these systems are going to produce some really nice looking games and exclusives will be where we will really see what each platform is best at. I don't know why we have all this dick waving over some specs. Where at the point where realistically, in 3 years time we're going to see games on these systems that we never thought possible, similar to this gen on both consoles.

It's going to be about services and exclusives.

what other gen does this remind me of...

Ashes

Banned
And as such we're generally out of touch with what the public wants/desires. We can wring our hands and gnash our teeth every time a new iOS game sells insane numbers, but the reality is that we're in the minority. So stating that power is the deciding factor in sales is nuts. What could decide sales could be as simple as a Nintendogs, Angry Birds or Minecraft. As much as we may hate

Oh I wasn't challenging all your assertions. 3DS for example sells better than PSVita.

this is what I meant. epic lobbied microsoft this gen to up their ram, so why haven't they lobbied them to make sure durango runs their engine at max?

Do we know that they didn't (and failed)? Maybe Microsoft scanned the landscape, saw one development house after another crashing and burning, saw Wii and Kinect succeed, and decided the focus shouldn't be on expensive games because expensive huge games are dinosaurs. So here's a box with access to tons of services and will also play games in an attractive way. And oh yeah, don't forget to buy an XBL subscription. It's possible that what we believed to be two new next gen consoles similar in power and scope may turn out to be false. Perhaps Microsoft and Sony really are diverging.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wait are there people who think their jaws aren't gonna drop when MS/Sony & 3rd party devs show their nextgen games because they have a highend PC?

Jack_AG

Banned
Yes, and while they're at it they should forget about making money too.

Considering most devs build past hardware and downscale to fit - one gets downscaled a bit more than the next to achieve performance parity (framerate locks, AA, etc).

I don't see how scaling back detail in one over another will cost more money. If you can explain this instead of making blanket statements I would appreciate it.

I'm also not talking about multiple engines per hardware kit - I'm strictly talking about overall fidelity. One version of SUPER GAME X will push more detail in models, textures, etc. Doesn't have to be a different engine.

Edit:
I'm genuinely curious about how it will cost more money to downsize on a single platform using the same engine. It's not like engines have a "must be this tall to ride" sign for assets. Things can be scaled back for performance.

LCfiner

I have always claimed next-gen will target 1280/1920x1080 as a baseline and I stand by that comment.

No way in Hell 720p is making a return next-gen.

they might target 1080p, but there will be 720p games. absolutely. fancy graphical effects and lighting will always be more impressive to the larger audience than native rendering resolution.

derFeef

Wait are there people who think their jaws aren't gonna drop when MS/Sony & 3rd party devs show their nextgen games because they have a highend PC?

If you have a highend PC you will look at any game and go "eh" - even if it's a PC exclusive and looks wonderful. ;)

Durango bringing the weak sauce. Orbis will be mine. Durango too... But after I can get it for less than $200 without subscription.

And apps and services don't mean much when it comes to MS. They will simply put those apps and services behind a pay wall.

First of all, learn what strawman actually means. Second, how am I wrong? The general public doesn't give a shit. GAF says Wii is doomed to fail (lol waggle). Public can't buy enough of them fast enough. GAF says Kinect doomed (LOL jumping around like a fool in front of a camera). Kinect extends the life of 360 by years. GAF says Vita's gonna kill 3DS (Power rawr!). Vita flops. Tell me again how much the general public cares about specs. If whatever fad game/feature comes out next is exclusive to one console, that's the one the public is going to buy. That's what sells consoles/handhelds to the masses. Microsoft is most likely going to market the Kinect as more accurate etc etc blah blah Consumers wont care. The newness of the device is gone. It better have something more than upgraded specs or it will get ignored.

Especially if the rumor that Sony is adding 4 more gigs of ram are true.
Since I have to spell it out.
The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

You responding "buh buh look at move it sucked" in response to a comment about how impressed people are gonna be with PS4s next gen graphics is such a blatant and obvious example of a basic strawman. It baffled me that you would deny it whilst trying to maintain that you know what it means.

I won't even comment on the rest of your drivel filled rant.

Derrick01

Banned

You don't spend a lot of time around the PC crowd do you? There's some in the last of us thread saying how ugly it is. They're notorious for being like that.

Personally even though I am a PC gamer I'm apparently really easy to please with graphics. I still think Watch Dogs is currently the most impressive next gen game I've seen because of the detail in it that wasn't in 1313, assuming the demo wasn't faked like Far Cry 3.

You have to remember that PC hardware and capabilities matter very little in the console world. Simply there are millions and millions of people out there who do not care about what is going on with the PC and will never use that platform for gaming. To those people if the Durango and Orbis release with a jump in graphics that looks good enough to be considered the next gen then people will buy it and be happy. These people are not going to look at how high end PC games look, compare them to Durango, then make a decision because to them the PC is not an option.

On GAF people may be disappointed with the specs and what they can do in comparison to high end PCs but GAF is an extremely small segment of the game buying public.

I don't know how anyone can be happy with the specs in the OP to be honest, when the 360 launched it had a better GPU than any PC GPU back then, if the rumors are true this time it (next xbox) will feature a GPU that is barley comparable to a mid-range PC GPU.

Since I have to spell it out.

You responding "buh buh look at move it sucked" in response to a comment about how impressed people are gonna be with PS4s next gen graphics is such a blatant and obvious example of a basic strawman. It baffled me that you would deny it whilst trying to maintain that you know what it means.

I won't even comment on the rest of your drivel filled rant.

It's called an example. I know you desperately want my example to be a strawman, but it isn't. Someone stated that once people see the specs, the battle is essentially over. That is dumb. Dumb beyond words. Especially given the history of Move, Kinect, Vita, Wii, 3DS. The general public don't care. Nor should they.

RdN

they might target 1080p, but there will be 720p games. absolutely. fancy graphical effects and lighting will always be more impressive to the larger audience than native rendering resolution.

I don't know, man.. With this specs, it sure feels like MS will bet on upscale and public ignorance to market "1080p games".

Jack_AG

Banned
You don't spend a lot of time around the PC crowd do you? There's some in the last of us thread saying how ugly it is. They're notorious for being like that.

Personally even though I am a PC gamer I'm apparently really easy to please with graphics. I still think Watch Dogs is currently the most impressive next gen game I've seen because of the detail in it that wasn't in 1313, assuming the demo wasn't faked like Far Cry 3.

As a PC/Console gamer I get impressed by both, truthfully. Some console games blow me away even though I can throw down BF3/Ultra/60.

Then again I must be easy to please, like you. Fine by me :)

Durango bringing the weak sauce. Orbis will be mine. Durango too... But after I can get it for less than $200 without subscription.

And apps and services don't mean much when it comes to MS. They will simply put those apps and services behind a pay wall.

Eh relative to each other, Orbis does have the better specs but I wouldnt call Durango weak sauce compared to Orbis. We've just entered a stage where the best performance is hard to shrink down without being costly. Maybe in 10 years when stacking and sub 22nm yields can finally be mass produced reliably.

Edit: and i say this even as someone who will not buy durango but will buy orbis. Sony and Nintendo fullfill my console and handheld needs (Japanese games). MS does not. PC fulfills my western game needs.

Derrick01

Banned
Someone stated that once people see the specs, the battle is essentially over.

I didn't say this. You saw it because you wanted me to say that. You seem to have a habit of twisting my comments in these Xbox threads.

I quoted someone who was basically downplaying a spec advantage by saying "jaws will drop regardless", which may be true, but to say that a noticeable advantage won't provide a noticeable difference from the 1st parties is ridiculous.

Again, and I feel like I have to keep saying this to people in Xbox threads, sales were not a part of that discussion.

I don't know how anyone can be happy with the specs in the OP to be honest, when the 360 launched it had a better GPU than any PC GPU back then, if the rumors are true this time it (next xbox) will feature a GPU that is barley comparable to a mid-range PC GPU.

The point being, the overwhelming majority of the gaming public does not care about spec sheets. If MS and Sony release games that look like a generational leap above the 360 and PS3 then those consumers will be very happy with the systems.

The posting of PC screens in comparison to screens from the "underpowered" systems doesnt matter because those people dont look for PC screens or even care about them.

I don't know, man.. With this specs, it sure feels like MS will bet on upscale and public ignorance to market "1080p games".

They can bet on that all they want, but if they're going services-focused, they have to realize that Sony is not a threat. Apple is. And Apple will handily crush them if they're not offering something completely spectacular that Apple can't. And in doing so they'll lose core gamers to Sony, and services to Apple. Hard to imagine they'd be that stupid, but after the PS3/Vita/Wii U/Zune/Vista/Kin decision making, it's hard to put anything past any company.

Ty4on

Think of the most dissapointing (hardware wise) smartphone released this year.
Compare it to this:

I see, one fits in the pocket while the other one doesn't.

If I'm not mistaken then the Durango GPU looks like an AMD 7700 series and the Orbis like an AMD 7800 series. If so then the difference is pretty big as an 7850 has twice the FPS as a 7770. (both use GDDR5, but the 7700 series have 72MB/s bandwith while the 7800 series have 153.6 because of a bigger bus and higher clock speed)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And you woke up
gdc-see-what-next-gen-games-will-look-like-20110302084518836-000.jpg

Beyond_1.jpg

I'm sure the tech is there but I kinda see what he mean, Samaritan doesn't look that much better

Perkel

Banned
Interesting.

Bunch of number crunchers here said 4x and 8x MSAA couldn't happen with the numbers we were given. (Don't think they were specifically referring to FSAA).

Just because it support it doesn't mean it will have power to do that. Same as Gforce FX5xxx series of GPU which were DX9 compatible. Most of they were just shit in doing DX9 games.

They can bet on that all they want, but if they're going services-focused, they have to realize that Sony is not a threat. Apple is. And Apple will handily crush them if they're not offering something completely spectacular that Apple can't. And in doing so they'll lose core gamers to Sony, and services to Apple. Hard to imagine they'd be that stupid, but after the PS3/Vita/Wii U/Zune/Vista/Kin decision making, it's hard to put anything past any company.

Does anyone even use Apple tv? Ive never seen one outside of a Best Buy.

OryoN

I think a lot of people are really underestimating what this console will be capable of, and are simply looking for numbers which they think they can easily compare. I'm no tech guy, but just looking at the diagrams and reading the article, Durango seems more heavily designed around caches/low latencies (read: really fast local processing) than I imagined. That's not something to take lightly.

(This is a similar kind of design philosophy Nintendo used with GameCube - that allow such a modest console to pull of some incredible feats - but obviously on a much larger scale now)

People seem to be insisting that Orbis will simply be unmatched by Durango every step of the way, but I'm predicting a much more heated contest than that. Also, given how much more mature the Durango's toolset is expected to be, out of the gate - with MS's ownership of DirectX API and all - I wouldn't even be surprised if Durango shows up at E3 with arguably better looking games. If that happens, just remember, you heard it here first! ;p

Do we know that they didn't (and failed)? Maybe Microsoft scanned the landscape, saw one development house after another crashing and burning, saw Wii and Kinect succeed, and decided the focus shouldn't be on expensive games because expensive huge games are dinosaurs. So here's a box with access to tons of services and will also play games in an attractive way. And oh yeah, don't forget to buy an XBL subscription. It's possible that what we believed to be two new next gen consoles similar in power and scope may turn out to be false. Perhaps Microsoft and Sony really are diverging.

Surely they've noticed Kinect has basically...died?
They are diverging though; you are right. Am not sure why people were denying it just a month or so ago; there is a difference in what their planning to sell.

We'll see how MS plan to stand out in time.

nib95

Banned
Based on the above shots, Beyond Souls looks better. But a single screen of just a facial close up only tells a tiny bit of the full story.

You have to remember that PC hardware and capabilities matter very little in the console world. Simply there are millions and millions of people out there who do not care about what is going on with the PC and will never use that platform for gaming. To those people if the Durango and Orbis release with a jump in graphics that looks good enough to be considered the next gen then people will buy it and be happy. These people are not going to look at how high end PC games look, compare them to Durango, then make a decision because to them the PC is not an option.

On GAF people may be disappointed with the specs and what they can do in comparison to high end PCs but GAF is an extremely small segment of the game buying public.

Again it's not about how much people expect individually, you don't have to go the subjective route to assess (heh, butts) a piece of hardware..
But when making an informed purchase you compare the value presented to what is available right now, not what was available 8 years ago.
I'm talking about price/performance, features and how technologically impressive something is.

When sony or ms go 'here is a 7770 equivalent gpu in a 499 euro box' (arbitrary numbers for arguments sake) you don't go my that is a step up from an xbox 360 take my money...
I'm sure stockholders would love you for this attitude and logic though, dang:p

Fact remains that it is 2013, a close equivalent both in performance and architecture to a 65W gpu (taking the 7970m orbis is supposed to be based on and ignoring that the orbis gpu is cut and downclocked for argument's sake) with 256bit bus is not cutting edge nor high end nor expensive.
Can you be happy with it? of course! but it is what it is (and the smart consumer will keep that in mind when they decide what they will pay for it)

Then when you compare the durango gpu to it you can still think it's enough for you, but you don't go rationalise that opinion by claiming it's great because it's a significant step up from xbox 360.
It still very much is what it is.

If people proclaim dissapointment or a neutral stance you don't counter with 'but it's still better than xbox 360/ps3

Imo informed purchases make for happy consumers and less buyer's remorse and less fanboy crap in general.

I'm already awaiting the trolls who will go red mist mode and divert with a 'well what were you expecting a 300W gpu in a console'
that is for another thread.

THE:MILKMAN

He has better durango sources?

Early leaks of orbis are in the same ball park as now. They even said the same codename. Liverpool. And mentioned the proposed move from 2gb to 4gb.

I think Amd pushed for 8 core jaguar over quad core steamroller though.

note: sweetvar seemed to imply more resources going with Microsoft. And iirc correctly, even gaf verified devs called x3 'beastly.' So did ex game reviewers. ;)

Well Gaf mods have "backed" VGLeaks afaik and if they both have the same docs.... And aegies also said the IGN story about Durango having HD6670 was true but for Orbis instead.

I haven't seen any evidence of Orbis aiming for, or a dev kit sporting, a HD6670 anywhere else correct me if I'm wrong.

Jaguar to Steamroller cores was a sideways move possibly because Steamroller wasn't ready? And the 2>4GB move was always an aim.

I haven't seen any other evidence of a spec bump.

FourMyle

gdc-see-what-next-gen-games-will-look-like-20110302084518836-000.jpg

Beyond_1.jpg

I'm sure the tech is there but I kinda see what he mean, Samaritan doesn't look that much better

plus the fact that Samaritan is not going to be running at anywhere close to 1080p on these consoles and nowhere near close to 60fps either.

It just becomes that much less impressive when you realize that the jump doesn't look that significant and there won't even be a jump at all in terms of fps/resolution compared to current gen games.

Top Bottom