• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

jbug617

Banned
My prediction for E3:

Exclusives:
Alan Wake 2
LionHead MMO
Black Tusk Shooter Teaser
Ryse
New Epic Game
Forza 5/PGR
New AAA Rare Game
343 Teaser ???

Timed Exclusives
Destiny

Third Party First Peak:
Next Gen COD
Next Gen Madden
At least 4x more next gen games.

Also would no surprise me if Microsoft gets something exclusive from Dead Rising 3.

CLEEK

There are a ton of apps available in the UK. Including Sky Player which I use almost daily and isn't available on any other console. If it wasn't for that, and that fact that all of my friends game on 360's I probably wouldn't pay though. They're going to have to have some compelling new feature to make the price seem worth it next gen.

I know you specified 'other console', but Sky Player is available on PC, Mac and iOS and Android. All for free.

That's what boggles my mind about Live subscription. MS expect you to pay them to allow you to use your other paid for services. It would be fair enough if you paid MS an annual subscription which included Sky, Netflix etc, but that will never happen.

CLEEK

Amen to that bro

The Vita has the fastest / most responsive OS of any console or handheld yet. And that uses a tiny 128MB of RAM for the OS. And conversely, the WiiU uses a whopping 1GB for its OS overhead, and it's slow as shit.

You don't need 3GB for a nippy OS, and more to the point, throwing RAM at it doesn't automatically make it fast.

ZaCH3000

My prediction for E3:

Exclusives:
Alan Wake 2
LionHead MMO X
Ryse X
New Epic Game *
Forza 5/PGR
New AAA Rare Game *
343 Teaser ???

Timed Exclusives
Destiny (Timed DLC and exclusive MS E3 appearance, simultaneous release)

Third Party First Peak:
Next Gen COD
Next Gen Madden

Highlights are likely. Stars are Kinect games. X is a no show.

The Vita has the fastest / most responsive OS of any console or handheld yet. And that uses a tiny 128MB of RAM for the OS. And conversely, the WiiU uses a whopping 1GB for its OS overhead, and it's slow as shit.

You don't need 3GB for a nippy OS, and more to the point, throwing RAM at it doesn't automatically make it fast.

The Wii U is using 1GB? No. That can't be right. 1GB? Nintendo are inept as hell if that's true

As for the 3gb Durango stuff I'm expecting some Minority Report level of tech with that.

nib95

Banned
My prediction for E3:

Exclusives:
Alan Wake 2
LionHead MMO
Ryse
New Epic Game
Forza 5/PGR
New AAA Rare Game
343 Teaser ???

Timed Exclusives
Destiny

Third Party First Peak:
Next Gen COD
Next Gen Madden

Pretty close I think.

My prediction for E3:

Exclusives:
Alan Wake 2
LionHead MMO
Ryse
New Epic Game
Forza 5/PGR
New AAA Rare Game
343 Teaser ???

Timed Exclusives
Destiny

Third Party First Peak:
Next Gen COD
Next Gen Madden

This is the first I have looked into Black Tusk studios. Do we know anything about the people that work there and the quality of work we should expect from them?

And does 343 have multiple teams?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm in the more Ram is better camp, and if 3 GB of dedicated Ram makes the OS run faster then god bless. Most annoying thing about these consoles is how terribly slow it is to navigate to the content you want.

3 GB is for normal in-game operation... which Xbox 360 used a massive 32 MB...

Dashboard itself could use all 8GB just like 360 could use all 512 MB

The content access speed is more a failure of design philosophy rather than a failure of engineering at least when compared to original dashboard design which offered a simpler hierarchy of content but had miserable content load times. Scroll down 20 titles? Please wait while we load more!

Xamdou

Destiny is timed exclusive? I thought the contract that was out there was old and now it's multi-platform?

Destiny is a multi platform game since it is being published by Activision, but MS will get the timed exclusive rolling off Bungie/Activision very easily.

DopeyFish

I doubt Destiny is a timed exclusive.

There's no reason why it would be, given the ease of porting for the coming generation.

Bungie wasn't let go without catches, FYI

Microsoft has first right to publish bungie games (don't know how many and for how long) but considering bungie is working on an entire series, an agreement was probably established to have first game exclusive to Xbox just so Microsoft didn't magically decide the second game would be published by them. (Which is also likely how bungie was able to sign a multi year publishing agreement with actiblizz)

Jack_AG

Banned
3 GB is for normal in-game operation... which Xbox 360 used a massive 32 MB...

Dashboard itself could use all 8GB just like 360 could use all 512 MB

The content access speed is more a failure of design philosophy rather than a failure of engineering at least when compared to original dashboard design which offered a simpler hierarchy of content but had miserable content load times. Scroll down 20 titles? Please wait while we load more!

I believe both consoles will be streamlining the OS experience both in and out of games. Outside of design elements - I think MS has a definite leg or 100 up on Sony this gen but if the Vita is anything to go by - both consoles should provide great OS experiences with MS edging Sony out - but not by the same margins we're seeing with 360/PS3. I think MS will have the better OS again but I also think that Sony's will be great, in general, just a little bit shy of MSs tho. Both should be above the "this is very nice" bar.

I gotta say - taking a look at what MS and Sony have done this gen (barring any hiccups) I am really excited to see what they bring to the table. They slugged it out pretty hard and in the end we benefited from it.

Let them do it again this gen. Gamers can only benefit from it unless it causes one of them to bow out next next gen - in which case - that will suck. Competition improved both the 360 and PS3 and I think they would be radically different if the other hadn't existed.

Fuck I just can't wait for this gen to go down! Good luck to MS and Sony!

Proxy

Microsoft has first right to publish bungie games (don't know how many and for how long) but considering bungie is working on an entire series, an agreement was probably established to have first game exclusive to Xbox just so Microsoft didn't magically decide the second game would be published by them. (Which is also likely how bungie was able to sign a multi year publishing agreement with actiblizz)

Source? Because that seems like bullshit.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I seriously doubt it.

The contract certainly didn't specify anything of the sort, and Activision isn't the type of company to allow a franchise to be a timed exclusive, especially one they're trying to establish as the next big thing. Activision is taking a significant investment on this project, and they're not going to be held back by releasing on just one platform.

I don't believe Bungie left amicably with Microsoft, which is why the two never signed a publishing deal. Once they signed with Activision, there's basically no strings attached to Microsoft whatsoever.

DopeyFish

I believe both consoles will be streamlining the OS experience both in and out of games. Outside of design elements - I think MS has a definite leg or 100 up on Sony this gen but if the Vita is anything to go by - both consoles should provide great OS experiences with MS edging Sony out - but not by the same margins we're seeing with 360/PS3. I think MS will have the better OS again but I also think that Sony's will be great, in general, just a little bit shy of MSs tho. Both should be above the "this is very nice" bar.

I gotta say - taking a look at what MS and Sony have done this gen (barring any hiccups) I am really excited to see what they bring to the table. They slugged it out pretty hard and in the end we benefited from it.

Let them do it again this gen. Gamers can only benefit from it unless it causes one of them to bow out next next gen - in which case - that will suck. Competition improved both the 360 and PS3 and I think they would be radically different if the other hadn't existed.

Fuck I just can't wait for this gen to go down! Good luck to MS and Sony!

Microsoft actually fucked themselves OS wise. They really couldn't add anything without compromising experience.

MS started 32 MB and had to stay there. You can NEVER increase your OS footprint.
Sony started at 96 MB and eventually went down to 50 MB.

I am almost 99% sure Microsoft has been holding an absolute incredible amount of stuff back. I am absolutely ecstatic with what MS may be cooking up.

Xamdou

Either a timed exclusive agreement for next gen Xbox first through an agreement with MS/Bungie or $$$ with Activision. Regardless of the reason they will delay the PS4 version.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think it just said that they have the option of not making a PS3 title.

No, they are/were actively hiring PS3 developers.

It just allowed them to not have the PS3 port done day 1 due to lack of resources if they couldn't get it out in time. That's all.

Not sure why people think there's still some sort of MS exclusivity clause still in place since they signed with Activision.

My prediction for E3:

Exclusives:
Alan Wake 2
LionHead MMO
Ryse
New Epic Game
Forza 5/PGR
New AAA Rare Game
343 Teaser ???

Timed Exclusives
Destiny

Third Party First Peak:
Next Gen COD
Next Gen Madden

Pretty much what I think as well except I think it will be a teaser for the AAA core game from Rare rather than a legit reveal.

Truespeed

Doubt it. Activision does timed exclusive dlc not entire games.

I agree. This is Activision we're talking about. Leave no penny unturned is their motto. They would be negligent if they did that considering what they paid Bungie. Long term timed exclusives always tank because interest has waned and they've also blown through their marketing budget.

DopeyFish

Source? Because that seems like bullshit.

Before the breakup was official... It was coming out with the rumored split... Considering the split occurred shortly after the leaks, the information is almost guaranteed accurate

Bungie has declined to discuss their contractual obligations with Microsoft to the media, though.

Google it if you must. But you can be damn sure its not bullshit and it does exist... Or did at least if its contingent on exclusivity. And in regards to contract with actiblizz, they don't or possibly can't (as a requirement of contract) mention these obligations with Microsoft freely

Proxy

Before the breakup was official... It was coming out with the rumored split... Considering the split occurred shortly after the leaks, the information is almost guaranteed accurate

Bungie has declined to discuss their contractual obligations with Microsoft to the media, though.

Google it if you must. But you can be damn sure its not bullshit and it does exist... Or did at least if its contingent on exclusivity. And in regards to contract with actiblizz, they don't or possibly can't (as a requirement of contract) mention these obligations with Microsoft freely

You're making the claims please provide the source to back them up.

My prediction for E3:

Exclusives:
Alan Wake 2
LionHead MMO
Ryse
New Epic Game
Forza 5/PGR
New AAA Rare Game
343 Teaser ???

Timed Exclusives
Destiny

Third Party First Peak:
Next Gen COD
Next Gen Madden

Seems pretty right on.

jbug617

Banned
You're making the claims please provide the source to back them up.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/digitaljoystick/2007/10/03/bungie-microsoft-split-reports-flames-on/

Our source also revealed that even though Microsoft will retain the rights to Halo, Microsoft also has the right of first refusal on future games This means that Microsoft has the first shot at publishing Bungie’s future titles. How this will come into play if Bungie decides they want future game X to appear on the PlayStation 3 and Wii alongside an Xbox 360 release will make things quite interesting.

What would be the chances of MS publishing the Durango version of Destiny with an exclusivity period? Thus allowing Activision to publish 360/ps3 versions later.

Microsoft actually fucked themselves OS wise. They really couldn't add anything without compromising experience.

MS started 32 MB and had to stay there. You can NEVER increase your OS footprint.
Sony started at 96 MB and eventually went down to 50 MB.

I am almost 99% sure Microsoft has been holding an absolute incredible amount of stuff back. I am absolutely ecstatic with what MS may be cooking up.

A lot of things have been added since 2005.

nib95

Banned
3gb OS footprint is huge. If they do use close to that much, they better bring features galore, along with a stunningly beautiful and efficient UI. Reason I'm sceptical is partly because I absolutely dislike the 360's current UI, an absolute cluttered mess, and partly because I dislike Windows 8 (tiles to me is regressive and overly simplistic). The original blades looked better than what they have today, and Windows 7 > Windows 8 as well.

DopeyFish

Interesting. If it's true Activision really screwed up. Which makes it hard to believe.

No no, activision likely forced to deal with it. Microsoft probably agreed to waive their right entirely as long as first game was exclusive-

Bungie wanted to release a grand saga of sorts, while maintaining creative control and IP ownership
Activision wanted to milk another cow
Microsoft wanted a tangible benefit

I'm assuming the right of refusal isn't permanent but its still not in best interests of Microsoft to burn bridges completely

This is all entirely speculation, of course.

DopeyFish

A lot of things have been added since 2005.

To the dashboard, yes. But list what's been added to in game/guide experience outside of

Party chat
More notification types
Windows live messenger
and launching from a list of apps

I am drawing blanks

When talking about limited for OS we are strictly referring to persistent processes which are running at all times the system is on regardless of what application or game is running

Pooya

why link to rumors, it was official

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2007/10/05/bungie-going-independent-microsoft-confirms-update/

Microsoft Corp. today announced a plan for Bungie Studios, the developers of the “Halo” franchise, to embark on a path to become an independent company. Microsoft will retain an equity interest in Bungie, at the same time continuing its long-standing publishing agreement between Microsoft Game Studios and Bungie for the Microsoft-owned “Halo” intellectual property as well as other future properties developed by Bungie.

Apath

Vita requires loading for every app and requires you to sign back into PSN over every little thing. Im not sure if those are necessarily issues with memory though.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Vita requires loading for every app and requires you to sign back into PSN over every little thing. Im not sure if those are necessarily issues with memory though.

Not once the app is open.

You don't have to sign in again unless you've turned the system off and have been signed out.

I thought it was 256mb? You got put it in to context though. When you compare it to the total amount of memory in the system. Its half of the system memory, and 40% of the total memory. 128mb would still be an OS footprint of 20%. Durango would be 38% if it was 3GB, slightly less than the Vita.

Pooya

What would be the chances of MS publishing the Durango version of Destiny with an exclusivity period? Thus allowing Activision to publish 360/ps3 versions later.

actually looking back at the contract here, I remember this part:

destiny2eruax.png

this part:
"the parties acknowledge and agree that the budget set forth in the payment schedule set forth on Exhibit E attached, hereto is scoped to delivery of only the Xbox 360 SKU (Plus Content Pipeline) for Destiny Game #1, the parties currently..."

budget of the supposed 720 version, where that's coming from then? doesn't mention anything.

there is no mention of PS4 whatsoever for the first game, it's starting second game that they are considering it. Destiny game #1 platforms are 360, 720, PS3. not even PC.

Top Bottom