• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

Karak

Followed by Phil Harrison coming out with the Half-Life 3 logo tattooed on his head.

I know it is "just a job" but seeing Phil Harrison involved in ANYTHING MS that doesn't involve crap slinging is so alien to me. I get what he wants in the industry and get that he has some talents but...so many years of him lambasting others. Its going to be a weird weird couple years.

have you guys read sebbbi's thread on memory bandwidth vs memory amount? very good read.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62108

All you need to know is:

My conclusion: Usable memory amount is very much tied to available memory bandwidth. More bandwidth allows the games to access more memory. So it's kind of counterintuitive to swap faster smaller memory to a slower larger one. More available memory means that I want to access more memory, but in reality the slower bandwidth allows me to access less. So the percentage of accessible memory drops radically.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They'll be trying throughout production of the units to resolve any problems.

If they have their hearts set on launching on (just pulling lots of numbers out of my ass here) lets say January 1st 2014 and have been told they'll get a 50% yield for the first 3 months then they'll budget for that. But they might get to that point and find AMD have managed to get a 60% yield, or worse it might have dropped to a 40% yield. If they were really struggling then Microsoft would have to decide what to do. Accept the piss poor yield and either pass the price on to the consumer or swallow it hoping the increase over time, or delay the launch by say 3 months. Swallowing the extra cost could cost millions, but delaying 3 months waiting for yields to improve might cost them a lot of sales.

AFAIK (again, I'm expecting to be corrected) all new fabrication processes suffer from some kind of yield problem. Some are easy to iron out, some are less so.

As Sony and Microsoft, you want as high a yield as possible as that way each working chip costs less and they can either lose less on each console or maybe go into the black.

Sure, but if the rumours are true, and yields were low, wouldn't you consider dropping a CU, or some of the edram? The jaguar cores are relatively tiny compared to everything else, seems odd to focus on those as a yield improving exercise

iceatcs

Have any mainstream media outlets started using the term 'wizard jizz' yet?

Our dream* of getting it mentioned in one of E3 keynotes might depend on it.

*My dream.

I thou that gif is so perfect for this term 'Wizard Jizz'
3717283_o.gif

Ales

Neo Member
Is it time to Panic yet about the 720?

Yes
According to rumors in the graphic will not be on par with the ps4,will be included kinect and we know very little about his AAA line-up and new first party.
Hopefully MS surprise us with megaton and a powerful console but the rumors are not very optimistic.

Withnail

Yes
According to rumors in the graphic will not be on par with the ps4,will be included kinect and we know very little about his AAA line-up and new first party.
Hopefully MS surprise us with megaton and a powerful console but the rumors are not very optimistic.

Starting to look like MS have Durangoofed.

Let's hope Secret Durango Component will save us.

Leflus

Indeed, I love the guy but he became a vice around the series' throat.
It should be interesting to see how Scott Henson will handle the studio. He mentions the Fable franchise in his linkedin profile:
Responsible for the recruiting and building a world class studio leadership team as well as stewarding the hugely successful Fable franchise into the future.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Durango doesn't have two scalers, but the stuff that post was insinuating isn't too far off the mark.

It's talking about dynamic resolution of a main frame buffer but overlaying a full HD UI. Surely that doesn't need anything special, you can do it now if you have the memory for two framebuffers? If they have some special hardware that can combine play fields like a SNES, then that might make it faster/easier.

Not sure I'd have complete confidence in a company architecting ways to get away with lower res rendering though. But will be interesting to see how it turns out.

B.O.O.M

Not really sure how I feel about a 'water racing' game. Obviously need to see it in action first but makes me think it will be a kinect game

aegies

It's talking about dynamic resolution of a main frame buffer but overlaying a full HD UI. Surely that doesn't need anything special, you can do it now if you have the memory for two framebuffers? If they have some special hardware that can combine play fields like a SNES, then that might make it faster/easier.

Not sure I'd have complete confidence in a company architecting ways to get away with lower res rendering though. But will be interesting to see how it turns out.

They're not talking about them as frame buffers. Multiple "hardware display planes."

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Have any mainstream media outlets started using the term 'wizard jizz' yet?

Our dream* of getting it mentioned in one of E3 keynotes might depend on it.

*My dream.

Unlikely "jizz", but someone could easily say "wizard jazz" with a wink and a nod.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They're not talking about them as frame buffers. Multiple "hardware display planes."

But you'd draw into them like framebuffers?

SNES has multiple playfields which let you do stuff like parallax scrolling with no overhead from a programming point of view - it was a free effect. Maybe like that? And maybe it is linked with the HDMi in and overlay - so like a genlock.

THE:MILKMAN

SNES has multiple playfields which let you do stuff like parallax scrolling with no overhead from a programming point of view - it was a free effect. Maybe like that? And maybe it is linked with the HDMi in and overlay - so like a genlock.

So this would be a next gen Mode 7 or something?

aegies

It's not related to the HDMI in.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Not really sure how I feel about a 'water racing' game. Obviously need to see it in action first but makes me think it will be a kinect game

give me next gen wave race. and a tropical island to free roam and play around in. with jumps. and dolphins. yeah.

Mrbob

give me next gen wave race. and a tropical island to free roam and play around in. with jumps. and dolphins. yeah.

Yup. It's been too long since Wave Race. My only concern is I'm suspicious current day Rare can pull it off.

If it's quality I'll be there day one.

B.O.O.M

As long as that's not kinect only or something yes, could be a lot of fun

I'm keeping my expectations low though...less chance of disappointment

Top Bottom